"Live" from the Legend of the Seas - January 13, 2014

Congratulations on your booking of Oasis!!! :)

You are going to LOVE her! We are on her January 25th, 2014 for the second time. Have sailed many RCC ships but Oasis kills it!! Is it western or eastern? You will want to do it again since you can't get it all in the first time.

Thanks for posting, going to watch you guys come into Aruba this morning, weather looks great there right now.

Have a great day. Put that suntan lotion on, seeing my dermatologist this morning. :p

After 4 days I would like to address the issue of the “surly staff”. I have yet to encounter any member of the staff that is not friendly. While some staff members are more outgoing than others, the entire staff is friendly and happy to answer questions and help out. We have talk to members of the maintenance team, to room stewards, wait staff, and management. They are all great. I honestly don’t understand the sour comments on the staff. They are simply wonderful.

I do think that some of the negative comments come from cruisers that did not do thorough research of the Vision Class ships. If you are expecting a Freedom Class or Oasis Class experience on the Legend, then you will be disappointed. If you are doing this cruise with full knowledge that this is a small ship and sailing for the itinerary, then I think you will be happy. Since we did the Vision in 2012 we knew what our cruise experience would be like. So far the Legend crew has exceeded the Vision crew of last winter. Kudos.

Lisa and Walt

After 4 days I would like to address the issue of the “surly staff”. I have yet to encounter any member of the staff that is not friendly. While some staff members are more outgoing than others, the entire staff is friendly and happy to answer questions and help out. We have talk to members of the maintenance team, to room stewards, wait staff, and management. They are all great. I honestly don’t understand the sour comments on the staff. They are simply wonderful.

I do think that some of the negative comments come from cruisers that did not do thorough research of the Vision Class ships. If you are expecting a Freedom Class or Oasis Class experience on the Legend, then you will be disappointed. If you are doing this cruise with full knowledge that this is a small ship and sailing for the itinerary, then I think you will be happy. Since we did the Vision in 2012 we knew what our cruise experience would be like. So far the Legend crew has exceeded the Vision crew of last winter. Kudos.

Lisa and Walt

Thank you so much for your reviews and for addressing the staff issue. I, too, had heard a lot of negative comments on the staff. I will be making the final payment on on the 16 night Legend TA this week and will do so feeling much better after reading your reviews! I would think that after all the negatives, Miami probably addressed the issues with the Capatain and Hotel Director of the Legend.

Edited by margaret a

Wondering how cool or warm they keep the ship. Is a light sweater needed in the dining rooms I am taking mostly sundresses on the panama cruise in March

The theater might require the light sweater too.

Thanks for a great review. We are doing this cruise on Feb. 24 so I am really looking forward to your opinion of the port stops.

If you have time, I'd be curious, we are in 8048 which appears to be right above the area where you said the occasional foul smell is. Any chance you can run by there on the eighth deck and see if the same problem exists? If so I may be able to switch cabins.

Are you going to BarbadosThat was our favorite in Dec on Legend. We enjoyed the 11 days on the smaller ship. Park Cafe makes a lot of difference and a good choice for a meal. Not a big fan of the new main dining menu so ate at Windjammer a lot.

Like larger ships but it was a great cruise and glad we experienced the Southern Carib for the first time.

Put an air freshner in our bathroom as usually a slight odor. We had Aft cabin. Very windy so not much time outside or at poolside.

Welcome to Aruba Legend of the Seas. Arrival with her pilot boat alongside as seen on the Port Aruba webcam Have fun on the Happy Island :)

1498019_10151903210466693_1694603568_o.jpg

Edited by emmy

Lisa and Walt

I am one of those individuals that wrote less than positive comments about my recent experience on the Legend. I have been on every ship in the fleet. I did not describe the Legend staff as being surly, but I do think they presented an air of being bored, uninterested, and/or unavailable. I did send my comments – both pro and con – to the main office in Miami.

It is nice to read that the experiences of current cruisers have improved.

Dick and Jane

Chicago, Illinois

I was on the holiday sailing and there was only one crew member who I'd describe as surly or curt. That was one of the two bartenders at the pool bar. I'd bet that after placing an order there our Redhead would know which one I'm referring to.

