Should I have LOWER expectations with RCCL?

thanks for the fresh perspective...I will look for a future cruise on a luxury line!

Hi... I am sorry you were disappointed with your cruise. My question, before you lower your expectations... is how much did you pay for your cruise? Obviously since you were happy with other lines in the past... was it the price the drew you to RCI? And... since you haven't cruised in quite a while -- almost 3 years in the cruise industry is almost a lifetime -- why didn't you pick another cruise line? The price to jump to a luxury line from RCI or any of the lines you mentioned is HUGE!! Again... sorry you are disappointed. I'm not sure why you didn't come to the Royal Boards here prior to your cruise to get an idea of what your experience would be... You asked questions prior to your cruise on HAL years ago... but nothing for Royal... Just my observation! I hope you'll come back to give us answers to these questions. I'm not saying you should have 'lowered' your expectations... just wondering if you received value for the $$$ spent.

I think you should probably just lower your expectations.

As much a people want to believe around here, RC is really no different than the NCL, Princess, HAL, Carnival, etc.

Although I do think the ships are nicer..

I did not know that a tour was free to those in GS or higher. I may try take advantage of this on our next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This varies by ship. Sometimes the concierge can get you on a tour (space available), sometimes they have special suite specific tours, sometimes nothing is available.

I point this out because this is a thread about expectations. Don't get your hopes up, but it may happen. Also maybe ship/captain/ concierge dependent.

Edited by AustinCruise

I'm going to attempt to address some of these. For reference, I have cruised on Princess 4 times (2000-2007), Carnival 5 times (2009-2011), and HAL twice (2012 & 2013).

Here are some instances of what I mean when I say I feel dupped/disappointed:

- balcony cabin did not have a bathtub, bathrobe, slippers, wine or champagne glasses; counterspace and shower was small

Of the lines I've cruised, only HAL has bathtubs in regular balcony cabins.

- no 'extras', like popcorn for the movie theater, midnite buffets, chocolate extravagnas, or lobster on formal night (lobster now costs $30 in the MDR!); instead free lobster was served on the night that we spent in Cozumel (I'm guessing they were hoping that guests would be too drunk/sunburnt to go to the MDR on this night instead of the formal night?)

The chocolate extravaganza had been discontinued before my second HAL cruise in September 2013. The only cruise I've EVER had a midnight buffet on was RCI Rhapsody of the Seas in 2002. Lobster is traditionally served on the second formal night on RCI. Since you were on a short cruise, they placed that menu on a different night. Sorry it didn't meet your expectations.

- no trays in the buffet so that you can't carry multiple plates/bowls/cups...(again, I'm guessing they are trying to stifle peoples' temptations to take too much food and make them make several trips to the buffet)

None of the lines I've cruised with have had trays in the buffet.

- no food around the clock (even Carnival has a 24-hour pizza service!)...now they even charge you a $4 service fee if you order room service (if you can even find the menu, which is now buried in a book in the vanity!) during the night (12-5am). At 3pm, there is no open buffet line--instead they have a limited food line that serves a few sandwiches/desserts/salad/fruit....if you have the midday munchies, you will have to wait in a long line with everyone else!

I've never had a problem finding something to eat on any cruise. I guess since I stick to somewhat normal meal times that's not a problem for me.

- After signing up for MyTime reservations, I discovered on the first night that I still needed a reservation! This was not clear when I booked the cruise!

- 4 different restaurants that you have to pay for ranging $20-70/pp. I really don't think you should have to pay $20 extra to eat Italian food on a cruise ship!

You can either make reservations or go in the no reservation line...it's your choice. As for the pay restaurants, if you don't want to pay, go to the MDR. It's that way on all the lines I've sailed.

- activities were...lame. Each night I received the cruise compass, I was not impressed with the next day's planned activities...a lot of trivia sessions and not much else free...everything else had a $ next to it (wine tastings, beer tastings, bingo, blackjack, etc.) I was disappointed that they did not have a galley tour, and it was only on the last day that I found out from a 'loyal royal' that they do the tour, but they don't advertise it....seriously? Is that a snob thing not to advertise what they offer to ALL their guests?

- most nights, there was only 1 showtime for the comedian or juggler...

To each their own. I have always found plenty to do on RCI, but you may have different interests. I was bored on Carnival, because even though there were things on the schedule, they didn't interest me. The entertainment on our HAL cruise in September was practically non-existent.

It has been 2 years since I last cruised on Holland (Alaska and a Christmas Caribbean--both awesome!)--are all cruise lines tightening the belt or have I just been spoiled by Holland? I'm curious and would love to hear your thoughts...TIA!

My thoughts are that you were looking to find fault and you were successful. Every cruise line I've been on has some things I think they do particularly well and some things I don't care for. Obviously there are cruise lines that are a better match for you, so you should stick to them!

