What makes HALs room service club sandwich so special?

What's so great about the Holland America club sandwich? Where do I begin?

I guess a little background is in order. While I try my best not to take too much work on vacation with me, I found myself needing to complete a major proposal on a recent cruise. So, while my wife and our friends went off to the pool one sea day, I stayed behind in the stateroom to work on the computer. I found myself suffering from writer's block, unable to make any progress on this very important proposal. At about one o'clock in the afternoon I realized that I was pretty hungry. While we often order room service breakfast, and occasionally order dinner from room service, I don't recall ever ordering lunch and having it delivered to our room.

I decided to order a

from room service so that I wouldn't lose time going to the dining room or the Lido. Poring over the room service menu, I saw the Club Sandwich. -- Remembering how people raved about it on Cruise Critic, I decided to order it. I also ordered a pot of coffee, hoping for a little pick-me-up.

I went back to writing my proposal, or more accurately, attempting to write it.

I was still stuck. A few minutes later, there was a knock at the door.

When I answered, the smiling room service steward greeted me and said, "Good afternoon, sir POA1! I have your lunch for you." (I really appreciate that the room service waiters make every attempt to call you by name.) After tipping him the appropriate amount[1] that one should for a lunch delivery, I left the room service tray on the coffee table and went back to my computer so I could save my work.

[1]
Tipping amount
:
I'm not falling into that trap. It doesn't matter what I wrote here, someone would be offended by it or feel the need to chime in with a comment about how the tip was too high, too low, or how you shouldn't tip at all because you already paid $X for the cruise.
This is a story about the Club Sandwich. No sidetracking!

I saved my proposal, or at least what I had so far, and put my computer into sleep mode. I walked over to the sofa and sat down. I poured myself a cup of coffee - black - and took a sip. It was okay... certainly not what I would consider a great cup of Joe, but I had a lot of work to do and needed a caffeine boost.

It was then that I noticed a faint golden glow emanating from the cloche covering my lunch plate. As I lifted the silver cover[2] from my plate, I could have sworn I heard a faint noise, not unlike an angelic chorus. A burst of golden light bathed the room as I removed the cover from the plate.

[2] Yes, I know it's stainless steel, but it's silver colored.

I picked up my coffee cup and took another sip. It was the most memorable, and the finest cup of coffee I had ever tasted! This was weird.... Just a moment ago, I could have sworn that the coffee was weak and tepid. But now it had an amazing, robust flavor - the most intense, powerful berry aroma I've ever encountered, literally filling the room with sweet Java goodness, Each sip was a lengthy journey through an experience that my palate has never since encountered. The intensity and complexity and refined power of the tight, clear, refined blueberry, raspberry and jasmine flavors and aromas completely overwhelmed me.

I wept.

I picked up my club sandwich and immediately felt a small surge of energy shoot up my arms. I wasn't quite a shocking jolt. It was more like a fast-moving, pleasant, tingly feeling. As I surveyed my club sandwich, I immediately noticed the fresh baked bread. It was soft, yet crusty... somewhat akin to the best sour dough bread San Francisco has to offer.

Magnificent!

My eyes then moved on to the lettuce and tomatoes...

I read every word. And I so love your posts.

But what about the bacon???????

That makes everything better

Please, sir POA1, may we have another...??? :D

Who cares about the bacon, the lettuce, the tomatoes...... After the angelic music and the magical coffee...Tell us about the proposal you had to write...... :D

(Something tells me he's just getting warmed up)

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I am not a fan of club sandwiches, they have 50% too much bread. Give me a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich or a ham and Swiss cheese on rye.

I agree, no fan of them. DH likes club sandwiches, but even he wouldn't order one if it had white bread.

I am not a fan of club sandwiches, they have 50% too much bread. Give me a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich or a ham and Swiss cheese on rye.

Now your're talking....a BLT....my all-time favorite. :)

Speaking of BLTs, I have a wifely dilemma. My DH recently had another bleeding ulcer attack and is on a very strict soft food diet for 3 months while the ulcer heals. I'm doing all the meal planning, cooking and pretty much eating along with his meal plan for dinner. Lots of soup, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, etc.

Here comes the dilemma. Summertime dinners for us always mean at least 2 nights a week, sometimes 3, of BLT's and corn on the cob. Unfortunately he is now not allowed tomatoes of any kind, lettuce or any raw veggies, and no corn. Do I sit at the same table with him eating my BLT and ear of corn or do we eat separately? Depriving myself of a BLT is not an option. Before you say I'm the 'B' word, I'll add that all the huge ulcer attacks, including removing part of his stomach, he's had for 50 years have been of his own doing because he refuses to follow doctors' instructions. Maybe eating my BLTs right in front of him while he has mashed potatoes and ground turkey is what he needs?

I can't believe this thread is still going but that's OK - I personally like the room service Club Sandwiches - my memory is probably slipping but I don't recall it having the third piece of bread. If it does, we always remove it as I agree too much bread in the traditional club sandwich.

I can't believe this thread is still going but that's OK - I personally like the room service Club Sandwiches - my memory is probably slipping but I don't recall it having the third piece of bread. If it does, we always remove it as I agree too much bread in the traditional club sandwich.

