Which Celebrity "update" or news in 2013 will affect your cruise future most?

harz99

The effects of three changes on our decisions.

There have been several threads about the revamped Captain's Club, so I don't propose to revisit that event in detail except to say we were at Elite level before the change and are still at Elite level now with 240 more points needed to go to Elite Plus level, which will either take a long time to attain, or more probably never happen as the extra benefits IMO are not worth the spend to get to 750.

The changes to Future Cruise Certificate benefits in the shape of vastly reduced OBC is unwelcome to say the least. It is only a relatively short time since those of us outside North America have been able to purchase FCCs and obtain the benefit of doing so. I for one have made good use of FCCs, and still have one pre change cert. to use up. I shall not be buying anymore.

The third and final change is the news that Century will be leaving in 2015 without a replacement, meaning that in future a whole year of itineraries will be lost, some of which have only recently (since Reflection launched) been introduced.

So to conclude, the Captains Club changes are neutral for us, the FCC changes a big negative and the future loss of more varied itineraries a negative. We will still sail with "X" if the itinerary and price is good for us as we mostly like the product, just not as often. Which in turn means that we will probably start trying other lines and will certainly make Platinum level on NCL for a whole new range of perks!

Happy New Year everyone.:)

Great question.

For us, as it specifically relates to Celebrity, it is pricing. For us, at least, we have become laid back cruisers and don't seem to attend as many 'events' as we did earlier in our cruising or care which cabin we are in. I do like balconies, but I am just glad to be sailing. We have no longer any 'need' to get an aft cabin or a larger balcony. Not saying I would not get one if price is right!

On a more macro level, we have grandkids and want to spend lots of time with them and then there are the many 'land based' destinations that compete with cruising. We did 3 land based trips in 2013 and already have 2 in planning for 2014.

Still, for me, I like the Celebrity product and hope to sail with them in 2014. I am debating between Celebrity and Royal for our most likely ONLY cruise in 2014.

So to conclude, the Captains Club changes are neutral for us, the FCC changes a big negative and the future loss of more varied itineraries a negative. We will still sail with "X" if the itinerary and price is good for us as we mostly like the product, just not as often. Which in turn means that we will probably start trying other lines and will certainly make Platinum level on NCL for a whole new range of perks!

As a result of changes this year:

We have not and don't intend to buy passages but we did book confirmed sailings while onboard.

We have booked Century because we love the ship and wish to sail her to the end.

We cannot imagine sailing with any other cruise line again (except RCL with the grand kids). The perks are so good, that every other cruise line pales in comparison.

Our Celebrity seaside condo has just become more luxurious than we had any reason to expect.

One other change that Celebrity has introduced this year is the greater variety of specials that negate the need for passages.

However I am absolutely stunned by the new prices for some sailings in 2014. That change will affect our sailings and determine the itineraries that we can afford to sail.

Celebrity has made our 2014 cruising season much better.

Happy New Year.

However I am absolutely stunned by the new prices for some sailings in 2014. That change will affect our sailings and determine the itineraries that we can afford to sail.

Happy New Year.

Can I ask - stunned by new lower prices:) or by much higher prices:(?

Think we have to keep an eye on the changes in entertainment on the ships. They are obviously changing lounge acts on the ships and have eliminated Smithsonian talks in Celebrity Central. Seems to me they are going in the wrong direction. What next...

Edited by dkjretired

For me, the change, or update that will affect us most is the reduced incentive to purchase an Open Passages certificate. I think that the on board booking agents will have plenty of time on their hands as the word gets out of the revised OBC.

I will evaluate the reported changes in the entertainment aboard once I experience them for myself in the coming months; then decide if it will affect my booking preferences.

While we think that the new Captain's Club changes are great (now Elite+), we never have booked Celebrity based upon the CC perks, we book them because of the Celebrity experience.

As of now, Celebrity remains our favorite line, although we still will consider Princess, Royal Caribbean, & even NCL, depending upon family circumstances.

Think we have to keep an eye on the changes in entertainment on the ships. They are obviously changing lounge acts on the ships and have eliminated Smithsonian talks in Celebrity Central. Seems to me they are going in the wrong direction. What next...

