Coast Guard medevacs injured cruise ship Veendam passenger

johngettler

About a day into the 5 sea days from San Deigo to Hawaii, the Veendam needed to turn back to San Diego to medivac a 69-year-old woman who fell down a stairwell and suffered head injuries and internal bleeding. The Coast Gaurd helicopter can only fly 150 miles out before needing to turn back, so that is where they rendezvoused. Apparently there was not enough room in the helicopter for her husband, so the husband is still with the ship and will need to fly back to San Diego once he arrives in Hawaii. The Veendam is now on her way to Hawaii. But I haven't heard if this ship will still make Hilo it's first port, or if it will need to skip that port and make Honolulu it's first port. If anyone's hears whether they will make Hilo on time, let me know. My mom and a couple friends are on the Veendam.

http://coastguardnews.com/video-coast-guard-medevacs-injured-cruise-ship-veendam-passenger/2014/01/23/

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/01/articles/rescue-1/coast-guard-medevacs-injured-passenger-from-hal-veendam/

Edited by johngettler

This unfortunately happens on the Hawaii run, thank God for the Coast Guard! We were a day late returning on the Oosterdam to San Diego as we had to turn around to medevac 3 passengers once back in range of the Big Island.

I pray that she recovers quickly and fully.

Edited by localady

About a day into the 5 sea days from San Deigo to Hawaii, the Veendam needed to turn back to San Diego to medivac a 69-year-old woman fell down a stairwell and suffered head injuries and internal bleeding. The Coast Gaurd helicopter can only fly 150 miles out before needing to turn back, so that is where they rendezvoused. Apparently there was not enough room in the helicopter for her husband, so the husband is still with the ship and will need to fly back to San Diego once he arrives in Hawaii. The Veendam is now on her way to Hawaii. But I haven't heard if this ship will still make Hilo it's first port, or if it will need to skip that port and make Honolulu it's first port. If anyone's hears whether they will make Hilo on time, let me know. My mom and a couple friends are on the Veendam.

http://coastguardnews.com/video-coast-guard-medevacs-injured-cruise-ship-veendam-passenger/2014/01/23/

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/01/articles/rescue-1/coast-guard-medevacs-injured-passenger-from-hal-veendam/

Sorry to hear about this incident, and I do hope that all will be ok for the injured lady.

BTW, your caption is ambiguous, and I thought that the medivacs had injured the passenger they were evacuating! Having seen the care they take during two separate medivacs during our last HAL cruise, I wondered what had gone wrong with this one.

BTW, your caption is ambiguous, and I thought that the medivacs had injured the passenger they were evacuating! Having seen the care they take during two separate medivacs during our last HAL cruise, I wondered what had gone wrong with this one.

I was a bit flummoxed byt the caption, too.

I've seen a number of evacs at sea and I'm always amazed at how smoothly and professionally they've been carried out.

Five days at sea would have put the ship closer to Hawaii than SD, I would think.

................... Apparently there was not enough room in the helicopter for her husband, so the husband is still with the ship and will need to fly back to San Diego once he arrives in Hawaii. ..............................]

Just a heads up; the normal crew for a mission like this in a HH-60 Jayhawk are the Aircraft Commander/Pilot in charge, Co-Pilot, Flight Mechanic/Hoist Operator and Rescue Swimmer (you can see all four in the video toward the end; the rescue swimmer is the one with the yellow sleeves on his orange flight suit). At times, a Coast Guard EMT can/will be added based on the mission. There is plenty of room in the aft compartment of the HH-60 for additional persons, incl. the victim's husband however, as a rule, relatives are not taken onboard due to the inherent risk of the hoist operation from a moving ship. The individual who, at times, based on the circumstances, will be hoisted up from the ship is one of the vessel's Medical Officers who will accompany the patient. Btw, there is nothing wrong with your title/caption. It describes exactly what occurred here!

