Just off Freedom-towels and drink vouchers

...I hope I am wrong.

And as long as I am being skeptical I will also add the D+ will likely lose access to the Concierge Lounge, which will then be Pinnacle and Suites.

I cannot express how upset I would be if RC took away the Diamond/Concierge lounge. We are D+. That is basically our cruise. Chatting in the CL lounge with old cruiser friends. We use it as much during the day as in the evening. I don't care about the 3 drinks....that is fine...but, take away my lounge and I am gone RC!! I can drink my 3 glasses of wine on another ship and pay much less for the cabin. With no one to socialize with.....what is the purpose of going with RC?

I cannot express how upset I would be if RC took away the Diamond/Concierge lounge. We are D+. That is basically our cruise. Chatting in the CL lounge with old cruiser friends. We use it as much during the day as in the evening. I don't care about the 3 drinks....that is fine...but, take away my lounge and I am gone RC!! I can drink my 3 glasses of wine on another ship and pay much less for the cabin. With no one to socialize with.....what is the purpose of going with RC?

I did not say - or meant to imply - that they would take away the Diamond Club and Concierge Lounge - only that I would fear they may change who is eligible to use them.

Clearly the continuing addition of the Diamond Clubs to those ships without them means that RCI is committed to those lounges for their top tier C & A members.

Please note that what I am talking about is a concern that - due to overcrowding - they eventually might limit the Diamond Club to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle, replacing the current access to Diamond members with the three drink vouchers for the other bars on the ship. I also theorized that if they did that they may also restrict the Concierge Lounge to Pinnacle and Suites.

All of this is pure conjecture about a possible long term plan based only on the recent addition of the vouchers, reportedly as a way to help reduce the overcrowded Diamond Club.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

They should attach 30 minute egg timers to each chair. If you aren't there to reset your timer at least once every 30 minutes so it doesn't run out, you lose the chair and all of your personal effects are thrown overboard.

cool idea

What?? No lounge-you would not cruise? come on now!!

They should attach 30 minute egg timers to each chair. If you aren't there to reset your timer at least once every 30 minutes so it doesn't run out, you lose the chair and all of your personal effects are thrown overboard.

Great idea!!:)

i love the egg timer idea on lounge chairs!:D
I hate it. 30 minutes is entirely too long to "hog" a chair. If you're in the pool area RIGHT THIS MINUTE, the chair should be yours. If not, it shouldn't be. Other people should not be expected to stand around half an hour before having use of that towel-only chair.

Things that're left to hold chairs are pretty obvious. The deck patrol should pick them up IMMEDIATELY.

It's not hard to see whether the chair is being hogged or not: A hogger drops his towel and keeps going. A user might drop his towel and walk over to the bar or stick his toes into the water, but he's also going to drop other things on the chair: Probably a book or some sunscreen or a tee-shirt. If a user leaves to go to the restroom, his things'll still be in the chair -- not just a neatly folded towel -- and the deck patrol should be aware that he was recently using that chair.

I say quit coddling the chair hogs with 30 minute excuses.

I say quit coddling the chair hogs with 30 minute excuses.

The "thirty minutes" was RCI's policy when they used the time cards recently on Independence - which at least was a genuine attempt to monitor the issue.

I too get upset with the chair hogging. But in all fairness if you get a chair early and occupy it, you should be able to take a swim or go to the bathroom without fear of loosing it. (That actually happened on one cruise where we were in the pool in front of our chairs as the attendant came by and removed our stuff. Fortunately we were able to call out to him and retain our towels and chairs).

It's pretty clear also who is there - and has been there - and who isn't and is just "reserving". I also don't begrudge some one who has been there all morning being able to grab a quick lunch and not have to worry about losing a chair they've occupied all morning. Just my opinion.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It's pretty clear also who is there - and has been there - and who isn't and is just "reserving". I also don't begrudge some one who has been there all morning being able to grab a quick lunch and not have to worry about losing a chair they've occupied all morning. Just my opinion.

I begrudge them 'reserving' the chair. If they leave the pool area for more than a few minutes, they are DONE with the chair. It is available to anyone who comes by and wants to sit down. When they decide to come back, they find another open chair and sit. If everyone did this, there would be a constant rotation and no more rows of chairs with towels on them and nobody around.

