Got a table for 2 but not sure if I want it!

Thank you all for your input. I loved reading what you all had to say. My husband just retired 3 weeks ago from 30 years in the Navy so I am trying to get use to him being home all day. The dog is extremely happy!

Tell him "Thank you" for his service! - Bob & Ann

We like My Time because of the flexibility it gives us. On a cruise, sometimes we're in the mood for a large table, sometimes for just a table for two. We usually get what we want on any given night.

If we request a large table and out tablemates are bad news - we don't have to sit with them the next night.

Tables for two tend to be lined up in a row with maybe a foot between each table. It's easy to visit with the folks at an adjacent table if we want to, but we're not obligated to. Best of all worlds.

• 2 years later...
We're sailing on March 8th on Granduer of the Seas. I am pretty sure when I made the reservation I requested a large table. I'm way more outgoing than my husband and I like to meet new people. Also after 32 years of eating with the same person I thought it would be nice to have other people to talk to at dinner. This is only our 3rd cruise. The 1st cruise we were seated with a nice elderly couple and their son who was around 40ish. The last cruise on Carnival we had 2 other couples at our table more our age and my husband really liked them especially when he found out one of the other men had a boat so they both had fishing in common. I was surprised when I recently called RC to ask a few questions and was told we have a table for 2. I'm trying to decide if we should keep it or give it up for a table of 6 or 8. I was thinking of seeing how it goes the first night and seeing if we can change it if we're lonely. I think one advantage would be faster service so we can get out when we're done and go to the shows. When I originally booked the cruise 2 years ago it was a 30th anniversary celebration. Had to postpone so now its anniversary and my husband just retired from 30 years in the Navy. I was wondering if they gave us the table for 2 because of our anniversary. Which do you prefer, table for 2 or a large table?

Thanks for opening my eyes, I read a lot of the comments and it has changed my opinion. I usually love to sit just my wife and I. This time my wife said it would be fun to hang out with other people. So we may try and do the group table for MTD.

On our previous cruises we have always sat at larger tables. In the beginning it was fun and we met a lot of nice people. The last three cruises we haven't had the best luck, we are hoping for a table for 2 for our next cruise.

We like a table for 6 or 8 as we like to meet new people. In all the cruises we have taken we have only had bad tablemates 1 or 2 times. We just learned to deal with and ignore the strange habits. We have made great friends that we are still in contact with and cruise with when we can.

I was fortunate that on my late wife and my last cruise together we had a table for two by the window. A fond memory. And a table for two with my current wife would be lovely, but she likes meeting people. So a table for 8 it will be.

Edited by flczr

I miss traditional dining with the table for 8. From my first cruise at age 18 until recently when cruising has veered away from traditional dining, I was lucky to meet great people who became our friends for the rest of the cruise and a couple of times beyond that. I always thought it was a great way to make fast friends that first night. But I love meeting new people. This cruise will be a table for 2. Not complaining but I'd love that big old table for 8. And yes I love DH lol

The wife and I had a 2 top with MTD on our last cruise. Because we liked our waiters so much we went about the same time and requested the same waiters every night we ate in the MDR. It might as well have been a table for 6 because the two couples next to us were there at the same time as well. Which by the way was great. They were pleasant people so we did talk, but still had that separate table thing going on which made the service easier than waiting for orders and meals for 6. Was the best of both worlds.

This is so subjective. DH and I rarely go out to dinner at home because it's expensive and because the vegetarian options aren't very good here and we enjoy my food more than anything we've had out.

So, going out to dinner on a cruise ship is a big treat for us and we prefer to dine alone.

I'm intrigued by the idea of sharing a table, but we rarely leave the ship and think we'd be bored and have little to contribute to the inevitable excursion discussions.

