Royal announces new dining concepts

dkjretired

Five of the 18 are complimentary. WOW! That sounds like it will work out. :rolleyes:

There are actually 6 more casual type places that are complimentary as well... Sorrento, Cafe Promenade, Windjammer etc. And of the other 5, what's not to work out? Right now the only "nice" place to eat dinner that is comp. is the MDR.

Sounds interessting- so some people ( who dine in " the Grand" ) are dressed to the nines and others are casually dressed- oh well maybe the stick to their dress codes. Did I get it right and there will be longer a real MDR on board Anthem and Quantum?

Correct.

Edited by waterbug123

Sounds like Freestyle Cruising OH wait NCL already does that :D Would they eliminate formal nights? Only four included restaurants? That's a deal breaker for me, I like to know my time and table will be ready every night as in traditional dining.

Pick a restaurant and make a standing reservation. If that doesn't work and this is a deal breaker for you, well, every ship isn't for everyone.

I like the idea of booking our dining months in advance (planning is half the fun). :) How about every other night in the Formal Dining Room? Sounds great to me. We always have a table for two, so we meet people in other venues, but savor our time together during meals.

And yes, everyone must pre-pay gratuities.

Interesting to see if they can pull this off. In the past, we have not been big fans of Royal Caribbean cuisine, but I must say, our cruise on the Allure surprised us with much improved food in all areas except the buffet.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Maybe... just MAYBE... the fashion police will FINALLY be satisfied. :rolleyes:

...wavy picture indicating that dream sequence has ended... :p

I'm sorry... what WAS I thinking???? :eek: :D ;)

It should be interesting to see just how popular the new formal night every night restaurant turns out to be, especially the first and last nights of the cruise.

I LOVE the direction that RCI is moving to when it comes to dining. I detest the MDR. It's a dinosaur that needs to go away along with forced seating times and pre-selected seating arrangements.

There are plenty of options to choose from that will not cost the guest any extra money. Those four standard non fee dining rooms will be rather large. Of course there are some that will complain no matter what. It's rather simple. Decide where you would like to dine each evening and make a reservation on line. It would be no different than having a standing set time as in the past.

The new menus look very nice. Some really great options. Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurant looks great.

I am not sure that this will work. Those Royal ships are huge. Just finding your way to all of those restaurants could be tough.....especially for older folks. Will the menus change? I like the MDR concept. Just took a 14 night cruise on the Eclipse. I ate in the MDR every night. 14 different, very nice menus. Fabulous food, great waiter, and interesting selections. I did select dining. Met some very nice people early in the cruise ...and ate dinner with them every night. Reserved a table for our group in select for the entire cruise. Love that concept. On other cruises, I have dined at specialty restaurants....nice, but pricey...and menus do not change. With this new system, more restaurants are included that have an surcharge. Is this just a way for Royal to make money? If only 5 restaurants are no fee, and if the menu is set, that will be very dull for people who do not want to spend extra for food. It sounds like a scheme to cut costs for Royal....or increase revenue. I sure hope that Celebrity does not follow.

I find the whole concept very intriguing; however, I would be interested to know just how much the cover charge is for all of these different venues. I've never sailed on Royal Caribbean, but right or wrong, I've always considered it to be a step below Celebrity, at least for staff to passenger ratios (the website I used for those numbers is no longer listing the crew complement for each ship, so I'm not sure anymore).

The base prices for Quantum are quite a bit higher than Celebrity's; add dining charges and you're getting into a pretty pricey experience. I'll be curious to hear the verdict from someone who sails both Quantum and an S-class ship.

I really like the concept RCI is introducing on their new builds; would like to see Celebrity do something similar on their next class of ships. Love the variety; I enjoyed on Allure dining in a different restaurant six of seven nights for dinner. I enjoyed the MDR experience on my first few cruises, but now personally feel it is played out. Too much like a massive banquet hall with mediocre mass produced, pre-plated food and overworked staff.

I am not sure that this will work. Those Royal ships are huge. Just finding your way to all of those restaurants could be tough.....especially for older folks.

The debuted new directional signs on Oasis and Allure, which I believe are finding their way to other ships as they get renovated. You also get a map at embarkation, the elevators tell you what floor everything is on.... surely it can't be that difficult to find a particular venue! And you can always ask. Lots of new things, lots of things in different places, not just restaurants.

