Celebrity's Next Big Move???????

2SeaAll

Maybe they will offer a one time or new opportunity to combine past cruise points accumulated on RCL to Captain's Club points. Celebrity allows Azamara points to be combined. Parent company Royal Caribbean owns all 3 cruise lines. Why not honor all the RCL family brand to passengers cruising with RCL, Azamara or Celebrity? Now that would be true reciprocation!

Excellent idea!!:D:D

Hi Everyone,

This is strictly my opinion, but I absoutely believe that Celebrity may go to the "more inclusive" model that Azamara currently offers. As I've said from day 1 of 123 GO, it's Celebrity's trial balloon. Should this happen, it will come with much higher pricing - as that's the name of the game.... especially as Celebrity is now uber focused on watching every penny and increasing profit margins. As a shareholder, that's great news. As a loyal guest who has no interest in the drink package, it may force us to look elsewhere, should the prices rise as significantly as with Azamara. I hope this never happens, but I suspect it will.

As for river cruising ? Viking has done an incredible job in expanding their fleet, and I'd never want to go head to head with their product. While this would be a VERY aggressive move by Celebrity, I suppose it could happen. What I'm wondering, is if Celebrity and Azamara might join forces, and create a luxury cruise product, with smaller ships, in the 40-50,000 ton range.

Edited by Host Andy

Another option: Land based resorts? Along the Sandals lines...

Don't think it will be anything to do with ocean cruising, the market is over saturated at the moment, hence the current discounting.

Some P&O ships are rumoured to be sailing with lots of empty cabins at the moment.

Richard

A good thought. Actually I entirely forgot that we spent about an hour in the sun on Deck 14 of Silhouette talking with someone who claimed to be a developer working with Celebrity on creating resorts/hotels. Not everything he said seemed credible at the time, but I do remember that he talked about these properties being phased in over a 1-2 year timeframe.

Seemingly the scenario is a one-stop vacation booking through Celebrity that is partially land/partially water based. In that scenario Celebrity captures more of your total vacation spend, making shareholders happy:D, but does it mean more shorter cruise itineraries and more itineraries starting from new departure ports in the Caribbean and elsewhere???

It's an interesting scenario.

I'm not sure that an all-inclusive pricing would excite the loyal customers (or maybe I am just fearful of it as it won't excite me!!). First, I think it would price perhaps 1/3 of people currently sailing Celebrity out of the market. Second, I think people are so accustomed to seeing their 1-2-3 discounts that to suddenly see cruises with few to no discounts would be traumatic, which I don't translate to exciting. I think that they have too many berths to fill to make such a gigantic leap in their business model. What could happen is that they cull out the S class ships from the M class ships and model the pricing/experience differently. I could definitely see that happening. Maybe they fill the S class ships with an all-inclusive experience, but keep M class as is. They would need to somehow make that differentiation very clear - maybe a whole separate entity??? Just a thought.

New to celebrity- what is 123Go?

123Go is a promotion where you get to pick one of the three options (2 if cruising to Europe) on some of the itineraries. The choices are:

Free classic drink package (includes soda, bottle water, juices, specialty coffees, as well as beer ($5), wine ($8), spirits ($8); or

Prepaid gratuities; or

Onboard credit.

the drink package can be upgraded for $11.50/day/person to the premium package which will include wine & spirits up to $12; beer (6), premium waters such as Evian, etc.

The promotion is currently going on until the end of Feb, but it has been offered before. There was also a variation of this promo called "Pick your Perk" which also offered an air-fare option.

Hope this answered your question.

My money would be on either moving to the "Club" concept ala Azamara, with of course prices to match:eek:, or moving into the "World Cruise" market.

Or even both, of course:D.

My cruise history shows "Club" accommodations:

Club Veranda Staterooms

Club Ocean View Staterooms

Club Suites

I see absolutely no problem with having gratuities built into the cruise fare but there are many cruisers who would resent paying for a beverage package they would not use.

There might also be a problem with single cruisers who would have to pay double for gratuities and beverage packages for a single occupant.

If this is a serious consideration it might be time to book some future cruises prior to a very significant price increase.

Celebrity is a mass market cruiseline. They have built a lot of new ships in the last 10 years. In order to remain competitive they they will have to keep prices low or they will get destroyed in the market. From what i read on cruise critic price is an important factor for many cruisers. And if they do decide to include more things there going to have to raise the quality of there product there no different then any other of the mass market lines. I know a lot of you like to pretend there upscale there really not.

Hi Everyone,

This is strictly my opinion, but I absoutely believe that Celebrity may go to the "more inclusive" model that Azamara currently offers. As I've said from day 1 of 123 GO, it's Celebrity's trial balloon. Should this happen, it will come with much higher pricing - as that's the name of the game.... especially as Celebrity is now uber focused on watching every penny and increasing profit margins. As a shareholder, that's great news. As a loyal guest who has no interest in the drink package, it may force us to look elsewhere, should the prices rise as significantly as with Azamara. I hope this never happens, but I suspect it will.

