Is a jacket required on formal night?

AandBmom

On past cruises my husband typically wears dress pants with shirt and tie.

I read that RCCL has formal night, smart casual and casual.

Does he really need a jacket for formal night? Will most men be wearing a jacket? We're on Freedom if that makes a difference.

Does he really need a jacket for formal night? Will most men be wearing a jacket? We're on Freedom if that makes a difference.

Jacket not required, and the percentage wearing one will really depend on the date of the cruise and itinerary (longer cruises during school sessions will have a higher percentage of jacket-wearers, as it will be a slightly older clientele overall).

Do what feels comfortable for you. I personally go all out on the formal nights (tux/black bowtie), regardless of everyone else. If I stand out, all the better for me.

It is "suggested" but not requried just no shorts or Tshirts. As to the comment in a previous post regarding stopped bringing a jacket as it takes up too much room and nobody does it" is a tad wrong. We see a great deal of men in coats and ties, or even just the coat and no tie. My DH wears a tux and I wear a formal both nights, it makes for a "special" night.

Jackets are not required, I stoped bringing mind, takes up too much room and nobody else does it. I just wear my nice shirt and tie and dress pants and dress shoes and nobody seems to care..

It is "suggested" but not requried just no shorts or Tshirts. As to the comment in a previous post regarding stopped bringing a jacket as it takes up too much room and nobody does it" is a tad wrong. We see a great deal of men in coats and ties, or even just the coat and no tie. My DH wears a tux and I wear a formal both nights, it makes for a "special" night.

Yep. You'll be fine if you wish to go without, but to say "nobody else does it" is simply false, by quite a lot.

I have to agree. I, also, wear a tux and we enjoy the traditon very much. This is just speculation but I think when the industry decided to build bigger and bigger ships, the market changed and the industry pretty much changed the "Required" wear to "Suggested" and provided a lot of interpretation to the dress codes. You will see a variety of dress on these nights but so far most men do, at least, wear a jacket on RCCL and Princess. That has been my experience on those two. That said, most of us dress for ourselves, as you would, and will never give another thought to your choices, nor should we. Just be sure you have a wonderfull cruise.:)

Jackets are not required, I stoped bringing mind, takes up too much room and nobody else does it. I just wear my nice shirt and tie and dress pants and dress shoes and nobody seems to care..

what do you mean by: "no body else does it" We cruise a lot and always dress up. I also see at least 85% of the men with at least a jacket. how can 85% represent nobody. if only 1 man wears a jacket, there goes your nobody theory. what you are saying is that you don't wear a jacket. and to me that is fine, it is your vacation. but don't include me in your nobody list.

Two very untrue statements in your post. "Nobody else does it"? Really? We always have a table for 6-8 and have never had tablemates in anything other than a suit or tux on formal night. "Nobody seems to care." We'll, that just might be partially true in that people were likely far too polite to have actually commented. I was raised to not make someone feel uncomfortable about how they were dressed no matter how I really feel about it. DH can manage to pack a suit and a sports jacket along with everything else for a 7-9 day cruise in one 26" suitcase with no problem at all.

Since 2007 I have been on 7 RCI ships and booked on the Allure for May this year. I do see some dressing up formally on formal evenings, I have seen many men without a jacket and a good portion of men with a collared short sleeve shirt and dockers and then there are some that go in jeans.

Wear what you want and be comfortable, a cruise is what you want it to be. As for us, we haven't gotten dressed up in years, my honey wears a dress shirt and dress pants and I generally wear black pants and a nice blouse, but my other half right after dinner goes back into his shorts and tee shirt. Another reason why we stopped bringing formal wear is because we seen the decline in food quality and we dine in better places at home and feel there is no need to get all dressed up for that type of meal that is served, another reason is that airlines now weigh luggage and we see no reason to bring formal clothing that adds additional weight to our baggage.

Remember, a cruise is what you want it to be. I never feel out of place not wearing a gown and my other half a suit never less a tux.

what do you mean by: "no body else does it" We cruise a lot and always dress up. I also see at least 85% of the men with at least a jacket. how can 85% represent nobody. if only 1 man wears a jacket, there goes your nobody theory. what you are saying is that you don't wear a jacket. and to me that is fine, it is your vacation. but don't include me in your nobody list.

Wow...your percentages are much higher than our last experience (JOTS) last August. First formal night about 50% of men in suit or tux...second formal night, about 25-30% of men in suit or tux. Now the women were about 50% both formal nights.

What I thought was interesting was the 6 or 7 men who wore a very nice jacket, dress shirt, tie, dress shoes and socks and very nice shorts.

Trev, ignore the OMG you exaggerated, you're so wrong, I can't believe you said that brigade. Cut a man some slack, sheesh.

It does take up too much room in a case. I used to bring one but for me when I arrived at a bar or at the dinner table I would remove it or would be too hot.

Therefore very pointless for me.

Hopefully in my shoes, trousers, shirt & tie I did not ruin anyones cruise :) .

Get your husband to do what he feels comfortable doing. You paid for your cruise and if honestly anyone else really cares, more fool them :).

Edited by NathUK

Wow...your percentages are much higher than our last experience (JOTS) last August. First formal night about 50% of men in suit or tux...second formal night, about 25-30% of men in suit or tux. Now the women were about 50% both formal nights.

What I thought was interesting was the 6 or 7 men who wore a very nice jacket, dress shirt, tie, dress shoes and socks and very nice shorts.

you are cruising on way too many Carnival ships..

Yep. You'll be fine if you wish to go without, but to say "nobody else does it" is simply false, by quite a lot.

Should have said nobody else at my table ever did the last three cruises. :) my bad. That or Auto correct on my phone changed the word and I never proof read it .. Yes people do wear them. Easy on the attacks people

Edited by trev71
bad grammer

I am assuming this wasn't a Bermuda cruise... otherwise that would technically be considered "Bermuda Formal". NCL at least allows shorts (with knee socks) on their Bermuda sailings only in the MDR.

so would throwing on a sport coat be that big of a deal?

no he does NOT NEED a jacket.

about 3/4 of the men in the MDR will be wearing a jacket of some type.

Edited by Sherlock43031