Edited by fishin' musician

Lisa,

Love your Legend live report since we disembarked the day you embarked on her! The seas were very active while we were on her. Never been on such a rough cruise. Our first night had many seasick cruisers. I had my first experience ever with it and hope never again. It fortunately was short lived.

We had a wonderful time and our crew and staff were great! We had two maintenance issues in our room that were quickly addressed. The evening I became seasick, I approached a staff person for directions to the nearest restroom. She actually walked me there...I must have really looked green! ;) She even came back to check on me at the behest of my husband. Yep, it was full blown seasickness! :p

The evening show times do vary. It was our experience that in order to get a seat, you had to go about 20-30 minutes ahead. The Temptations group was on our sailing and also the comedian, Don Gavin, who was on your first night. He was on our last night. We found the entertainment on our cruise to be exceptional. The dancers, singers, and orchestra are outstanding. Love all of the live music around the ship. Also enjoyed the aerialists shows in the Centrum. One night was a teaser for only about 10 minutes with a full show later in the week that included the singers and dancers. We watched on Decks 5 & 6. Deck 5 was good. Would like to see it from Decks 7 or 8.

We also ate in the Windjammer when we weren't too crazy about the MDR evening offerings. At the omelet station area, they had offerings such as stir fry and Indian. Also had an area each evening that offered "cultural" foods such as European/British, and again Indian.

I too am a WW member, but I did indulge a bit too much. Back on track now. Our favorite breakfast area was the Park Cafe. It was usually quiet and loved that it felt like we were eating on an outdoor terrace without being blown away. Lunch is also nice there since they offer the build your own salad option and soups, as well as, fresh and pre-made sandwiches.

Thanks for your live post. It is so great to read. Good luck on your WW efforts while on board.

Dena, another redhead from TX

Glad to hear there's Indian food on the Legend; it's our favorite though not made hot enough for us. We missed Indian food on the Crown Princess (our last cruise.)

We also ate in the Windjammer when we weren't too crazy about the MDR evening offerings. At the omelet station area, they had offerings such as stir fry and Indian. Also had an area each evening that offered "cultural" foods such as European/British, and again Indian.

Lisa and Walt

Please pay close attention to the above comment from Lisa, it is very important for you to consider. I was one that did not do my homework about the ship and was lured to the fabulous itinerary & that it departed from Ft. Lauderdale. I had been on many small ships before and enjoy the community feel they offer. My anticipation of the Legend was what she lacked in size and style she would make up in charm & service but this was not our experience and a missed opportunity for RCI I think.

On our sailing they seemed frazzled and understaffed but in spite of the fact that they did not have time to eat or sleep (as they proclaimed) they were very pleasant not special or wow. It took until day 5 for our cabins to look like they usually do on day one due to previous Noro virus and ship clean up. The staff became steadily better each day when things got back to normal for them.

Regarding the itinerary RCI took us to Labadee instead of St. Lucia, a huge disappointment. I had an exceptional time on the other islands participating in excursions and tours not sponsored by RCI. I always felt safe and enjoyed them all. I did not plan any water excursions but several were cancelled due to high winds. As long as you are flexible in changing your activities there is always something fun to do on the islands.

A few days in we started to see the bags everywhere so if you get motion sickness (we don't) plan ahead.

We enjoyed the food & sampled all the venues.

We upgraded to a Junior Suite and if you get the chance for a great deal don't do it unless you will really enjoy the larger balcony. I suppose I thought service would be more attentive in the Jr Suite so that was my error. It was nothing special, our ipad never worked and the air conditioning did not work for 4 day. Yes maintenance was very nice when they arrived on day 4 to turn on the air in our room.

Entertainment: music, comedy, entertainment was all 30-50 years old so if that's your thing you will enjoy it. Again I had anticipated more island/caribbean music in the southern caribbean. Lets just say a Chinese Lady singing country western doesn't do it for me and leave it at that. In addition to the usual sexy leg, big splash, rock climbing, etc., day activities included checkers, origami, and card making. Not exactly the excitement we were looking for but if you find those activities relaxing you might enjoy.

If you have ever considered a new hair cut/style/color don't hesitate to book with Jennifer Bridges in the Salon. Exceptional in every way.

