With all the recent changes of RCI ships - how do you feel now?

How do you now feel about your future cruising loyalty with Royal Caribbean?  

476 members have voted

1. 1. How do you now feel about your future cruising loyalty with Royal Caribbean?

• My loyalty to RCI is gone
    • I will shift to another cruiseline for future cruises
    • I will stay the course with RCI
    • I can't even describe how angry I am about the RCI ship-switching
    • The recent news doesn't change anything here
    • Carnival here I come

What concerns me? The decline in the last 4 yeArs of the quality of service in our staterooms, in the dining room, and in the bars. It is also spilling over to their shore side relations (horrible website, long hold times, and slow responses to issues).

This is a concern for us as well. 18 months and 12 months ago we cruised on Disney Fantasy and were quite impressed by the superb service we received. Our last two cruise on Freedom were as good as Disney, full of fond memories. Out last two cruises on Allure were remarkable only for the many service issues we experienced. Central Park 150 was by far the best meal we have experienced at sea but that is one night of 14 and 6 nights were some of the worst dining experiences we have had in our many 18 cruises.

Um, I still hate the polls people post here...

um, yeah, this one sucks too.

just sayin

jc

....and yet....those who complain about one thing seem to always have time to complain about anything they don't like....hmmm....

Nice thing about polls...they are voluntary.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Im not going anywhere. Oasis class cruises are finally getting down to my budget now and Im dying to try one of those ships.

I just hope in 5 or 6 years or so, the same thing will happen with the Quantum class and they will move one to Port Canaveral or Port Everglades. I do not fly to catch a cruise ship. My only exception would of course be an Alaskan cruise and thats on the bucket list

I agree with this. We were booked on the Oasis 2 years ago but had to cancel it for our family of 4. It was just out of our budget plus to fly yet. We are going in November. Got a boardwalk balcony for $2700 for the four of us. 2 years ago it was like 2 grand more. Years down the road we will consider the Quantum or Anthem if it is down.

How 'bout Norwegian here I come?

I voted for The recent news doesn't change anything here because I'm already unhappy with the changes Royal Caribbean has made prior to the ship shuffling. I wondered how many people cancelled their cruises on Quantum (and Anthem) due to the announcement of Dynamic Dining and the elimination of the Traditional Dining/Main Dining Room.

The Quantum class is designed for colder weather, with more indoor venues. With a 3rd Quantum class ship in the works, perhaps sending one to China was part of the plan further down the line.

With the news about Quantum unable to call on Bermuda and disappointing news about Dynamic Dining, maybe it moved things up with China.

Liberty of the Seas is still an improvement over Explorer of the Seas, and Bayonne will get another Quantum class ship (Anthem) the following winter. When the 3rd Quantum class ship arrives, maybe then Anthem will then depart from South Florida.

All I know is that Norwegian is now a viable option for me in the future. Still looking forward to my 2 upcoming Royal Caribbean cruises.

Edited by TM38Rob

Is not directly related to the changes, but they did have an effect, based on the cruises we planned to take in 2015.

Let me put it this way. 2015 will be the first year since 2004 that our "primary" vacation will not be a cruise. For the first time in many years, our big vacation will be an all inclusive. We LOVE cruising, but Royal Caribbean no longer has the edge over land vacations for us. We're still excited for our Royal Caribbean cruises this year, but the bad itineraries and lacking quality doesn't seem to suit us anymore :(. It's a shame because their ships are unparalleled.

We usually do one 4-5 day all inclusive and two Royal Caribbean cruises every year. Next year we will do two all inclusives and one Celebrity cruise.

Just our feelings.

Doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I am happy they are shifting more away from Florida and the Caribbean. I am tired of the Caribbean and need a break to cruise different regions.

I certainly agree, though I got to say the Caribbean was never something I got excited about.

It Looks like the poll quite clearly tells that the CC outrage about the changes is just irrelevant to the majority.

How 'bout Norwegian here I come?

I voted for The recent news doesn't change anything here because I'm already unhappy with the changes Royal Caribbean has made prior to the ship shuffling. I wondered how many people cancelled their cruises on Quantum (and Anthem) due to the announcement of Dynamic Dining and the elimination of the Traditional Dining/Main Dining Room.

The Quantum class is designed for colder weather, with more indoor venues. With a 3rd Quantum class ship in the works, perhaps sending one to China was part of the plan further down the line.

With the news about Quantum unable to call on Bermuda and disappointing news about Dynamic Dining, maybe it moved things up with China.

Liberty of the Seas is still an improvement over Explorer of the Seas, and Bayonne will get another Quantum class ship (Anthem) the following winter. When the 3rd Quantum class ship arrives, maybe then Anthem will then depart from South Florida.

All I know is that Norwegian is now a viable option for me in the future. Still looking forward to my 2 upcoming Royal Caribbean cruises.

