What do you think.. should I complain ?

Astona

No, you have no right to complain. RCCL is not obligated to publicize ports and fares on your timetable. Shopping pricing is always a crapshoot. Be thankful for your blessings, your blood pressure will appreciate it.

It's kinda like buying a $10 t-shirt and seeing the same shirt for $8 at the next store. You say "%&*#" and you get over it.

If jewelry buying was your intent, the right thing to do would have been to go talk to the port shopping guide on your own. I'm not flaming you...I just don't think you have a complaint here.

Ok, so they go thru all the shops etc etc. My hubby and I get off the ship in Grand Cayman and he buys me this ‘OGM’ totally beautiful 24.8 ct. tanzanite tennis bracelet. It has 32 .75 perfect IC round AAA tanzanite’s, ELG cert and all. TOTALLY beautiful. It has actually appraised / replacement here in the states for over 3 times what we paid for it, which I almost couldn’t believe but I was added it to my insurance policy so I needed to know its real value.

What does OGM mean? Is that the brand? Doesn't matter much, but I was reading it as a type for OMG.

You may not like many people's responses on here stating they are 'rude' but your original message comes off a bit pretentious, IMO. Probably would have received different answers if you just simply said... "Bought a tennis bracelet in GC", instead of 'bragging' about the IC/ELG/LMNOP-ness of the piece of jewelry.

I am also curious if Cozumel had the same bracelet at the same price (including tax), therefore you really would have received it for 8% less.

Well OP -- if you've been to all those RC shopping seminars, I'm sure you've heard them say (as they do every time): "If you see something and you like it, BUY it!" The shopping guides' explanation is always that the next island may not have the item of jewelry (or whatever), at any price. I guess you learned that the converse is also true. You might very well find what you want at the next port (or your local jewelry store at home) at a better price.

In response to your question, I see absolutely no point in complaining now, if the shopping guide onboard your ship was unable to help you. The only positive thing you might suggest to Corporate is that the shopping guides return to their old format -- including all the ports' shopping info at one early presentation. In the meantime, enjoy your beautiful piece of jewelry (and your wonderful hubby who bought it for you)! :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

Should YOU complain? Nope.

Should your HUSBAND complain that he bought you an expensive piece of jewelry and you come on CruiseCritic to whine about him possibly spending a little more that he MIGHT have needed to spend in a later port? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

It's kinda like buying a $10 t-shirt and seeing the same shirt for $8 at the next store. You say "%&*#" and you get over it.

If jewelry buying was your intent, the right thing to do would have been to go talk to the port shopping guide on your own. I'm not flaming you...I just don't think you have a complaint here.

That's about it. It happens all the time.

Not to mention the exact same piece likely wasn't going to be found in Cozumel anyway. She got the one she loved and it's worth 3 times what she paid.

She should sell it for 3 times what she paid, take another cruise, and buy another one in Cozumel and come out ahead. :D

Gina

Do I have a right here to be mad ?

No.

FYI Jewelers in the US will amost ALWAYS appraise things much higher than what you paid. They don't want to tell you that you didn't get a "great" deal. Though there are often good prices in the Caribbean, they are rarely as good as what the US jeweler will "appraise" them at, they're just telling you what you want to hear. Great for the insurance companies by the way.....

Edited by bouhunter

Guys and Gals, there is no need to jump all over the OP here. She simply ask a question and hoped for some civil replies.

Love all the extra self appointed moderators :p

Edited by BillOh

No joke! She should start a shop here and continually buy/re-sell them for massive profit.

Exactly! I've always gotten a laugh about the posts here from people who bought jewelry on a cruise that was "appraised" at 2-3X the price when they returned home. If it was true, we could all just cruise for free every year buying in the Caribbean and selling at home:rolleyes: Surprising how that just isn't happening when it shoud be so easy with all those incredible bargains!:D It's amazing how many people buy into their "local jewelers" "appraised value's" and don't realize they're just being told what they want to hear.

Ok, I have a dilemma and I am not sure how to handle it. First of all, I am not sure if everyone knows that if you make a purchase from Diamonds International in Cozumel, you can get almost 8% back from the city by filling out a form and handing it in before you leave.

So last month my hubby and I went on a cruise and we had 4 cabins total, we are D+ and take our adult kids on a cruise each year. They love RCCL as much as we do or did. I go to all the port and shopping lectures to make sure I get the best deals; my hubby likes to buy me pretty sparkled things.

We attend the first port and shopping lecture and it was on Jamaica and Grand Cayman. They said that they will do the Cozumel talk the morning we get off the ship at Cozumel. So it’s all fresh.

Ok, so they go thru all the shops etc etc. My hubby and I get off the ship in Grand Cayman and he buys me this ‘OGM’ totally beautiful 24.8 ct. tanzanite tennis bracelet. It has 32 .75 perfect IC round AAA tanzanite’s, ELG cert and all. TOTALLY beautiful. It has actually appraised / replacement here in the states for over 3 times what we paid for it, which I almost couldn’t believe but I was added it to my insurance policy so I needed to know its real value.

ok, so we get on the ship, and enjoy our day at sea, and get ready to hop off in Cozumel. That morning we go to the Cozumel port and Shopping lecture. And the guide says, you will love shopping here, the values are amazing … if you make a purchase at Diamonds International here you get almost 8% back on your credit card. Shopping here is the best !! No one can beat the prices here with the almost 8% back.

