Alaska in September

Moriah

I just signed up for Oosterdam's last cruise of the season in September! Round trip Vancouver, leaving Sep. 21. Really excited. We got a good deal (probably because it's the last run and cooooold at that time of year)... so that's my question - has anyone experienced this? How cold is it going to be (I realize nobody has a crystal ball - just hoping for some personal experiences). I'm taking my 83 year old Mom. She's in great shape, but I want to be sure she is prepared for the cold so she can get the most out of it. Even if she just experiences the glaciers from our verandah - and the bow of the ship...

So, any personal experiences with the last Alaska run of the season - I'd love to hear about the weather and any other tips about Oosterdam. Last time I sailed on her was in 2007! So excited!

Thanks!

Long ago, 1990, we took the 9/2 cruise on RCI that was the last of the season. IT WAS COLD!! However, Alaska is so magnificent that if that's the time you can go just bundle up and enjoy. I also been up there when they were having a heat wave, nearly 90. That was worse than the cold.

Have a great trip.

I just signed up for Oosterdam's last cruise of the season in September! Round trip Vancouver, leaving Sep. 21. Really excited. We got a good deal (probably because it's the last run and cooooold at that time of year)... so that's my question - has anyone experienced this? How cold is it going to be (I realize nobody has a crystal ball - just hoping for some personal experiences). I'm taking my 83 year old Mom. She's in great shape, but I want to be sure she is prepared for the cold so she can get the most out of it. Even if she just experiences the glaciers from our verandah - and the bow of the ship...

So, any personal experiences with the last Alaska run of the season - I'd love to hear about the weather and any other tips about Oosterdam. Last time I sailed on her was in 2007! So excited!

Thanks!

It may not be as cold as you think. We were there this past September 6-12. We were not on HAL, though.

We visited Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria, BC. It was in the low seventies at all the stops. It normally rains in south east Alaska at that time of year; A LOT. We were lucky and had no rain on any of the stops. I think we had a little while at sea.

The only time we were cold was when we took a driving tour to the Yukon border, out of Skagway. We drove up through the mountains, parallel to the White Pass & Yukon RR. I'm not sure what altitude we reached but it was pretty high. At the Yukon border, it was probably in the forties or high thirties.

At the lower altitudes, we sweated, because we were over dressed.

There are couple of websites that show average temperatures at many cities around the globe. Google for one and check out the expected temp at your ports of call.

We were able to get fairly close to the glacier at the end of the Tracy Arm fjord. Amazing! It was cool that morning. A light jacket was plenty to stand on our balcony while cruising the fjord.

So, any personal experiences with the last Alaska run of the season - I'd love to hear about the weather and any other tips about Oosterdam.

Thanks!

We did the last cruise this past season on the Westerdam and as I recall we departed Seatlle around Sept. 23. Anyway, the weather was fairly mild and a bit of rain, but nothing significant nor enough to spoil our cruise. The only really cold day was Glacier Bay, but a medium weight jacket and gloves was enough, as we could get inside quickly to warm up.

The day we had in Juneau on our whale watching tour was great - light jacket. We had a bit of fog early on, but it quickly burnt off.

Given the MUCH cheaper fares and the great deals in the shops on land (and onboard), I would do this cruise again. We have done Sept 3 times (early, mid and late) and enjoyed them all. Just be prepared for rain and cooler temps and you will be fine. Again, we did not use our heavy winter gear at all.

Remember, you are doing an Inside passage cruise and will be in the area of Alaska that is more moderate temp wise than if you went all the way north to Anchorage.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

Yes, we are doing it this late because the difference in fare for the Neptune Suite (which I wanted to treat my Mom to) is so significant. Good tip about the socks! I agree! Living in Vermont (and Mom lives in Minnesota) we are no strangers to cold weather, so it should be fine. I just want to be really prepared. I LOVE hearing that others have gone this late in the season and had a great time!

Thank you!

When we did a last-of-the-season cruise-tour it was in the low 70's and beautiful in Fairbanks, and 2 days later in Denali it was a cold rain that turned to snow. The rest of the week was cold and damp as well.

We wouldn't go so late again.

Edited by jtl513

Thanks!

http://cruiseportinsider.com/ has average temperatures for each month in each port. It's a great resource!

I did an Alaska cruise mid-September so about a week before OP's. We had rain and wind almost every day. My advice is to bring water/wind resistant jacket and pants. Rain boots would also be a good investment if you are planning to walk around much in port. We had splurged and booked a balcony but rarely used it due to the wind and rain.

On the positive side, the bears were very active around Skagway so we saw plenty of them fishing for salmon.

Thanks!