As for river cruising ? Viking has done an incredible job in expanding their fleet, and I'd never want to go head to head with their product. While this would be a VERY aggressive move by Celebrity, I suppose it could happen. What I'm wondering, is if Celebrity and Azamara might join forces, and create a luxury cruise product, with smaller ships, in the 40-50,000 ton range.

I'm with you, I don't drink a lot and for them to go all inclusive, might force me to look elsewhere, depending on the price raise.

That did happen at Crystal. When I cruised with them, they had an anyway you want OBC, which I got $1,000. Then they went all inclusive and did away with the OBC, so the cruise was costing me $1,000 more, because I was paying for others to drink and that didn't make a lot of sense to me.

I would love it if they were to purchase a river cruise company.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Inclusion of drink packages (and possibly other add ons) into the cruise fare?

Seems that the free classic with 123 go could be them testing this, since prices often go up during the times when the promotion is offered and it is still a success. It could be they were gauging whether having this included was something people like, which a lot of people (myself included) seem to. Just a thought.

I hope they don't include the drink package in the price or I will be sailing another cruise line. We don't drink so I don't want to be paying for others drinks. This is why we do not do all inclusive land resorts.

Another idea would be for them to team up with a major land tour operator. Some companies already offer land tours with a cruise combo such as Greece and the islands. Celebrity's pre and post tours are quite expensive but teamed up with a large company the cost might be worth while. I know that having sailed a lot in Europe I am looking at land tours now instead of sailing but would still enjoy the combination with Celebrity. I find that river tours don't cover enough on land which is why we did France on a coach as well as the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Johanne

Here is another thought on the all inclusive option. Wouldn't this nullify the benefits of the Elite, Elite + and reduce somewhat the Zenith premium perk.

Johanne

That is very sinister thinking.. Just imagine that exclusive "free" drinks are now payed for through higher cruise fares. Talk about deflating the perks… That would totally disconnect loyalty perks from cruise planning.

If one is then only cruising for the product at a price at least 30% higher than now with no perks on the table, … the mind boggles. :eek:

Hi Everyone,

Am with you, Andy. All inclusive with drinks is a waste of money for us. Several friends we have cruised with also cannot drink because of affects on medication. I assume famillies with children would have difficulty with this idea, as well. If it happens, will be sad to leave the line, but it will be.

I'm not sure that an all-inclusive pricing would excite the loyal customers (or maybe I am just fearful of it as it won't excite me!!). First, I think it would price perhaps 1/3 of people currently sailing Celebrity out of the market.

Doesn't excite us whatsoever & surely would not pay for something we would not use. I assume there are others this would affect the same way. Would like to see them concentrate on improving things on-board (like dreadful music on last cruise) before they jump into booze cruising

For the all inclusive to be successful (profitable) for Celebrity, a couple of things would be required:

1. a percentage of pax who drink little to no alcohol,

2. a percentage who will pay to upgrade to premium & also pay extra to cover wines that are more than the alloted amount.

Regarding this somehow taking away from elite & above benefits, I don't understand, the posters who enjoy the cocktail hours have always contended that it's about the socializing & not the drinks, so nothing should be lost there.

It would be wonderful for the staff who would be guaranteed the proper amount of tips as they would be included in the upfront price.

There will always be things included in the fare that have no value for some people, we don't go to the MDR, never would go to a show... & so on.

I'd love to see this happen as we do always prepay the gratuities & buy the premium drink pkg. I guess I'm being greedy because it would have a value for us, but I've never complained about the things we pay for that we don't use but others do. :)

I know this might not sound exciting, but I can tell you that within the next year Celebrity is going to make a very exciting announcement that will make our loyal Celebrity cruisers and our shareholders very happy. It will be a significant event in Celebrity history.

Perhaps it will be the announcement that the many problems with Celebrity's pathetic website and computer systems have finally been fixed.

I know that would certainly make many of us very happy.

FWIW many people who don't drink alcohol might be bothered by its inclusion in the cruise fare and I hope they never do it

My husband hasn't had an alcoholic drink for 49 yrs, he would not be happy to have to pay for it and then watch everyone else drink it.( and can't have any himself)

Think of what will attract a younger bussiness class client base, and that is what they will aim for.

How? I am not sure, but I do think they have little incentive to cater to the Zenith or even the Elite + further than they have, as, unfortunately, their cruising years are limited (sorry, I do know that is a broad generality, don't flame me) and Celebrity have to look 10-20 years into the future.

I think luxury land based hotels in exotic locations offering adventure tours.

Cheers, h.

