Opting out of the auto tip

On our last cruise we had the choice and I always opt out of auto tips. I prefer to tip as I go, but I can't remember how you opt out. We are sailing on the Allure in July, can someone refresh my memory on the process?

I've been told that if you opt out of auto gratuities.

Then you still get the bill at the end of your cruise.

For example, my upcoming cruise I have to prepay my gratuities,

We have three people and it's a 10 day cruise.

$4649.79 is the price of the cruise.

$376.20 is the gratuities amount.

In Australia we do not normally tip, it's just not what we do, so almost $400 is a lot for us to pay ontop of what we are already paying For the cruise.

I would love to know, if anyone has opted out of the gratuities, and what was the end result?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Australia we do not normally tip, it's just not what we do, so almost $400 is a lot for us to pay ontop of what we are already paying For the cruise.

I would love to know, if anyone has opted out of the gratuities, and what was the end result?

In the USA tips are expected (as you know). They are not included in the service as in other counties. If you opt out, which I'm not sure you can do anyway if you prepay, you are taking money out of the pockets of those who serve you.

Edited by SeaUs

From my understanding, if you opt out of the auto gratuities, the cruise line expects your severs to be claiming the cash tips you plan to give instead. Those cash tips go right back into the same pool to be distributed as if you left the auto gratuities there to begin with.

I like to just leave them there and tip a little as I go to the main people serving me.

I realize that it seems extreme to those from non-tipping countries. Maybe you could just think of it as part of the cruise fare. If you don't tip the workers, they don't get paid much at all. We've always felt that the outstanding service warranted the recommended gratuities...and often more.

While tipping is not customary in Australia it is customary in many parts of the world & on cruise ships. Just like waiters, bartenders & hotel maids in the US for whom the majority of their income comes from tips, the same is true of the waiters, bartenders & cabin stewards on a ship.

When you remove the tips you have in effect taken away a significant part if their income. If you had bad service that would be cause to adjust the tip but if you received good service it seems unfair to penalize the employee .

No matter where you reside, the $400 is the same for everyone. Each of us can make the same "is a lot for us to pay."

Australia, USA, Canada, Chile, France, Hong Kong, whatever.

There are no distinctions made based on the tipping practices of country of origin.

Please understand that when you are at sea on RCCL, you are subject to the customs and expectations of RCCL, not Australia.:)

As many Australians are not used to tipping (totally understandable in Australia as servers are paid a minimum of $18 ph which can ratchet up to $40+ on public holidays), a lot do not realise that the cruiselines basically use the gratuities as the mainstay of the crew's earnings.

This is why gratuities are automatically added on to the fare for Australian passengers. It would be better if they stopped calling it a gratuity and called it a service charge.

As many Australians are not used to tipping (totally understandable in Australia as servers are paid a minimum of $18 ph which can ratchet up to $40+ on public holidays), a lot do not realise that the cruiselines basically use the gratuities as the mainstay of the crew's earnings.

This is why gratuities are automatically added on to the fare for Australian passengers. It would be better if they stopped calling it a gratuity and called it a service charge.

NCL does call it a service charge and not a gratuity. I agree that RCCL should probably do the same thing.

I was a bit fuzzy on the pre paid gratuities this last cruise (Jan 2014) and said no I like giving cash to the people in person. I like to be personable. So I did not do the pre paid. When I was on the ship the gratuities were added to my on board spending account on a per day basis. I went and talked to the guest relations and they said there is no way to track if you really pay in cash or not and that some "personel" might not share all the cash.

My point of disagreement which I didn't argue but made sure they knew how I felt was if my cabin steward is beyond amazing which he was I gave him a little extra where as a certain bartender that I came to know was horrible and would ignore guests and make sub-par drinks I would give a little let. In my opinion which everyone has one, I will pay you what you are worth, even if your not great you will still get a tip since its one of your main incomes but you can count on not getting anything above, if you work hard and do your best I will make it worth your wild and show that you have earned it.

So now knowing how it works you either pay before you go pre-paid or you pay at the end of your cruise on your account I will pay before and take the extra in cash for those who earn it.

Personally I much prefer the prepaid gratuities. I do agree that all lines should refer to it a service charge or just make it part of the cruise fare. I still tip in person for good service even after prepaying tips. Those workers do a great job in my opinion and most have great attitudes towards passengers.

As other people have pointed out, if RCCL paid its service people the same as Australia pays its service people, you would be paying the $400 anyways---it would just be included in the cost of your higher priced cabin. Either way, those people are going to get paid a fair wage---through tips or through an hourly wage---but both options would be paid by the cruiser somehow.

Think of it as $12 per day (a little more than the cost of a glass of wine) for everyone who serves you in every dining establishment and your cabin. A every small sum indeed. It means the difference between getting paid and not to these people and not much to you - if you can't afford the minimum gratuity, then maybe you can't afford to cruise at all.

Of course you can always tip extra to those who go above and beyond - but why do I feel you have no intention of doing that? And to the OP - what do you mean by tip as you go? Just bring lots of cash and hand it out each day? Sounds kind of dumb to me or is this your way to avoid paying even the bare minimum?