Just got off my first RCCL cruise (5-day Tampa Brilliance of the Seas) and I was DISAPPOINTED. I've cruised with Carnival, NCL, Princess, and HAL...and had HIGH expectations for RCCL. But now I'm wondering if all RC cruises are this bad or if I just chose an itinerary/ship that doesn't represent the rest of the fleet????

- balcony cabin did not have a bathtub, bathrobe, slippers, wine or champagne glasses; counterspace and shower was small

- no 'extras', like popcorn for the movie theater, midnite buffets, chocolate extravagnas, or lobster on formal night (lobster now costs $30 in the MDR!); instead free lobster was served on the night that we spent in Cozumel (I'm guessing they were hoping that guests would be too drunk/sunburnt to go to the MDR on this night instead of the formal night?)

- no trays in the buffet so that you can't carry multiple plates/bowls/cups...(again, I'm guessing they are trying to stifle peoples' temptations to take too much food and make them make several trips to the buffet)

- no food around the clock (even Carnival has a 24-hour pizza service!)...now they even charge you a $4 service fee if you order room service (if you can even find the menu, which is now buried in a book in the vanity!) during the night (12-5am). At 3pm, there is no open buffet line--instead they have a limited food line that serves a few sandwiches/desserts/salad/fruit....if you have the midday munchies, you will have to wait in a long line with everyone else!

- After signing up for MyTime reservations, I discovered on the first night that I still needed a reservation! This was not clear when I booked the cruise!

- 4 different restaurants that you have to pay for ranging $20-70/pp. I really don't think you should have to pay $20 extra to eat Italian food on a cruise ship!

- activities were...lame. Each night I received the cruise compass, I was not impressed with the next day's planned activities...a lot of trivia sessions and not much else free...everything else had a $ next to it (wine tastings, beer tastings, bingo, blackjack, etc.) I was disappointed that they did not have a galley tour, and it was only on the last day that I found out from a 'loyal royal' that they do the tour, but they don't advertise it....seriously? Is that a snob thing not to advertise what they offer to ALL their guests?

It has been 2 years since I last cruised on Holland (Alaska and a Christmas Caribbean--both awesome!)--are all cruise lines tightening the belt or have I just been spoiled by Holland? I'm curious and would love to hear your thoughts...TIA!

Maybe a little homework and research may have given you more insight into the cruise.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Edited by Thetrail

Not sure a “luxury line” is the answer for the OP’s disappointments. Many cruise lines, mass or luxury, have made changes in offerings, i.e. trays in buffet no midnight buffet etc. Many of the small “ luxury” lines have open seating that may still require a small wait for a table. Luxury lines may have a more limited activity list.

A quick look on the cruise line website, a call to the TA or cruise line would have answered questions about accommodations regarding bathtubs, robes, sippers, flowers, wine etc. Even a mass market line may offer some of these things, but not for standard balcony cabins, for a new cruiser. If a tub was a necessity, the OP should have selected a JS to insure this accommodation.

OP –I am sorry you were disappointed in your cruise but a few minutes in a basic question or research might have answered your concerns prior to the trip so that you can get the accommodations you want or cancel completely.

m

We have been on most of the major cruise lines- on RCI twice and will be going on RCI again next year. We enjoy it that much.

We have always found plenty to do on all of the ships. On our recent Enchantment cruise, there were more music choices than we have had on other lines. Also, the staff was very friendly and conversational, a real plus.

Perhaps individual ships are the difference, rather than the lines. We shall find out next year on the Brilliance.:)

We are Diamond members on Royal and have also cruised on many other mass market cruises. We returned from our Vision cruise yesterday and were shocked by the decline of Royal. The refurb of the ship was beautiful and the service was outstanding, but every other aspect fell short of any previous Royal cruises.The food at the Windjammer buffett was terrible. It reminded us of a cheap all you can eat restaurant. The service by our " anytime" waiters was great but the food was not good at all. This was the first time we felt coerced into going to the specialty restaurants to get enjoyable food. The lobster on formal night was a small,salty,water logged,fishy tail.We ate breakfast and lunch at the café in the solarium because the other options were not worth the calories or chaos. There was no longer an area to get a fresh burger or slice of pizza in the afternoon. Nothing was made to order at the buffett.On other cruise lines I can get a scoop of ice cream without having to pay for it. They no longer have a "newspaper" available where you can catch up on the headlines. The selection and quality of merchandise in the gift shops has declined. We had a jr. suite and were given nice "product", but I spoke to other guests in regular cabins that did not even have shampoo.We have enjoyed RCL so much in the past and are disappointed to see what it has become.

