Host Andy - Live From Century (February 2014)

Andy

Soda pop is always extra cost on Celebrity unless you have a beverage package (like was offered as part of 123Go).

In order to connect to the internet while on the ship you have to purchase a package. There is WiFi everywhere on the ship but it costs money to use it. Starts at $0.75 per minute and goes down as you buy more minutes in the package. Many ports support US mobile carriers (St Thomas, San Juan, etc). At those ports you can use your phone like in the US.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

A somewhat related but different question. What are the Captain's Club benefits on the shortened three day cruises? Specficially what did they offer for internet? I know you're Zenith, but what about the rest of the levels?

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

We are on the three cruises starting Feb. 12th. I posted on Andy's "questions" thread too. The Captain's Club benefits are the same as on the longer cruises. We got the same set of coupons for both the 3-night and 8-night cruises. 90 minutes Internet for Elite. 200 minutes for Elite Plus. Kathy

We are on the three cruises starting Feb. 12th. I posted on Andy's "questions" thread too. The Captain's Club benefits are the same as on the longer cruises. We got the same set of coupons for both the 3-night and 8-night cruises. 90 minutes Internet for Elite. 200 minutes for Elite Plus. Kathy

Just getting to reading that thread now.

Thanks!

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Hi Andy....glad to see you are making the most of your trip. We'll be sailing on the Century in a few weeks and have an aft cabin on deck 9. I was rather curious about any noticeable vibration towards the aft on this boat on this deck. We sailed all the way aft on the Mercury before and when they pulled into port, it just popped you right out of bed. Do you think it would be worth it to pay a bit extra to move a little towards midship?

Also, have you heard anything good or bad about Murano since you've been onboard? I am trying to plan something special for my DHs birthday and thought that might be a nice option. thanks so much and enjoy the rest of your cruise!! :)

Cruise Raider,

We just got off Century yesterday and were in cabin 1241 (deck 12 aft). During docking/maneuvering the ship would vibrate considerably, enough to wake you up in the mornings. If you have a port intensive itinerary or aren't planning on being up around arrival time, it might be worth moving forward.

As for Murano, we ate there on the second night and found that it was comparable to what we had experienced on Silhouette and have no complaints.

Enjoy your cruise!

I've attempted to upload my scans but Century's internet connection has prevented me from posting after an hour's worth of being kicked off repeatedly.

Totally frustrating…

Thx for trying; sorry you were so frustrated! Hope it'll be the biggest worry of the entire cruise.

Hi Everyone,

My apologies for not being around much the past couple of days. The internet has been absolutely impossible. Much worse than the first leg of the back to back. I tried signing on a few times last night, and could not connect. Tonight, I was able to sign on, but it's taking 5-10 mins to load 1 page.

We are having a very nice time, and the weather was absolutely perfect today - but service issues remain throughout the ship. The crew is very friendly, but there are too many crew members who are not well informed or trained to acceptable levels. It seems most everywhere you turn, we are given inaccurate information, or spotty service. I'm sure it will straighten out shortly - but probably too late for us. Getting information about how to proceed on the turnaround day, was a real adventure. The meeting place was originally guest relations, then the cinema, then the theater, and finally, the cinema.

At one point, Guest Relations wasn't even aware that myself or my family were sailing back to back. The lowlight was getting luggage tags on night 2 of the first leg of our back to back, as if we were disembarking the ship yesterday ! I heard this happened to many other guests sailing back to back. I had to bring our issues to Guest Relations attention, before it was all straightened out. Another item which is somewhat annoying - Guest Relations is overwhelmed, and when you call them, the hold times are usually 20-30 minutes.

As for the turnaround itself, it probably was ok for most guests... but for those who required wheelchair assistance, like my mom, aunt and uncle, it was not handled well at all. We were one of the last groups off the ship, and were the very last guests to return to the ship. Again, a series of miscommunications between the onboard staff and the pier folks seemed to be the cause of our problems. Mom was very upset, and I can pretty much promise we will never do another back to back with Celebrity again.

There is some good news. The Miami DJ's have left the ship, and the entertainment is excellent. We are enjoying Jordan Peterson (Piano & Vocalist), along with the Ocean Band, & Guitarist Rob Ondras. Tonight's show "A Touch of Broadway" was also excellent.

Overall, the food has been excellent, but inconsistent. Tonight, 2 family members ordered the cobia - which was the same dish they had a few nights ago. The first time they had this dish, they loved it. Tonight, it was served very spicy and full of pepper, and they left it over. Something similar happpend with the Corn Soup a few nights ago, where it was spicy. Tonight, it was seasoned perfectly, and was wonderful. Go figure. The Filet Mignon and Rack of Lamb were again outstanding tonight.

I'd like to send kudos to Captains Club Hostess Elaine, who is new to the position, and is delightful. You would never know she was so new to the position, and that's a good thing. Also, the Zenith hostess, Lucy is very friendly and has a great personality. I'm sure the Zenith members must be enjoying her company.

The Cruise Critic meet and mingle is tomorrow morning, and we should have a huge turnout. I'm looking forward to it.

That's about it for now. Have a great President's Day everyone !

Edited by Host Andy

I guess after reading all these mixed comments about the condition of the Century it can be perceived as a bit negative towards Celebrity . Having said that as a few of us discussed early in the piece; we are sailing on her for the ports of call; the character and ambience of this graceful lady and especially the great fares!. How could you go wrong. I have been on liners 40 years old in the 70's and only remember good times.

