With high prices and bad reviews why sail celebrity?

Loyal2Royal1995

........What is the Celebrity product? It is, overall, (at least in my opinion) the absolute BEST bang for the buck available in the cruise line industry......I can't stay at a Motel 6 and eat three meals at Burger King (let alone get free elite drinks) for the $45/day average cost of my 89 days on Celebrity.

MSC Divina out of Miami is aggressively attracting those like yourself (myself included) with unheard of bargains. Seven day balcony for $299! If you are anywhere near Miami give Divina a try and report back with your comparisons. We have sailed Divina twice and consider her the best value afloat, however we are looking to Celebrity to compare and some Celebrity offerings are nearly as good, but harder to find within our schedule.

MSC Divina out of Miami is aggressively attracting those like yourself (myself included) with unheard of bargains. Seven day balcony for $299! If you are anywhere near Miami give Divina a try and report back with your comparisons. We have sailed Divina twice and consider her the best value afloat, however we are looking to Celebrity to compare and some Celebrity offerings are nearly as good, but harder to find within our schedule.

The 7 day balcony for $299 deal is long gone. :( There are still sailings that offer $299+ inside cabins. Still a remarkable deal considering the high quality entertainment and beautiful ship (those things nearly everyone agrees about. Other factors including service, food, disembarkation procedures, etc are heavily debated). I'll also note that the prices of various alcohol/wine packages and coupons on MSC are a steal.

We're trying it in September,

The 7 day balcony for $299 deal is long gone. :( There are still sailings that offer $299+ inside cabins. Still a remarkable deal considering the high quality entertainment and beautiful ship (those things nearly everyone agrees about. Other factors including service, food, disembarkation procedures, etc are heavily debated). I'll also note that the prices of various alcohol/wine packages and coupons on MSC are a steal.

We're trying it in September,

I am reading this about $299 for a week and laughing. Why, because I'm finalizing my annual road trip for July and am thinking that it would have been a lot less expensive to just take a cruise, even though my dog could not go. Where can you go for a week for $299 or $399 or even $2,000 and stay in a top hotel, have free meals with free iced tea, have free aftivities, have free entertainment, etc.

I am reading this about $299 for a week and laughing. Why, because I'm finalizing my annual road trip for July and am thinking that it would have been a lot less expensive to just take a cruise, even though my dog could not go. Where can you go for a week for $299 or $399 or even $2,000 and stay in a top hotel, have free meals with free iced tea, have free aftivities, have free entertainment, etc.

Exactly the reason we booked the MSC cruise. The incredibly low prices for wine and alcohol may save us a few bucks from our usual restaurant and bar prices!

Exactly the reason we booked the MSC cruise. The incredibly low prices for wine and alcohol may save us a few bucks from our usual restaurant and bar prices!

Certainly understand, my next Celebrity cruise is about 1/3 the amount of my upcoming road trip....still say, I should have gone on a cruise.

I have not sailed with Celebrity in 8 years. We enjoyed our Infinity cruise, but wanted to try other lines as well, and have done so. We periodically think about going back to Celebrity, although we would not prefer the Solstice class ships.

I am interested in knowing, from Celebrity loyals, what specifically defines this concept of "Modern Luxury", "higher end of the market," "upscaleness", "step up in ambiance," etc. that I read about on this and other threads. This image gets referred to a lot, but never really defined. I am still wondering, "What is the Celebrity product?"

Anyone care to plunge in with specifics? I would particularly value the views of those who have sailed other lines as well, and can make comparisons. However, I am not interested in smear campaigns against other cruise lines.

Also, is the "best" of Celebrity (as you define it) reserved for the Solstice class ships, or does it extend to the Millennium and Century classes as well?

Any takers?

Luxury used to means the best that money can buy. Business men realized that they can make a killing offering entry level luxury products to middle income consumers by licensing designer names and producing them in China to be able to sell them at a middle income price. So to me Modern Luxury is a watered down version of luxury which pretty much sums up what Celebrity is all about. It is just a mass market product claiming luxurious status. I feel that I have had a much more luxurious experience in 1986 on the Carnival Holiday than I do now on Celebrity or Princess. I'm not complaining as I pay a lot less now than I did in 1986 so I understand why the experience has diminished. All I ask for now is is clean ship, mediocre food and a clean comfortable place to sleep. To me the only difference between NCL, Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are the demographic, dress code and ships activity. None of them are luxury lines and none of them are a garbage barge.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I have cruised on 5 different cruise lines and Celebrity was by far the best for service and food. It will have to be a free trip to get me back on Princess. Everyone will look for something different when they vacation and it is great that we have so many choices.