Will the menus change? I like the MDR concept. Just took a 14 night cruise on the Eclipse. I ate in the MDR every night. 14 different, very nice menus.

Probably not, but there will be multiple selections at each one. Thus, I would imagine you could go on a 14 night cruise and find something different to try every night.

Fabulous food, great waiter, and interesting selections. I did select dining. Met some very nice people early in the cruise ...and ate dinner with them every night. Reserved a table for our group in select for the entire cruise. Love that concept.

So, ask to be seated with others when you dine. Then if you hit it off, you can make a reservation together for the next night and so on. Nothing really different there.

On other cruises, I have dined at specialty restaurants....nice, but pricey...and menus do not change.

Unless you eat 4 or 5 entrees every night, you can still have varied cuisine throughout your cruise, so this complaint really makes absolutely no sense.

With this new system, more restaurants are included that have an surcharge. Is this just a way for Royal to make money? If only 5 restaurants are no fee, and if the menu is set, that will be very dull for people who do not want to spend extra for food.

And there are more included options as well. Is it to make money? Of course! Royal is a for profit company, not a non-profit. In the past there was ONE restaurant, the MDR. The menu changed. Now you have set menus but at 5 different restaurants.... plenty of choices.

It sounds like a scheme to cut costs for Royal....or increase revenue. I sure hope that Celebrity does not follow.

A scheme? ROFL. You make it sound like it's some kind of secret that cruise lines want to make money.

I find the whole concept very intriguing; however, I would be interested to know just how much the cover charge is for all of these different venues. I've never sailed on Royal Caribbean, but right or wrong, I've always considered it to be a step below Celebrity,.

I've sailed on both and overall you'll find that they are far more similar than different. Both are mass market cruise lines offering very similar experiences. You want upscale? Head to a truly upscale line, like Crystal or Seabourn or Regent.

As for prices, they haven't announced prices for the new restaurants, but places like Chops that have been around for a while are generally $35-45, pretty much the same as Celebrity specialties.

He’s shaken up school meals, helped jobless youngsters and even taken on the American diet – now Jamie Oliver is heading to sea to set up his first restaurant on a cruise ship.

Well, I certainly don't want school dinner menus!!:rolleyes:

It looks 'American Diner' to me, with some bench seats and others look uncomfortable.

Certainly not 'Modern Luxury'

I imagine that all venues will have to be pre booked. Imagine roaming the ship, trying to find a venue to eat in!

Their website lists most of the added fee dining venues as 2 stars (check out the website).

Chops, Chef's Table, Elegant every night are **** stars. I might have missed some.

Question? Can you order more than one entree? I doubt it.

It still is a ship I will definitely try just for the dining experience. Where can you go to a top notch restaurant and pay $100 or so for dinner.

Where can you go to a top notch restaurant and pay $100 or so for dinner.

Definitely not on a cruise ship. Some of the specialty restaurants are quite nice, but none approach "top notch."

I find the whole concept very intriguing; however, I would be interested to know just how much the cover charge is for all of these different venues. I've never sailed on Royal Caribbean, but right or wrong, I've always considered it to be a step below Celebrity, at least for staff to passenger ratios (the website I used for those numbers is no longer listing the crew complement for each ship, so I'm not sure anymore).

The base prices for Quantum are quite a bit higher than Celebrity's; add dining charges and you're getting into a pretty pricey experience. I'll be curious to hear the verdict from someone who sails both Quantum and an S-class ship.

Depends on what you're looking for. Have cruised both lines. In some respects X is a little better than RCI IMHO. Mainly in the food department but it's not that drastic. I found that the service is about the same. Both have very friendly crews.

RCI's entertainment seems to be better. Especially on the Oasis class ships. Nothing can compare. Staterooms are about the same size. X has better suite perks but you pay for those compared to RCI.

I look as X as the RCI for adults. More alike than different. As stated above, both are mass market cruise lines. X just happens to cater to familes less than RCI does.

Edited by cruisingator2

I think all the food options are great. It will all depend on execution. Celebrity's MDR is currently too big, too noisy, and the quality of service varies greatly. So anything that reduces the size of the MDR will be welcome if the dining rooms are staffed appropriately. And it would be nice if the waitstaff would be trained properly again. Having an assistant waiter ask me to re-use a fork on my last cruise was a bit much.