Don:

You hit my biggest concern that I've expressed more than perhaps I should in other threads. I see a change in corporate culture that shifts emphasis from the passenger experience to enhancing bottom line as having the greatest potential impact in the future.. Changes in entertainment might be one sign. Eliminating outstanding programs such as the Smithsonian Speakers might be another. I see, and at least one person I spoke to at the Miami HQ agreed, that the new Captain's Club progam was developed as a cost controlling measure. I DO LOVE THE ELITE + BENEFITS. Just will be much more difficult for new people to advnce through the levels, especially Elite+ and Zenith. Several discussions with Captain's Club representatives have revealed an inflexibility that I haven't experienced before. This is just my view based on my own connecting of the dots and looking into my crystal ball. I hope that I'm only a bit paranoid and wrong. However, if I'm correct the change in corporate focus may be the most important event for Celebrity. I do understand the Celebrity needs to make a good return on their investment and some risk is always involved. Only time will tell how this all sorts out.

Although we certainly do not cruise for the CC benefits I believe the positive changes to the CC program will result in us cruising more on Celebrity. I particularly like the one category upgrade that was added for bookings above the OV level and the extra Internet minutes and laundry at the Elite Plus level. I really like the fact that the Elite level is not the higher level as in the past.

I have always had trouble using the open passages because they could not be combined and I always have some other deal that caused me not to use them. So I really feel good about the enhancement where you can combine both the on board or open passages with another special.

I always like Celebrity's emphasis on special programs particularly the 123 Promo. I value the drink package that leads to a more inclusive experience once on board.

Also we experienced our first Celebrity TA in 2013 and we loved it. So we are likely to repeat it on a regular basis. It will give us an opportunity to use up our older passages. I could not believe the amazing cruise day value and the enjoyment of so many consecutive cruise days.

Although I realize that everyone is not in the same situation the positive changes in 2013 will almost certainly lead to us cruising more with Celebrity in the future. None of the changes are likely to cause us to cruise less unless it becomes significantly more expensive. The 14 day southern Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse in 2015 is not more expensive than when I booked the one for 2014. I do expect to pay a somewhat higher price going forward, but I believe the cruise vacation continues to offer great value.

Hi Everyone,

No doubt, 2013 has been a very interesting year for Celebrity's friends and fans. We are very pleased with the Captains Club updates, and feel that for the most part, Celebrity has done a great job. The Zenith benefits are more than I could have ever imagined ! I realize that some are unhappy for various reasons, but I hope you will agree that it's impossible to please everyone all the time. Perhaps we will see some tweaking in 2014, to make a wondeful loyalty program even better.

For me, Entertainment is our biggest concern. For the most part, I do not care for the direction Celebrity is going. While we were relatively pleased with our last Eclipse sailing, changes were everywhere. IMO, the entertainment wasn't nearly as good as versus even a year or two ago. I'm also very concerned about Host Anne's (and others) recent observations of loud music. While the issue was virtually non-existent on Eclipse (as of last month), it seems ongoing on other X ships.

It's abundantly clear that Celebrity wants to get younger. I absolutely respect and understand the need to do so. However, IMO, they should appeal to *all* age groups and not one specific age range. This is very concerning for us, and may eventually chase us away from Celebrity. I certainly hope it does not come to this, but it's on our radar.

I've also heard that Celebrity has changed their Entertainment director in the past month or two... though I wonder if the recent changes is this individual's work, or to expect another change of direction (hopefully for the better) in the coming months. We'll see what happens.

As for the onboard booking program, we are very pleased with the new reserved passage option as you can now combine the booking onboard OBC with 1 other promo. However, with the myriad of ever changing promotions, it makes you think twice about booking far in advance.

Wishing everyone a wonderful 2014 !

Edited by Host Andy

Finding out that we are now Elite + is nice. However I doubt we will ever reach Zenith. Some what disappointed the level is so high. I am 60 and have plenty of time however DH is burned out on cruising after 40 cruises. No incentive to reach the next level. In the future we might try smaller ships. Really enjoyed Azamara and other small ships we have been on.

Don:

You hit my biggest concern that I've expressed more than perhaps I should in other threads. I see a change in corporate culture that shifts emphasis from the passenger experience to enhancing bottom line as having the greatest potential impact in the future.. Changes in entertainment might be one sign. Eliminating outstanding programs such as the Smithsonian Speakers might be another. I see, and at least one person I spoke to at the Miami HQ agreed, that the new Captain's Club progam was developed as a cost controlling measure. I DO LOVE THE ELITE + BENEFITS. Just will be much more difficult for new people to advnce through the levels, especially Elite+ and Zenith. Several discussions with Captain's Club representatives have revealed an inflexibility that I haven't experienced before. This is just my view based on my own connecting of the dots and looking into my crystal ball. I hope that I'm only a bit paranoid and wrong. However, if I'm correct the change in corporate focus may be the most important event for Celebrity. I do understand the Celebrity needs to make a good return on their investment and some risk is always involved. Only time will tell how this all sorts out.

