YES it is a SCAM

The phone calls for the free cruise starts out like this...

You have won a free Royal Caribbian Cruise...

When you ask what cruise line the answer is...

A free Royal Caribbean Cruise on Royal Bahamas Cruise Line.

I hope Royal Caribbean can somehow put a stop to this misleading scam. It seems many are getting these calls!!!

Many like it... royal cant control it.

Off topic, but the funniest call I ever got was:

Caller: May I speak to John's mother, please?

Me: I'm sorry, she can't come to the phone right now. She's dead. (Really, she was)

Caller: OK, I'll call back later.

Me: OK, but she'll still be dead.

They kept calling, I kept saying she was dead. Then I referred them to Madam Sarah, the medium who can contact people in the great beyond. The calls stopped.

My grandmother had the same experience. My grandfather had died a few short months prior. She said he was no longer available at this phone number. The caller asked when my grandmother expected him back, and she said "only the Lord knows."

The one time it turned out to be true was when I got a call about a Las Vegas trip. I told them to hold on. Called the hotel they were using and affirmed that they had blocks of rooms booked.

Turns out we stayed there four days, saw Lance Burton and a couple of other class headliner acts, had meals included, and for $200, was probably the best vacation value we ever had.

But unfortunately, most are frauds. One named a ship and I couldn't find it anywhere in the world in a ship registry.

You are correct, I just got a call this morning that showed it was from my local area code and prefix, I let it go to my voicemail, and they actually left a message stating I had recently inquired about applying for Social Security Benefits, and the woman's voice asked: 'Can you hear me ok?"

Two problems with above, another scam is having someone asking if you can hear them ok, you say "yes", they record that "yes", and off they go using your voice to defraud you.

Next problem, that woman's voice is the exact same voice last week that called me and told me my warranty on a car I owned 10 years ago (and no longer own), has expired, and I must purchase a new warranty now!

Well, I've always turned to Cruise Critic for valuable cruise info, but who knew that I would learn so much re scams. The first time I had one of the "can you hear me OK"? calls it went like this:

"Alex?" I said "yes" and then "Can you hear me OK?" I said "yes". So now they have me confirming my name and giving a "yes" answer on their recording. I hung up soon afterwards when it was a clear scam, but now I realize the possible implications of that call and that someone has me confirming my name and then saying yes on a recording. The second time I had a call from them, I recognized "the voice" and immediately started screaming into the phone "why are you calling me?! Don't call here again!" and hung up, but honestly, I did not realize that answering "yes" after the "can you hear me OK" would be something they could use. *sigh* Well, I will try not to lose sleep over this tonight and I thank you for this very valuable info.

Well, I've always turned to Cruise Critic for valuable cruise info, but who knew that I would learn so much re scams. The first time I had one of the "can you hear me OK"? calls it went like this:

"Alex?" I said "yes" and then "Can you hear me OK?" I said "yes". So now they have me confirming my name and giving a "yes" answer on their recording. I hung up soon afterwards when it was a clear scam, but now I realize the possible implications of that call and that someone has me confirming my name and then saying yes on a recording. The second time I had a call from them, I recognized "the voice" and immediately started screaming into the phone "why are you calling me?! Don't call here again!" and hung up, but honestly, I did not realize that answering "yes" after the "can you hear me OK" would be something they could use. *sigh* Well, I will try not to lose sleep over this tonight and I thank you for this very valuable info.

Our local police warned about this a few years ago. Sorry you didn't get the message not to say "yes" and hope they don't use it against you in one of their scams. There is hardly a day goes by that I don't receive multiple scam calls on my land line and on my cell and many follow the local area code and my prefix. Don't know why the powers that be can't stop this.

I knew about not saying "yes" but a few months ago I inadvertently did it. I said yes. And, like you, I worried about it. Actually THEY hung up as soon as I said yes, so I was really nervous about it.

Fortunately, nothing happened to me. Chances are you'll probably be OK too.

I did a little research on this after I stupidly answered YES, and what I came up with was that your number will probably be put on a list or sold as someone who will answer calls from unknown numbers. That's it.

Sleep well.:p

Edited by mafig

I got the " you just won a free cruise " call this week. I was in one of those moods, (what do you take me for) so I listened to their speel, asking questions along the way, it was only $65 per person for port charges. I asked how I could pay for it, of course they wanted my credit card number. I said you have to be kidding, if you think I am just going to give my credit card to a stranger representing a cruise line I had never heard of. Anyway they hung up. On the spoofing of local phone numbers, I called the FTC and currently they can't do anything about it. You can file a claim which I did, but nothing became of it. The spammer/scammers are now spoofing actual credit card customer service numbers. So beware. I got one from Chase and one from Discover. I didn't answer either, just called back the numbers which were the same as the ones on my credit card statements for customer service. I reported it to them. So beware.

I never answer a call from numbers I don't know unless I am specifically waiting for a call. If a number calls more than once or twice without leaving a message or if it leaves a message thats clearly a scam, I block it. That has greatly reduced the number of bs calls I get.

Don't know why the powers that be can't stop this.

It's largely because most of these scam calls nowadays are processed using VoIP (voice over IP) and originate from outside the US. Only the last part -- the "final mile" in telco parlance -- is handled through traditional telephone lines or cellular towers.

Spoofing numbers is easy for them and while you can block them, they just change the numbers...and yes, I get a lot from my own area code and prefix...ironically that's a signal to me that they're fake.