I begrudge them 'reserving' the chair. If they leave the pool area for more than a few minutes, they are DONE with the chair. It is available to anyone who comes by and wants to sit down. When they decide to come back, they find another open chair and sit. If everyone did this, there would be a constant rotation and no more rows of chairs with towels on them and nobody around.

I can't disagree with your point of view - certainly that is as valid as anyone else's. My comment was based on what RCI was doing on Independence with the "30 minute" cards, which was to show some measure of latitude but also define some control. Leaving for a quick lunch after occupying a chair all morning would be consistent with what they were using as their policy.

My 2 cents: You should never "own" more than one chair at a time. If you are sitting somewhere other than in the pool chair, the edge of the pool, or the john, you ought to give up your chair. IMO going to the buffet and picking up something to bring back to the pool is okay, but if you are going to sit down in there you should give up your chair. If I ran things (HA!) I'd bring back the $25 deposit and allow anyone collect actual cash for it. I could pay for my entire cruise off of chair hog towels.:D

Thom

BTW the mentioned 30 minute cards are way better than nothing.

The "thirty minutes" was RCI's policy when they used the time cards recently on Independence - which at least was a genuine attempt to monitor the issue.

I too get upset with the chair hogging. But in all fairness if you get a chair early and occupy it, you should be able to take a swim or go to the bathroom without fear of loosing it. (That actually happened on one cruise where we were in the pool in front of our chairs as the attendant came by and removed our stuff. Fortunately we were able to call out to him and retain our towels and chairs).

If you're in the area, you're not hogging the chair, and -- just as you saw the person removing your things -- you'll be there to say, "Hey, I'm here."

However, I disagree with leaving to get a meal and expecting your chair to remain untouched.

My 2 cents: You should never "own" more than one chair at a time. If you are sitting somewhere other than in the pool chair, the edge of the pool, or the john, you ought to give up your chair. IMO going to the buffet and picking up something to bring back to the pool is okay, but if you are going to sit down in there you should give up your chair. If I ran things (HA!) I'd bring back the $25 deposit and allow anyone collect actual cash for it. I could pay for my entire cruise off of chair hog towels.:D

Thom

BTW the mentioned 30 minute cards are way better than nothing.

Agree, I like the you get one chair at a time thinking.

We do go to the buffet and grab a plate to bring back, but usually do it one at a time so do not have to worry about anyone inadvertently taking our chairs.

[quote name='cello56']I hope that they are stilling trying the drink coupons on our June cruise. Personally to ME, I think the three drinks is more then generous. They are offering you an evening cocktail hour. Not a night of free drinking. My opinion.[/QUOTE]Agree & like. That's around $40 per night free for us both and more than enough IMHO.

[quote name='palofmine']I bring my own towel, and hubby wakes up at 7 to go get a seat at Solarioum.[/quote]I have no problem with him going at 7 and even saving ONE (NOT eight) additional chair for you for a reasonable amount of time while he sits there. I know:rolleyes: you would not use that towel to save a chair until 11, but for those who do, I hope that towel gets added to someone's yard sale. Doesn't matter if it is RCI's towel or your towel - if you are nowhere around it is chair hogging. I have NEVER seen more people at the pool than chairs. If people didn't hog chairs, there would be plenty for everyone.

[quote name='musicfam']To clarify...Three drinks each between 4:30 and 8p in bars excluding MDR, Vintages and one other. Can't remember the third. The Diamond Lounge was still open. A bit less crowded. We had our entire family with us and this allowed us to enjoy happy hour with them. The crew had not been adequately in-serviced on the plan, though and it created some confusion. Will be a great perk when they get the bugs out. We love the DLounge, too, so hope they do not discontinue.[/QUOTE]

We sailed on Freedom Dec. 1-8, 2013 and no drink vouchers were issued. We are Diamond +. There were NO seats in the Concierge Lounge ANY night when we went there at 5 pm. The Concierge said people were showing up at 3:45 pm in the Concierge Lounge to get a seat for the complimentary cocktails they started serving at 5 pm. We weren't willing to go to the Concierge Lounge at 3:45 pm and waste our afternoon waiting for our free drinks. BTW, I drink very little and we only stop by for a drink on our way to early dinner. So we switched to Pharoah's Palace where the Diamond Lounge was set up and there were NO seats there either. We were told that on our sailing there were 700 C&A members between Diamond, Diamond + and Pinnacle. It seemed obvious to us that RC and the Concierge should have known their venues were still too small to accommodate this many people and offered drink credits on our SeaPass......they did not. We also like meeting our fellow return cruisers and having a drink before dinner. Since this wasn't possible, my husband and I felt RC didn't value us as the loyal guests we are much less work to correct the problem. This problem was the only negative of our entire cruise and I wrote this criticism in my email Guest Survey after we returned home.

