Volendam Memories

Vict0riann

Thanks, Rich. Now there'll be no stopping me!

I don't seem to have to have any photos of the Seaview pool, (must have spent most of my time at the bar!), but the Lido Pool was a very popular spot for day and night activities.

P1050850_zps4f58863f.jpg

P1050878_zpsa5344b15.jpg

The hamburger bar was popular at lunchtime, and for some of the evening do's it was used for the desserts.

P1050488_zps610f1d82.jpg

Edited by Vict0riann

We and DD had interconnecting rooms on the LP deck - 3309 and 3307, so plenty of space.

P1050589_zps39c111f9.jpg

And the best verandah of all:

P1050492_zpsdd285588.jpg

In case we forgot which ship we were on!

P1040795_zps2b95ea7d.jpg

Edited by Vict0riann

You take some really nice pics, Ann!

Here's one of VODM's Seaview pool during the Neptune Ceremony for the crew

HollandAmericaLineVolendamEquatorcrossing_zpsc2c9b608.jpg

HollandAmericaLineVolendamEquatorcrossing2_zpsf611f3be.jpg

The "thumbs up-thumbs down" board of VODM's senior officers. ;) The captain, center with sunglasses, is Captain Pieter Visser, since retired. To his right is then Chief Officer Wouter van Hoogdalem, since promoted to captain

Capt. JRD; Staff Capt. Nick Sunderland; HD James Deering; GRM Frances Tolentino; CD Bruce Allen Scudder pretty much a very experienced dream team!

I personally preferred it when Pieter Bos was Master of this Vessel. I personally preferred him to JRD. (Just my Opinion)

I boarded the Volendam on February 3rd in Hong Kong for the first half of this cruise -- 14 days through to Singapore. It was fabulous, and the Volendam herself is looking VERY good, indeed, even though it will be 15 years since her Christening this November 12th.

Here's a photo I took of her while she was at anchor in Halong Bay, Vietnam. I was on one of the last few tenders to return to the ship after a day-long trip to Hanoi.

volhbayviet1.jpg

Nice picture Greg Neal. I have not seen you post in quite some time and I am glad to see you are still healty and crusing.

Thanks, Copper. We also had a very good Security Officer, who looked after us well. When three passengers almost got left behind in Port Blair (I think the Captain would have left without them, they were so late, but the officials there would have had fits, I'm sure; three aliens on Indian soil without passports!), the Security Officer spent his time going back and forth from the ship to the terminal building searching. (When they did eventually appear, they got a rousing welcome back, you can be sure!)[/url]

We have a Volendam cruise early next year on our potential TO DO list, but hesitate due to Port Blair that requires an Indian passport. Since you mention it here, I was curious if there are any exceptions to this (similar to Russia, perhaps) where if you do a ship's tour, you are covered. I only ask as I understand it's a lot of paperwork to get the Indian visa when it's only needed for one port.

Any insights??

Thank you for DD cabin pictures. We have booked H3375 in Sept for our cruise LA to Sydney. I do have question, would be possible to turn the couch so it faces forward rather than as it is the picture? Also why the fan?

Copper10-8,

Thanks for posting the photos.

We immediately recognised Captain Visser, .......appreciated seeing his flag flying when he was in command.

We boarded the Volendam in Sydney the day he retired, watched him leaving the ship, then waving from outside the Opera House as we sailed by, lots of horn tooting!!:)

Copper10-8,

Thanks for posting the photos.

We immediately recognised Captain Visser, .......appreciated seeing his flag flying when he was in command.

We boarded the Volendam in Sydney the day he retired, watched him leaving the ship, then waving from outside the Opera House as we sailed by, lots of horn tooting!!:)

The official tri-color of the Royal Netherlands Navy Reserve. Captain Pieter Jan van Maurik still flies it off the stern of the HAL vessel he's commanding. He's the only one authorized after Captain Visser retired in 2011

RoyalNetherlandsNavyReserve_zps02f6e6e7.gif

I boarded the Volendam on February 3rd in Hong Kong for the first half of this cruise -- 14 days through to Singapore. It was fabulous, and the Volendam herself is looking VERY good, indeed, even though it will be 15 years since her Christening this November 12th.

Here's a photo I took of her while she was at anchor in Halong Bay, Vietnam. I was on one of the last few tenders to return to the ship after a day-long trip to Hanoi.

volhbayviet1.jpg

Great to see your post. When we first joined CC your informative postings and reviews were precious to us rookies.

We miss your advice, opinions and superb reviews.

Blessings.

Wonderful thread Ann and great photos! I love the Volendam and it was our first HAL ship. We were going to do the Kobe to Kobe later this month but it was chartered so I am taking DD to Australia instead. But I am sorry to miss the cruise and hope to do it with all 4 of us in the next few years.

