Island restaurants question

hmtsai

It will be our first time cruising with Princess. Are there only two main dining restaurants on Island, Provence for traditional and Bordeaux for anytime? So if we choose traditional, we will go to Provence every evening for dinner. Is that right?

I was wondering because last time we were on Disney Wonder, and there were three main dining restaurants. We got seated to a different MDR each night rotating throughout our journey. Eating at the same location every day might be a little boring. :confused:

So if we choose traditional, we will go to Provence every evening for dinner. Is that right?

You are absolutely correct. If you have traditional you will go to Provence every night for dinner when you want to eat in the MDR.

We loved Island Princess and hope you enjoy her as much as we did. :)

LuLu

The Traditional dining room is deck 6 mid-ship, the Anytime dining room is deck 5 mid-ship. The decor in both is very similar or exactly the same, or else I've never noticed any difference. Princess dining rooms are not big open dining rooms but are sectioned so they have more of a restaurant feel. The menus change nightly.

Don't forget to try the specialty restaurants on the Island to change things up. If you like spicy food, try Bayou Cafe and there's the Italian place called Sabatini's too. There's also the HC (Horizon Court buffet), room service and pizza, burgers, bratwurst, hot dogs, veggie burgers and fries by the pool. If you try some of the other venues, it won't seem so monotonous.

The Traditional dining room is deck 6 mid-ship, the Anytime dining room is deck 5 mid-ship. The decor in both is very similar or exactly the same, or else I've never noticed any difference. Princess dining rooms are not big open dining rooms but are sectioned so they have more of a restaurant feel. The menus change nightly.
Pam, You are correct that the two DRs are essentially the same. If you were at the same table in one DR one night and then in the other DR the next night you couldn't tell the difference. On any given evening the menu is the same in both DRs. On the Grand or Royal class ships the aft DR used full time for traditional dining has a different layout than the two midship DRs but the Island (and the Coral) only have the two mid ships DRs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Also, don't forget to try the "Crab Shack". It's held in a sectioned off portion of the Horizon Court. The crab and shrimp were yummy and we were serenaded by the ships staff. At $20 per person, it is well worth the price.

Everyone who posted here is correct. But, the last time we were on the Island Princess there were some early seating traditional diners assigned to the dining room on deck 5. So, check your cruise card for the correct DR. It will be the same room, same table, same waiters every night.

Thank you all for your responses. Now I know what to expect for my upcoming cruise on Island. :)

Another question:

My route is Alaska northbound. Anyone knows which day is formal night? Is it possible the menu with Alaskan crab legs? My family plan to travel light with airline restrictions and probably would like to skip MD at formal night. Does the buffet offer crab legs too?

Does anyone else think that 5:15 is extremely early for traditional dining? This will be our first Alaskan itinerary.

We were originally told 6, then 5:45 which is booked.

We are on a wait list for 5:45.

While not opposed to anytime dining, we have found the service very slow for some reason.

Let me reiterate, a recent RCCL anytime dining was a wonderful experience. We were treated as royalty and we certainly are NOT :):)

also off the Island a few days ago. We had fixed dining in Bordeau dining room although Provence is fixed. So many people in our dining room

fixed . Guess the request for fixed was more than one dining facility could handle.

Try the Bayou Cafe specialty restaurant. Loved it, better than Sabatinis.

Even had a taste of Alligator ribs, delicious. Lots of incredibly good main course choices.

Thank you all for your responses. Now I know what to expect for my upcoming cruise on Island. :)

Another question:

My route is Alaska northbound. Anyone knows which day is formal night? Is it possible the menu with Alaskan crab legs? My family plan to travel light with airline restrictions and probably would like to skip MD at formal night. Does the buffet offer crab legs too?

7-day cruises have two formal nights. It's been a while since we've done the Alaskan cruise, but if there's two sea days (other than the first or last night), those will be the formal nights. The first day Patter will have the rundown for the whole cruise as to which ones are formal and which ones are smart casual. The specialty restaurants are smart casual every night. Don't know if the Horizon offers crab legs as I'm allergic.

Sometimes you can wear a dress shirt and tie (man) and cocktail dress (woman) on formal nights. Just ask the head waiter what they can by. If a no, you should be able to get a delicious dinner elsewhere on the ship. If you want to go with a specialty restaurant (even with the cover charge), the head waiter will book it for you.