Lol just line the chairs up like ALDI and charge a quarter LOL

My husband gets our chairs at 6am in the Solarium, with the kids, that wont happen. we will be up stairs on a deck away from the pool. I will get two chairs and if the kids wanna come sit down they can. i bring my own towels, and a large beach bag. i bring my food to my chairs.

[quote name='TravelerThom']I have no problem with him going at 7 and even saving ONE (NOT eight) additional chair for you for a reasonable amount of time while he sits there. I know:rolleyes: you would not use that towel to save a chair until 11, but for those who do, I hope that towel gets added to someone's yard sale. Doesn't matter if it is RCI's towel or your towel - if you are nowhere around it is chair hogging. I have NEVER seen more people at the pool than chairs. If people didn't hog chairs, there would be plenty for everyone.[/quote]

Then you would not have liked the every day 12 chair hogs on grandeur last July in the solarium! :)

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Was going to question whether or not the vouchers were being used when the cruises had a substantial number of D/D+/Pinnacle/Suites guest on board. From the poster who told their story on a December cruise and the overcrowding in all venues, sounds like this wasn't a recent criteria. Maybe this [I]will [/I] influence the use of vouchers in the future. The speculation of whether the voucher practice will evoke a change in DL /CL status is interesting to contemplate. Time will tell. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='TravelerThom']My 2 cents: You should never "own" more than one chair at a time. If you are sitting somewhere other than in the pool chair, the edge of the pool, or the john, you ought to give up your chair. IMO going to the buffet and picking up something to bring back to the pool is okay, but if you are going to sit down in there you should give up your chair. If I ran things (HA!) I'd bring back the $25 deposit and allow anyone collect actual cash for it. I could pay for my entire cruise off of chair hog towels.:D

Thom

BTW the mentioned 30 minute cards are way better than nothing.[/QUOTE]
So by that definition, you "claim" a chair at the pool, then leave to pick up a snack, walk by a bar and get a drink, take a couple laps around the track, try out the flowrider, and then the rock wall. As long as you don't sit down anywhere else, you're still entitled to the chair at the pool, right? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but I won't begrudge someone taking 5 minutes to go to the bathroom, or 20 minutes to sit in the hot tub. I think the 30 minute timer (of some sort) is a good compromise. Pool attendants should "walk the floor" at the top & bottom of the hour. Any towels on a chair should be folded and draped over the headrest. Any towels found folded and draped over the headrest during the next time by should be taken up and any personal property brought to a "lost and found".

[quote name='S.A.M.J.R.']So by that definition, you "claim" a chair at the pool, then leave to pick up a snack, walk by a bar and get a drink, take a couple laps around the track, try out the flowrider, and then the rock wall. As long as you don't sit down anywhere else, you're still entitled to the chair at the pool, right? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but I won't begrudge someone taking 5 minutes to go to the bathroom, or 20 minutes to sit in the hot tub. I think the 30 minute timer (of some sort) is a good compromise. Pool attendants should "walk the floor" at the top & bottom of the hour. Any towels on a chair should be folded and draped over the headrest. Any towels found folded and draped over the headrest during the next time by should be taken up and any personal property brought to a "lost and found".[/QUOTE]

I agree.

[quote name='musicfam']We cruised Freedom last week and they had lifted the towel check-out program.We were pleased until we realized that with no "investment" in their towel, the chair-hogs were worse! (My daughter got up at 7 a.m. to get a chair by the pool. They all already had towels. She found ONE in the smoking area.)Folks left towels on chairs and went to lunch, shopping and Bingo. Worse, they just walked away from their towels on chairs when they were through and you never knew if the chair was really reserved. And forget the deck patrol. They are worthless.

Another welcome change were Diamond and above drink vouchers on your Seapass card. That was great. When they tell the bartenders they are offering this, it will really be nice!

Overall, it was a fantastic cruise![/QUOTE]

Hi Lisa .. post from cruiser on Freedom last week. Im not sure if I can save the thread but if you go to Search.....post 2016577 by Musicfam

Bob