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but you say the News about Dynamic Dining is disappointing (which I agree with btw), but then you say NCL is now a viable Option for you. NCL´s Freestyle is exactly what RCI calls Dynamic Dining. No MDR and many small(er) venues with or without Charge. I´ve tried it and hated it.

Point to ponder...

The cost comparisons between gaining a new customer and retaining an existing one - marketing, promotional revenue concessions, etc. - are different.

While this is NOT a scientific poll by any means...if the cost of gaining a new cruiser is significantly higher than the cost to retain a loyal one...and there is evidence that this is indeed the case...

It brings into question even considering any business case validity to the decision based on the "price paid" from the negative backlash of the recent RCI decision. The math metrics would be interesting to learn someday.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

NOS is coming back home also having a Radiance class in Ft Lauderdale as well I am beyond being thrilled.

We are just thrilled that they are keeping a ship in Galveston we love the voyger class and willl learn to love the freedom class too. We were looking at plane tickets to go to Florida to try Freedom any way so the higher room price will still be less for than flying with 4.

Gail

Interesting that almost 21% are negative towards RCI. I would not have expected it to be that high.

Agree...and the % is actually rising each day...

Thought perhaps 10-12% might be the cumulative total having various levels of angst, but it's obviously a larger portion of posters.

Again...this is not a scientific poll...but it does seem to demonstrate there are plenty of people feeling negativity toward RCI based on their ship-change announcement.

As a stockholder I like it

As a cruiser I don't like it

Of course I have no intention of setting foot on one of the Quantam ships because of their new dinning plan! So don't know if I even count?

Would like to see one of the Voyager class come back since they are sending the new ships to Asia.

I fully expect that by 2017 at least one if not more of the Oasis class will go to Asia,

Interesting that almost 21% are negative towards RCI. I would not have expected it to be that high.

Have you ever considered that the percentage is high because the options could be slightly biased to the negative side rather than a fair poll?

Have you ever considered that the percentage is high because the options could be slightly biased to the negative side rather than a fair poll?

Then again...the opposite could be true...the poll choices may have hit a home run for accuracy with voters. That's part of what makes it non-scientific, as well as the fact that only those who feel the need to take the time to vote actually do it...

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

A few things to consider about the poll results, being that is unscientific, the answer options may be biased, and anyone registered here can vote....

1) anyone can vote, so that means people who don't care might be trolling the poll results, resulting in an inaccurate distribution of answers.

2) the cruise critic population is likely not statistically representative of the cruising population as a whole. Those who participate on cruise critic tend to be more vocal about their opinions and less "average", so odds are the average cruiser's vote is not represented at all.

3) In these types of polls, which are based on some perceived "outrage", usually those that feel slighted tend to participate more and voice their opinion more. Those that don't care enough to even read the thread ignore the poll entirely. Because of the way the votes are solicited, the voting count is more likely to be skewed toward a negative bias.

I'm sure I missed a few other points about the caveats of reading anything into these poll results.

I for one am not surprised at 20% negativity, given what I said in points 2 and 3 above (heck, even point 1 to some extent).

Edited by nolesrule

Then again...the opposite could be true...the poll choices may have hit a home run for accuracy with voters. That's part of what makes it non-scientific, as well as the fact that only those who feel the need to take the time to vote actually do it...

Well i was talking more about the fact that the options provided are somewhat similar. Losing loyalty in RCI, moving to Carnival etc. are options that aren't very different. Also the fact that there is no option to vote: "Yes i am happier with the news" or something along those lines.

I for one am not surprised at 20% negativity, given what I said in points 2 and 3 above (heck, even point 1 to some extent).

Your points are well taken.

That said...from insider information posted elsewhere...RCI is getting a mitt full of negative posts all over the Internet and blogs as well as complaint e-mails, calls, and even letters on this issue.

Rest assured, it's a major PR problem, and one that will affect future RCI revenue for some time. For others...the reaction is MEH.

The real message from this poll is that participants share many of the same feelings as those being expressed in the other communication channels, and RCI can't just poo-poo blowing off the feedback (unless they want to encourage defections to competitors).

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

That is true, but we also must consider that there are probably a lot of votes on the positive side simply because this is an RCI message board.

Rest assured, it's a major PR problem, and one that will affect future RCI revenue for some time. For others...the reaction is MEH.

If ships continue to sail full, there's no revenue problem. The average customer has never been on a cruise before. They aren't going to care about most of these perceived "issues", because they aren't going to know about them. And even if they do find out, why are they going to care that a ship that was supposed to go to NJ is going to China instead?

New loyal customers emerge from the "average" customer all the time when someone goes on their first cruise and gets bitten by the cruising bug.

I honestly think this is making a mountain out of a molehill. If I was RCI, or even any other cruise line, I'd be much more concerned about the publicity on major news sites regarding noro outbreaks having an affect on revenues than any of this other stuff which is not making news on major news sites.