A live view from Nieuw Amsterdam on her New Years cruise

Copper10-8

Day 4 – 01/03/14; Part II; Sailing for Costa Maya, Mexico; Our evening started with an invitation for cocktails in the Crow’s Nest at 7:30 pm. Right inside the port side entrance was NADM’s Captain, Edward van Zaane, a 32-year HAL veteran and at sea since 1977, Hotel Director, Stan Kuppens and Cruise Director, Dave Shea. Towards the front seating area were already a whole bunch of people so we steered to starboard and wound up on the dance floor, having a nice conversation and getting reacquainted (worked with all three on MADM) with NADM’s GRM Susana, GRS Joenna and IC Hoda, “Hellooooooo”. Had a lot of laughs bringing up past experiences!

8:00 pm rolled around way too soon, so we exited stage left and mozied all the way aft for the Manhattan dining room and our assigned table (#304) on the upper level where we enjoyed a romantic dinner for two at a large table for ten, looking in each other eyes and whispering sweet nothings to each other, over a background of violin music, chocolate-covered strawberries, a dozen pigeons being released and candlelight. We were not disturbed by our other eight tablemates because they had obviously made alternate dining plans tonight and were not present. For our dinner selection, we chose Caesar Salad, Cream of Green Asparagus Soup, Grilled Coho Salmon, basted with soy-ginger glaze, served with wasabi mashed potatoes and seasonal veggies (Maria) and a Perfectly Grilled Boneless Breast of Chicken, lightly seasoned, with red-skin potatoes, steamed broccoli and carrots (moi). For dessert, we selected The Alize, a light refreshing passion fruit mousse, sponge cake and soft meringue (Maria) and Raspberry Frozen Yogurt (moi).

After dinner, we went up to the Silk Den and partook in the consumption of a Silk Den cocktail; pretty tasty! The prime entertainment was somebody we did not want to miss for the 10:00 pm show and that was comedienne Julie Barr and her fuchsia colored hair. Julie is hilarious and she feeds off her audience which, tonight, was very accommodating. She’s also very quick and had that same audience exploding with laughter; very funny! 11:00 pm was the time for the Filipino Crew show however we found ourselves in the Lido sharing a tea and more laughter with Julie and NADM F1 entertainer Rebekah.

We gained an hour tonight (Thu to Fri) in order to bring us on Costa Maya, Mexico time, our destination tomorrow (Friday). Pic is another look inside the Cayman Spirits Co. and a good time had by all

Edited by Copper10-8

Day 5 – 01/03/14; Costa Maya, Quintana Roo, Mexico; Costa Maya can best be described as a small tourist region/cruise port in the municipality of Othon P. Blanco in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo. The municipality is located not far from Chetumal, the capital of the state, north of the border with Belize. The area is generally undeveloped jungle but has been growing quickly and rapidly after a large cruise ship pier was constructed. The Costa Maya area includes two small villages, Mahahual and Xcalak. The fishing village of Mahahual is located only about 1.9 miles away from the cruise port and has soft sand beaches, grass thatched palapas, and a coral reef a short distance off-shore called Banco Chinchorros.

There is a modern tourist outside shopping mall at Costa Maya, the center of which has a plaza with a saltwater pool complete with 'swim-up' bar. There are several jewelry stores, including of course a Diamonds International, and many small shops selling ubiquitous souvenir items. It is generally open only to cruise ship passengers. Costa Maya is the closest port of access to many of the lesser known Mayan ruins in Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula, including Chacchoben and Kohunlich. These sites are substantially less excavated than the better known pyramids of Tulum, Coba, Chichen Itza and Uxmal. The port and surrounding areas sustained heavy damage as a result of Category 5 Hurricane ‘Dean’ in August 2007 which included the cruise ship dock. On 31 October 2008, Holland America line’s Westerdam was the first cruise ship to return to the port since the hurricane struck.

Nieuw Amsterdam approached the Costa Maya pier complex at around 1000 hrs with Holland America Line’s Ryndam already safely starboard side alongside. We would be going port side alongside the other pier so two HAL ships in Costa Maya today. We had decided to have breakfast on the balcony so it was done and delivered five minutes early at 0855. Conditions were nice outside with a temp of 78 degrees Fahrenheit/26 degrees Celsius and the two of us enjoying the view of the seemingly endless Costa Maya jungle.

The game plan for today was for us to go on an approx. four hour shore excursion of the Chacchoben Mayan ruins with an 1150 hrs departure. We left a bit early to say hi to some familiar faces on Ryndam; it was good to see Fred, former Filipino Army jangle fighter, again. We lined up at the head of the pier and met our guide, Manuel, a 72-year old former high school teacher, and our driver Ramon. The bus was a very comfortable Italian-made with working A/C. The drive to reach Chacchoben took about 55 minutes over a nice paved highway in good condition and included passing a Mexican Army vehicle checkpoint about 20 min out.

