Interesting comment from the Annual Report

AKman2495

I agree with Ethel...you don't have anything to worry about. Princess is not trying to sell to a new demographic...it is trying to sell to our demographic..psychographically......

Maybe this could be a new offering at the spa: Get your own personal Psychograph and learn how it affects your life!

My take on the commercials is not so much the semi-retired crowd as it is the couple where both work long hours, endlessly, and need to get away and truly relax. Not be hammered with loud, late and unruly situations onboard. Hence the campaign to 'come back new'.

Maybe Princess has been reading the Celebrity forum on CC, where there are lots of complaints about loud music throughout the ship. Or do you think they are painting a picture of Carnival? Either way, I hope Princess stays the way it is!

Keep in mind that the focus is on psychographic, not demographic values.

With this focus, the cruise line is personality, values, attitudes, interests, and lifestyles.

It is NOT age related, like some are perceiving the commercials. We should like this, especially if we prefer to think and act younger on cruises than in ordinary life.

Keep in mind that the focus is on psychographic, not demographic values.

With this focus, the cruise line is personality, values, attitudes, interests, and lifestyles.

It is NOT age related, like some are perceiving the commercials. We should like this, especially if we prefer to think and act younger on cruises than in ordinary life.

Actually, it is more than that because it is defined as the " psychographics of the guests they source", i.e, the psychographics of the demographic of Princess, Carnival etc.

Demographic here does not refer to age, but to a population of Princess (or any other line's passengers).

So it is not the personality, values, attitudes, interests, and lifestyles of just anybody, but of the population that they seek to capture.

This is the commercial that they should be playing:
I think it says it all.

When I saw that on the Princess site I thought it was great and it said it all. I realize that it was too long to air but I'm sure they could cut it into segments short enough for a TV ad.

I agree with Ethel...you don't have anything to worry about. Princess is not trying to sell to a new demographic...it is trying to sell to our demographic..psychographically......

Yes but what happens when the Princess CEO realises that Carnivals psychographical demographic produces higher profit margins than his?;)

Edited by terrierjohn

Yes but what happens when the Princess CEO realises that Carnivals psychographical demographic produces higher profit margins than his?;)

Ah, that is the problem of having multiple lines in one company-mining passengers from one of the lines within the company to another of the lines within the company. That produces an increase in one company and a lower income for another, but actually does little to build the company as a whole.

That is the problem that Carnival is trying to avoid with this strategy. Expand all lines by attracting new cruisers to all of its lines, while retaining the unique customer base per line. That is what then mean by further each line distinctively.

Your point is that each line will drift towards the one psychographics demographic that is most profitable.

As far as I can tell, Carnival's goal is to keep that from happening by maintaining and further defining each line as an individual that has its own psychographic demographic.

Well see how that goes......

Though the next sentence in interesting: " Going

forward, we plan to change the focus of our efforts to take advantage of our scale"

I interpret this to mean that they are going to consolidate on purchasing, etc... For example, the new balcony furniture introduced 2 years ago on Princess looks identical to what Carnival has on their ships, etc...

I would interpret that to mean, we're big enough to focus each line on a different market segment.

For example, they could be segmenting on income levels with increasing income as you move from Carnival, to Princess, to Holland. Notice I said could be.

Focusing on a segment allows you to appeal to a specific group and enhance their cruising experience rather than trying to be all things to all customers.

................................SNIP.....................

Focusing on a segment allows you to appeal to a specific group and enhance their cruising experience rather than trying to be all things to all customers.

This is where Princess has always failed! They haven't found their niche and they try to be all things to all people and they fail miserably. A perfect example is the dress "code" for lack of a better term. They want to entice the Carnival segment to move on up to a richer experience, but that segment wants to keep wearing shorts and T-shirts at dinner. The Princess segment wants things as they are-dress for dinner. Princess doesn't enforce their own printed guidelines and the loyalists are not happy. Schizophrenia pleases no one.