We're sailing on March 8th on Granduer of the Seas. I am pretty sure when I made the reservation I requested a large table. I'm way more outgoing than my husband and I like to meet new people. Also after 32 years of eating with the same person I thought it would be nice to have other people to talk to at dinner. This is only our 3rd cruise. The 1st cruise we were seated with a nice elderly couple and their son who was around 40ish. The last cruise on Carnival we had 2 other couples at our table more our age and my husband really liked them especially when he found out one of the other men had a boat so they both had fishing in common. I was surprised when I recently called RC to ask a few questions and was told we have a table for 2. I'm trying to decide if we should keep it or give it up for a table of 6 or 8. I was thinking of seeing how it goes the first night and seeing if we can change it if we're lonely. I think one advantage would be faster service so we can get out when we're done and go to the shows. When I originally booked the cruise 2 years ago it was a 30th anniversary celebration. Had to postpone so now its anniversary and my husband just retired from 30 years in the Navy. I was wondering if they gave us the table for 2 because of our anniversary. Which do you prefer, table for 2 or a large table?

I have not read through every response to your thread. So how did the March 2014 cruise go and what did you have as far as dining room mates or did you dine at a table for two? I see you are cruising again on Grandeur very soon, in October 2016, so what are you dining plans now?

We love to be at a table for 6-8. I love meeting people, and it is a good way to do it. I am outgoing and take the time on night one to introduce ourselves to the rest of the table, and viola everyone follows along, even if their is someone a little shy.

That works for us.

We just got off the Grandeur yesterday and we had a table for 2 at traditional late dining for the first time. We thought it would allow us to eat faster/at our own pace [ our last table was painfully slow] and not need to interact with other diners. We like company and I like getting to know my dinner partners--we just thought we would try this for a change.

Things I learned:

We had a table at the very front of the dining room against the wall. There are 10 2-tops in this location. [may be others in the MDR] Our waiter had 5 of these and a table for 3 nearby.

He served us as if we were all on the same table. Had to wait for the late arriving couple each night and those with multiple apps and entrees.

There is VERY little room between tables. You feel as if you are sitting with the people on both sides of you. However, you can choose to not interact and it would not be rude.

I found that by the 3rd night we were all interacting with one another [at least a little]--but, it was not as convenient as a bigger table.

Our next cruise is on the Harmony. We asked for late dining, but got MTD after they dropped DD. So, we decided to give it a try. :D

We will never again sit with strangers and unless we sail with friends and family will sit at a table for two. Have had negative experiences with large tables. Have sat with people who are conversation hogs, kids playing video games and those with very strong perfume which makes me nauseous.

A romantic table for two works best for us. We have meet nice compatible couples by the pool and we dined together at the specialty restaurants.

On Independence a couple of years ago, we had a table for two which was in a line of tables for two with a space of about 18 inches between each table. We found it perfect. We could ignore the people on either side if we wished (but obviously we greeted them and said goodnight). However, the couples on either side were the nicest we have encountered on any cruise! So we had the best of both worlds.

Edited by Sue's Mom

We just got off the Grandeur yesterday and we had a table for 2 at traditional late dining for the first time. We thought it would allow us to eat faster/at our own pace [ our last table was painfully slow] and not need to interact with other diners. We like company and I like getting to know my dinner partners--we just thought we would try this for a change.

Things I learned:

We had a table at the very front of the dining room against the wall. There are 10 2-tops in this location. [may be others in the MDR] Our waiter had 5 of these and a table for 3 nearby.

He served us as if we were all on the same table. Had to wait for the late arriving couple each night and those with multiple apps and entrees.

There is VERY little room between tables. You feel as if you are sitting with the people on both sides of you. However, you can choose to not interact and it would not be rude.

I found that by the 3rd night we were all interacting with one another [at least a little]--but, it was not as convenient as a bigger table.