The one thing I don't see many comments on is their alleged "state of the art" reservation system. Really? I don't know how RCI's website is currently, but Celebrity's is pretty much non functional. Same parent company.

The poster who suggested they use Open Table's booking engine and just adapt it to their restaurants was spot on.

Think it's a fabulous idea to have one restaurant which is formal all the time. Have the rest be smart casual. Woo hoo! No more dress code threads! Those who want to get dressed up can. Those who don't will not have to.

I think all the food options are great. It will all depend on execution. Celebrity's MDR is currently too big, too noisy, and the quality of service varies greatly. So anything that reduces the size of the MDR will be welcome if the dining rooms are staffed appropriately. And it would be nice if the waitstaff would be trained properly again. Having an assistant waiter ask me to re-use a fork on my last cruise was a bit much.

The one thing I don't see many comments on is their alleged "state of the art" reservation system. Really? I don't know how RCI's website is currently, but Celebrity's is pretty much non functional. Same parent company.

The poster who suggested they use Open Table's booking engine and just adapt it to their restaurants was spot on.

Think it's a fabulous idea to have one restaurant which is formal all the time. Have the rest be smart casual. Woo hoo! No more dress code threads! Those who want to get dressed up can. Those who don't will not have to.

Overall the reservation system used for scheduling entertainment and specialty dining worked very well on the Oasis class. I'm sure we will hear grumblings from those that will not be able to eat at the desired times like the 7:00 spot due to reservations being full. Just one area that will need to be worked around.

Their website lists most of the added fee dining venues as 2 stars (check out the website).

Chops, Chef's Table, Elegant every night are **** stars. I might have missed some.

Question? Can you order more than one entree? I doubt it.

They don't currently restrict you from ordering more than one entree. You can order two in both the MDR and the specialties. Can't see why that would change.

I would be interested in the actual number of seats available across all restaurants and the number in the free restaurants to work out a percentage of free versus paid. I can envisage wait times for the free ones that at times could be excessive.

In the UK we dont have any access to NCL cruises leaving from the UK and in general British cruisers are a bit more traditional. Both in terms of enjoying formal nights and not enjoying paying for speciality restaurants. With Anthem launching its maiden season from Southampton this is going to be interesting to see how it works out.

One thing came to mind. Bookings for Anthem for UK departures next year opened some weeks back....before these dining arrangements were published. Some people who booked that like traditional club dining in a MDR might be a tad disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Definitely not on a cruise ship. Some of the specialty restaurants are quite nice, but none approach "top notch."

The $100 the poster quoted was for two diners. $50/person certainly isn't a top notch restaurant. If they started charging $100/person onboard, I would certainly expect true "top notch" dining.

They all look great to me; I want to try every restaurant.

This sounds like an expansion of the Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas dining concept--a lot of little restaurants, some extra-cost, some not. The difference is the end of the main dining restaurant. I took a trip on the Allure of the Seas and tried out a lot of the restaurants (including the Chef's Table) and it was great. Reserving ahead of time was fine with me (reservations were needed for the different entertainment options anyway). The only meals that were a problem were in the main dining room; the food was fine but because of the many dining options the table was never full on the 3 nights I ate in the MDR (no one but me showed up the last night). I think that will be a common experience when there are so many dining venues. The solution someone mentioned--reserving the same restaurant the same night every night--sounds like a good option for anyone who wants to recreate a main dining room experience (although table mates may change unless you get a table just for your own party).

For me, this new plan looks great and worth a try. I am not sure if it should expand to Celebrity, but for the larger ships of RCI it makes sense.

Five of the 18 dining experiences will be offered to guests on a complimentary basis. Each restaurant will feature a unique menu, open seating, and no set dining times.

American Icon Grill, a take on the classic American road trip, pulling together best-loved regional favorites into one comfort-style menu,

Chic, where the height of contemporary cuisine is realized and the freshest ingredients, such as proteins that pack a punch and sauces made from scratch, are evolved for a modern palate,

Silk, a vibrant and exotic destination where the spices of the Far East bring new flavor to adventurous palates through a Pan-Asian menu,

The Grande, a luxuriant nod to a bygone era of classic European ocean liners when dining was a time honored ritual, featuring timeless dishes, and where every night is formal night,

Coastal Kitchen, a concept created exclusively for suite guests, fusing Mediterranean influences with the unmatched riches of California’s bountiful farmlands.

