How do I convince frriends to cruise?

toothmaker

I LOVE cruising...It's seems that no matter what I say or explain I don't have any luck convincing friends or relatives to cruise with us or without us. Would love to have some of them experience the "Total Escape" with us How do I do it?:)

Find out what's most important to them. If the bottom line is the key for them, make a chart showing what a land vacation will cost them and what a cruise will cost them. The cruise will almost always come out cheaper.

If it's pampering they want, show them the spa treatments, The Sanctuary, the Chef's Table, specialty dining, etc.

All it takes is 1 good cruise and they might be hooked. Good luck! :)

This is really difficult because some people have pre-conceived notions about cruise ships and cruising fueled by sensational (and inaccurate and irresponsible) reports by the media. I'd print out some Patters and some menus so they can get a sense of the activities and what to do on the ship as well as what sort of food options there are. I'd print out itineraries and excursions on what you can do in port. Emphasize that you unpack only once yet you get to go to several places and see a variety of things. Compare the cost of a cruise vs. a land vacation with all that's included on the cruise.

It's an uphill challenge. Some people are adamant that they'd hate it. :(

:) Pam

Edited by Pam in CA

I LOVE cruising...It's seems that no matter what I say or explain I don't have any luck convincing friends or relatives to cruise with us or without us. Would love to have some of them experience the "Total Escape" with us How do I do it?:)

Don't put too much effort into it...you will only wind up frustrated.

We know a couple....if you ask the husband about cruising....his wife doesn't want to go.....if you ask the wife...her husband doesn't want to go.

There can be financial issues that no one wants to admit and there can be prejudices and phobias that, again, no one wants to disclose.

Let your friends know that they are welcome, but don't get too intense with your encouragement. When/if they change their thinking about a cruise, you will know it.

I wish I could help but I am in the same boat. No matter how hard I try I can't get anyone to go with me. It doesn't help that I live in Nebraska and airfare is as expensive as the cruise. I finally got my sister and her husband to go with us and they loved it. Unfortunately, money definitely is an issue.

We talked some "all inclusive" friends into joining us on our Caribbean cruise last spring, with the promise we would join them on their next all inclusive, which we have never done.

They went into it with the same mindset we had when we went to Alaska. Excited to be on vacation, but this will be a one time deal. Didn't take long till they were asking when we would be interested in going back to Alaska. We just decided today that we will do Panama in 2016, and they want to join us.

One thing that sold them was the quality of food and drink. They said it was amazing in comparison to resorts they had stayed at. She always has stomach issues when eating in new places, but never had an issue on the cruise, other than over indulging. They also enjoyed visiting many different places in one vacation. They said it has given them ideas of places they would like to return to for a land based vacation.

Needless to say, we have no plans for any all inclusives.

Maybe you should just stop and leave them alone. I suspect that they are getting totally sick and tired of you carrying on about how wonderful cruising is and wish that you would just be quiet.

Let me slightly rephrase your post -

"How Do I Convince My Friends to try Sky Diving

I LOVE skydiving .. it seems as if no matter what I say or explain I don't have any luck ....."

Get my point.

DON

Believe it or not I know people who haved cruised and didn't like it! There are some people who will never warm up ot the idea of cruising. I would say that that's their loss...but as I said, some people realy don't like it.

Best to spend your time planninf for things you like to do. Let someone elsa worry about the others.....

Having read all the responses to my question I thank you! All the responses had a great direction to follow or not. I have tried most if not all the ways mentioned in your replies with no luck, so I will from this point forward just answer questions if asked and quit begging. To each his/her own...

My buddy convinced the DW and I to go on our first cruise for our honeymoon...we have been addicted ever since. Our passion for cruising is infectious, and just about everyone that we come in contact with has since gone on a cruise or wants to in the future. I got my co-worker to take his honeymoon at sea. My brother and I sent our parents on a cruise for their 40th anniversary, and they have gone every year since. The DW and I took her parents on a cruise with us….it was the only way to get them to take a vacation at the time….they have cruised annually ever since. Everyone knows we live to cruise, and as a result they want to see what the fuss is all about :)

Showing people your pictures from the ship and the islands is also a good aid. Let them see the beautiful views, the great looking food, etc...

Edited by lor74

I tend to try and avoid attempting to convince people to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on something that they may not enjoy. I see a lot of "don't knock it if you haven't tried it" posts (recently concerning the Royal), and there's a presumption that a cruise is comparable in time and money to trying a new burger joint down the road. If they don't have interest, they don't have interest.

