Caught on Independence with liquor in room

I have had my own liquour on last 20 or more cruises on several differnt lines and never had a issue, but it is not allowed , I normally did not have it in plain sight, or had it in another type of bottle.

Ok I learned something on our last cruise. We had a pint of scotch and a pint of rum in our checked baggage that made it to our room. On the 3rd day it was removed from the shelf it was sitting on. We had a notice that stated it was not allowed and any unopened liquor would be returned the last night of the cruise.

I asked our steward what happened as I assumed he reported us. He said he did not. He also said what happens is when your refrig is checked if they see liquor sitting out they remove it. Well I did not know that someone other than your steward came in to your cabin to check your refrig! He also told me I should have hid it. Regardless it was returned to us in spite of the fact neither bottle was sealed. Lesson learned.

Glad the lesson was learned!

Ok I learned something on our last cruise. We had a pint of scotch and a pint of rum in our checked baggage that made it to our room. On the 3rd day it was removed from the shelf it was sitting on. We had a notice that stated it was not allowed and any unopened liquor would be returned the last night of the cruise.

I asked our steward what happened as I assumed he reported us. He said he did not. He also said what happens is when your refrig is checked if they see liquor sitting out they remove it. Well I did not know that someone other than your steward came in to your cabin to check your refrig! He also told me I should have hid it. Regardless it was returned to us in spite of the fact neither bottle was sealed. Lesson learned.

I usually take some rum on a cruise. I put it in a white Lavoris bottle and keep it in the bathroom SSSHHHH...:)

Joe

Agree:D:D

Add to that subbed and chair hoggers

CL and DL chair hoggers

Q jumpers

Bad manners

Etiquette failures

Obnoxious guests

Tip stiffers

The list goes on!

If it's not a serious health hazard, few policies get strictly enforced unless they hurt RCI's bottom line.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The exception does not disprove the rule. Just because others got away with bringing their own booze doesn't mean you won't be the one who gets caught.

Besides your room steward, many other people can get in your room. In fact, I'm going to start another thread about this, just out of interest.

Edited by TBone2K

There is no crying in cruising.

Too funny, and where the heck is the like button!

I will have to remember this, since I had a water bottle from bar in the chiller, and at one point I think I had 2 beers in there from again the bar, but pretty sure it was after dinner, so they would most likely not be in there then. I think Thomas had done the room during the day. I kept the original vodka pt in the cabinet.

I ran into the bar checker the last morning and said I never used anything out of it other than the stuff I brought from the bar. I would not of been happy if they had taken the beers. Thankfully the bartenders were good about serving another beer when the one wasn't finished, so I could head back to the balcony and enjoy the sunset.

There is no crying in cruising. Turn off the waterworks!

I don't think threatening that your dad can beat up their dad will work either.

If, by chance, you were implying that you would threaten the cruise ship employee with physical violence... good luck with that. It's a good way to get the boot from a ship or something more serious back on land. Especially over something that you were doing wrong in the first place.

And if he meant giving money in exchange for his booze back why not just pay for the booze on the ship in the first place? Regardless, I wish him luck with his "friendly" persuasion what has worked for him many times in the past.

Like the dress code in MDR ? :p. I couldn't help myself. Sorry

The dress code is suggested..not bringing liquor onboard is policy...two entirely different subjects...Sorry I couldn't help myself either...Cheers :p:D

And if he meant giving money in exchange for his booze back why not just pay for the booze on the ship in the first place? Regardless, I wish him luck with his "friendly" persuasion what has worked for him many times in the past.

Gary Cooper.

;)

We have always had liquor of some sort left out in open on every cruise.

Nobody has ever messed with it.

I would be pissed if that guy took it.

Then would find him and confront him about it...

Love it. :D "Give me back my liquor that I wasn't supposed to bring on the ship." Let us know how that works out. It could win best thread. :D

Haha, ain't that the truth! "How to get thrown off the ship" in one easy lesson!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Not to offend any of the rule checkers in here but, I think sneaking on alcohol is a part of the fun... Everyone knows that nervous feeling knowing there is alcohol in your bag and then you wait around to see if it arrives and then you're officially on vacation. Sneaking alcohol onboard is nothing new and definitely not something should look down on you for, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not to offend any of the rule checkers in here but, I think sneaking on alcohol is a part of the fun... Everyone knows that nervous feeling knowing there is alcohol in your bag and then you wait around to see if it arrives and then you're officially on vacation. Sneaking alcohol onboard is nothing new and definitely not something should look down on you for, IMHO.

We were just having a little fun at Mat2000's expense. Sorry Mat, if I ever see you on a ship I owe you a drink. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have always had liquor of some sort left out in open on every cruise.

Nobody has ever messed with it.

I would be pissed if that guy took it.

Then would find him and confront him about it...

I really hope you are joking about confronting someone for doing their job.

I do not sneak alcohol and do not like the idea--but if you want to, go ahead--but don't get mad if you get caught and lose the drinks.

Simple solution...inform room service you have emptied your frig and placed all items in a drawer, that you will be using the frig for medications, water, drinks you purchase legally/within their rules (I go to a bar get a bucket of beer and like to have it in the frig), whatever. They will not bother you. Place items you remove back in frig the night before you leave, request room service come and check...done, problem solved.

This is new info for me -- never realized that the minibars were regularly checked. We never use any of the items inside, so I guess it didn't occur to me. We have always taken some liquor with us, and it's sometimes sitting out and sometimes inside a cabinet. Have never had anyone remove or comment about it. So, just to be clear: if I want to inform someone that we will not be using any of the minibar items, who should that someone be? Tell the room steward when you first see him/her, or make a call to room service? And should this be done the first day? It's often difficult to get anyone in room service on embarkation day...

This is new info for me -- never realized that the minibars were regularly checked. We never use any of the items inside, so I guess it didn't occur to me. We have always taken some liquor with us, and it's sometimes sitting out and sometimes inside a cabinet. Have never had anyone remove or comment about it. So, just to be clear: if I want to inform someone that we will not be using any of the minibar items, who should that someone be? Tell the room steward when you first see him/her, or make a call to room service? And should this be done the first day? It's often difficult to get anyone in room service on embarkation day...

I'd try the stateroom attendant first. Sometimes they do it themselves, or say it can't be done, or tell you to contact the bar staff.

Some people have reported good luck with removing all the items and leaving a note on the cooler as to the location. We've put the items on our closet before.

We were just having a little fun at Mat2000's expense. Sorry Mat, if I ever see you on a ship I owe you a drink. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will Mat2000's owed drink be one purchased from a ship bar, or one served from your smuggled stock? :rolleyes:

Where are all the people saying OP should have been left in a port to fend for themselves:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks OP for your public service announcement AND being brave enough to announce it here.

It's too bad that you can't order a bar set up for your cabin on RCL. Maybe less people would smuggle if they offered this service. I don't like the idea that if you buy the package you have to go to the bar to get a drink to enjoy on your balcony. What if you want two drinks? I understand that you can only order one at a time.