The commercials seem to indicate that the psychographic that Princess is going for are those that like things really, really quiet and whose idea of excitement is choosing a new wine. I'm not sure how many people are in that psychographic.

Reading between the lines, it appears that the customer service departments of each line will be kept separate, but other departments may be consolidated.

Right... the commercial with the father holding his young daughter targets old people.. :rolleyes: :)

This is the commercial that they should be playing:

I think it says it all.

What happened to this?

It's head and tails better than those awful new ones that they're actually using.

We love Princess and those new commercials would drive us running away if I didn't know better! :(

I like what I interpret the message to say.

I think Celebrity is currently trying to be all things to all people and I think Princess is smart enough to know that doesn't work.

The commercials seem to indicate that the psychographic that Princess is going for are those that like things really, really quiet and whose idea of excitement is choosing a new wine. I'm not sure how many people are in that psychographic.

Works for me. Commercials with waterslides, rock walls, and ice rinks send me right back to Princess:)

Edited by Musky Ike

Works for me. Commercials with waterslides, rock walls, and ice rinks send me right back to Princess:)

Be that as it may. Those commercials represents those cruise lines and advertises the experience you get on those lines. The Princess commercials fall short in doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be that as it may. Those commercials represents those cruise lines and advertises the experience you get on those lines. The Princess commercials fall short in doing the same.

Exactly!

What happened to this?

It's head and tails better than those awful new ones that they're actually using.

We love Princess and those new commercials would drive us running away if I didn't know better! :(

I like what I interpret the message to say.

I think Celebrity is currently trying to be all things to all people and I think Princess is smart enough to know that doesn't work.

Do you think we seeing the influence of the new CEO? She's been in place long enough to start making changes.

Princess doesn't have an amusement park onboard. While one brand advertises to kids and high action,Princess ads appeal to those who want a serene, classy experience.. :D

We have lived and worked in various parts of the country. We have found that there are significant differences in attitudes, dress, etc. between east, west, plains/foothills etc.

As for the marketing bumph...it goes straight to one of two places. Delete or directly to the re-cycle bin. It is wasted on us. We prefer Celebrity or Princess now but our choices are always made on the basis of itinerary, ship, price, cruise line. HAL used to be in the top three however their smoking policy has put us off hence they are now bunched with the others. We just cannot imagine limiting ourselves to cruising on one cruise line exclusively.

We are in our early sixties. We have had wonderful cruises on Princess, Celebrity, NCL, Crystal, HAL, Carnival, RCI....in fact we have never had a bad cruise.

I think that some of the preconceived ideas about specific cruise lines tend to limit people. We find larger differences between the length, date of cruise, ship, and itinerary.

Notentirelynormal-sorry for the late response, I have been away. Manifests for ships/aircraft are part of my government job, and some statistics just jump out at you, and place of residence is one of them.

Notentirelynormal-sorry for the late response, I have been away. Manifests for ships/aircraft are part of my government job, and some statistics just jump out at you, and place of residence is one of them.

I think what many people are asking: did you happen to actually see these statistics someplace...or is this just based on your intuition or even just checking out the Cruise Critic boards? If it's the last, you have to remember that those posting on CC and on the roll calls are just a small percentage of those who go on cruises. (don't even point to the number of CC members as I would hazard to guess, based on my intuition;), many have posted once or twice -- or just lurked, and then aren't heard from again)

As others have said our requirements are Cruise Destinations, and The Ship that does it when we want it. We have flown from the East Coast to Seattle 3 times for Alaska, 2 times to Canada for New England, once to Spain for the Eastern Med (which we loved more than any of the rest so far), and Florida for all over the Carribean. We have a Cruise Savings program and have been spoiled rotten on every cruise including getting there. You just need to get lined up with your priorities and how to implement them. There are many ways to get this done and all are good. Me I also watch everything mostly about Princess here on CC.