I

The inflexibility of the CC program hit me on this cruise. Years ago I had sent in all the info for my cruises as they did not have a bunch listed. They gave me credit as I had the proof and gave my son credit also as he was on most of them with us. I didn't notice until a couple of years afterwards that they didn't give my son credit for 4 Bermuda cruises which were on the second page of my history, they completely ignored the second page when transferring them over. We have moved and downsized so much of the stuff is now gone but I did find pictures from one Bermuda cruise I believe in 1994 with my son and daughter. I took them on my cruise last week and showed the album to the CC rep. She took some of the pictures and sent copies of them to Miami. I received a message from her saying they got them but won't recognize them on his record even though I named employees in the pictures which showed him on the ship, the date of the cruise. It even had a picture of the Meridian in the background. At least they could have given him credit for 1 cruise.

Hi Everyone,

No doubt, 2013 has been a very interesting year for Celebrity's friends and fans. We are very pleased with the Captains Club updates, and feel that for the most part, Celebrity has done a great job. The Zenith benefits are more than I could have ever imagined ! I realize that some are unhappy for various reasons, but I hope you will agree that it's impossible to please everyone all the time. Perhaps we will see some tweaking in 2014, to make a wondeful loyalty program even better.

For me, Entertainment is our biggest concern. For the most part, I do not care for the direction Celebrity is going. While we were relatively pleased with our last Eclipse sailing, changes were everywhere. IMO, the entertainment wasn't nearly as good as versus even a year or two ago. I'm also very concerned about Host Anne's (and others) recent observations of loud music. While the issue was virtually non-existent on Eclipse (as of last month), it seems ongoing on other X ships.

It's abundantly clear that Celebrity wants to get younger. I absolutely respect and understand the need to do so. However, IMO, they should appeal to *all* age groups and not one specific age range. This is very concerning for us, and may eventually chase us away from Celebrity. I certainly hope it does not come to this, but it's on our radar.

I've also heard that Celebrity has changed their Entertainment director in the past month or two... though I wonder if the recent changes is this individual's work, or to expect another change of direction (hopefully for the better) in the coming months. We'll see what happens.

Hi Andy:

There have been other key changes both on and off the ships. HD Bernhard and CD Damien have switched to the RCCL side to open Quantium. Weir is now directing entertainment on the RCCL side. There have been significant changes in the Miami office. Could this make a difference for Celebrity? One again time will tell. Celebrity is most certainly taking some risks, but that's part of business.

Also agree that they will adjust as needed.

Great New Year to you and your family.

Hi Everyone,

As for the onboard booking program, we are very pleased with the new reserved passage option as you can now combine the booking onboard OBC with 1 other promo. However, with the myriad of ever changing promotions, it makes you think twice about booking far in advance.

I'm wondering if the bar staff at the Martini Bar are also not happy with the LOUD rap/rave music as they seemed to be in slow motion...with one exception...the very tall bartender from the Phillipines. He was very engaging . However, he was able to slip away into the back to make our drinks.

The best spot we found was in the Enseble lounge. I really don't know how Vicent was able to do all he did. He was the only bartender waiting on a full bar, almost full seats and the specialty restaurants. ALWAYS smiling and had a great sense of humor. By far our favorite bartender!

Although we certainly do not cruise for the CC benefits I believe the positive changes to the CC program will result in us cruising more on Celebrity. I particularly like the one category upgrade that was added for bookings above the OV level and the extra Internet minutes and laundry at the Elite Plus level. I really like the fact that the Elite level is not the higher level as in the past.

Totally agree, I will also be cruising more with Celebrity because of the changes to the Captain's Club. I've already used the one category upgrade and that was an awesome change and I love that now the points are given per day, instead of a 4 day cruise getting the same points as a 10 day cruise. Even though I've never used any of the Classic or Select perks given to me, I will, however, enjoy the internet minutes and laundry when I make Elite.

I will also cruise more if they have more up-to-date music onboard. It gets a little sleepy for me when the music is so low and, in my opinion, boring. I'd like them to play different music in the various venues, so everyone can enjoy the music they like.

Also love that they will have another spa onboard.