I ordered flowers for the cabin. They were beautiful and will last all week if watered daily.

Tips- if you are located aft deck 8 portside there is a set of steps that takes you through the salon into the solarium right in front of Park Cafe. A great short cut! We did not experience any bad smells on deck 8. I used the ship computers and it took about 4 minutes to log in if you know what you are doing. The new safe did not work in our cabin but was fixed quickly. As info the safe was not large enough to hold our tablet. Onboard booking office was friendly and very efficient.

We were sailing for excitement not rest if you fall into that category overall we felt like we were on the geriatric of the seas and were very bored. The saving grace was we met up with friends we had met on the Liberty and enjoyed our time with them.

I need to share we are 60 & 63 years old. If you are not familiar with George Burns and the rat pack you may be clueless at the entertainment venues. My husband wanted me to add that he would not go back on that ship even if they gave him a free cruise.

Hoping everyone who has a future cruise booked for the Southern Caribbean on the Legend of the Seas finds this helpful when planning.

Susan

The Legend has had a turnover in staff, from what I have heard. Some of the Mariner crew have been brought over! Glad to hear Staff and Crew are pleasant and welcoming.

Celia - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is great news -- we were on the Mariner on one of her repositioning legs as she was moving to Asian service. The crew was outstanding!

Lisa, thanks for your reviews. We will be on the Legend next month.

Glad to hear there's Indian food on the Legend; it's our favorite though not made hot enough for us. We missed Indian food on the Crown Princess (our last cruise.)

Agree, it could have done with a bit more spicy heat. All I had was very tasty. One day on the lunch buffet in the Windjammer, they had an Indian chicken and rice dish that was tasty as well.

Today is the big day…it’s my birthday! My birthday gift from Walt was the Trike Aruba Tour and wow!

P1160013_zpsb7a67b6b.jpg

But first things first. We were able to disembark at 10am and we did not need to leave for our tour until 1pm. So , we got off the ship and ran the gauntlet of independent tours to get into town. We did a little shopping at the shacks and then wandered over to The Paddock for lunch. The Paddock is the cow print building on the marina across from the ships on the marina. There are fantastic photo opportunities from the restaurant. We had a nice lunch and took pictures.

P1160021_zpsdcde8161.jpg

After lunch we found a sidewalk that runs behind the Renaissance Hotel along the waterfront. We found that there are hundreds of iguanas living on the rocks and the property. We even stumbled upon their mid-day snack.

P1160050_zpsd5f3143f.jpg

Since it was getting close to 1pm, we headed back to the port to catch a cab with Kayter and friends to Trikes Aruba. This was an incredible 3 hour tour of the island. I highly recommend it even if you have never ridden a motorcycle. Walt has never driven one, but Michael Angelo taught him how to do and we are alive to tell the tale. There were 4 stops along the way so everyone had a chance to follow our guides. Oh, and our guides took pictures from the lead trike and those pictures will be posted on the Trikes-Aruba facebook page tomorrow. If you are looking for something different to do in Aruba, then you should consider this tour.

P1160057_zps4cf764bf.jpg

P1160098_zps38d149c0.jpg

Well, I must get ready for our dinner at Izumi tonight…more tomorrow.

Lisa and Walt

Lisa---HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! We did the Trikes Aruba tour 2 years ago and it was fabulous!

Could you get a message to Harry & Joyce for me? Tell Harry, I just got an upgrade today from my oceanview cabin, to a balcony (for our sailing next week 1/24, deck 6, port side near the back). He had said he got an upgrade on this sailing (1/13) and didn't think he would get one for the following (1/24) sailing. Tell him to see if he can check in with RC to find out!

Thanks so much, and really enjoying your Live postings!

Edited by debshomespun

Could you get a message to Harry & Joyce for me? Tell Harry, I just got an upgrade today from my oceanview cabin, to a balcony (for our sailing next week 1/24, deck 6, port side near the back). He had said he got an upgrade on this sailing (1/13) and didn't think he would get one for the following (1/24) sailing. Tell him to see if he can check in with RC to find out!

You were lucky..... The JS have been sold out for quite awhile and I just looked and the balconies are now sold out.