Packing a suit: check it? carry on? fold in suitcase?

Spiralshell

What's the best way to manage packing a suit?

• Get a sturdy garment bag, add suit, check with luggage
  • Get any old garment bag, add suit, and carry it onboard
  • Fold it up carefully following nifty youtube video and put in suitcase

My husband wants to go spend $$ on a new garment bag to get his suit onboard via checked luggage. I say we carry it on or fold it up and put it in the luggage. (And spend the money we saved on the fancy garment bag on drinks!)

Recommendations please?

thank you!

We carry them on using the bags that they come in from the suit shop :) Very lightweight and they arrive in perfect condition.

If you mean carry it on the ship, that seems the best.

If you are flying, that is different.

OP, the ships all have pressing service. You can send it out to be pressed if necessary.

I simply fold mine in half and put it on top in the suitcase. As soon as the bags come to the room I hang it up. Never had a problem with wrinkles. Keep in mind, I virtually never wear a suit so I buy decent looking CHEAP suits.

Thanks for your comments!!

I'm really going to try to get my husband to pack it in the suitcase and then hang it up asap when we get our luggage.

It really does seem easier than carrying it onboard on the hanger especially while dealing with 2 small kids. :D

If you need to, the ship will press the suit for a nominal fee....but we've never needed to do that. All formalwear is put in dry-cleaning bags, folded just enough to get it in the suitcase...and hung up as soon as possible. Never had a problem with wrinkles!

My husband wants to go spend $$ on a new garment bag to get his suit onboard via checked luggage. I say we carry it on or fold it up and put it in the luggage. (And spend the money we saved on the fancy garment bag on drinks!)

Recommendations please?

thank you!

Fold it with tissue paper. If you have dry cleaning bags, use those.

Recommendations please?

thank you!

Just pack it.....get it pressed Onboard!

I simply fold mine in half and put it on top in the suitcase. As soon as the bags come to the room I hang it up. Never had a problem with wrinkles. Keep in mind, I virtually never wear a suit so I buy decent looking CHEAP suits.

This is what DH does. Our suitcases have a flap on one side that the suit goes into. Never had a problem with wrinkles.

Fold in suitcase and then hang in shower room with shower on hot for 30 mins. (far away from shower as possible...we used the vanity rails and draped the garment over the dry sink)

When on land or sea we always does this with various garments and works a charm. Not recommended for silk/satin.

Edited by Velvetwater

Fold in suitcase and then hang in shower room with shower on hot for 30 mins. (far away from shower as possible...we used the vanity rails and draped the garment over the dry sink)

When on land or sea we always does this with various garments and works a charm. Not recommended for silk/satin.

Hey folks,

Would you do this at home, seems like a waste of energy. Why not pay the small amount and have the garment pressed by ship personnel.

This is how I packed DH's tuxedo and accessories for a trip to Japan to attend our son's wedding. It went in his carry-on, because if our luggage was delayed, the chances of finding another tux to fit on short notice was slim. I also used this method to pack my formal dress for the same reason, and it went into my carry-on. It works like a charm - when you get onboard, hang your clothing in the bathroom while you shower for about 5 - 10 minutes. Voila, no wrinkles!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I've found this works best. The suit (or tux) comes out with no wrinkles or creases. The first item to go into the suitcase is the jacket. Lay it into the suit case with the sleeves hanging over the sides of the suitcase. Put in the pants (and other pairs going the opposite way) but with the legs also hanging over the sides of the suitcase. Put in all of the other smaller folded items. IE: ****s, shorts, underwear etc etc. Fold over the top of all of this the jacket sleeves and pants legs. Close the suitcase and prepare for departure. I saw this done on some travel video a couple of years ago and have been doing it whenever traveling and having to take a suit, tux or sports jacket.

Hey folks,

Would you do this at home, seems like a waste of energy. Why not pay the small amount and have the garment pressed by ship personnel.

Erm you hang it like you would in a wardrobe and turn the shower on...hardly the effort unless you were super lazy. We did this while we unpacked and sorted our cabin out....then put it in the wardrobe.

Edited by Velvetwater

Erm you hang it like you would in a wardrobe and turn the shower on...hardly the effort unless you were super lazy. We did this while we unpacked and sorted our cabin out....then put it in the wardrobe.

I have even done the shower thing at home for my DH's shirts because I hate to iron.

Laura

I pack DH's suit on a hanger inside the plastic bag it came in. I hang a couple of ties over the slacks. This goes into the suitcase (25 incher) first with the bottom hanging out. Other hanging clothes (in plastic cleaner bags) go in next. Then I put packing cubes with misc and underwear and tees. I fold the ends over the cubes. Top with the extra jeans or pants. Secure with the 'straps'. The only problems I have had are creases in his dress shirts if I am not really careful in placing them in the suitcase. I do 2 shirts to a hanger / plastic bag. If the crease will show I use downey wrinkle release.