My own personal opinion is that if you feel that you cannot afford to tip the expected amount, then you cannot afford the cruise. Tips are a part of the overall cost of cruising. No matter what your own culture is regarding tipping, it is an expected expense when you are on a cruise. Budget for it, or choose a land based vacation in your own country where tipping is not expected.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I really dislike hearing about people who want to shaft the cruise ship workers who are busting their butts to give you a great vacation.

Note - my comment was directed at those sailing from non-tipping cultures, not at the OP.

Edited by cello56

i just pre pay my tips now its just so much easier and if we have a great bartender or server we give them some extra money at the end. Also I give the room service people a tip too. I figure if you pre pay it then you dont have to worry about paying for it at the end of the cruise

The OP didn't say they weren't going to tip. They prefer to tip in person. What is wrong with this? I didn't have to pre-pay tips at booking if I chose a set time for dinner. We never eat in the dining room. I initially chose Anytime Dining, but then was told I'd have to prepay the tips now. I don't want to do this. So, I chose a dining time (which we won't use) and the tips will be added on to our sail and sign card while onboard. This is fine for me. I just don't want to prepay it now. The ease of tipping up front is great for some, tipping at end of cruise is good for others (me) and in person should be fine too.

So now knowing how it works you either pay before you go pre-paid or you pay at the end of your cruise on your account I will pay before and take the extra in cash for those who earn it.

People don't get that you aren't paying your server per say with your tips. The tips are pooled and then divided. The best way to make sure a good server gets whats due is to pay them with cash directly and let the prepayments pay like they automatically do. That way, the basic tip (auto or prepaid) is part of the pot for everyone, but that little extra is theirs because of their specific hard work. If you remove the auto tips you are hurting all of the staff not jus the bad server.

So you are telling is that if the cruise fare had been $5025.99 you would not have booked because $400 breaks the bank? Really?

Lets break it down. $376.20 /3 = $124.50 / 10 days = $12.45pppd. How much does a stubby cost or a glass of wine in a bar in Australia to put it into perspective.

As others have said, you are going to America and when in America you do what is expected in America......

Edited by little britain

1) My personal opinion is that people that choose to opt out of Pre-Paid tips do not tip, or tip very little. Shame on them is this is true.

2) When eating in the WJ do you pick up your own dishes, wash them, and clear the table for the next diner? Waiters in a normal restaurant share their tips with bussers and dishwashers.

3) I think that those who feel the need to hand the tip personally to those who serve them are trying to impress. I don't really believe that they care about the servers. They are just trying to look like a big shot.

4) 12 dollars a day for 3 meals and housekeeping is cheap!

5) I also imagine that if you choose to opt out of pre-pay, that the server/housekeeper that you do tip would not make any friends if they did not offer to share it with his co-workers if they recieved nothing from you!

5) Don't come on CC and try to justify your actions.

The OP didn't say they weren't going to tip. They prefer to tip in person. What is wrong with this? I didn't have to pre-pay tips at booking if I chose a set time for dinner. We never eat in the dining room. I initially chose Anytime Dining, but then was told I'd have to prepay the tips now. I don't want to do this. So, I chose a dining time (which we won't use) and the tips will be added on to our sail and sign card while onboard. This is fine for me. I just don't want to prepay it now. The ease of tipping up front is great for some, tipping at end of cruise is good for others (me) and in person should be fine too.

A few points

1. The VAST majority of people that opt out of tips do not tip or tip very low. This is a heavily tracked metric by the cruise lines. They are well aware of people's tipping habits and this has been an established issue for a long time.

2. When you remove your tips and tip in cash, the person you tip is REQUIRED (under threat of losing their job) to turn that cash into the pool. So there really is no difference between prepaying, paying the auto charge and tipping in cash unless, of course, you don't plan to pay at least the suggested amount. Anything about the suggested amount is for the tipped crew to keep.

3. The dining staff rotate between the different venues. So even if you never eat in the MDR your tips are going to serve you at breakfast, snacks lunch and wherever you eat dinner. Unless of course you mean to suggest you go an entire cruise without eating anything?

I think pre-paid grats was the best thing the cruise line did. Now I don't have to make sure I have money set aside at the end of the cruise to stuff in envelopes and chase people around to give it to them.

I do know people who cancel their auto gratuity when they get on board. I guarantee that although they say they are tipping in cash, they do not. I never see these people hand anyone any money. I can't account for what might be left in the cabin for the room attendant.

Also, before boarding we cash in some large bills so we have lots of singles (one dollar bills). We are able to tip additional to those along the way we feel are providing good service.

They don't make much money, and it's not fair if you are deciding who you feel is entitled to your tip. Those people that you may not be tipping also have to pay out their service support people. So you are cheating many people by not tipping with the system they have in place.

Edited by ksuds

I disagree with opting out of paying gratuities automatically.

One of the reasons is that the crew members that lunk your suitcases, clean the public toilets, hallways and attend to your pool needs are part of the Housekeeping staff that share in the automatic gratuities. Almost forgot those that clean the cabins on turn around day that are not cabin attendants.

I also agree with others here that most who withdraw from the auto gratuity program fail miserably in compensating all of the service staff. I don't care how well intentioned one might be, some on the workers are getting shorted because of this!!!

Edited by Scotty G
add and clarify!!!

You can go to Guest Services once onbaord and request that automatic tips be removed from your account. I cant remember if they send envelopes to your room still or not. Hope this helps

Thanks Racefan, this is what I was looking for.