Fair to not receive Crown & Anchor points?

RoyalC

Can't all guest in a cabin have a C&A Number? So if my daughter shares a cabin and I pay for all three on a 7 day cruise she would earn 7 C&A points...without paying a dime.

My kids have climbed the loyalty ladder and not paid a thin dime. :D

Dang it, if i'd have gotten credit for my Rhapsody of the Seas cruise I cancelled in 2004 at the late minute due to an emergency I'd be Emerald instead of crappy Platinum. What a rip! I want my gift basket!!! WAH!!!

Funny thing is, a lot of us cruise yearly or so and in the long run those measly few points that some of the posters are complaining about won't even matter.

So what do you think?

You pay in full for a cruise and are unable to go on the cruise

due to illness or injury. You must pay the 100% penalty because you are in the narrow cancellation window, should you at least receive your Crown & Anchor points for he sailing?

Seems to me if you pay in full, and have to cancel, you could at least get credit. It is not like they have to expend to wash your towels or feed you!

With cruise insurance, you will be reimbursed fully.

The agent had a free cruise from Royal Caribbean- perhaps from booking so many clients. She used those two free cruises and put my parents name on the cabin. My parents paid in full to the agency. After many phone calls to C & A, RCI finally said you did not receive credit because you did not pay for your cruise- but they did "sail."

. Every Ta we have used and every Ta our friends have used always pay the cruise line direct through the TA. The cc statement never has the Ta's name, always the cruise lines name. Have also done groups and the payment goes to the cruise line.

So why are you asking here? No one here sets the policy its not ours. Why don't you write to AG.You could use the format in post 1 in this thread. Let us know the answer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990021

Edited by setsail

So what do you think?

due to illness or injury. You must pay the 100% penalty because you are in the narrow cancellation window, should you at least receive your Crown & Anchor points for he sailing?

Seems to me if you pay in full, and have to cancel, you could at least get credit. It is not like they have to expend to wash your towels or feed you!

If that was the case, people could just buy membership which isn't fair either. Airlines do the same thing, if you miss you flight or cancel without reimbursement you don't get the miles.

Not exactly. Royal does not care who pays. Whoever cruises gets the points. However, they do have provisions in rules that specify which types of rates are eligible to earn points. Certain highly discounted rates don't quality for C&A points.

Where can I find out about "Certain highly discounted rates that don't qualify for C & A points"? This is extremely important to me, since I was one of those folks who happened to stumble on a highly discounted rate on New Years day and got it booked before RCL discovered the computer mistake.

Where can I find out about "Certain highly discounted rates that don't qualify for C & A points"? This is extremely important to me, since I was one of those folks who happened to stumble on a highly discounted rate on New Years day and got it booked before RCL discovered the computer mistake.

That was a price mistake, you should be fine. What's being referred to here are complementary fares, "pay only taxes" fares, travel agent rates (for when the travel agent travels, not when you book through a travel agent), Seminar at Sea rates (again for travel agents), Royal Caribbean employee rates, and cruises booked as part of certain affinity groups or chartered cruises.

Or you could argue that everyone pays and does not show up and RCI becomes the most profitable company in the world for doing nothing more than booking cruises/collecting money.

In what alternate universe do you live? In order to 'argue' a point, the point needs to at least be plausible. 1500 - 3000 people paying and not showing up? What - did the zombie apocalypse finally happen?

And then we wonder why when we have a real issue we can't get a reply to an email or get someone to answer the phone in less than 45 minutes.

Sometimes I love the info here on CC but at other times I do feel like people can't just read the rules and be thankful for the freebies they get. The overly entitled tones on many questions on the board are so petty.

I wonder why RCI are changing their booking rules (eg 3 and 4 occupancy not available for 2 to book) and their discount options? Actually I know why - it is because people are just pushing and pushing and whining like they have received nothing. RCI offers something and then there are hundreds of threads here about how they should - and I mean "SHOULD" be giving more, more and more.

Have a good look at what some of you think is funny. As a customer wanting to call RCI it frustrates me to think of the calls that are clogging up the system.

Can't all guest in a cabin have a C&A Number? So if my daughter shares a cabin and I pay for all three on a 7 day cruise she would earn 7 C&A points...without paying a dime.

But what if the sky were plaid and people breathed fire? :rolleyes:

The payment doesn't have to come from the person receiving the points. Just like with a couple that goes on a cruise, but only one spouse makes the actual payment. Both people get points even though, technically, only one of them 'paid'.

As long as a payment is rec'd AND a body shows up for that paid reservation, the points are awarded.

In what alternate universe do you live? In order to 'argue' a point, the point needs to at least be plausible. 1500 - 3000 people paying and not showing up? What - did the zombie apocalypse finally happen?

My dream cruise. To have most everyone not show up!!!:D

I think Rick does need to look for a cruise ship for next season!!:)

Using OP's original question, for those of you who paid for your children to cruise with you, why not let you select to get their points instead of having them applied to the children.

Why not simply sell the points like the airline does with frequent flyer points.

Hi, my name is Bob, I'm diamond plus and have never cruised.

Lets not just stop at changing one rule, lets make the loyalty program mean even less than it already does.

