A big thank you to RuthC

imae39

Why thank you! What a nice way to start my day.

I do try to read the question posted, and the question behind it, and give a direct answer. I'm not above rendering an opinion, but it clearly shows as that when I do (I hope).

I am glad that I'm seen as someone who has factual answers, and can explain them in an understandable fashion.

Your post has made my day. :D

Ruth is great. In fact, Ruth - HELP! (Sorry for the thread hijack)

Any hints/tips on things to do on our up img Norway cruise (I know you love Norway ...).

Here is our itinerary:

Bergen, Norway (08:00 AM - 04:00 PM)

Geiranger, Norway (08:00 AM - 05:00 PM)

Alesund, Norway (07:00 AM - 04:00 PM)

Eidfjord, Norway (10:00 AM - 06:00 PM)

Ruth is great. In fact, Ruth - HELP! (Sorry for the thread hijack)

Any hints/tips on things to do on our up img Norway cruise (I know you love Norway ...).

Here is our itinerary:

Bergen, Norway (08:00 AM - 04:00 PM)

Geiranger, Norway (08:00 AM - 05:00 PM)

Alesund, Norway (07:00 AM - 04:00 PM)

Eidfjord, Norway (10:00 AM - 06:00 PM)

Especially for Bergen and Alesund it would help if I knew a little about what you like to do. Bergen is a big city, and offers many varied options. Alesund is also a fairly decent size city, with more than a couple of options.

Geiranger and Eidfjord are smaller, and have their own charms.

First, for Geiranger, get up and get outside for the ride up the fjord. Even I, who hates getting up at 9:00 because it's too early, was outside by 7:00 the last time I was there. :eek: The ride up, then the ride back down the same day can be two entirely different experiences. Don't miss either one.

This is a tender port, with a little shopping center at the dock, and little else around. Find a tour---either HAL, or private (if possible), and get out of town. There's a nice ride up the mountain that offers some great views.

Remember a few years ago there was an ad on TV for some credit card or other? It involved a son who took his father back to the old country to visit. There was a scene with them standing on a rock, looking way, way down to the head of a fjord. That rock, that view, can be scene from up the mountain tour.

I'm not as familiar with Eidfjord, as I have only been there once. Again, the ride up/down the fjord is gorgeous, and worth the view.

There doesn't seem to be much around the dock---just a small settlement---so I would find a tour to get out in the countryside. I did, and enjoyed it. I was there in early May, and there were still several feet of snow along the roadside, topped off with a few inches of power that had fallen that morning. Take your sunglasses! I had snowblindness on that tour.

Let me know what you might be interested in, and I'll see what hints I can narrow down for Bergen and Alesund.

When I post a question and see that RuthC has responded I know that I will receive some very good information.

I really enjoy and learn a lot from reading her postings. Love CC

Two Thumbs Up........

and I fully agree. :)

Nice Post!! :cool:

When I post a question and see that RuthC has responded I know that I will receive some very good information.

I agree I hope to sail with her someday and meet her in person, I will be sure to bring some chocolate to get things started:)

Ruth,

There are LOTS of us who are avid CC readers, but only occasional posters. We know whose opinions we can take on face value as accurate, unbiased, and clearly stated.

There are others, of course, whose contributions are excellent. All of you are very much appreciated.

Richard

Especially for Bergen and Alesund it would help if I knew a little about what you like to do. Bergen is a big city, and offers many varied options. Alesund is also a fairly decent size city, with more than a couple of options.

Geiranger and Eidfjord are smaller, and have their own charms.

First, for Geiranger, get up and get outside for the ride up the fjord. Even I, who hates getting up at 9:00 because it's too early, was outside by 7:00 the last time I was there. :eek: The ride up, then the ride back down the same day can be two entirely different experiences. Don't miss either one.

This is a tender port, with a little shopping center at the dock, and little else around. Find a tour---either HAL, or private (if possible), and get out of town. There's a nice ride up the mountain that offers some great views.

Remember a few years ago there was an ad on TV for some credit card or other? It involved a son who took his father back to the old country to visit. There was a scene with them standing on a rock, looking way, way down to the head of a fjord. That rock, that view, can be scene from up the mountain tour.

I'm not as familiar with Eidfjord, as I have only been there once. Again, the ride up/down the fjord is gorgeous, and worth the view.