The original ship we were going to book on; Volendaam I know has had; or is having a refurbishment this year but I know we will not regret the experience on the Century. Our verandah cabin was the same price as an outside stateroom on a much lower deck on the Volendaam

Bring on September 16th Cheers Norm

Andy's comments are spot on. Wonderful crew, but training and communication appear lacking in some vital areas. They also didn't know that I was B2B. Guest Relations didn't know that all B2B cruisers were required to register credit card. Went to the desk upon reboarding with a group and told that they didn't need to swipe credit card. Next day we all received a letter telling us to go to Guest Relations to have our cards swiped.

Elaine and Lucy are absolutely wonderful. Lucy is the right choice to make Michael's Club concept work.

The best thing so far was meeting Host Andy and his wonderful family. Glad to see so many posters on this cruise and be able to place a name with a face.

This is weird… I can't start a new thread from Century to Cruise Critic. I can upload a picture to Facebook, these photos of Celebrity Today but I can't start a separate thread with these scans???

CenturyF15_32.jpg

Host Andy

We are new to Celebrity and our first cruise will be on a three night Century March 3rd. Is there a formal night on a three nighter, we want to pack as light as possible.

There was a formal night on the 3 night right after drydock. So there should be one on the 3/3/14 3 night sailing.

Does anyone know which two nights will be formal nights?

Thank you!

On the current 8 night sailing the formal nights are on the second and sixth nights. I presume the next sailing will be the same.

Host Andy

We are new to Celebrity and our first cruise will be on a three night Century March 3rd. Is there a formal night on a three nighter, we want to pack as light as possible.

We had formal night, on the second night, on the Feb. 12th (3 night) cruise.

Edited by JLightning11

There was a formal night on the 3 night right after drydock. So there should be one on the 3/3/14 3 night sailing.

We had formal night, on the second night, on the Feb. 12th (3 night) cruise.

Thank you both

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Hi Everyone,

For some reason, I'm unable to start a New Thread, so I'm posting today's Century Press Relase here :

================================ ==================================

CELEBRITY CRUISES ANNOUNCES CELEBRITY CENTURY’S

FAREWELL 2014-2015 SEASON AND UNVEILS ‘CELEBRATION OF THE CENTURY’

Celebration to include President’s Cruise on Celebrity Century, new and special offers, and visits to record number of destinations worldwide

MIAMI– Feb. 13, 2014 – To celebrate the farewell season of Celebrity Century, the ship will host special events, including a newly introduced “President's 'Celebration of the Century' Cruise,” during a year featuring a record number of ports of call and 17 new cruise destinations for the brand. The farewell season will also feature exclusive onboard programming and special offers for guests. Celebrity Century will leave the fleet in April 2015.

Captain's Club loyalty members and vacationers can join Michael Bayley, President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises, on the President's Celebration of the Century Cruise in Asia. The 14-night sailing from Singapore on Celebrity Century will depart March 8, 2015, and guests will travel to magnificent destinations in Vietnam and the Philippines. Further special events and exclusive onboard programming will be announced shortly.

From March 2014 through April 2015, Celebrity Century will visit 77 ports across 32 countries, the most destinations worldwide of any other ship in the Celebrity fleet. New exotic destinations include Manila and Boracay, Philippines; Bandar Seri Begawan (Muara), Brunei; and Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar. Guests can take their pick from culture-rich experiences in Asia, Alaska, the Caribbean, Europe, the Middle East, the Pacific Coast and South Pacific.

Since its inaugural sailing in 1995, guests have enjoyed Celebrity Century’s spacious and beautifully-designed spaces, indulgent premium spa and award-winning dining experiences. Celebrity Century was the first ship to have the now hugely popular Martini Bar and Murano, the award-winning specialty restaurant.

Beginning today and available until April 30, 2014, guests booking any of Celebrity Century’s April 2014-2015 itineraries across the globe can receive up to $200 per stateroom in onboard credit to indulge in rejuvenating spa treatments, globally influenced dining, unique shore excursions and more. Celebrity’s Captain’s Club loyalty guests can choose between the onboard credit or an exclusive savings offer. And now through February 28, 2014 both offers are combinable with Celebrity's rich 123go! offer. For more information, vacationers can visit www.celebritycruises.com, call 1-800-647-2251 or contact their travel agent.

About Celebrity Cruises:

Celebrity Cruises’ iconic “X” is the mark of modern luxury, with its cool, contemporary design and warm spaces; dining experiences where the design of the venues is as important as the cuisine; and the amazing service that only Celebrity can provide, all created to provide an unmatchable experience for vacationers’ precious time. Celebrity Cruises' 11 ships offer modern luxury vacations visiting all seven continents. Celebrity also presents immersive cruisetour experiences in Alaska and Canada. Celebrity is one of six cruise brands operated by global cruise vacation company Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE, OSE: RCL). For more information, dial 1-800-437-3111, visit www.celebritycruises.com, or call your travel agent.

Too bad that cruises booked prior to the 13th can't take advantage of these offers

Codes

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1396139400,-8,ca_celebrity,cruising%20the%20Celebrity%20Century

Host Andy

I see you're not new to CruiseCritic, but in case you weren't sure, we do have a little Roll Call thread for the March 3rd three-nighter.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41708701#post41708701

I'm glad you asked about a formal night. I didn't think we'd be having one.

~Cruisenut~ said: This is weird… I can't start a new thread from Century to Cruise Critic. I can upload a picture to Facebook, these photos of Celebrity Today but I can't start a separate thread with these scans???

Thx for all your efforts! As you of course know, we love to be looking forward to the cruise, before we actually get there.

Edited by May B