Our next cruise is on the Harmony. We asked for late dining, but got MTD after they dropped DD. So, we decided to give it a try. :D

We always do early traditional in the MDR and always have a table for two. We have never experienced what you did concerning your wait staff. I would have advised them very politely we will not wait for others. We expect our courses to be brought out in a timely manner. Not our concern about late arrivals (which we hate no matter where or what) or special requests. If it happened again I would have talked to the Head Waiter. If they are taking orders for all surrounding tables (regardless of table size) at the same time we would expect all the orders to be brought out and served at the same time. That has always been our experience. Anyway sorry you had that misfortune. We've been very lucky as far as our tables locations also.

We like My Time because of the flexibility it gives us. On a cruise, sometimes we're in the mood for a large table, sometimes for just a table for two. We usually get what we want on any given night.

If we request a large table and out tablemates are bad news - we don't have to sit with them the next night.

Tables for two tend to be lined up in a row with maybe a foot between each table. It's easy to visit with the folks at an adjacent table if we want to, but we're not obligated to. Best of all worlds.

We had MTD last time, with a table for two. As you mentioned, it's easy to visit with the folks at an adjacent table. We chatted with the couple at the 2 top next to us during the first two evenings, and then they invited us to share a table- which we enjoyed for the rest of the week. He seemed to know the staff quite well, ever seen anyone order caramel apples on sticks?! :)

If I don't ask to be seated in a large table when I go to my local restaurant why would I even think about it when I'm at sea. I love my table for 2 at sea unless I'm traveling with my friends and family.

I have mostly had good experiences at a table for 6 or 8. One family was French Canadian and two only spoke French, but the other three spoke English, also. Dinner actually went quite well all week. Even the two who only spoke French managed to join in.

On out last cruise we were at a table for six. The two other couples and my husband and I had an easy going conversation on the first night. The second night, one of the couples did not come back because they were on a second honeymoon and wanted a table for two. Another couple took their place and the man wanted to talk U.S. politics. He was Canadian. My husband said nothing, I said next to nothing and the other man tried to reasonably discuss what the man brought up, to no avail. It was awkward. The Canadian couple did not come back on the third night. The remaining four of us had a easy going conversation the rest of the week.

I like being a larger tables, but would have run away from this one if this had happened another evening. This was our first bad experience at dinner and luckily it only lasted one night.

My husband and I prefer to have a table for two and usually always email the cruise ship a couple weeks prior to our cruise to request the table specifically. We do this because we enjoy this time to ourselves. We can eat at our own pace and not feel that we need to hang around until the entire table is done. We've also had experiences where we have been put at a larger table with people that just don't speak to anyone other than those in their party or you can't understand them. One time we even had a guy at our table who just carried on the entire conversation and wouldn't give anyone else time to speak.

Now, we just have it be our time. We socialize with people on the ship throughout the week either in the theater, or by the pool or in the buffet for breakfast or lunch.

If I don't ask to be seated in a large table when I go to my local restaurant why would I even think about it when I'm at sea. I love my table for 2 at sea unless I'm traveling with my friends and family.

The historical charm of cruising was having two options for dinner, Early or Late with the evening nightly entertainment wrapped around them to facilitate all passengers having an opportunity to see the nightly show. It was the way the 'cruise experience was packaged'. It set apart a cruise vacation from anything else.

To compare it to a night out at a restaurant is a faulty comparison.

I can eat at home alone with DH anytime. We can go to a restaurant for dinner alone any time.

We tremendously enjoy tablemates on a cruise, whether it is a short weekend getaway or for a week or more. It is fun to hear about other peoples excursions or activities that they enjoyed or things they have planned.

Our last few cruises we've had great luck with MTD and asking to join others who wanted to dine with others. We generally eat between 6-7, and they would seat us at a table of others who were looking for company.

Sometimes we were first, other times we were joining the table that had just been seated and were looking over the menus. I think there was only once that they were full and had to seat us separately.

The parties at each table were different from night to night but we did bump into some of the same groups through each cruise, so we got to meet even more folks than if we had done traditional with just a single table assigned for the week, and then kept seeing these new friends around the ship and on excursions, etc.