Tip your bar servers!!!!!!!

Dear Diamond & up Crown & Anchor members:

More and more ships are putting three drink "vouchers" on your SeaPass card. You can still go to the CL or DL if you are eligible. The vouchers are good between 5 & 8:30 P.M. This has only benefits; there is no downside.

I am currently on the Explorer of the Seas, where there is no DL. Diamonds can get three drinks now, not just wine & soda. Same kind of standard drinks as in DL and CL.

BUT

BUT

BUT

PLEASE tip your bar waiters!!!!

Out there at random bars around the ship, they get NOTHING except what you give them.

PLEASE give them a gratuity!!!!!

Thanks for bringing this up. It was something that we did remember early on during our cruise, so we did think to give our servers some money during the week. It helped that we generally went to the same venue and were waited on by the same two servers so we could aggregate our tips over a couple days.

I have seen on occasional $5 tip turn into a free round of shots for my wife and I, at least when sitting in a bar that is not horribly crowded, and you are being friendly to the barkeeper.

I gave the tip as he helped my wife pick a new martini (that she really liked), the shots were a bonus.

More and more ships are putting three drink "vouchers" on your SeaPass card. You can still go to the CL or DL if you are eligible. The vouchers are good between 5 & 8:30 P.M. This has only benefits; there is no downside.

I am currently on the Explorer of the Seas, where there is no DL. Diamonds can get three drinks now, not just wine & soda. Same kind of standard drinks as in DL and CL.

BUT

BUT

BUT

Out there at random bars around the ship, they get NOTHING except what you give them.

Thread raised before.

I always discreetly give $10.00 per seated session, albeit CL, DL or a Bar.

Sadly, many cruisers "forget" or their brain just switches to "ignore".

But thank you for raising the matter - you are very kind and thoughtful -

The more awareness of this is raised, it should then make it better for all servers.

We'll done:D

BUT

BUT

BUT

Hi MM, just off Explorer today. Indeed the bar servers are not too happy with the new program. One problem is that they all do not have access to all the complimentary drinks available with the coupon. The port wine was one example. The second comment was that they are not getting the usual 15% tips.

As a second point. If you have access to the Concierge Lounge, please remember to tip your waiters. The service there was great and I know many guests did not leave tips.

Edited by yogimax

I would treat them in the same way I do the bar servers in the DL or CL, if they serve we with a welcoming smile and then they get a tip, if they remember my name and drink they get a bigger one.

If they remember me from a previous ship, it goes up again. Somehow I am more popular with the bar servers than I am with my bank manager :D

I would treat them in the same way I do the bar servers in the DL or CL, if they serve we with a welcoming smile and then they get a tip, if they remember my name and drink they get a bigger one.

If they remember me from a previous ship, it goes up again. Somehow I am more popular with the bar servers than I am with my bank manager :D

I guess he doesn´t remember you?:rolleyes::eek::p

For those of us challenged....... CL, DL, EX?

I suppose you think all of us know, but that is not the case.....

CL - Concierge Lounge - for those staying in suites (except for Junior Suites)

DL - Diamond Lounge - for Crown and Anchor members Diamond status and above.

EX - Explorer of the Seas (I think - I didn't go back to read the thread to see where you saw it.)

CL - Concierge Lounge - for those staying in suites (except for Junior Suites)

DL - Diamond Lounge - for Crown and Anchor members Diamond status and above.

EX - Explorer of the Seas (I think - I didn't go back to read the thread to see where you saw it.)

Ya beat me to it...and did a better job by adding explanations.

Hi MM, just off Explorer today. Indeed the bar servers are not too happy with the new program. One problem is that they all do not have access to all the complimentary drinks available with the coupon. The port wine was one example. The second comment was that they are not getting the usual 15% tips.

As a second point. If you have access to the Concierge Lounge, please remember to tip your waiters. The service there was great and I know many guests did not leave tips.

I am so sorry that we did not meet!!!!

Or did we, and I didn't know that it was you? ;)

I am a bit confused about OP's post, but going on Ex soon. Will someone please explain a bit more about this 'new program'. Three drinks? Why bar staff is not happy? No access to 15%? I know the cruise staff works hard and deserve the tips, but no access to the 15% has me concerned. :confused:

I am a bit confused about OP's post, but going on Ex soon. Will someone please explain a bit more about this 'new program'. Three drinks? Why bar staff is not happy? No access to 15%? I know the cruise staff works hard and deserve the tips, but no access to the 15% has me concerned. :confused:

Laney, I am looking at your signature and making an assumption that you are not Diamond status or higher in the Crown and Anchor program? Forgive me if that is not true, but if this is correct, then you and everyone else needn't worry about this. OP was explaining the procedure aboard ships (specifically Explorer right now) that do not have a dedicated Diamond and Concierge Lounge where Diamond and higher members receive complimentary drinks. If a passenger is not Diamond or higher, or staying in a suite, then OP's post doesn't concern them and they can go ahead and get their drinks the "regular way". Hmm. Does that help? :)

OP Merion_Mom, thanks for the reminder. We were on Serenade a few weeks ago and met a couple in the DL who said they really enjoyed the service and this would be the first time they were actually tipping anyone. I was a little surprised, but I do suppose there are those who do not tip at all, for whatever reason.