Edited by Copper10-8

Thank you for the information and the link and the video of the helicopter landing. I also appreciated your insight John. I hope they had insurance to cover this. A few years ago I had to have a cardiac angiogram the Monday before I was to sail to Alaska. I tried to talk the cardiologist into waiting until my return and the Doctor said "Father, it will cost a lot of money to helicopter you off a ship to a Hospital in Alaska. You be here Monday." By the way, he let me take the trip as I was the Chaplain. I had heart surgery after I returned.

I am sure the woman's husband is under a lot of stress right now.

Sorry to hear about this incident, and I do hope that all will be ok for the injured lady.

I agree with your comment about the caption. I too thought the medivacs had injured the passenger. I hope the woman is OK.

I agree with your comment about the caption. I too thought the medivacs had injured the passenger. I hope the woman is OK.

Carol, good morning :)

A "Medevac" is not a person. It is the act of MEDically EVACuating someone, in this case from the Veendam ;)

"Coast Guard medevacs injured cruise ship Veendam passenger."

The sentence is not ambiguous, it clearly says that the Coast Guard injured a Veendam passenger with more than one medical evacuation.

"Medivac" is a noun, not a verb. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/medivac The only verb in the sentence is "injured".

From dictionary.com:

medivac

med·i·vac [med-uh-vak]

noun, verb (used with object), med·i·vacked, med·i·vack·ing.

medevac.

Edited by Boytjie

"Coast Guard medevacs injured cruise ship Veendam passenger."

The sentence is not ambiguous, it clearly says that the Coast Guard injured a Veendam passenger with more than one medical evacuation.

"Medivac" a noun, not a verb. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/medivac The only verb in the sentence is "injured".

Not entirely true...Medivac can be both a noun & a verb..

It is a verb when used with an object as Boytjie mentioned from Dictionary.com it also states:

Quote noun 1. a helicopter for evacuating the wounded from a battlefield.

2.an ambulance or other vehicle equipped for emergency transport of medical patients.

3. any of the trained personnel transporting or otherwise tending to the sick or wounded in a medevac.

verb (used with object), med·e·vacked, med·e·vack·ing.

4. to transport (sick or wounded persons) by medevac.

Believe the object used here is the "injured passenger." I'm not sure but I think if it said Medivac's (apostrophe S) then it would be a Pronoun.. Since there was no apostrophie S, then it's a Verb used with an object (injured Passenger) ..

Wish my English Teacher Aunt, who I dearly miss, was around to set me straight.. LOL [

QUOTE=Boytjie;41433333]From dictionary.com:

medivac

med·i·vac [med-uh-vak]

noun, verb (used with object), med·i·vacked, med·i·vack·ing.

medevac.

In any event, I admit to doing a double take when I read the Title of the thread! Was unsure until I read the OP's post.. No problem as most of us are not English Professor's.. LOL

Cheers...Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

After reading about passengers falling down the stairs and hurting their heads, I wonder why the fell. Was it dizziness, rough seas, black outs, tripping, not using rails? I guess there are other reasons but it makes me leery of going down the stairs. I hope all went well for this lady after landing in San Diego.

"Medevacs" is a present tense singular verb, not a plural noun in this sentence. The "s" ending caused the confusion. An apostrophe would make it a singular possessive noun not a pronoun. "Injured" is a participle meaning a verb form used as an adjective.

Perhaps it would be easier to see how it works if one simply substitutes more familiar terms as in "Doctor treats injured passenger." Here it is easy to see that "treats" tells what the doctor is doing, and "injured" tells what kind of patient.

It would say 'injure passenger' if that's is what was meant.

Think back to what we were taught in primary school - a verb is a "doing" word ie 'to medevac'.

May have been clearer if heading said medevaced injured passenger.

Ah well.

Think back to what we were taught in primary school - a verb is a "doing" word ie 'to medevac'.

Ah well.

As a boss of mine used to say "English is a precise language if used precisely". In this case I understood that it was an injured passenger who was Medevac'd not that the process of Medevac'ing injured a passenger. If that was the case then it would be more appropriate to say "Medevac injures a Veendam passenger".

Ah well.

I agree. But the message got across anyway.;)