Nearest comparable line to Celebrity

Fixit2010

Holland America or Princess in terms of overall service. Neither beat X's smoking policy for me though so I stick with X. I like that there's no smoking indoors anywhere on X. (and no i do not want to turn this into a smoking thread - it is just a major factor for me).

I found the service to be top notch on HAL. Clientele might trend older than celebrity though depending on the sailing.

It all really depends on what factors matter to you overall.

If you had to select another line for one season, which other line comes close to Celebrity?

Holland America or Princess in terms of overall service. Neither beat X's smoking policy for me though so I stick with X. I like that there's no smoking indoors anywhere on X. (and no i do not want to turn this into a smoking thread - it is just a major factor for me).

I found the service to be top notch on HAL. Clientele might trend older than celebrity though depending on the sailing.

It all really depends on what factors matter to you overall.

Spot on summation. Would not hesitate to book with Princess again, even though Celebrity is preferred. :)

The service on Princess actually beats Celebrity in some areas, and the food is pretty close as well. Princess looses out to Celebrity because of their lack of specialty dining options, and my only complaint was the smoking in some indoor venues.

If I hadn't already booked a Celebrity transatlantic for this month, the 15 night Emerald Princess to Southampton for $605pp would be #1 with a bullet. Especially with $250 OBC for military benefit, and $250 more OBC for stockholder benefit. ;)

If you are the last minute type, this might be an option for you, depending on airfares...

Edited by teecee60

I was looking at Princess. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong: a standard Princess balcony does NOT come with a mini fridge or couch area, is that right?

I like some aspects in the newest Princess ship. However, we really enjoy that extra couch space on the Solstice ships and the mini fridge. We would have to upgrade to a higher level balcony on Princess in order to get this?

We havent sailed HAL in years, not sure I will ever the the wifester to look at them again. We 'HAD' really liked Princess since our 1st with them in 1992 until our sailing on the Ruby in 2012, just a so-so week, not bad but nothing extra. So if X floated off into the sunset we would have to stay with RCCL as the closest in the price point for food quality and service from the staff.

We actually enjoy Princess as much as Celebrity, sail either one depending on itinerary, pricing, etc. We do always get a mini suite on Princess, however --- for us, it's the best cabin at sea. Regular balcony cabins do not have a sofa, it's true. Celebrity used to have an edge in the food department, but not so much lately. We also enjoy MUTS, International Cafe, better and more extensive entertainment, and can't forget the pizza. The smaller MDRs suit us better, not as noisy as the big multi deck rooms, and the laundramats with irons on every deck are a useful feature, especially on a longer cruise.We haven't found a cruise line that is perfect in every way but we enjoy both lines.

Edited by cynbar

I sailed Princess once, and that was enough for me.

If you want the next step up then consider Oceania, but there is a bit of a price difference. If you listen to their marketing it works out the same, BUT I beg to differ.

We've enjoyed all our cruises, just some more than others. FWIW, in the last 5 years we've only cruised Celebrity and Oceania.

I was looking at Princess. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong: a standard Princess balcony does NOT come with a mini fridge or couch area, is that right?

I like some aspects in the newest Princess ship. However, we really enjoy that extra couch space on the Solstice ships and the mini fridge. We would have to upgrade to a higher level balcony on Princess in order to get this?

You are correct that there is no couch in the standard balcony, you have to book a mini suite to get this. All cabins include a mini fridge.

I have cruised both Celebrity and Princess and like both.

We love Princess, and had a terrible experience on the last sailing of Horizon out of Bermuda, so this is our first time back with Celebrity. Booked with an open mind that this will be a great experience as we have loved Celebrity in the past and Azamara. I must say that we have not had any complaints on all of our Princess cruises, a few have been a little better than the others, but loved all of them. Find the crew to be wonderfully friendly and the food to be very good. We do eat in the specialty restaurants a few times on each cruise just as an extra treat.

We usually just book a balcony cabin as the little couch does not justify the additional price for the mini-suite as the rest of the cabin is really the same. I don't find much use for the couch as we would rather sit on the balcony anyway.

I haven't sailed on HAL in so many years, I cannot say anything about them. I am a senior, (choke ), but I would rather book where I think there would be a better chance of a mixed age group.