There doesn't seem to be much around the dock---just a small settlement---so I would find a tour to get out in the countryside. I did, and enjoyed it. I was there in early May, and there were still several feet of snow along the roadside, topped off with a few inches of power that had fallen that morning. Take your sunglasses! I had snowblindness on that tour.

Let me know what you might be interested in, and I'll see what hints I can narrow down for Bergen and Alesund.

We go in September, the last sailing up, on Rotterdam. Join us! ;)

Anyway, thank you! We are explorers - like wandering around and blending in. We hate organized tours, but know to get up to Mt Dalsnibba in Geiranger is necessary.

We are on this trip for scenery, don't care about museums unless they're phenomenal. Bergen looks easy, just wander, but Alesund and Eidfjord is throwing me for a loop.

Any time I see a post answered by RuthC I read it. I might not be interested, per se, in the topic, but I know I will learn something!

I, too, would love to meet RuthC in person and would bring a box of the very best local chocolates. What I would really like to do is see her presented with her Platinum Medallion!

Thanks, RuthC, for your engaging, detailed facts and opinions!

We are on this trip for scenery, don't care about museums unless they're phenomenal. Bergen looks easy, just wander, but Alesund and Eidfjord is throwing me for a loop.

One time in Alesund there was a HAL tour that was a ride around the city, followed by a long ride out of town to a dock. There, we boarded a catamaran for a gorgeous ride up the fjord, and ended back near the ship for a short walk back.

The ride around the city was so-so, but that water portion of the tour was spectacular! If you like scenery, see if there's something that is available.

Now, I must point out that the weather was very, very nice when I did it. The last time I was there, there was a deluge, and I thought anyone who left the ship was nuts. You do take your chances.

Just the walk around town is interesting. A large portion of the city burned, and was rebuilt. While walking, be sure to look up at the facades of the buildings, and see the interesting architecture. There's a difference between the "new" and old sections.

Your walk may take you to a park with a high hill. From there, you will see gorgeous views in all directions. There's also a little tram to get you up there; I don't know where you pick it up, but I'm sure the info is easy to find out.

Sorry about September. I'm in Alaska early that month.

Another thank you for all the great information you provide to the rest of us. In addition to educating us on the in's and out's of cruising, your responses are so diplomatic, which is quite an art (or the result of having great parents).

... your responses are so diplomatic, which is quite an art (or the result of having great parents).

More likely the result of 30+ years of getting in trouble at work when I wasn't diplomatic. ;)

But thanks for letting me know that I did learn! :D

RuthC is a very asset on these boards and we are lucky to have her :D

Her posts are always informative and well done.

Thank you Ruth:D

Thank you, all, for the really, really nice comments.

It would be my pleasure to sail with any or all of you.

That would be awesome although the interval between your rising and my bedtime would be pretty short.

Roy

Ruth C is truly an asset to these boards. She tells it like it is. I had the pleasure of visiting with her on the Veendam when it sailed from NY. Ruth and I went to see Retreat #1 together. What a fiasco that was.

Keep on helping us with your words of wisdom, Ruth.

Ruth, what DID you do in your "former" life" ? I can't imagine you being less than diplomatic at whatever it was...and I also bet that you were truly a pleasure to work with. There are always a lot of boring people that we all work with and I am sure you were NOT one of them :).

I with could have met you a few years ago in Seattle....maybe we'll get another chance sometime :).

We visit Bergen last year with the Eurodam! Tip: walk straight to the Flobanen

http://www.floibanen.com

and take the train up for the great view. We decided to take a one way train and walked down with our children. A great walk which takes about a hour, please wear good sneakers!

Ofcourse you can also take the train back.

When we came down there was a long queue at the ticketoffice!!

After that we took a walk back to the ship for a small lunch, I stayed at the ship with DS so he could take a swim (it was a beautiful sunny day) and DH & DD went back and visit down town Bergen, the fishmarket etc…

we all had a great day!

Ruth, what DID you do in your "former" life" ?

I studied to be a teacher, but after one year I decided it wasn't for me; after two years I decided I was right. So, I went to work in a state department, working my way up to supervisor. I ended by career as statewide trainer for the agency.

All that background explains why I try to see the "real" question asked, and answer it directly. I had to get my staff on track, and on with the job.

I with could have met you a few years ago in Seattle....maybe we'll get another chance sometime :).

I will be in Seattle for a few days between cruises this summer. Perhaps we can get together then? I'd like that.