BUT

BUT

BUT

Thanks for this reminder. We tip at the end of the week in the lounge, but will tip drink by drink with the coupons. Thanks again!

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Laney, I am looking at your signature and making an assumption that you are not Diamond status or higher in the Crown and Anchor program? Forgive me if that is not true, but if this is correct, then you and everyone else needn't worry about this. OP was explaining the procedure aboard ships (specifically Explorer right now) that do not have a dedicated Diamond and Concierge Lounge where Diamond and higher members receive complimentary drinks. If a passenger is not Diamond or higher, or staying in a suite, then OP's post doesn't concern them and they can go ahead and get their drinks the "regular way". Hmm. Does that help? :)

Your assumption is correct, but the title of the thread did not express that it was only for the elite, so I clicked on it. And as I read through the posts, looked like there was some comments about tipping at regular bars that I thought was relevant to steerage like me. Yes your reply did help, even though it did not answer the question asked.

Your assumption is correct, but the title of the thread did not express that it was only for the elite, so I clicked on it. And as I read through the posts, looked like there was some comments about tipping at regular bars that I thought was relevant to steerage like me. Yes your reply did help, even though it did not answer the question asked.

:). Re-read my original post. It says "Dear Diamond & up Crown & Anchor members".

I tried to be as targeted and specific as possible.

:)

Yes!! Thanks MM for the reminder.

We'll be on the Explorer in May and was not aware of this new amenity.

So I,m assuming that with these new vouchers that are on our seapass for 3 drinks there is no 15% gratuity added??

We always tip our bar service above the 15% but now we will be extra vigilant.

Thanks

Liz:)

Yes, since these passengers are getting free drinks, there is no "15%". 15% of 0 is 0.

;)

Hmm, OK. Guys - :)

OP's new thread here is specific to Explorer which does not have a Diamond Lounge or Concierge Lounge until her refurbishment. We may assume that other ships without will go this way too. It only applies to Diamond and up C&A members, and Concierge Lounge members who are sailing in a suite. Yes? Does that clear it up a little? :)

If you do not have access to either of these nightly events, then don't even worry about this. Life goes on as usual. It's just that in the DL and CL, there are bar staff who bring complimentary drinks to the members; since there is no additional charge for the drinks, they are not given the "usual" gratuity of 15% for selling you the drink. Right? As OP said, 15% of 0 is 0.

And I do not want to sound pompous here in any way. I am not elite and Laney219 is not steerage. I actually hate those terms. :( Everyone is working their way up through the various C&A levels and we'll all get there eventually. :)

:). Re-read my original post. It says "Dear Diamond & up Crown & Anchor members".

I tried to be as targeted and specific as possible.

:)

Re-read my post. I said the thread title and after clicking And reading other posts I had questions. Silly me that I thought I could get an answer even though it does not directly apply!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes!! Thanks MM for the reminder.

We'll be on the Explorer in May and was not aware of this new amenity.

So I,m assuming that with these new vouchers that are on our seapass for 3 drinks there is no 15% gratuity added??

We always tip our bar service above the 15% but now we will be extra vigilant.

Thanks

Liz:)

15% of a 0 charge = 0

BUT

BUT

BUT

MerionMom I'm a lowly Gold but I do tip the servers. When they have the Welcome Back Party I have tipped the server and they were so happy they asked what could they make for me. I asked what could they make. They said anything. So I asked for a Caprinha and they brought it to me with a smile.

I also tipped at the Captain's Party and the server remembered me and kept coming around with more glasses of champagne(not that I needed it).

We always add an additional tip at Chops or Portifino's even with the service charge included because we love the service. They remembered us the next week and when we brought in a bottle of Champagne that I had won they replaced it with a fresh bottle the first week. The second week I had a bottle of wine that Guest Services sent and the kind waiter from the last week replaced it with another fresh bottle and gave us something totally different and better that the one we had with a smile.

It doesn't matter if you expect something in return but I feel that if you tip you will get better service.