I agree with your assessment of the atrium...I really don't know what they were thinking and it seems so out of place on the ship.

Thanks for posting!

Edited by 1of4

We have a Volendam cruise early next year on our potential TO DO list, but hesitate due to Port Blair that requires an Indian passport. Since you mention it here, I was curious if there are any exceptions to this (similar to Russia, perhaps) where if you do a ship's tour, you are covered. I only ask as I understand it's a lot of paperwork to get the Indian visa when it's only needed for one port.

Any insights??

Just noticed that you are from Canada, so your requirements may differ from ours here in the US!

Any insights??

Yes! Evidently things they are a-changing. :) There were people on board without visas. Evidently some Aussies went to their Indian Embassy and got letters from them to state that they did not need to obtain visas if they did not disembark in PB. That must have been a surprise to HAL, as they had been saying all along that we would need visas just to sail in Indian waters, even if the passenger definitely was not getting off the ship. So, I believe now that things are going to be relaxed visa-wise. It was also easier on the ship to clear Indian Customs and Immigration, originally we were told we would have face-to-passport meetings, individually, with officials and we had to fill out Customs forms in duplicate (with itemized details such as camera no., etc.) What a hassle, after all that rigmarole about getting the visa in the first place. They are also talking about visas on arrival now. PB was definitely an experience! I'd never do it again, but it was certainly interesting, and some people had a great day by taking tuk tuks to the other side of the island to a resort, rather than wandering in town. Our HAL shore excursion to Ross Island was cancelled, evidently because a ferry had sunk with loss of life, and the port agent had advised against using the local boats for the tour. I believe some people went there privately, but we were dumb and just wandered in the town and then went back to the ship.

Actually, on his survey, my DH suggested that instead of Port Blair, the cruise spend two days in Langkawi instead!

Edited by Vict0riann

Thank you for DD cabin pictures. We have booked H3375 in Sept for our cruise LA to Sydney. I do have question, would be possible to turn the couch so it faces forward rather than as it is the picture? Also why the fan?

When we entered the room the sofa was against the wall with the door - also there was an easy chair. We turned the sofas in both rooms so we could open the connecting door, and moved the chair next door into DD's room, as we felt our room was crowded. We had ordered a fridge and fans for both rooms, as I was a bit concerned about temperatures in the heat. (We also had to get a power bar from the Front Office to plug everything into!) As it turned out, I didn't need it too often, but sometimes the room got stuffy, and it was nice to get the air moving. DD used it all the time as white noise when she slept. (At the front of the ship occasionally we heard noise from the Franz Hals Lounge (theatre) or the anchor.)

Hope this helps.

The Explorations "cafe" was conveniently located, with lots of seating around, but always seemed to be short-staffed, so there was a long wait for the specialty coffees. I'm hoping it will be better in October on the Maasdam, as we will have "Explore4", and plan on a coffee there every morning!

P1050866_zps6e760ef8.jpg

I had intended spending a lot of time here. Famous last words! I blame it on a very port-intensive cruise!

P1050851_zps0cca7878.jpg

Edited by Vict0riann

Great to see your post. When we first joined CC your informative postings and reviews were precious to us rookies.

We miss your advice, opinions and superb reviews.

Blessings.

Thank you so much for your very kind remarks.

I used to post on CC all the time, however over the past several years my life has become so busy that I don't have much time to read, keep up, and compose posts. That and, quite frankly, I'd grown exceedingly tired of spats of nastiness that would occasionally take over so many of the conversations and some of the personalities here. :(

Again, thanks for the kind remarks.

The Explorations "cafe" was conveniently located, with lots of seating around, but always seemed to be short-staffed, so there was a long wait for the specialty coffees. I'm hoping it will be better in October on the Maasdam, as we will have "Explore4", and plan on a coffee there every morning!

There's usually only one member of the Beverage Dept. assigned to work the Explorations Café so, if there's a long line in front of you, there can be a bit of a wait

We enjoyed the Pinnacle three times on this cruise - once for the regular dinner (old menu), once for the Premium Wine Tasting, and once for the Sommelier's Dinner and wine pairing. We really liked the room and the way it was decorated, even though there were no windows. The food was good, and the waits between course not too long. My one great disappointment was that, in the Sommelier's Dinner, the menu said "passion fruit sorbet" and when it was served it was plain old orange sherbet!:( Boo! I suppose that is rather minor in the grand scheme of things....

P1050868_zps7b9de331.jpg

P1040801_zps4f08f0af.jpg

P1040805_zps4912a8e2.jpg

Edited by Vict0riann