Luxury used to means the best that money can buy. Business men realized that they can make a killing offering entry level luxury products to middle income consumers by licensing designer names and producing them in China to be able to sell them at a middle income price. So to me Modern Luxury is a watered down version of luxury which pretty much sums up what Celebrity is all about. It is just a mass market product claiming luxurious status. I feel that I have had a much more luxurious experience in 1986 on the Carnival Holiday than I do now on Celebrity or Princess. I'm not complaining as I pay a lot less now than I did in 1986 so I understand why the experience has diminished. All I ask for now is is clean ship, mediocre food and a clean comfortable place to sleep. To me the only difference between NCL, Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are the demographic, dress code and ships activity. None of them are luxury lines and none of them are a garbage barge.

Instead of taking such a defeatist attitude, spend what you used to on your "luxury" Carnival cruises (that's a joke, right?) and cruise the luxury lines. If you want luxury, you can still have it, but only at prices that compare with what a "luxurious" cruise used to cost in 1986.

Edited by swsfrail

Yes, Andy, I had the same conversation. I don't understand how they can cultivate an image of Modern Luxury by turning the ship into summer camp. I am taking the wait and see approach but I am also concerned.

I get the feeling that someone at Celebrity corporate thinks that turning X into a modified version of a frat house will attract the age demographic they seem to covet, the 25 to 40 age group.

But Andy, could you expand a bit more on these supposed entertainment changes? Are you talking about production shows, or the daytime activities like trivia? Or do you see X going more like the sophomoric activities like stuffing your bathing suit with ping pong balls?

If these changes revolve around the silly Liquid (too much like the Cirque shows, which failed miserably) or like the totally silly performance we recently saw on Equinox where wigged performers took over the glass elevators, restricting anyone from taking them (my DH is wheelchair-bound and it was frustrating to have the elevators taken over by these very silly "dancers"), these changes do not scream luxury to us, but only desperation.

Edited by cruisead

Instead of taking such a defeatist attitude, spend what you used to on your "luxury" Carnival cruises (that's a joke, right?) and cruise the luxury lines. If you want luxury, you can still have it, but only at prices that compare with what a "luxurious" cruise used to cost in 1986.

Have to agree with the Carnival comment. Luxury and Carnival are two words that do not go together. I don't find X to be luxury but it certainly is on a higher level today than Carnival ever was.

I get the feeling that someone at Celebrity corporate thinks that turning X into a modified version of a frat house will attract the age demographic they seem to covet, the 25 to 40 age group.

But Andy, could you expand a bit more on these supposed entertainment changes? Are you talking about production shows, or the daytime activities like trivia? Or do you see X going more like the sophomoric activities like stuffing your bathing suit with ping pong balls?

If these changes revolve around the silly Liquid (too much like the Cirque shows, which failed miserably) or like the totally silly performance we recently saw on Equinox where wigged performers took over the glass elevators, restricting anyone from taking them (my DH is wheelchair-bound and it was frustrating to have the elevators taken over by these very silly "dancers"), these changes do not scream luxury to us, but only desperation.

I have seen those show where dancers use the elevator. They don't last long enough to interfere with someone using an elevator. Also there are other lifts available. Talk about stretching it. By the way those shows are actually fun. ;)

Edited by cruisingator2

Has anyone else noticed that the OP who started this thread and the OP ho started the other recent negative thread have never returned. I would think that under normal circumstances one who starts a thread is really interested in the topic. I must conclude that in these two specific cases the OPs were not interested in meaningful discussion, but rather just stirring up controversy.

Has anyone else noticed that the OP who started this thread and the OP ho started the other recent negative thread have never returned. I would think that under normal circumstances one who starts a thread is really interested in the topic. I must conclude that in these two specific cases the OPs were not interested in meaningful discussion, but rather just stirring up controversy.

Bout normal. Many bit and lined up on the four sides of the issue, because they thought the OP was serious.

There is no reason to keep sailing on Celebrity. I evaluate everything that I do with what I think is the best value for what I want to do. My life, leisure time and travels do not revolve around cruising. It is just another option and does not consume my interests.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

There is no reason to keep sailing on Celebrity. I evaluate everything that I do with what I think is the best value for what I want to do. My life, leisure time and travels do not revolve around cruising. It is just another option and does not consume my interests.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I'm asking this question seriously. REALLY, I am.