You may have great weather, and, you may have what the last cruisers of the season experienced just a couple of years back. All of the cruise ships had to make a mad dash south, bypassing all of their ports (even Vancouver and Seattle). I saw some pictures that were posted by a HAL Captain that showed towering waves and hurricane-like winds. This is, certainly, not typical, but it can happen. Passengers that were supposed to disembark in Seattle or Vancouver, were finally disembarked in San Francisco. Those that were scheduled to embark in those cities for the 'Coastal' cruises had the option of a refund, or being flown to SF for the final portion of the cruise to San Diego. And just last year, some cruise ship Captains opted for to stay in port in Vancouver and Seattle following the final cruise of the season due to early storms.

Here's hoping fair winds and following seas for your upcoming Alaska cruise.

We did the last cruise of the Alaskan season on the Zuiderdam in 2012 - RT Vancouver. The weather was generally in the 50s - had no rain in Ketchikan for the first in memory for us. We were the last ship to visit Glacier Bay and Skagway which was fun - ship was "mooned" by the local young as we prepared to leave. However, that week a couple other ships could not get into Sitka due to an early Alaskan storm and they had very bumpy seas . We were on the inside passage so had no issues. So you never know what the weather might be. I think the last cruise is quite fun - the crew especially is happy to move on to warm weather season.

Winter in Alaska this year has been unseasonably warm, I have read.So I do wonder what the summer will be like.

I've been to Alaska twice in both May and September both first and last cruise of the season. I prefer the less crowded ports this time of year and the prices for the cruises are more affordable.

Weather will be hit and miss. We where in interior Alaska in mid-September on the last cruise tour of the season and the weather was perfect! low 70's light winds, abundant sunshine, hardly any insects and the Aspen tree's were all a bright beautiful golden color, the scenery was unforgettable knowing very shortly it was all going to change and the brutal Alaskan winter was just around the corner.

-Paul

Edited by kangforpres

Yes, we are doing it this late because the difference in fare for the Neptune Suite (which I wanted to treat my Mom to) is so significant. Good tip about the socks! I agree! Living in Vermont (and Mom lives in Minnesota) we are no strangers to cold weather, so it should be fine. I just want to be really prepared. I LOVE hearing that others have gone this late in the season and had a great time!

Thank you!

As another poster noted you will likely get Fall color. We too the all day Yukon shorex and it was beyond spectacular. Seeing you're from VT, I bet you'll love it.

( I got in a bit of hotwater when we returned and I mentioned to my Vermonter dad it was the most beautiful leaves I had seen....)

The down side is there is not much light during the times you travel from one port to another. So you don't see nearly as much of the inside passage.

Get your Mum up early on the Glacier Bay day and grab a front row lounger in the Observation Lounge. She will love it. Hot pea soup during the day. Yum.

Do you mean the Crow's Nest? Yes, that's a good suggestion if it's too cold for sitting on the balcony or going out to the bow. (I assume they do still allow us to go out on the bow for Glacier day?)

Do you mean the Crow's Nest? Yes, that's a good suggestion if it's too cold for sitting on the balcony or going out to the bow. (I assume they do still allow us to go out on the bow for Glacier day?)

Sorry my mistake. It been a while. Yes it is the Crow's Nest.

Edited by Stratheden

We usually go to Alaska in September. The first time we went was sometime in the early 1990's and it was so warm I thought we were going to get sunburned! Our seaplane flight over the Juneau icefield was clear,sunny, and one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen! It has never been that warm since...but we still go in the early fall because the ports are not so crowded. It rained last year, but not continuously. So you can get everything from sun to drizzle to rain to "pouring". The layering idea for clothes is a good suggestion.:)

I was on the last RT-Vancouver cruise last year on Statendam.

CONS: We had very cold weather and very HIGH seas! It was dark so early and really not much in the way of fall colors.

I missed the May season we previously cruised - where the days were much longer - it stayed light until after I went to bed, where the mountains were covered with snow, and the weather was dry and warmer.

Weather is luck of the draw really, but due to having more light in May I would highly recommend May rather than September.

Our second cruise ever was HAL Alaska roundtrip from Vancouver departing Sep 18.

The weather for the most part was probably better than it should have been. Generally, most days it was in the mid to upper 50s. Certainly not freezing, but not hot either. Our second night out (when we hit the ocean water, it was pretty rough (not for me, but the Captain announced "no high heels for dinner" and the outside doors were blocked so we couldn't go out on deck).

It got dark by about 6:00 (as in nighttime, not dusk or twilight).

It was cold on the Glacier Bay day (but I would expect it to be). We had a misty sort of rain on that day, also. As well as in Juneau.

All the shops in all the ports were having big sales (we were the last cruise ship of the season - any cruiseline), so we got great gifts for everyone. And the shops onboard also had sales.