I almost passed out. Are you saying that had I bought my tennis bracelet here instead of at Grand Cayam, I would have gotten almost 8% back ???? REALLY ?? I am the type who would wait and make sure that I get the most for my money. So I was really upset when I found this out.

Don’t you think that they are holding that info back from us. Its like not telling us so we don’t wait and shop in Cozumel instead of the other ports?

I was so mad, afterwards the port and shopping guide told me that they purposely hold that info back in case they (Cozumel) decided to change the policy at the last minute and RCCL doesn’t give out bad info; they that confirm it before they share that info so we don’t get off the ship with incorrect information.

What a bunch of crap. They purposely held that info until that morning so we would spend all our money on the other stops and then spend more on Cozumel.

Do I have a right here to be mad ?

I'm a little confused as to why you are mentioning D+, also having 4 cabins and taking your adult children on a cruise every year have to do with your jewelry purchase?

You have a piece of jewelry that you absolutely love, enjoy wearing it and forgot about the 8%.

Exactly! I've always gotten a laugh about the posts here from people who bought jewelry on a cruise that was "appraised" at 2-3X the price when they returned home. If it was true, we could all just cruise for free every year buying in the Caribbean and selling at home:rolleyes: Surprising how that just isn't happening when it shoud be so easy with all those incredible bargains!:D It's amazing how many people buy into their "local jewelers" "appraised value's" and don't realize they're just being told what they want to hear.

Oh, so true. A friend purchased an estate piece diamond ring for over $6,000 and it appraised for twice that which is the industry "norm". However, when she decided to sell it a couple of years later she was offered only $2,500 by a very reputable jeweler. Among other things, he noted that the cut (marquise) was out of style and just wasn't selling.

I have two questions for the OP - did you find the identical piece at DI for the identical price and was the 8 % rebate on the purchase price or only the tax? Oh, and one more I guess - was the tax rate the same on both islands?

One question...what is "tanzanite"?

Isn't it that stone there will be no more of in 25 years? I seem to remember hearing that 5 years ago. I find it interesting that it hasn't gotten down to the 20 year mark yet. The numbers have remained the same each time I've heard about it. Year after year.

Stock up before it runs out.

Gina

Oh, so true. A friend purchased an estate piece diamond ring for over $6,000 and it appraised for twice that which is the industry "norm". However, when she decided to sell it a couple of years later she was offered only $2,500 by a very reputable jeweler. Among other things, he noted that the cut (marquise) was out of style and just wasn't selling.

I have two questions for the OP - did you find the identical piece at DI for the identical price and was the 8 % rebate on the purchase price or only the tax? Oh, and one more I guess - was the tax rate the same on both islands?

Good point. There are no taxes in Grand Cayman. Which probably makes the savings better right off the top. I'd actually feel much more comfortable about a purchase in Grand Cayman than I would in Cozumel.

Gina

Wow I really thought this board was for people to talk to other cruisers and get advise, I really wouldn't have thought people would be so rude in their replies.

I am just lost for words, even if you didn't think I had any ground to complain, you didnt have to be rude and attack me personally. Sad that people act like this. I hope no one treats you all this way.

When I started reading this thread I was just sure the second post of the OP would be a complaint about nobody agreeing and calling People rude. CC just never disappoints;)

Why oh why are People rude, just because they don´t support the OP:confused:

you do realize that the port shopping people are contractors, not RCI employees right...and that all the "recomended " stores pay millions to be recomended?

that said...you got a great deal...should you be mad? maybe. But you had a budget for your item and you got an item that appraised at a higher value...might be best to just not continue to dwell on it...

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

When I started reading this thread I was just sure the second post of the OP would be a complaint about nobody agreeing and calling People rude. CC just never disappoints;)

Why oh why are People rude, just because they don´t support the OP:confused:

I'm not sure if I am supposed to detect sarcasm here, but I think there are always diplomatic ways to disagree, which sadly some folks here don't always exhibit. I don't think the OP really has a right to complain, but I also don't think it's necessary to blame her for the situation. I tell my kids that some things just are, and spending your energy finding someone to blame is usually non-productive if not just mean. It's a lesson we can all benefit from.

How's this?

You do have every right to be upset, but I don't think you have much to stand on in terms of a complaint. I think we all have different experiences where we might have gotten a better deal elsewhere. I do think it's a ploy to hold that information to end, but it's also the same when you go to buy that new car and they don't tell that tomorrow they are offering $1, 000 cash back.

Sort of sucks, but it's all marketing. Someone suggested possibly doing a little research ahead of time and that's actually good idea. It also helps if maybe you start a thread giving folks a heads up so future shoppers will know that on that itinerary, wait until Cozumel. You can help the next shopper that comes along :)

Hope that helps...hopefully I presented it in a way that you don't feel it's rude in anyway. These aren't always the friendliest boards ;)

Edited by slyster

Isn't it that stone there will be no more of in 25 years? I seem to remember hearing that 5 years ago. I find it interesting that it hasn't gotten down to the 20 year mark yet. The numbers have remained the same each time I've heard about it. Year after year.

Stock up before it runs out.

Gina

You mean they haven't run out yet??? :confused::p