It is still going because we are all waiting with bated breath for the end of the story. Lettuce and tomatoes ................

For sure it has 3 just like every club sandwich I've ever seen:confused:.

I read a few posts on this 87 post thread to see what warrants so many posts on what appears to be such a inane topic. Am I missing anything? Is there something about posts on sandwiches that I do not get?

DON

You can pick the type of bread it comes on.

Thanks, I saw somewhere in this thread that it comes on white bread. Makes sense that you could choose. In that case DH would probably try it -- not me though. Now a BLT, that sounds great. :D

Speaking of BLTs, I have a wifely dilemma. My DH recently had another bleeding ulcer attack and is on a very strict soft food diet for 3 months while the ulcer heals. I'm doing all the meal planning, cooking and pretty much eating along with his meal plan for dinner. Lots of soup, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, etc.

Here comes the dilemma. Summertime dinners for us always mean at least 2 nights a week, sometimes 3, of BLT's and corn on the cob. Unfortunately he is now not allowed tomatoes of any kind, lettuce or any raw veggies, and no corn. Do I sit at the same table with him eating my BLT and ear of corn or do we eat separately? Depriving myself of a BLT is not an option. Before you say I'm the 'B' word, I'll add that all the huge ulcer attacks, including removing part of his stomach, he's had for 50 years have been of his own doing because he refuses to follow doctors' instructions. Maybe eating my BLTs right in front of him while he has mashed potatoes and ground turkey is what he needs?

My ex husband could eat and eat without ever putting on an ounce. I've been fighting my weight since I took my first breath even though I exercise a lot and eat fairly healthy. Every night he would eat a huge bowl of popcorn. I would have loved to do it but I can't get away with it. Sometimes we have to put our big girl or boy pants on a realize we can't eat certain things. I say enjoy it.

Thanks, I saw somewhere in this thread that it comes on white bread. Makes sense that you could choose. In that case DH would probably try it -- not me though. Now a BLT, that sounds great. :D

I had rye bread.

I read a few posts on this 87 post thread to see what warrants so many posts on what appears to be such a inane topic. Am I missing anything? Is there something about posts on sandwiches that I do not get?

DON

You don't have to read it.

DON

HMMMMM -- tough answer as you will get lots of answers to this.

We like sandwiches made fresh -- not made up hours before.

And others seem to be lucky to get them mad fresh -- maybe they were lucky or maybe they are not picky.

Maybe treat him the way you would want to be treated if the roles were reversed? what if you had skin cancer from not using sunscreen [or some similiar lapse in good sense] would you want him to flaunt his tan and flawless skin in a thong in front of you while you wear at caftan at the pool?!!

but I can't stay married, so I shouldn't say anything!!!

Edited by Mytime2014

Where was I? Oh yeah....

My eyes then moved on to the lettuce and tomatoes...

Living in Florida, we're blessed with excellent produce. A tomato has to be pretty special to impress me. The tomato slices on the Holland America Club Sandwich were richly colored fruit, gleaming with sunshine, just begging to be eaten. The lettuce was a mosaic of leafy rosettes, cool, crisp, and crunchy.

The turkey was fresh, juicy, and roasted to perfection. The ham was delicately smoked, succulent, and flavorful. I know people had raved about the Holland America Club Sandwich on Cruise Critic. Now I knew why. In short, this club sandwich was everything you could hope for in a lunch... and so much more.

HAL-club-sandwich.jpg

I took a few bites of this fantastic sandwich and then paused to sip my now amazing coffee. The sandwich was so delicious that I quickly gobbled down half of it. I then returned to my work.

I guess my hunger must have contributed to my mental block, because now that I had some sustenance, writing became a whole lot easier. My fingertips flew across my keyboard and I finished my proposal in short order. Since I wanted to send my proposal off to the client, I figured that I should give it a quick check using Microsoft Word's built-in spelling and grammar checking function. I pressed F7 to kick off the spell check.

Imagine my surprise when Clippy, the Microsoft Office Assistant appeared on the screen. I thought that he had been retired with Word 2003 (Word 2004 for you Mac users.) Clippy complimented me on my writing skills.

clippy.jpg

I saved the proposal and toggled on the wireless radio switch on my laptop. My machine connected to the ship's Internet quickly. I fired up my e-mail client so that I could mail the document to the client. The Internet seemed a little faster than usual, probably because most people were enjoying a beautiful sea day at the pool, or taking in some of the many activities. Just for the heck of it, I decided to run an Internet Speed Test. I got 384 Mbps downstream and 178 Mbps upstream. Since that's pretty decent speed for satellite service in the Caribbean, I decided to download "The Hunger Games" in HD from Amazon to watch later. I disconnected, having used 7 minutes from my Internet Package, and shut down my computer.

I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. I managed to bang out my project proposal, send it off to my customer, and I still had some time to meet DW, DSIL and DBIL at the pool. I wrapped the remaining half of my club sandwich in a napkin and placed it in the mini-fridge. I figured that I would have it for a late afternoon snack once I got back from the pool.

I changed into my swimsuit, grabbed my Blue & White Striped Holland America ("Don't Lose it or it's $27.50") beach towel, my cell phone, and headed to the Lido pool....

Edited by POA1