What do you intend to do instead?

I'm asking this question seriously. REALLY, I am.

What do you intend to do instead?

We looked briefly at Celebrity for an upcoming cruise. But we found that, with the right itinerary, cruise line perks available on select sailings, and right TA (and their perks), we could sail on Oceania for not much more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We looked briefly at Celebrity for an upcoming cruise. But we found that, with the right itinerary, cruise line perks available on select sailings, and right TA (and their perks), we could sail on Oceania for not much more money.
What class cabin were you comparing it to on Celebrity?

Good question. Especially since we sail in guarantee inside cabins aka as steerage. Of course, this level of accommodation does limit us. To an additional 3-5 vacations a year!

Edited by jkgourmet

Veranda (balcony) on an R class (less than 1,000 passengers and arguably the best cruise food available). With an almost $1,000 cabin price drop, free gratuities, 25% off excursions and more than $500 in OBC plus more than $500 in flight credit (pet person), as well as no charge for all non-alcoholic beverages and specialty restaurants, the bottom line price was pretty close to HAL and Celebrity for a 10 day Alaska cruise when you figured in their similar amenities.

Interestingly, Oceania does a side-by-side comparison in some of its literature to upper end mass market lines and the bottom line is a pleasant surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you look at a cruise lines cost profile from inside up you find there is overlaps between lines.

It is always worth reviewing what your spend will get you on other lines although being unfamiliar with the discounting, deals and amenities can make it a bit of work but you might be surprised what your money can get you.

It won't always be like for like since as you are trading off maybe space for amenities but that is not always the case a basic balcony on a more upmarket line can be similar to the suites on other lines.

A few years back the best priced transatlantic was on Azamara on a door to door costing with air onboard spending etc. and that was at the OV cabin level before you consider that ACC was going to be the better product for many.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm really curious to know how someone who hasn't sailed celebrity in eight years knows that they would not like the solstice class ships. In my opinion those 5 ships are the reason that we continue to sail with Celebrity!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry that I did not get back to this thread sooner, but we had a family situation occur that took me away for a while. You will notice that I did not say that I would not like the S-class ships -- simply that I did not prefer them, meaning my motivation to choose one is low. My preference is for ships under 2000 pax. We opted for a larger ship only once -- our latest cruise, Caribbean Princess out of Houston, and were not happy with the size: something over 3000 pax, just a little larger than the S-class ships. We perhaps look for something in a cruise different than what you look for.

Let me take a stab: There was a podcast that was mentioned on these boards some time ago where a VP tried to describe "Modern Luxury". Perhaps someone can bring back that podcast here. IMHO what Celebrity appears to be doing (and I've said this many times in past posts, forgive me for repeating) is attempting to lure the younger, higher end cruiser. "Modern" would trigger thoughts of" new", "young", etc.. "Luxury" would indicate something plush, exclusive, etc.. Most new announcements have centered on the new Suite upgrades including a private lounge and special restaurant. More specialty dining options for top suites. From reading comments from top suite cruisers on these boards and having discussions with some on the ships, I'm convinced that the appeal is working. Of course the concept has met with considerable controversy. Just look at the number of posts discussing "new perks" and "class system". The concept involves all classes of ships, including Century where passengers in top suites have a private lounge. But, remember Century has been sold prior to the full implementation of the new program. people will like if it works for them, hate it if it doesn't. Some just won't care one way or the other. I'm sure that Celebrity will evaluate and revise the program as necessary. Hope this helps.

Sorry to have been delayed in responding -- family emergency.

Thank you for your observations. What strikes me is that the changes you comment on are probably not designed to attract first-time Celebrity cruisers -- in order to widen the Celebrity passenger base. They seem to me to be changes that would appeal to long time X pax who want to move up to the "suite life." Yet it seems to be the long-time Celebrity pax who complain most about changes -- both to the culture on X and to loyalty perks.

Interesting...

Sorry that I did not get back to this thread sooner, but we had a family situation occur that took me away for a while. You will notice that I did not say that I would not like the S-class ships -- simply that I did not prefer them, meaning my motivation to choose one is low. My preference is for ships under 2000 pax. We opted for a larger ship only once -- our latest cruise, Caribbean Princess out of Houston, and were not happy with the size: something over 3000 pax, just a little larger than the S-class ships. We perhaps look for something in a cruise different than what you look for.