I quit blocking them (there's little point in doing so nowadays) and I just swipe-ignore any call I don't recognize. Almost always I see a 2-second voicemail sow up afterwards. I delete, and move on.

It's largely because most of these scam calls nowadays are processed using VoIP (voice over IP) and originate from outside the US.

The poster is correct, near where I live in the Philippines is 100's of call centers some real companies, with real products. Capital One, has several large centers here. But also many other centers doing things that while legal or on the edge here would never be tolerated in the United States.

Many things not legal in other places are being done here and the company paperwork can be straw names. Plus the fact it is very cheap to do. If you wanted you could have a complete 30 person call center here for less than US$10,000 up and running. Take all the money you can, until you have a problem and then walk away and start over again.

There is hardly a day goes by that I don't receive multiple scam calls on my land line and on my cell and many follow the local area code and my prefix. Don't know why the powers that be can't stop this.

Because the right person hasn't gotten the call yet. Remember the "auto warranty" scam calls a decade ago? And how they seemingly stopped overnight? Here's why: https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/ftc-cracks-down-on-car-warranty-robocalls/

The scammers have also changed their tricks and various technologies have made it easier and easier for them to conceal where the call is coming from.

I never answer a call from numbers I don't know unless I am specifically waiting for a call. If a number calls more than once or twice without leaving a message or if it leaves a message thats clearly a scam, I block it. That has greatly reduced the number of bs calls I get.

I do exactly the same as you, except that if they do not leave a message the first time, I block it immediately. Most scammers never leave a message, legit callers usually do. My phone is for my use, my pleasure, and no one else has any right to use it unless I approve. It's a real shame that with all our technology, we have to put up with this.

I have a young sounding voice, so when I used to answer my land line, I would get a lot of "can I speak to your mother?" responses. Loved replying "she's not here." Now, I am with every else. If I don't recognize a number, I don't answer and I let it go to voicemail. Hope there's a special (horrible) place reserved for people who take advantage of others.

I have gotten emails a couple of times from someone purporting to be a friend who's traveling abroad and says that her credit cards and money have been stolen and would I please wire money to a Western Union somewhere so she can pay their hotel bill and go home. Always (amazingly) she has her passport so she has the i.d. necessary to pick up the money.

I have to post this on this scam. We are going on our 4th RC cruise in 3 years in two weeks with my husband brother and family. It would be his brothers first cruise. My brother in law gets this call from a guy named Dean, said calling about your upcoming vacation thats it. Brother in law engages in a conversation with him, Dean then told him he has a upgrade package that is includes a suite upgrade from ocean view balcon they reserved premium drink package, choose any exuriosion offered by the cruise line, priority boarding and $300 additional OBC. To take advantage of this all we needed to do is send Dean our conceniure $750 via western union each party, it would save us 1K. Thank goodness my husband told me about this I called royal Caribbean and indeed its a scam. Phone number is a fort Lauderdale area code. This Dean was so convincing that my husband and his brother almost fell for it.

I do exactly the same as you, except that if they do not leave a message the first time, I block it immediately. Most scammers never leave a message, legit callers usually do. My phone is for my use, my pleasure, and no one else has any right to use it unless I approve. It's a real shame that with all our technology, we have to put up with this.

I run a business, so occasionally people do call my personal cell and don't leave a message the first time, so I give them a couple shots before I block it. Some companies don't leave messages when they call either. I know sleep number didn't when they were calling to schedule a delivery. The key is not answering more than blocking. If you never answer, they eventually drop your number from their lists. Or at least it appears so to me.

Because the right person hasn't gotten the call yet. Remember the "auto warranty" scam calls a decade ago? And how they seemingly stopped overnight? Here's why: https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/ftc-cracks-down-on-car-warranty-robocalls/

The scammers have also changed their tricks and various technologies have made it easier and easier for them to conceal where the call is coming from.

Actually.....I remember the "auto warranty" calls from, like, yesterday. I've been averaging one or two calls from them per day for the last few years. I ignore them now, but for a while it was funny/sad.

"The warranty on your 2011 Ford Focus has expired--"

"That's okay. The car was destroyed in a DUI wreck* last year."

"Are you still interested in an extended warranty?"

"Ummm....did I mumble?...."

:) :(

-----

* not me, the other driver was DUI, whew

I like the calls about the warranty on my newest car. Funny, I have a factory, bumper to bumper, LIFETIME warranty ( as long as I own the car). How does a lifetime warranty expire?

On another forum, someone suggested just asking the person if a certain part of their anatomy was large (appropriate to the gender of the caller). I did this to one female scammer. And it was hilarious as she got VERY angry. And threatened to ban my IP address.

Another time, a guy called, and I was in a bad mood and in a hurry, so said F--- OFF, and hung up. He called back to complain that I F-bombed him. REALLY? So I F-bombed him over and over as I commented that he had called me to scam me and now he was upset because I told him to F--- OFF. So then F--- OFF, and I hung up again. :D

The best one I had was from “microsoft” I was in the mood for a laugh so played along. For 20 minutes I made out to be an older computer illiterate woman who couldn’t find the escape key (I would pretend to push individual keys) and many others. I was told my computer was at risk and I needed to do all this stuff to it. My young daughters were in fits of laughter watching me pretend to use a laptop while talking in a funny voice. Finally after 20mins I was told that I was being very rude and wasting his time!!!!!!!!! Never heard from them again!

I find i get alot of phone scams after being here on cruise critic. And if your not in my contacts (i only have a cell) i dont answer. If a message hasn't been left i reverse search the number. Then block it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk