Post a Picture of Your Dress (Part 3)

Host Kat

My fiancé and I are getting married 3 days before we leave on the Carnival Dream in September. I am considering bringing my wedding dress as one of my formal night dresses. Do you think it looks to much like a wedding dress? Would it look to much out of place on a Carnival cruise? I know they are often more casual.

image.jpg

Edited by MsMistiS

My fiancé and I are getting married 3 days before we leave on the Carnival Dream in September. I am considering bringing my wedding dress as one of my formal night dresses. Do you think it looks to much like a wedding dress? Would it look to much out of place on a Carnival cruise? I know they are often more casual.

image.jpg

I can not see the picture. I tried using edge and google chrome.

I couldn't get it to work in most browsers... but eventually got one view in chrome. Here's the wedding dress MsMistiS is referring to.

e21ad2703f36a764e71d06ea3b2eae34.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

It is a beautiful dress and I love the color. I would wear it, you will be a brand new bride and you could get some very pretty pictures on board.

e21ad2703f36a764e71d06ea3b2eae34.jpg

My thoughts at first were it does look to much like a wedding dress. However... this is your honeymoon! So i see nothing wrong with doing that. :) What i would probably do is add some color to it, like a deep sapphire blue, ruby red or even black. Get a wrap/shawl, a ribbon sash for the waste and then a statement necklace in the same burst of color to give it an extra boost. It is a gorgeous dress. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

Edited by sherilyn70

It is a beautiful dress and I love the color. I would wear it, you will be a brand new bride and you could get some very pretty pictures on board.

I agree, it is a beautiful dress and I wouldn't change a thing.

image.jpg

What a PERFECT opportunity to wear your dress again and get some great honeymoon photos!

I buy almost all my clothes on ebay now. I buy brands that I am familiar with how they size their garments, BUT I also alter many of them. Not because they are improperly constructed, but more because I am! :D

So, if you don't sew, I'd mentally include an alteration charge when you price clothes. I'm not sure what you are paying, if anything, to return them, but is it much more to have them altered? Just a thought.

The dress was a bust. It had a tear along a side seam and the zipper was so sticky I thought I was going to break it trying to get the dress off. I emailed the seller with pictures of the tear and the seller refunded my money and told me to keep the dress. Unfortunately, I don't think the dress can be saved due to the unraveling of the fabric at the tear.

I've decided to just order a grey dress from Penneys. At least I can exchange it if it's too small.

That's too bad and I am sure very disappointing - at least you were dealing with a good seller and got your money back - too bad the dress can't be saved!:(

Yes, the returning of the clothes starts getting costly. Everytime I have to return an Ebay item I mentally tell myself that "this is a hobby and people spend money on hobbies." Kooky, I know. :p

I was an ebay power seller for many years selling dresses and if someone returned dresses frequently I would ban them from buying . It is also expensive for the seller especially if they offered free shipping .

We're in the same boat there (no pun intended)! I don't usually buy dresses on ebay but I do know what cut flatters enough to take a chance on. I was very lucky recently to find a white Chaps knee length eyelet dress for my daughter's birthday which was a "white party". The dress was new with tags $100 and fit me perfectly! Scored for $20! But I do Know the challenges with that size 6 top and 8 bottom:mad:

I don't doubt you one bit. The past 4 or 5 dresses I've purchased off Ebay haven't worked out. In the past, I'd just eat the cost and give the dress to a thrift store. This time I've returned them, though I end up paying shipping both ways, particularly if the shipping was free initially.

I've put on about 8 pounds over the past couple of years and the size 6 I used to wear is now a size 8 in my hips, but still a size 6 up top. It makes dress buying much more difficult. I can still wear a 6 depending on the manufacturer, but anymore I simply have to try on clothes. Boo!! :(

Edited by Princessmich

If I buy a dress on eBay, I will only buy if there are measurements. Sizes vary so much by brands and can even vary in the same brand so just going by a size is risky. I've bought quite a few dresses and have never had to return one.

I have things in three different sizes that all fit so the actual number doesn't mean much. I am tempted to wear the smallest of those sizes with the tag on the outside.:D:D:D

If I buy a dress on eBay, I will only buy if there are measurements. Sizes vary so much by brands and can even vary in the same brand so just going by a size is risky. I've bought quite a few dresses and have never had to return one.

I have things in three different sizes that all fit so the actual number doesn't mean much. I am tempted to wear the smallest of those sizes with the tag on the outside.:D:D:D

I hear ya! Only I have a size 10 butt (sometimes 8) and a 12-14 top. Makes dress buying very difficult. However, I'm not sure how many years it's been since I wore a dress. Separates ate the way to go in my case. (Hi Collette!)

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya! Only I have a size 10 butt (sometimes 8) and a 12-14 top. Makes dress buying very difficult. However, I'm not sure how many years it's been since I wore a dress. Separates ate the way to go in my case.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rule of thumb is to buy to fit to the bigger part of your body and then have it altered to fit the smaller.

• 2 weeks later...

Love both the dresses, fyree, and they are great for cruising. They are cut in a style that is flattering to a variety of body types.

Ross really varies by store. The one closest to me is dreadful but I visited one in San Francisco (while on a cruise) which was 5 or 6 floors of heaven! It was packed to the gills while the one near me has more empty floor space than merchandise. I keep going back because every once in a while I find something and you can't beat the prices.

Hi,

Already posted this elsewere but thought it might be Best here to get as much feedback as possible.

I'm going on a 14-night HAL cruise (Greeece, Italy and a few more countries).

I am still debating if I'll bring a dress for every night (3 gala nights and the rest are normal) or if I'll leave some dresses at home in favor to some mix-and-match skirts and tops. No matter what I'll bring, I'll probably rewear the dresses/skirts during the day too as they are nice dresses but not proper "evening dresses" (except for the 4 dresses at the top left that would n't work for day time).

I I would like your opinion on my dillemma or the dresses themselves, all input is welcome.

The black dress at the bottom right is too casual for dinner but I'll likely miss dinner the first night anyway as I want to explore Athens and ship sails at 11pm.

P.s. I also have an array of casual to fancy cardignans/boléros/wraps

IMG_20160831_175413.jpg.cf57aa4fb3c639a1f34b40df7be7dc14.jpg

Edited by jp2001

Love both the dresses, fyree, and they are great for cruising. They are cut in a style that is flattering to a variety of body types.

Ross really varies by store. The one closest to me is dreadful but I visited one in San Francisco (while on a cruise) which was 5 or 6 floors of heaven! It was packed to the gills while the one near me has more empty floor space than merchandise. I keep going back because every once in a while I find something and you can't beat the prices.

If you didn't live in Virginia, I'd think we must be shopping at the same Ross! I am so envious of all the good "finds" that seem to be at other locations. I'll have to check out the SF location next time I'm there.