Laundry question!

bottomfeeder

I'm getting ready for my first HAL cruise, and thinking about the clothes I'm bringing onboard. On Celebrity, if you send something to their laundry it gets washed and dried on hot (I suspect) and folded, no matter if you provide different washing instructions or not.

Is that also how it works on HAL? I have many items that need to be washed in cold and some of them must be hung/laid flat to dry rather than put in a dryer. Should I bring some laundry soap and plan to wash them in my sink myself, or will I be able to send them to be laundered with special instructions?

It's possible the HAL laundry will wash your clothes in warm or cold water, but I can't see any possible way that your clothes will be laid flat to dry.

I agree with the others---DIY. Or, leave those clothes home, and take something else.

I would say that everything goes through the dryer on hot. I have always marked on the list "Cold water, please", but who knows what actually happens. There will be a clothesline in your bathroom, and the shampoo they supply is great for your handwashing, so I recommend doing it yourself, too. Anything at all delicate, anyway.

HAL's laundry room where all passenger clothes are washed, dried, and even dry cleaning -- there is no place for them to hang clothes or lay them out flat.

I wash anything that is delicate in the sink.

There is a clothes line over the bath tub. Take your own clothes pins. I always take along a couple of hangers that are coated -- thus no clothes will rust and/or pick up wooden stain marks.

Thanks all. I wasn't expecting they would lay it flat and dry it for me in the laundry, just thinking maybe I could get them to wash it in cold water and send it back to me and I could dry it in my cabin. But I'll be packing the clothespins and laundry soap to be prepared! :)

Hi

Ok small stuff but what about Slacks and blouses there is no way I am going to use a iron.. I don't do it at home and no way will I do it on a cruise. These are my every day clothing. I will not send out my evening clothes. I just bought most of it.. I wll wash those at hom

Mary

Thanks all. I wasn't expecting they would lay it flat and dry it for me in the laundry, just thinking maybe I could get them to wash it in cold water and send it back to me and I could dry it in my cabin. But I'll be packing the clothespins and laundry soap to be prepared! :)

I ask for cold but I don't think they do it. I wash the things I worry about in the tub or sink. I use shampoo or shower gel that Hal provides. It works fine.

Even though we have free laundry I only send things I don't care about.

Instructions??? My husband's handkerchiefs came back all balled up and looking worse than when they were sent out in spite of repeated requests to have them ironed. This was last month on the Zuiderdam.

As a rule, whites come back dingy and colours are off. Fortunately this can be corrected by using colour booster when you get home. What cannot be corrected is the fact that one trip to a HAL laundry will age a garment noticeably. I wonder how they do that?

The only HAL ship we have been on that seems to get it right is the Prinsendam.

I either save the good items to be laundered when we arrive home or wash them myself in the basin. The 'shower stomp' works well on larger items.

My experience with HAL laundry isn't limited to a few days of sailing. We will be five star by this time next year.

Edited by sapper1

Your clothes are not washed individually. So think about it---50 people's clothing is with yours. Hot sounds good to me. Delicate clothes--DIY. I like to plan out my outfits so there only are a few to be laid out flat or DIY.

Instructions??? My husband's handkerchiefs came back all balled up and looking worse than when they were sent out in spite of repeated requests to have them ironed. This was last month on the Zuiderdam.

As a rule, whites come back dingy and colours are off. Fortunately this can be corrected by using colour booster when you get home. What cannot be corrected is the fact that one trip to a HAL laundry will age a garment noticeably. I wonder how they do that?

The only HAL ship we have been on that seems to get it right is the Prinsendam.

I either save the good items to be laundered when we arrive home or wash them myself in the basin. The 'shower stomp' works well on larger items.

My experience with HAL laundry isn't limited to a few days of sailing. We will be five star by this time next year.

What is the shower stomp:D? I'm jealous about the 5 star. That happened quickly. Looks like I better start spending more:D.

What is the shower stomp:D?

Picture the old I Love Lucy episode where she is in Italy, in a huge vat, stomping on grapes to make wine.

Same thing, only it's clothes in the shower (add body wash or shampoo, as desired).

During a Behind the Scenes tour on the Oosterdam, the question of water temperature was asked in the Ship's Laundry. The response was that warm water was used. Most clothing is not ironed but rather placed on a body-like form that is inflated followed by a few-second blast of steam that removes all wrinkles.

We do not send delicate items to the laundry but everything else goes. To date every handkerchief has been ironed, all clothing with the exception of socks and underwear have been on hangers, and not a single issue has needed to be addressed. I even left a money clip with $30 dollars in a pocket and I was contacted to pick it up at the Front Desk.

Clothes pins are included on our packing list for delicate items, wet bathing suits, caps, and thermal underwear.

Picture the old I Love Lucy episode where she is in Italy, in a huge vat, stomping on grapes to make wine.

Same thing, only it's clothes in the shower (add body wash or shampoo, as desired).

Thanks for the explanation. I never thought of doing that. I'm going to have to try that next time. Usually I do the hand swirl technique. Doesn't work very well.

That's pretty much it. :D

As a rule, whites come back dingy and colours are off. Fortunately this can be corrected by using colour booster when you get home. What cannot be corrected is the fact that one trip to a HAL laundry will age a garment ....

Must be that HAL has the same laundry machines as the U.S. Navy -- the T-shirt Yellower, the Button Smasher, the Sock Shredder, and the Mark IV Mod 1 Clothing Cyclotron which acts as a time machine, only forward. :D

But, truly, HAL laundry folks do a pretty good job (and sometimes surprisingly excellent at removing stains), only realize that it is a large-volume industrial operation, so if you really like your delicate item -- don't send it to the laundry, do it by hand.

Dave

Must be that HAL has the same laundry machines as the U.S. Navy -- the T-shirt Yellower, the Button Smasher, the Sock Shredder, and the Mark IV Mod 1 Clothing Cyclotron which acts as a time machine, only forward. :D

But, truly, HAL laundry folks do a pretty good job (and sometimes surprisingly excellent at removing stains), only realize that it is a large-volume industrial operation, so if you really like your delicate item -- don't send it to the laundry, do it by hand.

Dave

Thanks for the good laugh. :D