Think of what will attract a younger bussiness class client base, and that is what they will aim for.

How? I am not sure, but I do think they have little incentive to cater to the Zenith or even the Elite + further than they have, as, unfortunately, their cruising years are limited (sorry, I do know that is a broad generality, don't flame me) and Celebrity have to look 10-20 years into the future.

I think luxury land based hotels in exotic locations offering adventure tours.

Cheers, h.

They may take over the club Med resorts that have suffered terribly since the Global financial crisis.;)

123Go is a promotion where you get to pick one of the three options (2 if cruising to Europe) on some of the itineraries. The choices are:

Free classic drink package (includes soda, bottle water, juices, specialty coffees, as well as beer ($5), wine ($8), spirits ($8); or

Prepaid gratuities; or

Onboard credit. QUOTE]

We are sailing on our first Celebrity cruise soon, and we booked with the '123 Go' promotion. We chose the onboard credit, and were surprised that we will also get the classic non-alcoholic drink package and some internet minutes included. On one hand, I think it's fantastic that we will be able to drink bottled water, pop in cans, and specialty coffee as part of our promo. That will save us quite a bit of money that we usually spend on cruises. Although on the other hand, I can only imagine how many other people will also be getting the same, and am wondering how hard it might be to get drinks, and also how many people might abuse it. It'll be interesting to see how it will all work. We will also be Elite status with the Captain's Club.. and will be able to get drinks at breakfast and drinks at the evening cocktail hour. It'll be interesting to see how that will work also, as I'm sure lots of people will be Elite or higher.

Edited by JB3

I can't see Celebrity buying a river cruise company for several reasons [mainly they've missed the window of opportunity before it became saturated].

But if they did, the Elites would scream bloody murder -- because any decent river cruise is all-inclusive, so how would they be treated better than everybody else? :rolleyes:

Based on the demand cruise lines are experiencing in our part of the world they could send us a newer ship to replace The Century and a Sydney to Singapore and Singapore to HK cruise on a more regular basis

On another thread reporting on the New Year's sailing of Reflection someone reported on a conversation that took place with the CD as follows:

NEW SHIP PLANS FOR CELEBRITY: During his question and answer period at "Behind the Stage Door" on Friday afternoon, Andrew, our cruise director, answered a question about Celebrity's future plans for new ships. He said that Celebrity had built the 5 S-Class ships over a very short period of time and as they opened each new ship, Celebrity would assign experienced persons from the existing ships to the new one and that resulted in staffing and performance problems in some of the other ships. Celebrity realized this problem and has decided not to embark on any new ship construction projects for the next 3-4 years at least. Instead they are concentrating on improving the ships that are already in the fleet with better crews, better on-board entertainment, and new cruise destinations.

Andrew then went on to say, (I am not quoting, this is my memory of what he said) I know this might not sound exciting, but I can tell you that within the next year Celebrity is going to make a very exciting announcement that will make our loyal Celebrity cruisers and our shareholders very happy. It will be a significant event in Celebrity history. He gave no further hints or information despite a couple of follow up questions from the audience. So something else we can have fun speculating about on the boards for the next 3 or 4 years as we know that it is what 1 year means in Celebrity time, right!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Can we speculate on what Celebrity is likely to do next -- the "Next Big Move" ???

The reference to shareholders makes me believe that it is strategic rather than operational. I cast my speculative vote on the launch (possibly by acquisition, but more likely by start-up) of a river cruise line.

They seem to have concluded both that the premium ocean cruise market is nearing a short to mid-term saturation point in which financial returns and risk do not support new builds [reading between the lines and not stated that way, but plausible that it is their belief], and that they need to pause and consolidate their expansion and lock-down their quality standards [our recent experience is that Celebrity is accomplishing this goal].

In Europe and elsewhere river cruising is expanding faster than ocean cruising. Many dedicated ocean cruisers are now on second, third and fourth visits to certain coastal ports and desperate to find wholly or mostly new itineraries; river and ocean cruises can be connected b2b in many ports. and cross-promoted. The core competencies (hotel and transport) are the same, just different execution ---- and economies of scale can be realized! Finally, from past readings I vaguely recall that buried in RCCL's 10-K is information about their varied interests in Europe, Asia and elsewhere beyond their three brand names familiar to most of us; I found one or two very brief notes indicating that RCCL does have some joint venture/investment interests on a small, quiet scale in river cruising.

All just wild speculation on my part based on what I would do if I were in senior management of RCCL; what would you do as THE NEXT BIG MOVE???

Based on the demand cruise lines are experiencing in our part of the world they could send us a newer ship to replace The Century and a Sydney to Singapore and Singapore to HK cruise on a more regular basis

If you had written that 2 years ago, I would have agreed, but since then you have had Silhouette!

How new do you want!!