Chacchoben; Mayan for "the place of red corn" is located approx. 110 miles south of Tulum and 7 miles from the village from which it derives its name. Settlement by the Mayans at the site is estimated at 200 BC, and the structures date from 700 AD. The Mayans reigned supreme for several centuries. They undertook enormous construction projects in the form of their cities whilst establishing a sophisticated civilization knowledgeable in the fields of astronomy, mathematics and medicine to name a few. Many of these sites remain undiscovered and even more remain un-excavated, proving just how big an impact the Mayans had on this region.

In the 1940s a farm was established near the Chacchoben site by the Cohuo family, but the ruins were officially reported to the Mexican government in June 1972 by Dr. Peter Harrison, an American archaeologist who was working on a project for Tulane University, and who also made the first maps of Chacchoben. Harrison stumbled upon this site while flying a helicopter over the area and noticed numerous hills in predominately flat lands. Harrison realized there were temples beneath these hills, which were naturally covered over a period of 2000 years. In 1994 the Mexican national Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) excavated and restored the site, opening it to the public in 2002.

Visitors to the site today walk a circular path that includes three excavated and restored pyramids, as well as many walls and staircases. Excavation is continuing on several mounds which are known to contain further buildings. Some structures still bear traces of the red paint with which they were originally coated, and INAH has set up shaded areas to prevent further degradation of this pigment by the sun. Also notable at the base of the largest pyramid is a large stone slab called a stela with a Mayan hieroglyphic inscription. Once off the bus and inside, Manuel guided us down the gravel path to what’s known as Templo 24 for a picture op. We then continued on to an area where, after climbing about 10 stone steps, we came to Las Vasijas/the Vessels which overlook Mex Hwy 293. Caddy corner from Las Vasijas is the Gran Plaza/Great Square with at the end, Templo 1. Maybe not so grand as the ruins at Chichen Itza, but still pretty impressive, taking into account how old all this stuff is. During the 1 hr trip back the skies decided to open up on us.

Back at Costa Maya, we did a bit of browsing through the various stores and then walked the two piers back to NADM. RYDM had already departed on her way back to Tampa, FL. Nieuw Amsterdam departed Costa Maya around 6:00 pm on a north easterly course, this time around the western tip of Cuba, heading back to Ft. Lauderdale. Time flies when you’re having fun!

Dinner was at 8:00 pm in the Manhattan dining room, along with the three ladies from two days ago. We chose the Basa Fillet (fish) with Black Olive Mousse, served over a pool of pasta with fresh basil and tomato, paired with sautéed greens and fried zucchini chips. The show tonight was outstanding, no other word around it! Billed as “The Power of one Voice”, it featured the NADM four male vocalists in concert! Well worth watching. We ended up in the Queen’s Lounge listening to music there. Oh yeah, that hour we gained yesterday prior to our arrival on Mexico’s east coast……………..we lost it tonight! :( Pic is a look at two Holland America Line ships, NADM (left) and RYDM (right), at Costa Maya, Mexico

I guess I'll have to pass on the pictures - no way I am posting my email address, not even the junk one.:( So I will continue to enjoy your written descriptions, Copper - they are so good they read like a travelogue.:)

Edited by startwin

where are they????

On his face book page. You have to request permission to be his friend to see them. that's not something everyone would want to do nor may he want everyone here as a friend. It's a shame that he is not willing to share them here.

On his face book page. You have to request permission to be his friend to see them. that's not something everyone would want to do nor may he want everyone here as a friend. It's a shame that he is not willing to share them here.

Thank you. I am enjoying the review, but would like to see the pictures. Not really into facebook, so I guess I will have to go without seeing the pictures. Thanks for the great reviews.

Thank you. I am enjoying the review, but would like to see the pictures. Not really into facebook, so I guess I will have to go without seeing the pictures. Thanks for the great reviews.

Anytime; having an awesome time here on NADM :) Beats working!

It's not a matter of not willing Kazu; I'm willing ;) I used to post large size pics from Photo Bucket but, for some reason, after CC made some changes with the posting bar on the top here, I'm having issues transferring pics from the bucket. Last night for us tonite; going home manana; see ya

It's not a matter of not willing Kazu; I'm willing ;) I used to post large size pics from Photo Bucket but, for some reason, after CC made some changes with the posting bar on the top here, I'm having issues transferring pics from the bucket. Last night for us tonite; going home manana; see ya

Safe travels back to the West Coast. Your reports were enjoyable.

