Dinner in Windjammer?

ValerieJo

We are doing MTD on our upcoming cruises. However, we've never done dinner in the Windjammer. This time we would like to pack a bit lighter and a bit more casual for this longer trip.

We will probably do MDR a couple of nights and Specialty Restaurants a couple of nights. However, we won't be bringing formal clothes for formal nights.

I did notice on the 2nd formal night (I believe), Rack of Lamb is served. Would this be available in the Windjammer for dinner if we decide to eat there? Are the same dishes served in the MDR, served as well in the Windjammer for dinner?

Any helpful comments on having a dinner or two in the Windjammer? I would appreciate the input.

Thanks.

I remember my husband was ill for two days on one of our cruises. Instead of going to the MDR by myself, I made 2 trays from the Windjammer both nights. I remember it was the same thing because there was something on the MDR menu that I really wanted and they had it in the Windjammer. :)

I have only eaten dinner in the Windjammer once during our past few cruises. If I recall correctly the food served is very similar to lunch. The menu is not the same as the MDR. However, last year I met a woman who went into the MDR and requested her meal to go. She then went up to the Windjammer and ate it there. I don't know if this happens very often. Perhaps someone else on Cruise Critic can address this.

I've found that the WJ does not always have exactly the same things. Instead of rack of lamb they might offer roast lamb.

I'd dress nicely on the second formal night (smart casual) and if the WJ doesn't have rack of lamb, I'd go ahead and eat in the MDR.

We eat dinner in the WJ a lot. Many of the dishes from the MDR are also served in the WJ, but not all. There are also many things served in the WJ that aren't in the MDR. I have never seen the rack of lamb served in the WJ but that doesn't mean it won't be on your ship. You can always ask in the WJ earlier in the day and then make your decision. The second formal night typically has the fisherman's platter and we have never seen the lobster in the WJ either, though I know of at least one other poster who has seen lobster in the WJ.

The Windjammer selections are similar to what is in the dining room. On some ships, in addition to the nightly menu, there may also be a sushi bar, a pasta station or a Chinese create your own dish station. The staff does the cooking after you do the choosing! If the lamb is not there, you can ask your waiter for a to go plate and they will get it for you.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'm usually a big MDR person but on the Grandeur last week I did go to the Windjammer the second night, seas got really rough from 4:30-5:30 and just didn't feel good. I did go to the captain's reception at 7:00 and the Windjammer for dinner at 8:00 and loved it. On previous sailings the menu usually matched the MDR but for this sailing not a single item matched. The compass listed a daily theme for both the Windjammer and Main Dinning Room. The MDR is always an ingredient while the Windjammer seemed to be a different nationality each day. The night I went was Indian. Unlike for lunch nothing repeats in different spots so the selection was huge and everything was delicious. It was probably the best meal I had in their all sailing. The atmosphere was nice with the lights dimmed and it was much emptier than during the day so it was quiet. The crew working were very helpful as always but stayed more distant so you never felt like you were being rushed out like during breakfast and lunch. I was also surprised to see that many people actually showed up in full tuxes in addition to the people in sweatshirts, dress covered the entire spectrum. Of course if you like something on the MDR menu you can always request it to go. I know during dinner we have been given the option if someone skipped dinner. Not sure if you don't go at all if you can request it in the Windjammer or have to go down yourself to order it. I'm sure you could probably go 30 minutes early and put the order in so it's waiting for you to pick up.

We have just about quit going to the MDR in favor of the Windjammer or the Specialty Restaurants.

It is calm & quiet if you go when it first opens and there is a vast variety of food. There is always at least one carved meat. (We have seen Prime rib, filet of Beef, Turkey, Lamb, and Ham)

This thread is old but it has many photos of food in the Windjammer. (My Doctors have disapproved this thread)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1218003

We have just about quit going to the MDR in favor of the Windjammer or the Specialty Restaurants.

It is calm & quiet if you go when it first opens and there is a vast variety of food. There is always at least one carved meat. (We have seen Prime rib, filet of Beef, Turkey, Lamb, and Ham)

This thread is old but it has many photos of food in the Windjammer. (My Doctors have disapproved this thread)

The photos didn't open. I guess that they go back too far. Anyway, we'll see for ourselves shortly.

We have always been a big fan of the WJ dinner on our many cruises we have done with RCI....with the recent exception of the Oasis..a madhouse :eek:..

MTD was our preferred dining on that particular cruise for dinner.

My sister and I, on our last cruise, decided we didn't want to sit for a couple of hours in the MDR nor did we want to eat in the Windjammer. Beside we do know that not everything offered in the MDR will be available in the Windjammer.

We went to our usual table in the MDR, ordered our entrée and ask it we could take it to go. Our waiter gave us our plates with the dome covers and told us to enjoy our meal. We found a quiet table in the Serenity area where we enjoyed our meal.

BTW there were several other people doing this. When we were leaving with our empty dishes and silverware to bring back to the DR one of the crew members saw us and told us not to worry that she would take care of it for us.

So we didn't have to go downstairs to return them or just leave them hanging round on one of the tables in the Serenity looking messy.

<a href=DSC_4376_zps8a9bbbea.jpg' alt='DSC_4376_

I tried MTD for the first time on my last cruise and I won't be going back to traditional. I had dinner about 3 times in the Windjammer and that is now my preferred way of having dinner. It was relaxed, quiet and the food was really good. It also makes it much easier to pack!

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

We feel the same way. The MDR is just too fussy for us. I love seeing all the people and fmilies dressed up but for us (FOS) having beach days and pool days, the WJ suited us. I like how relaxed I was in there. The food suited us just fine.

I love the salad bar and fruit and sushi.