Edited by dadroy

Guys, the OP is not looking for clarification of the rules. Obviously the rules are the rules, but (s)he thinks the rule is a bit silly, and I tend to agree. It's unfortunate that you can't make the trip, but there's no real reason to not be awarded those points when you've just dropped $2000 or whatever for the trip. It's such a minor thing too - it's not like it costs RCI anything significant to give you 7 measely points.

If you purchase a First Class Non-refundable ticket to a destination that totals 10,000 air miles and costs $6000, but you have to cancel the flight due to injury or illness should you still be awarded those miles??? :eek:

RCI has an expense per passenger when they sail- food, gas, maintenance, insurance, cleaning, salaries, etc. Much of that is saved when someone cannot travel. I understand the "policy" but I think it makes the "Crown & Anchor loyalty program" sound like an oxymoron.

Here is a business secret I will share with you. A business makes money by taking in more than they spend on you. So that expense of having you as a guest is offset by your spending on board. The difference between what you spend and what it cost to have you there is profit. Anything they spend without you there has to be amortized amongst other guests (they need to spend more) or it is a realized loss for the line.

It's exactly the same reason they won't kick someone off for a prohibited item (that is not against the law). Whether it's sneaking alcohol onboard or little old granny with a travel iron, they will confiscate but allow you onboard because you are a revenue generator onboard, you are nothing if not onboard.

The agent had a free cruise from Royal Caribbean- perhaps from booking so many clients. She used those two free cruises and put my parents name on the cabin. My parents paid in full to the agency. After many phone calls to C & A, RCI finally said you did not receive credit because you did not pay for your cruise- but they did "sail."

The travel agent either

A: Screwed your folks

or

B: Disclosed to them that she could offer them some sort of abnormal deal at the loss of C&A points.

Even when people "win a cruise" from RCI what they will do is bill some nominal amount, even $1, because as long as money is put on the room with a name attached, whoevers name it is gets the points. Sounds to me like an unethical travel agent, not anything RCI did wrong.

Everyone should just book the cheapest 4 nighters on Majesty with insurance and not sail. Book it solo so you get double points. 10 of those and you are Diamond.

By the way, when I was a few points short of a tier level I called and asked if I could simply buy the points. They explained the various ways that could/would be manipulated. I understood, and, agreed with them. I booked the short cruise I needed for the points I wanted.

The travel agent either

A: Screwed your folks

or

B: Disclosed to them that she could offer them some sort of abnormal deal at the loss of C&A points.

Even when people "win a cruise" from RCI what they will do is bill some nominal amount, even $1, because as long as money is put on the room with a name attached, whoevers name it is gets the points. Sounds to me like an unethical travel agent, not anything RCI did wrong.

I'm thinking A myself. You only get the points if you pay for the cruise - apparently, in OP's parents' case, the TA took their money, pocketed it and then put them in the free cabin they had. Even if you get a free upgrade from, say, a balcony to a JS - you do not get the double points since you did not pay for the JS. Last weekend, I stayed in a hotel for which I have a loyalty account. However, since I got a special group rate for the group I was with, I did not get the loyalty points for my stay. That's the way the industry operates.

I'm thinking A myself. You only get the points if you pay for the cruise - apparently, in OP's parents' case, the TA took their money, pocketed it and then put them in the free cabin they had. Even if you get a free upgrade from, say, a balcony to a JS - you do not get the double points since you did not pay for the JS. Last weekend, I stayed in a hotel for which I have a loyalty account. However, since I got a special group rate for the group I was with, I did not get the loyalty points for my stay. That's the way the industry operates.

Wow, really? You didn't get your hotel points? I stayed at a Marriott branded hotel in Fort Lauderdale at a group rate booked for a trade show. We were able to make the reservation through the group and give our loyalty number at the time of booking and my points and 2 nights credit both showed up within days. I love Marriott for this reason.

The reason I love IHG (Holiday Inn) is because when you use points or free nights certificates for an unpaid stay, they still give you credit for the night. Marriott doesn't do that.

All hotel loyalty programs obviously aren't created equal.

Gina

I think from a PR standpoint it would smart for RCCL to award the Crown & Anchor points to someone who pays 100% of the cruise cost even though they are not going to be able to go on the cruise. It would seem to me a nice gesture to ease the pain of a person paying for a cruise they did not get to enjoy.

The way some of you have reacted it is as if it is some kind of scheme to cheat RCCL out of something. I doubt there are very many people out there who would book a cruise and not go just to earn C&A points. If so they have way too much time and money! If I pay 100% for a cruise I consider it "completed" by the way.

Edited by notladjr

So what do you think?

I understand the rules but I so get what you are saying. Several years back when IKE hit Texas we we supposed to be on the first cruise after. Because of all the damage my DH needed to be at work. We lost the cruise, had insurance that did us no good because our home wasn't damaged so no reimbursement AND didn't get any points.

Ahhh, what cha gonna do??:rolleyes:

My kids have climbed the loyalty ladder and not paid a thin dime. :D

I tell ya...those darn children. Always leeching off their parents. ;) think if I told them they could keep their loyalty points, they'd pay for themselves?

OP, your point makes sense in a perfect world. Or the zombie apocalypse, depending. But no, I don't think they should do it that way. Just like the airlines or hotels, you have to actually be there. In fact, this makes more sense to me in the case of a cruise as they assume some amount of onboard spending which is where the profit really comes from and they don't overbook like an airline does, either.