Collector (or b2b) new benefits

Billthekid

Just finished a 21 day Caribbean Collector Cruise on the MS Masdam. In the cabin was a list of exclusive benefits for the whole cruise. Some good, some not used. The list:

1. Free extra shot with any coffee purchase in the Exploration Café. Not bad, but staff was confused on how to apply it to the bill. Several times had to be corrected, but, Barista could not do it so had to go to front office to correct.

2. Exclusive Wine Lover's Package for only $10 pp per day. This too was confusing. Told it was 13 bottles, then told it was six glasses a day PP. So for 21 days the cost would be $420. As a 4* the wine packages is a better offer, $129 for seven Navigator bottles x 3= $387.

3. 1000 bonus points for slot machine play. That is $10 cash plus two tickets for drawings. PS I won some glass thing.

4. Receive 20% off of first treatment, 30% 2nd, 40% for 3rd for services in the Spa. This got very confusing, between 4* discounts, and defining what was a treatment we never used it. Staff said tells us what you want and we will work something out.

5. Receive mystery discount up to 25% at the Signature shops. Mystery never showed up. 4* used to get discount on Holland Logo Items. Not any more. Only embroidery items and only those selling for full price. Tee shirts with logo don't count.

6. Receive 10% off excursions of two or more. Not bad.

7. Buy one 10 x 7 photo and get second 50% off. Excludes "formal" photos.

8. Purchase 250 internet minutes for $100 and get 250 additional free. That makes it 20 cents a minute which is reasonable. Most ports had Wi-Fi free when you bought something.

9. Get a free bingo card with the purchase of a 3 or 6 card package. A total of 4 or 5 cards.

10. 20% off Landry

11. 20% off bottle wine in the main dining room. That just covers the 15% service charge.

So overall some good and some not so. It is better than those coupon books. Staff said this was the first time that it was offered on the Masdam

Thanks for posting.

Seems like lots of confusion and also seems like they are giving benefits they already 'gave/sold' to suite guests and four/five star mariners. You'd think they could provide benefits without duplication of what some have already paid for. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting.

Seems like lots of confusion and also seems like they are giving benefits they already 'gave/sold' to suite guests and four/five star mariners. You'd think they could provide benefits without duplication of what some have already paid for. :rolleyes:

Yes, rather than degrade the benefits for suites and Mariners, HAL needs to recruit some people with fresh ideas to brainstorm new incentives or benefits ... unless they also have plans to enhance the suite and Mariner offerings.

Five star Mariners get discounted internet minutes...... now they will give them away.

Suite guests have included laundry that is paid for included in their fare. Now they will give it away.

Wine Navigator package discounts for Four Star/Five Star Mariners. Giving it away.

I'm tired of paying for things and then be told they are being given to me. :rolleyes:

I've heard no plans to enhance suite or Mariner offerings. They keep 'double dipping' and literally taking away from some of us.

Please try hard to resist the elitist cracks some folks are prone to attack.

Anyone who is honest with themselves, will probably agree if you paid for 85+ cruises and 'bought' the level of Five Star Mariner, you would not like being told you are getting a benefit for that loyalty when, indeed, they are giving it to what could be a first time cruiser who booked a b-to-b. If you cannot see that point of view, so be it.

Edited by sail7seas

Yes, rather than degrade the benefits for suites and Mariners, HAL needs to recruit some people with fresh ideas to brainstorm new incentives or benefits ... unless they also have plans to enhance the suite and Mariner offerings.

I'd be more than happy to provide them with a list of enhancements they could provide Suite guests and others for high level Mariners. I have no special degrees in marketing and am hardly creative but it doesn't take a genius. :eek:

I 'get it' they are a for profit company but they need to try harder to find benefits without duplication. Some can be intangible and not 'cost' dearly sought/saved dollars.

Thanks for posting.

It really seems like they're not thinking this through. Eventually they're going to erode the value of of booking a Neptune Suite at normal fare. (Okay, maybe not eventually.)

We're boarding Zuiderdam tomorrow for a B2B. Will be interesting to see if any of these are offered.

We will be boarding a "bit" late due to "deep cleaning" (Noro on board).

and apparently now a CDC inspection.

It will be interesting to see if these are rolled out. I'll take some internet minutes anytime :D

Sail, you are a treat!! Don't ever change :D

I'd be more than happy to provide them with a list of enhancements they could provide Suite guests and others for high level Mariners. I have no special degrees in marketing and am hardly creative but it doesn't take a genius. :eek:

I 'get it' they are a for profit company but they need to try harder to find benefits without duplication. Some can be intangible and not 'cost' dearly sought/saved dollars.

Five star Mariners get discounted internet minutes...... now they will give them away.

Suite guests have included laundry that is paid for included in their fare. Now they will give it away.

Wine Navigator package discounts for Four Star/Five Star Mariners. Giving it away.

I'm tired of paying for things and then be told they are being given to me. :rolleyes:

I've heard no plans to enhance suite or Mariner offerings. They keep 'double dipping' and literally taking away from some of us.

Please try hard to resist the elitist cracks some folks are prone to attack.

Anyone who is honest with themselves, will probably agree if you paid for 85+ cruises and 'bought' the level of Five Star Mariner, you would not like being told you are getting a benefit for that loyalty when, indeed, they are giving it to what could be a first time cruiser who booked a b-to-b. If you cannot see that point of view, so be it.

I have to say, 20% off laundry is not "giving it away."

These incentives are not being given to everyone on every cruise. While some of them have been earned by those who have "put in their time and money" (and I agree with you, they have been bought and paid for), providing a few incentives to those with the time, and money, to book Collector's and B2B cruises and not just your "run of the mill" 7 day Alaska or Caribbean cruises, hardly seems to me to diminish their value to me.

Sail, I would love to hear these ideas.

A bunch of us could email the mariner's society and support them:D

So is the shorex discount when paying for two persons to go on the excursion or when a solo buys 2 excursions? Or are solos going b2b exempt?

The deal as I understand it is the offer was made to each participants in the cabin. So I got the discount and my spouse also got the discount. The discount was also applied to our excursions we booked on their website on a retroactive basis.

The deal as I understand it is the offer was made to each participants in the cabin. So I got the discount and my spouse also got the discount. The discount was also applied to our excursions we booked on their website on a retroactive basis.

very helpful info - thank you:D

Sadly, I suspect HAL feels they no longer need to woo high level Mariners nor those who book suites, or even verandahs, at a fair price. They are taking those passengers for granted, delusioned into believing those folks are hooked and won't be moving on to other lines.

Perhaps HAL is looking for ways to increase bookings so they don't have to fire-sale berths as the sail date approaches ... add some goodies here and there to encourage bookings. It is possible that the staff charged with coming up with these b2b goodies are working independent of those who put together the suite and Mariner programs, so the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Yes, HAL is a for-profit ... and I wonder if they are having problems filling the ships and, at the same time, writing black ink. Witness the 3rd and 4th fee (or nearly so) promotions. If they offered more favorable pricing when schedules are released, they might not have to go into such promo pricing and goodie offering as departure date approaches.

So, in a nutshell, I think HAL is trying to beef iup bookings, revenue, profit.

What enhancements would you suggest for suite guests, and high level mariners?

I have to say, 20% off laundry is not "giving it away."

These incentives are not being given to everyone on every cruise. While some of them have been earned by those who have "put in their time and money" (and I agree with you, they have been bought and paid for), providing a few incentives to those with the time, and money, to book Collector's and B2B cruises and not just your "run of the mill" 7 day Alaska or Caribbean cruises, hardly seems to me to diminish their value to me.

I agree.