I'm also appreciative of how professional and attentive Celebrity corporate has been. When I've emailed Michael Bayley, I've gotten a phone call from them very quickly and that shows me that they care about what their customers are saying.

I'm also appreciative of how professional and attentive Celebrity corporate has been. When I've emailed Michael Bayley, I've gotten a phone call from them very quickly and that shows me that they care about what their customers are saying.

That's a great point NLH. I'm thrilled that Celebrity has added the contactmichael@celebrity.com email address. I've only emailed this twice since it's inception. Both times, I was contacted, about a week later by phone, with professional & friendly Celebrity team members (Stephanie & Liz). I was totally impressed by their eagerness to hear both the good and the not so good, and they are a huge assest to Celebrity and Mr Bayley's team.

I'm extremely happy with Celebrity's responsiveness, and hope they will continue this program.

Edited by Host Andy

That's a great point NLH. I'm thrilled that Celebrity has added the contactmichael@celebrity.com email address. I've only emailed this twice since it's inception. Both times, I was contacted, about a week later by phone, with professional & friendly Celebrity team members (Stephanie & Liz). I was totally impressed by their eagerness to hear both the good and the not so good, and they are a huge assest to Celebrity and Mr Bayley's team.

I'm extremely happy with Celebrity's responsiveness, and hope they will continue this program.

I've only emailed them twice as well. The first one, I got a call the very next day (WOW!) and the second one, I got a call a week later....that was awesome, I've never seen that kind of customer service from a cruise line, usually you wait weeks to hear from them no matter if you comments were good or bad and sometimes never hear from them. Both times, I spoke with the same young lady and she was fantastic and said that my email and comments would be sent to Mr. Bayley as well. Seems like they really care about what their customers are saying.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

I am very happy with the new Zenith benefits:)

It is now virtually impossible to sail on another line.

I do wish that they would own up to the fact that they are selling the Century:(

Edited by TommyD3

I am very happy with the new Zenith benefits:)

It is now virtually impossible to sail on another line.

I do wish that they would own up to the fact that they are selling the Century:(

Enjoyed the century so much after several S-Class cruises. Mainly for the size and less crowd.

Considering Oceania instead now.

Celebrity is trying very hard to turn off their most loyal and affluent clientele via entertainment and the lack of a real place to dance the night away with with a real band or orchestra. Management should see that there are two different clienteles at work here and they should try to please both rather than drive the other away.

I consider cruising in the Carribean and perhaps Alaska as vacationing and this appeals to a younger audience except during the slow weeks of the winter and late spring. Older and more traveled cruisers are sailing to Europe,South America,Asia and Australia and they are not so much taking a vacation as they are truly traveling. For this second group live music not DJ's and blasting music is more in order. So are educational and cultural lectures on board ship. I also think that Celebrity should take one of their ships and let it sail around the world with segments starting as short as three weeks and going from there. Just a couple of ideas that may please the older and well traveled clientele.

The new future cruise program, we'll be booking our future sailings onboard for now on.

We booked two definitive future cruises on board Reflection two weeks ago so as to take advantage of the 'combinable' feature offered, but the future cruise rep despite not being otherwise occupied, missed an opportunity to inform me of and promote the new passages offering relative to my existing passages.

Communication has never been X's forte.

I also think that Celebrity should take one of their ships and let it sail around the world with segments starting as short as three weeks and going from there.

I would LOVE IT if Celebrity offered an around the world cruise:)

Unfortunately the ship that would have been the best for this - the Century - is history in 2015.

Celebrity is trying very hard to turn off their most loyal and affluent clientele ..........................................................

................I consider cruising in the Carribean and perhaps Alaska as vacationing and this appeals to a younger audience except during the slow weeks of the winter and late spring. Older and more traveled cruisers are sailing to Europe,South America,Asia and Australia and they are not so much taking a vacation as they are truly traveling. For this second group live music not DJ's and blasting music is more in order.

Unfortunately for you and I, the highlighted cruises are not just taken by North Americans and Brits, many people from the highlighted areas/countries also cruise and probably consider them the equivalent of your Carribean/Alaskan itineraries which goes a long way to explaining the ill considered noisy "music" on many of those sailings.

Edited by harz99

I would LOVE IT if Celebrity offered an around the world cruise:)

Unfortunately the ship that would have been the best for this - the Century - is history in 2015.

Now that would have been a plan; Century doing a world cruise on her final outing. If it went well, deploy the most suitable ship for the following year, if it didn't do well, Century will have gone so no suitable ship and idea shelved.