Ohhhh don't make the mistake of comparing an S class to Caribbean Princess. Princess stuck another passenger deck in her doing little to the public space. Solstice never felt crowded to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, I think that I am about as A-typical a consumer as you can possibly imagine. Slick marketing, fancy packaging, media hype, being "in with the in crowd" and flashy ad campaigns do not influence me IN THE LEAST.

In addition to Celebrity, I have cruised with NCL, Princess and Carnival, but I guess some might consider me a Celebrity loyalist, with which I would probably have to agree, as 6 out of my last 7 cruises have been with them. :o

My first Celebrity cruise was also on Infinity and I absolutely LOVED it. Partly because of the 14 night Panama Canal itinerary, partly because of the price, ($799pp) and partly because I thought the food and service, as well as the overall value, were a step up from my previous cruises on NCL. :)

I am curious as to what other cruise lines you have tried, and why you feel you might not enjoy S class ships. I'd also like to recommend that you should at least give them a try. ;)

"Modern Luxury" (to me) is nothing more than a ridiculous and meaningless slogan... dreamed up by marketing and PR types... to try to peddle a product (increase profits) by making it sound more attractive.

It is senseless drivel, hype, propaganda... aimed at weak minded consumers to get them to open their wallets so they can be THOUGHT of (by others AND themselves)as hip, cool, classy, or sophisticated. :rolleyes:

The "after cruise surveys" being emailed by Celebrity to recent cruisers is not only interesting, but very telling, ESPECIALLY in its questions concerning "how I view myself." No wonder shrinks, councellors and "personal life coaches" are such booming areas of the economy.

What is the Celebrity product? It is, overall, (at least in my opinion) the absolute BEST bang for the buck available in the cruise line industry.

Beautiful ships, good food, great service, pretty good entertainment, and absolutely INCREDIBLE *V*A*L*U*E*

I can't stay at a Motel 6 and eat three meals at Burger King (let alone get free elite drinks) for the $45/day average cost of my 89 days on Celebrity.

Getting back to you after an unintentional delay --

You sound like my kind of cruiser -- one who is skeptical of hype. This is really what motivated me to ask for Celebrity cruisers' opinion on this marketing schtick -- to find out if it actually means anything real to those who have cruised Celebrity more recently than I.

Way back in 2006 we chose Celebrity for our first cruise because Douglas Ward, in his book Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships (Berlitz), made it sound like it was the only possible choice for self-respecting middle class cruisers -- those fortunate souls who should understand how blessed they were to cruise at all but who should always understand that they would not be cruising the way they should: on some sort of luxury line that absolutely did not deign to use such things as butter pats and plastic dishes in the buffet area, nor be caught dead not offering a glass of champagne and a personal guide to one's cabin on embarkation day. Celebrity was the only mass-market cruise line that he felt a cultured person could possibly choose, and the one he felt offered by far the most luxury for passengers' dollar. So we went with Celebrity, and thought ourselves pretty special.

I have since found out that D. Ward is an elitist snob whose opinions are firmly planted in the first half of the 20th century, in the long-gone world of the grand ocean liner, and who unabashedly wished that cruising had not become affordable to the "masses." (I, too, had a very old-fashioned and romantic -- even elitist -- view of cruising before we ever cruised, so I swallowed whole everything he wrote.) And yes, since I have now cruised on Carnival, Holland America, and Princess as well, I can see why Ward scored Celebrity higher than most other lines -- there was good value, and a certain luxury, in what we got on Celebrity. However, it was not like sailing first class on the Titanic (well, for obvious reasons, but those aren't the ones I'm referring to.) But we have found great value and varying degrees of luxury on all our cruises.

We had a lovely time on Infinity, and we've had a lovely time on all our cruises, though we have our favorites. So far, our cruising preferences are for ships of not much more than 2000 pax, so S-class isn't high on our list at the moment. But that could change -- especially if Celebrity pax would give me specifics about why I should reconsider these ships.

Also, one specific difference I have read about regarding S-class vs M-class is that the thalassotherapy pool does not exist on S-class. That is a big negative for me (though it may not be for others). If all other things were equal, I would go with M-class for that alone.

But undoubtedly differences in the "demographic, dress code and ships (sic) activity" are fundamental to differentiating among lines, no?