We have cruised several lines and for us, Princess is the closest to Celebrity in terms of service and ambiance. We do prefer the S Class ships of Celebrity, but Princess has many good features. We enjoy the International Cafe and the coffee card, but now we are Elite + on Celebrity this is less of an issue. Movies Under the Stars is good at night, but the constant noise of concerts that they play in the day time is over the top. We are trying the Royal Princess in August, so that will be a new experience.

I would say also that Princess comes close to Celebrity. Just not so modern in ambience and the cabins are very old fashioned. Really love the cabins on the Solstice ships, especially when snaring a triple balcony:D

I find the pools nicer on Princess and do like the more intimate dining room. There is also more opportunity to dance.

What does put me off however is that we "down under" are not allowed to book via an American TA. This pushes up the cruise fare considerably.

For example our cruise last year in the Med on Princess for veranda cabin was twice the price then the cruise we booked on X with our lovely triple balcony cabin on Reflection.

Princess -- not really; too crowded and the food is really so so. Holland America -- not any more; dark, slow, and a little sad.

Cunard -- not bad; except for the buffet, a really nice experience; very formal.

Oceania and Azamara -- wonderful, if you can afford it. Select ships of Royal Caribbean -- surprisingly very good; like maybe the Allure, Oasis and perhaps the new ships coming out soon? (Quantum/Anthem); older ships not so much.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

We actually enjoy Princess as much as Celebrity, sail either one depending on itinerary, pricing, etc. We do always get a mini suite on Princess, however --- for us, it's the best cabin at sea. Regular balcony cabins do not have a sofa, it's true. Celebrity used to have an edge in the food department, but not so much lately. We also enjoy MUTS, International Cafe, better and more extensive entertainment, and can't forget the pizza. The smaller MDRs suit us better, not as noisy as the big multi deck rooms, and the laundramats with irons on every deck are a useful feature, especially on a longer cruise.We haven't found a cruise line that is perfect in every way but we enjoy both lines.

You have absolutely nailed it!!!! We love the mini-suites on Princess and the rest of your comments are accurate. Celebrity is our usual first choice, but for Alaska, Princess is it!!! They own the Lodges and have wonderful itineraries. The laundromats on Princess are really a blessing, especially on a long cruise. We are Elite Plus and have laundry coupons, but doing your own laundry and hanging it up/folding it is really better. I also feel their MDR service sometimes exceeds Celebrity. Celebrity has spread the service people very thin and that affects the temperature of the meals, etc. Just some thoughts.......

If you had to select another line for one season, which other line comes close to Celebrity?

I'm not so quick to answer this. I'm not sure I agree with the other responses. Princess, I thought was too crowded, but concerning the activities was a lot more like RCI's newer ships than it was Celebrity.

I can see a similarity in HAL, but HAL's ships do not compare with Solstice Class. Not even close.

To be honest, in my experience, I think RCI's older ship classes, like Radiance Class and Vision Class with their Solariums and beautiful Centrums are most similar to Celebrity. Plus, you would get loyalty reciprocity with a RCI.

We were just on Ruby Princess in Dec and we had a mini fridge. Did not have a couch area

Tried Princess Won't go again

Coffee even at pay venue awful

Crowded everywhere

No place to sit in shade. Lots of chairhogs

Terrible room service breakfast

Rude service

I could go on but will spare everyone

Just my opinion

Don't know a good alternative but I'd like to try the allure or oasis

I do wish celebrity would add interesting Carib itineraries

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

All depends on the itineraries offered .Imo both Princess & HAL are good lines & close to Celebrity in many ways .Very difficult to compare apples to oranges to grapefruits .all have their special flavors;)

YMMV if you are comparing S-class to Princess' newer ships, since we don't have experience with either.

But M-class and Coral/Island are not that different. Each has its strengths: C/I have a real Promenade Deck and so many wonderful public balconies [this is great for Alaska, Panama Canal, many places], but M-class has the classic ocean liner decor in the specialty restaurants.

Princess mini-suites are a really nice in-between level that suits our needs perfectly [suites don't suit because they are so expensive... pun intended ;)]

We sailed on Hal's Nieuw Amsterdam in November and really enjoyed it, so at least that ship was close to our Celebrity Experiences. Princess isn't our cup of tea so I can't put it in the same category as Celebrity. We've tried them 4 times (2 suites and 2 mini suites) in the not to distance past and I doubt we'd sail them again.

Edited by Oville