I suggest that the OP take a cruise on the previously cruised lines and she will see some differences. All of those cruise lines have added fee based specialty dining venues. Trays in the buffets are becoming a thing of the last.

Carnival and NCL do not have bathtubs in standard cabins. Which cruise lines still offer midnight buffets? No one that I know of.

I think the OP would probably be happy looking at some of the luxury lines.

Carnival does offer bathtubs on some ships on balcony rooms. Last summer we cruised on the Dream and had a standard balcony room and had a bathtub.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

I don't think RCCL is better or worse than any of those other cruise lines. In my opinion all in the same category. All have had cut backs and forgive me if I am wrong you haven't cruised in two years? You would notice cutbacks in all I am sure. Anyway...have you given Disney a try? Its not just for kids you know. Even though I still consider it a main stream cruise line to me it is just more...but again...you will also pay more for it.

I would not give up on RCCL. Perhaps get a suite next time? Or try MSC yacht club. i hear that is fantastic. Luxury lines are going to be a huge cost increase but it you can afford it...go for it!

Agree with your post. We are Diamond on RCCL and just returned from a 14nighter on Celebrity. Despite their claim to be a notch up from RCCL, we thought the experience was very similar. Actually, our cruise on Carnival last year was just as good as the Celebrity cruise. There are pros and cons on every line but overall, they are all alike - a good value, lots of fun, but not an upscale vacation.

Last year we had a midnight buffet on the Carnival Ecstasy. It was Mexican and it was really good. Lots of fruit carvings and such. We stayed in an interior, did not have a tub but we did have big comfy robes.

We just returned from our first Royal cruise also, Explorer of The Seas. We usually sail with celebrity , Princess and twice with HAL. That being said, we did find Royal not quite up to par with those other lines. We did enjoy our cruise but did noticed some differences. We didn't feel you should have to ask for bars of soap or lotion , they should have been in the cabin. When we asked for things it took all day to get them. Not that big of a deal, just different from what we experienced on other lines. Not impressed with the windjammer, but typical of most buffets . We had reservations for my time dining every night, but I agree, if it is any time dining you shouldn't need reservations. However, this was the most inexpensive cruise we have ever been on, so, you do get what you pay for. The entertainment though was excellent.

Marguerite

We did enjoy our cruise but did noticed some differences. We didn't feel you should have to ask for bars of soap or lotion , they should have been in the cabin. When we asked for things it took all day to get them. Not that big of a deal, just different from what we experienced on other lines.

Marguerite

We're going on our first Royal cruise, also on the Explorer. There seems to have been varying cutbacks on all lines, We are trying to go with an open mind and hope this attitude will continue on board the ship, What I personally find truly alarming about your comments is about having to "beg" for a bar of soap! So I guess now I need to take a just in case bar of soap, along with my daily dose of chocolate, a pen and paper:rolleyes:

Edited by Sanz

I think it's worth giving RC another shot. Most of the things that you didn't like you will find on all RC cruises though, and as other have pointed out, a lot of the other lines are cutting back on extras and eliminating buffet trays.

We have had only great cruises on Navigator and Liberty, but we had the worst cruise on Majesty in 2012 (food and service issues, much smaller cabins than other ships). If it had been our first RC cruise we would not have returned.

No robes in every cabin , just suites? Every cabin should have robes in my opinion.

Robes are in JS category and above staterooms, and also to Platinum level C&A members and above regardless of stateroom.

Robes are in JS category and above staterooms, and also to Platinum level C&A members and above regardless of stateroom.

This has been the policy on Royal Caribbean the whole time we have cruised with them...our first RCI cruise was in 2002.

We're going on our first Royal cruise, also on the Explorer. There seems to have been varying cutbacks on all lines, We are trying to go with an open mind and hope this attitude will continue on board the ship, What I personally find truly alarming about your comments is about having to "beg" for a bar of soap! So I guess now I need to take a just in case bar of soap, along with my daily dose of chocolate, a pen and paper:rolleyes:

I'm leaving for my 39th cruise on Royal in a few weeks... (52nd overall) -- I've been cruising steadily since 1995 -- in all types of cabins, but most recently because my mom and I are traveling together and she needs an accessible stateroom, inside or outside cabins. With that said... I have NEVER had to beg for anything, let alone a bar of soap. Usually when we first meet our cabin attendant we ask for a couple extra bath towels and anything else we might need. True, no chocolates on the pillows... but finding a 'daily dose' of chocolate on board will be no problem! You will find no shortage of desserts with chocolate! And... if you want pen and paper, and it isn't in your cabin, your room attendant will bring it to you... or when you pass buy guest services, just ask. They will hand you some Royal paper, envelopes and a pen if you request it.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!!!