My brother and his wife said they did not want to go on cruises even though we always came back from them talking about what a great time we had. They finally took their first cruise four years ago. They've been on seven since and have their ninth booked for this fall--a trans-Atlantic.

Maybe you should just stop and leave them alone. I suspect that they are getting totally sick and tired of you carrying on about how wonderful cruising is and wish that you would just be quiet.

Let me slightly rephrase your post -

"How Do I Convince My Friends to try Sky Diving

I LOVE skydiving .. it seems as if no matter what I say or explain I don't have any luck ....."

Get my point.

DON

I'm in that same mindset. Fortunately I have a hubby who loves cruising (in fact, he's the one responsible for my addiction.:) So hopefully we'll stay healthy for a long time and for some more vacations together.

A couple who we know hasn't been on a cruise. Usually most of their vacations have been back east to visit his or her parents. We suspect too that the man is too frugal to consider a cruise, and the wife too concerned she'll be seasick (I tend to motion sickness so I'm the one who takes lots of ginger on our cruises), but I think she'll love the spa. Early on, we decided not to try to talk them into going on a cruise with us. If they are ever thinking of it, they know they can ask for our advice. But in all honesty both of us think a vacation with them would be a nightmare.

My parents were also reluctant for this type of vacation. I guess the ship my father had to take to get to Asia and back for his WWII service for enough ocean travel for him. Most of their vacations together were trips to Europe (I've never been myself). After my father's passing, my sister became my mother's travel companion, and besides trips to Europe, my sister convinced my mother to finally go on a cruise, and she said she did enjoy the 4-day cruise wearing her patch for seasickness. But that was enough for her.

From time to time, someone will say they didn't care for the cruise they went on, but I don't feel the need to say anything other than I enjoy mine. More often, someone will bring up a cruise they've been on with fondness.

I don't feel it is my responsibility to convice anyone to cruise. I am happy to talk to people about cruising IF they have questions or concerns.

To paraphrase Yogi Berra, if people don't want to cruise, you can't stop them.

This is really difficult because some people have pre-conceived notions about cruise ships and cruising fueled by sensational (and inaccurate and irresponsible) reports by the media. I'd print out some Patters and some menus so they can get a sense of the activities and what to do on the ship as well as what sort of food options there are. I'd print out itineraries and excursions on what you can do in port. Emphasize that you unpack only once yet you get to go to several places and see a variety of things. Compare the cost of a cruise vs. a land vacation with all that's included on the cruise.

It's an uphill challenge. Some people are adamant that they'd hate it. :(

:) Pam

Great advice as always, Pam...

We just started cruising last year. We actually have a few friends that are going on their own cruises now. We are a bit in the younger crowd (late 20s/30s) so we posted all our pictures and posted/checked into our facebook page. Think this made our friends WANT to do a cruise. They saw how much fun we had, now they want to have some fun too!

One of the things I always tell people is how much I loved being catered to and being able to go to many ports without having to lug my bags around. AND all the food!!! and being able to brink my own wine/champagne with me. And the Room Service for breakfast while I stepped out into my balcony. and the towel animals! and just how free I felt to relax and not worry about anything!

Think this sold them!

13 years ago good friends shared patters and books from their Alaska trip which led to booking our first cruise in a long time. We loved it and have taken cruises since. However I am hesitant to spend much time encouraging anyone new if they verbalize concerns about getting sick onboard or they mention the Carnival mishap or the Costa disaster. I did share patters and European tour books with a friend who did not book, I think she was sticker shocked.

We got hooked in 2004 on the Caribbean Princess, but for me there are three reasons:

1. Room cost is around $100 per person per day (balcony). For this you get a dinner worth that much in a restaurant, plus all the rest of your food and your "hotel." Except for camping, its cheaper to cruise.

2. You can do as much or as little as you want. Very relaxing, with everyone on board trying hard to make your vacation great.

3. Most importantly, NO DRIVING. I drove the road to Hana and remember none of the scenery....

I don't try to convince anyone so I won't have be responsible if they don't have fun. I do talk about how much I love cruising and about my experiences. I let them decide if they want to go. For me, I just love to cruise. My friends also love to cruise, but they either can't afford it or don't have the time. I decided I didn't want to stay home because my friends couldn't go. Now I sail solo and, honestly, I love it. I love my friends, but when I cruise alone I can do whatever I want when I want to do it. I know the idea of going by yourself might be intimidating, but maybe it will grow on you in time.

I agree. Don't convince anyone. Two years ago 3 friends of mine went on a cruise. Another group of friends joined. We all had a good time. Last year same group went but we swapped room mates. Had a miserable time and now a very strained friendship. Choose wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app