Thanks for taking us along with you and the "child bride" - your descriptions made us feel like we were on the islands instead of the "frozen tundra". I enjoyed your pics on FB - made me feel warm, warm, warm! Safe travels home.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Welcome back! Looking good on webcam. Have a safe trip back to CA. Cold will be in Ft. Laud manana. Enjoyed your descriptions and sense of humor (?).

seemed like a short trip.

It's 78f in Fort Lauderdale right now. Is that cold? It's -13 f or -26c in Calgary right now without the windchill. I'd be happy to trade places right now.

I just sent you a friend request Carol

Thanks, John. I did get it. My DH is in the hospital so I haven't been on this thread for a while, but have followed you on Facebook. Reading this thread today since it's freezing rain here and I'm staying home.

Thanks, John. I did get it. My DH is in the hospital so I haven't been on this thread for a while, but have followed you on Facebook. Reading this thread today since it's freezing rain here and I'm staying home.

All the best to your husband!

Day 6 – 01/04/14; At Sea/Sailing towards Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Saturday saw NADM having left the Caribbean Sea and having entered the Yucatan Channel, the strait between Mexico and Cuba on our 652 nautical mile voyage back to Port Everglades. We then began following the north-west coast line of Cuba until later entering the Florida Straits. The passage connecting the Gulf of Mexico with the Atlantic Ocean. At noon, we were under overcast skies and some showers from a pretty large weather front heading south from the U.S. mainland. The wind was from the south-east at 12 knots. Overnight, we lost the hour we gained only one day before, bringing us back in line with Eastern Standard Time.

We grabbed our breakfast at the Lido and did some browsing in the shops. HAL no longer does their disembarkation talk by the cruise director in the main show lounge, followed by the crew farewell on stage; too bad! 10:30 was the time for the “On Deck for a Cause” 5K non-competitive walk. This program replaces the “Susan B. Komen On Deck for the Cure 5K non-competitive walk/fundraising initiative for breast cancer research, founded by Holland America Line in 2006. The new program benefits six international cancer organizations located in the United States, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Germany and United Kingdom.

At 11:30 am, we had the Mariner Society reception inside the Queen’s Lounge. There were several pax receiving their 200 day medals and one charming looking Dutch lady, Annemarie, had an incredible 2,120 days onboard HAL ships. The reception was followed at 12:00 noon by the Mariners lunch inside the Manhattan Dining room however we chose to skip that event, mainly because it had only been two hours since breakfast and we just weren’t hungry. If you are into steel drum music, you were in for a treat at 2:30 pm when steel drummer Junior gave a concert pool side at the Seaview pool.

We had a 5:30 pm reservation in the Pinnacle Grill for dinner and this would be our first experience with the recently changed PG menu. Too make a long story short, we didn’t like it! We like the new Canaletto menu and dining in the Tamarind is a treat! I'm sorry, but I can't say the same of the new PG menu; it was very disappointing; gone is the spicy chicken coconut soup - the new tomato soup does not even come close! The new Caesar salad (four Romaine lettuce leaves in a parmesan cheese shell/bowl), come on guys! It doesn't compare to the table-side preparation of a true Caesar salad we were used to! Gone is the Filet Steak Diane, my all-time favorite! Hopefully some changes will be made and some popular favorites brought back; only time will tell!

We did our packing early right after dinner and, as a result, were ready for tonight’s entertainment; the Dancing with the Stars at Sea finale. A total of six passengers had been selected throughout the week after the DWTS practices in the Queen’s Lounge. They would perform in front of a large Showroom at Sea audience at 9:30 pm with their partners selected from the cast. They would first receive a score from each of the three members of the panel consisting of a very funny HALCats singer Ben, the always hilarious Julie Barr and the FCC Susan. We, the audience, by a round of applause, would then pick the ultimate winner. The whole thing was MC’ed a la Tom Bergeron by CD Dave. Looks like everybody had a good time!

When we disembark on Sunday, several of the DWTS professionals will join NADM, namely Emmy Award–winner and five-time “Dancing with the Stars” champion Derek Hough, two-time winner Kym Johnson, Sharna Burgess, Emma Slater and Tristan MacManus along with celebrity actress Sabrina Bryan, singer Joey Fatone and television personality Carson Kressley. On her January 12 voyage, NADM will host the DWTS at Sea finale in which the 15 guest winners in the shipboard dancing competitions throughout 2013 from each of the ships will compete for the Mirror Ball Trophy and title of Holland America Line’s first “Dancing with the Stars: at Sea” Champion. Should be a fun cruise to be on if you’re a DWTS fan.

For disembarkation on Sunday, we have the flexibility to leave the ship anytime between 0815 and 0945 hrs under grouping Pink 2. We called it a night around 11:00 pm. Pic is a look at the six passengers selected to perform in tonight’s final with CD Dave talking to the ultimate winner, the lady in the purple dress