We just returned from our first Royal cruise also, Explorer of The Seas. We usually sail with celebrity , Princess and twice with HAL. That being said, we did find Royal not quite up to par with those other lines. We did enjoy our cruise but did noticed some differences. We didn't feel you should have to ask for bars of soap or lotion , they should have been in the cabin. When we asked for things it took all day to get them. Not that big of a deal, just different from what we experienced on other lines. Not impressed with the windjammer, but typical of most buffets . We had reservations for my time dining every night, but I agree, if it is any time dining you shouldn't need reservations. However, this was the most inexpensive cruise we have ever been on, so, you do get what you pay for. The entertainment though was excellent.

Marguerite

I was on the same cruise and soap was always provided. It may have had something to do with your cabin steward. Our cabin steward, Verina, was always there and could not have been more attentive. :)

We did mytime dining on our two cruises previous and never had issues with having to make reservations, the system clearly doesn't work as well on the larger ships :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

We just completed our first cruise on RCI, two weeks ago. After calling the number provided, we were able to make a reservation for the entire 10 day cruise. Same time, same table, for our group of 6.

LOTS of inaccurate statements in the original complaint and an attitude ready to find fault will get you disappointed.

But finding fault with lobster not being served on the night you wanted it:confused: Wow! Did OP ask for lobster on that night...he most probably would've gotten it just by asking and without an extra charge too. Bath robes can be had for the asking, by anyone! I know I've done it. Don't even care about the bath robes..tooo hot.

And there are no restaurants on any RCCL ships that charge $70 per person.

Really??? I can't imagine being this picky...but whatever floats your boat!:rolleyes:

And hey LindaO always loved your Ward quote! My sails are always trim:)

Edited by BecciBoo

No robes in every cabin , just suites? Every cabin should have robes in my opinion.

I've just never understood the robe thing.

Why should any cruise line provide clothing for people. And just to lounge around your cabin in? Just don't get it.

For me they're always too hot for the Caribbean, too small from shrinkage and uncomfortable. ???:confused: Guess I'm just clueless.:D

Asked for them a couple times when we first started cruising...and they were happy to oblige, no matter what status we were, but after that..isch.

Edited by BecciBoo

Just got off my first RCCL cruise (5-day Tampa Brilliance of the Seas) and I was DISAPPOINTED. I've cruised with Carnival, NCL, Princess, and HAL...and had HIGH expectations for RCCL. But now I'm wondering if all RC cruises are this bad or if I just chose an itinerary/ship that doesn't represent the rest of the fleet????

So many misstatements and misleading comments that it is almost pointless to rebut them. Some of your complaints(such as no bathtubs in balcony staterooms) would have been eliminated had you bothered to look at the deck plans and read the descriptions of the various stateroom types. You did not need reservations to take advantage of My Time Dining although the staff may have recommended them if you wished to dine at a peak time or if you needed a large table that would accommodate your group. We have become fans of MTD and when we have gone to dinner without making a reservat ion we have encountered little or no waits to be seated. We have never had to "beg" our room steward for anything. A simple request was usually all that was required and if that wasn't sufficient, it would have been a negative reflection on the individual involved and not necessarily on RCI. That said, Brilliance is one of our very favorite cruise ships and Radiance class our favorite class, and we are looking forward to being back onboard next month.

I'm going to attempt to address some of these. For reference, I have cruised on Princess 4 times (2000-2007), Carnival 5 times (2009-2011), and HAL twice (2012 & 2013).

Of the lines I've cruised, only HAL has bathtubs in regular balcony cabins.

The chocolate extravaganza had been discontinued before my second HAL cruise in September 2013. The only cruise I've EVER had a midnight buffet on was RCI Rhapsody of the Seas in 2002. Lobster is traditionally served on the second formal night on RCI. Since you were on a short cruise, they placed that menu on a different night. Sorry it didn't meet your expectations.

None of the lines I've cruised with have had trays in the buffet.

I've never had a problem finding something to eat on any cruise. I guess since I stick to somewhat normal meal times that's not a problem for me.

You can either make reservations or go in the no reservation line...it's your choice. As for the pay restaurants, if you don't want to pay, go to the MDR. It's that way on all the lines I've sailed.

To each their own. I have always found plenty to do on RCI, but you may have different interests. I was bored on Carnival, because even though there were things on the schedule, they didn't interest me. The entertainment on our HAL cruise in September was practically non-existent.

My thoughts are that you were looking to find fault and you were successful. Every cruise line I've been on has some things I think they do particularly well and some things I don't care for. Obviously there are cruise lines that are a better match for you, so you should stick to them!

I think that NCL still has the chocoholic buffet, at least they did last year. They also offer cold washcloths, and drinks to guests returning to the ship from excursions. RCI eliminated these little nicities.

But, on the whole, our cruise on the Explorer was fantastic.