Known as “Next Level Dining Options,” guests can choose to dine in a number of premium restaurants.

Wonderland, an elaborate feast for the senses in a setting where Royal Caribbean chefs twist their culinary kaleidoscopes to invent a dreamscape of never-before-seen fare,

Jamie’s Italian, with a menu designed by award winning Jamie Oliver, Jamie’s will feature rustic Italian favorites, handmade using seasonal ingredients and Jamie’s tried-and-tested crowd pleasers,

Michael’s Genuine Pub, the first American gastropub at sea and the next evolution of Royal Caribbean’s relationship withJames Beard Award-winning chef Michael Schwartz, offering simply-prepared food and drinks made with quality ingredients from the best artisanal producers,

Devinly Decadence at Solarium Bistro, Royal Caribbean’s fittest dining destination, serving the foods you love all under five-hundred calories, designed by Devin Alexander, media personality, New York Times bestselling author and chef of highly-rated television show, “The Biggest Loser.”

Additionally, versions of Royal Caribbean favorites, such as Chops Grille steakhouse, Izumi Japanese Cuisine and Chef’s Table, will all return on the Quantum class with a revamped look and even more WOWs than before.

Guests can also enjoy a number of complimentary, laid back dining options.

Windjammer Marketplace, a Royal Caribbean dining mainstay gets a new twist on Quantum class as a global culinary pavilion that invites guests to explore the world, dish by dish through enticing food islands, interactive stations, made-to-order specialties, an on-site bakery and a 24-hour station called The Grill,

The Cafe @ Two70˚, a new gourmet marketplace serving savory hot-pressed sandwiches, salads made to order, handmade soups and more,

SeaPlex Dog House, the first food truck at sea offering gourmet hot dogs for all to enjoy in SeaPlex, the largest indoor active space at sea.

These venues join returning casual-feel favorites including Sorrento’s, Cafe Promenade and Johnny Rockets (cover charge applies).

Sounds like a good concept to me! :)

LuLu

~~~~

I'm sure we will hear grumblings from those that will not be able to eat at the desired times like the 7:00 spot due to reservations being full. Just one area that will need to be worked around.

With ships now having 10, 15 or 20 options for dining, I don't think a passenger should grumble if one (or several) of those are full at the particular time they want to dine. No different than land based restaurants. The most popular places often are full. You either wait or go somewhere else. Same thing can happen on a cruise ship.

Actually RCI (Large Quintet) is a step or two above Celebrity (overall).

Celebrity unfortunately has not built their distinctive character.

I would say this is the only mass market product that has no distinctive character.

The largest discrepancy between the Logo and actual product I see in Celebrity.

Cunard is Cunard

HAL Signature class is proud to stay traditional yet most comfortable

Princess Grand class is literally "Escape completely"

RCI product is most entertaining at sea

Carnival is fun - whether we like it or not

NCL - Freestyle nickle and dime party ships - yes they are and it shows

Costa & MSC - budget cruises with some Italian flare

Celebrity... is neither fish no flesh.

It's neither as classy as Cunard, nor as comfortable as HAL Signature, nor as entertaining as RCI, nor as fun as Carnival, nor as "freestyle" as NCL, nor as "exotic" as Costa & MSC.

"Modern Luxury" is a pretense: the amenities are too limited to fill the bill.

The major problem IMHO is S-Class ships design. A mistake that now is limiting this cruise line progress.

They all look great to me; I want to try every restaurant.

This sounds like an expansion of the Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas dining concept--a lot of little restaurants, some extra-cost, some not. The difference is the end of the main dining restaurant. I took a trip on the Allure of the Seas and tried out a lot of the restaurants (including the Chef's Table) and it was great. Reserving ahead of time was fine with me (reservations were needed for the different entertainment options anyway). The only meals that were a problem were in the main dining room; the food was fine but because of the many dining options the table was never full on the 3 nights I ate in the MDR (no one but me showed up the last night). I think that will be a common experience when there are so many dining venues. The solution someone mentioned--reserving the same restaurant the same night every night--sounds like a good option for anyone who wants to recreate a main dining room experience (although table mates may change unless you get a table just for your own party).

For me, this new plan looks great and worth a try. I am not sure if it should expand to Celebrity, but for the larger ships of RCI it makes sense.

At this time they look great to me too.

But the Devil hides in details...