So many elites, I pretended to be blue

Sitmar Lady

Hi there, Interesting thread...I'm a newbie at cruising - only 1 Mexico cruise under my belt. I'm booked for Ocean Princess in August 2014. I like the idea of a smaller ship, hoping for a relaxing, fun cruise and less time standing in the food line, etc. So Elites? I'm guessing it means seasoned cruisers who earned a lot of points? Snobby, Really? How funny...Sounds like mean girls in Junior high...not very impressing. Though, I am curious about the Elite perks.

I'm with you...who gives a rip? No real accomplishment there... I'm more impressed with warmth and human kindness. Vacations should be a positive experience. Who needs the negative environment....whiners go home I say! Leave the fun to those who appreciate it. I have worked for more than 30 years without a real vacation and I am looking forward to this experience. It may be my only chance, who knows? Yay...Happy Dance!!

I don't believe there is any 'easy' way to elite. The perks for being elite are not much if you only take 1 to 4 day cruises.

The purpose of the easy cruises is to reach elite as fast as possible (which could be five one-day cruises solo in a suite) and then enjoy the benefits on longer cruises.

My black card stays firmly in my pocket except for entering our stateroom, making a purchase or boarding and leaving the ship....but I often giggle at M&Gs or when speaking to other Elite members how they not knowing where you are in the program will go to great obvious pains to make sure that their black card which is hanging from their necks is facing outwards.;)

Right?! :) I'm a newly-minted elite, but have noticed the folks who go out of their way to let you know they're elites. :rolleyes:

So, I’m patiently standing in a line to get onto a tender when I can feel someone off of my right shoulder trying to get by me. I turn my head to see who it is and take a slight step to the right to block the person. The woman is holding up a black cruise card and with an annoyed look on her face she says “I’m elite, I get to go first”.

I hold up my black card and tell her, “that doesn’t mean anything to me and the line is behind me. “

I do believe those were death stares I was getting from her on the tender. :D

My guess is she is just as rude off the ship as she was on.

Wow! How entitled was she? Actually I have never understood this perk and have never used it. I tender when it's my turn. It may be a perk they have to rethink as the numbers of elites increase.

Wow! How entitled was she? Actually I have never understood this perk and have never used it. I tender when it's my turn. It may be a perk they have to rethink as the numbers of elites increase.

We had a person behind us in the tender line who demanded over and over that they remove people from the tender because she had a black card.....it was horrible to witness. All the time waving the card around.

But, we have seen a person tapping their card on the table in Vines saying in a demeaning voice...."Hello....Platinum here.....we need service". ....They said it three or four times. It was disgusting.

So, I’m patiently standing in a line to get onto a tender when I can feel someone off of my right shoulder trying to get by me. I turn my head to see who it is and take a slight step to the right to block the person. The woman is holding up a black cruise card and with an annoyed look on her face she says “I’m elite, I get to go first”.

I hold up my black card and tell her, “that doesn’t mean anything to me and the line is behind me. “

I do believe those were death stares I was getting from her on the tender. :D

My guess is she is just as rude off the ship as she was on.

Great move. I have had the same experience.

My black card stays firmly in my pocket except for entering our stateroom, making a purchase or boarding and leaving the ship....but I often giggle at M&Gs or when speaking to other Elite members how they not knowing where you are in the program will go to great obvious pains to make sure that their black card which is hanging from their necks is facing outwards.;)

Agreed, I always get a kick out of that :D

Hugh :cool:

Perhaps the title "Elite" should be changed. The terms Gold, Ruby, and Platinum do not suggest superiority over other cruisers. They just give more benefits. The word "Elite" denotes people of power, wealth and talent. None of these are requirements to achieve top benefits on the Princess loyalty program.:rolleyes:

Perhaps the title "Elite" should be changed. The terms Gold, Ruby, and Platinum do not suggest superiority over other cruisers. They just give more benefits. The word "Elite" denotes people of power, wealth and talent. None of these are requirements to achieve top benefits on the Princess loyalty program.:rolleyes:
How about Diamond instead of Elite?

We're about to reach Elite with our upcoming Ruby cruise. Being able to do a back-to-back in December on the Ruby helped us get there a little bit quicker. It's not quite the same as the ones who got there on one-night cruises on the West Coast.

The Elites who are rude were probably rude back when they were lowly Platinum passengers and even before then.

Right?! :) I'm a newly-minted elite, but have noticed the folks who go out of their way to let you know they're elites. :rolleyes:

I usually keep my card out of sight. I did take advantage of the Elite line at the Purser's desk and got a lot of grumbling from those in the other line.

In defense of those who wear the card on a lanyard, I for one wear clothes that many times do not have pockets. I don't pay attention to which way my card is hanging. I have put it inside my shirt and on so many occasions I have desensitized my card (too much static on my chest lol), and had to make the visit to the pursers desk. I just go up to them and say no it was not near a camera or a phone, just me, lol. I do agree about the rude people and I just don't understand how people feel that they are "entitled". On a side note does anyone know where I can purchase the plastic that you slip your card into and then put on a lanyard.

Have to smile at your CC name "Sitmar Lady." I guess this means you have "been around" for a while :). We also were big Sitmar fans and happened to be on the last Sitmar cruise of the Fairsky, which had its named changed to the Fair Princess right after our cruise. We really enjoyed the Italian crew on that line and were happy to see Princess continue the Sitmar tradition of having great hand-made pizza.

Hank

I took my first Sitmar cruise 40 years ago this summer. I loved the service and the food, but having to go the a small area to use curling irons wasn't too convenient.

We still run into former Sitmar employees from time to time, but most of them have retired by now. Francesco who was the beverage manager on deck on the Ruby a few years ago was my waiter in 1975.

We had a person behind us in the tender line who demanded over and over that they remove people from the tender because she had a black card.....it was horrible to witness. All the time waving the card around.

But, we have seen a person tapping their card on the table in Vines saying in a demeaning voice...."Hello....Platinum here.....we need service". ....They said it three or four times. It was disgusting.

I always think these people have very low self esteem and no self confidence. They think that being Elite somehow makes them special or "better" which is very sad. Nothing excuses their boorish behavior, and it only makes them look pathetic.

As I understand it, using your elite card for tenders just means you don't need a tender pass, but you still stand in line with those that do when boarding the tender.

Edited by gooch47