Another question:

If you all are dressed "nicely" (slack's, a collared shirt, a skirt and blouse, etc.) you'll have no problem going to the dining room on Formal Night. Yes, there will be people in tuxes (not so many anymore) and "prom" dresses, but as long as you're not in short's and a T-shirt, you should be okay. (Really, I've seen people in short's and T's come in late on Formal Night!)

If you want crab leg's, go for it!

I have worn docker pants and a long sleeved shirt with collar many times in the MDR on formal night and never have had a problem. You will see men in tux, suits, sport coats, shirt and tie and shirt only. On our two AK cruises I wore a sweater over my shirt as it was cold in the MDR so beware. Since I was going to AK and a self guided tour, I wore my hiking boots every night which saved having to carry along a pair of shoes.

You will be going to Ketchikan (site of the "bridge to nowhere") which gets 200 inches of rain per year. It just might rain! Other pointer is take layered clothing so you can add/reduce as needed. It will likely be cold on the way up and in AK. Glacier Bay with the glaciers all around was very cold!

No crab legs in the HC.
There are crab legs available for a $20 surcharge if they are offering the Crab Shack in the HC. I believe that is the crab legs the prior poster referenced.

You can also pay $24 for one King Crab leg at Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

I have worn docker pants and a long sleeved shirt with collar many times in the MDR on formal night and never have had a problem. You will see men in tux, suits, sport coats, shirt and tie and shirt only. On our two AK cruises I wore a sweater over my shirt as it was cold in the MDR so beware. Since I was going to AK and a self guided tour, I wore my hiking boots every night which saved having to carry along a pair of shoes.

Thanks for the tips. So hiking boots are okay in MDR even on formal nights? I don't want to carry an extra pair of dress shoes with me. Maybe a nice sweater and pants (not jeans) and hiking boots work fine on MDR.

I'm also wondering what drinks are free to order at dinner. Junice? Coffee? Tea? I think soda is not included on Princess. And where can I find self-serve water and drink stuff? I heard it on a higher deck, but don't know exactly where it is.

Thanks for the tips. So hiking boots are okay in MDR even on formal nights? I don't want to carry an extra pair of dress shoes with me. Maybe a nice sweater and pants (not jeans) and hiking boots work fine on MDR.

I'm also wondering what drinks are free to order at dinner. Junice? Coffee? Tea? I think soda is not included on Princess. And where can I find self-serve water and drink stuff? I heard it on a higher deck, but don't know exactly where it is.

You will be allowed into the dining room on formal nights dressed informally but you'll be in a very small minority. It's up to you whether you're comfortable standing out like that.

Free dining room beverages include iced tea, coffee, decaf coffee, tea and decaf tea. Juice is free in the dining room only at breakfast. The "Soda & More" card for about $8/day/pp includes unlimited soda, mocktails, juice, etc. anywhere on the ship. It can be very much worth getting if you drink soda and/or juice, or want a Virgin Mary, for instance.

There are crab legs available for a $20 surcharge if they are offering the Crab Shack in the HC. I believe that is the crab legs the prior poster referenced.

You can also pay $24 for one King Crab leg at Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Be aware that King Crab is NOT in season during the summer. Tracy's will be serving you the same frozen crab legs you could buy at home.

We had first seating, back of the dining room, left side as you enter. SAM was out waiter!!! WONDERFUL SERVICE. Ate at Sabitini's first formal evening and it was GREAT!! 14 nights we enjoyed our dinner, but would choose anytime for our next cruise because 515pm was too early and we missed sail aways!

We had first seating, back of the dining room, left side as you enter. SAM was out waiter!!! WONDERFUL SERVICE. Ate at Sabitini's first formal evening and it was GREAT!! 14 nights we enjoyed our dinner, but would choose anytime for our next cruise because 515pm was too early and we missed sail aways!

We're booked for first seating too, as late dinner just don't work with kid. Now I'm thinking to change to anytime.

I believe check-in time is 12:00-3:30 and sail away is 4:30. Then when is the lifeboat drill? Do we need to rush for our dinner at 5:15?

Be sure to try Bayou for dinner one night. Don't be fooled by the name. The steaks there are very good. We enjoyed sitting by the rail and listening to the jazz (low key) while having dinner.

In the MDR on Formal nights the dress is much less formal (like it or not) than it once was. DH tells me on our next Princess in January he will no longer take his tux which he actually sort of likes to wear but he can do that to things at home.

Plan to have a wonderful time!

LuLu