Heads Up on Feeding Seagulls

On another unrelated thread, there was a nice collection of photos from a Princess trip to Alaska and I was 'snooping' through them only to find a photo of somebody feeding a seagull from the rail of the ship in Vancouver.

If not mistaken, Vancouver like many other places counts feeding seagulls as littering and it is a bylaw infraction. However, beyond that ... and how can I put this politely. Well, anything which goes into a bird has to come out and there is no telling when or where that happens. I do not know if Princess has a regulation one way of the other but if you were feeding gulls on the balcony next to mine, I would be on the phone fast. Please don't.

Later,

M

On another unrelated thread, there was a nice collection of photos from a Princess trip to Alaska and I was 'snooping' through them only to find a photo of somebody feeding a seagull from the rail of the ship in Vancouver.

If not mistaken, Vancouver like many other places counts feeding seagulls as littering and it is a bylaw infraction. However, beyond that ... and how can I put this politely. Well, anything which goes into a bird has to come out and there is no telling when or where that happens. I do not know if Princess has a regulation one way of the other but if you were feeding gulls on the balcony next to mine, I would be on the phone fast. Please don't.

Later,

M

In addition to your legitimate concern, feeding gulls (sharks, reef fishes, bears, other wildlife) with French fries or other human food performs two other harms:

1) It desensitizes the animal to human encounters. The animal will see humans as food opportunities and harass the next individual.

2) It usually supplies the animal with mal-nutritional substinance which can actually harm the animal.

Please don't feed the animals.

In addition to your legitimate concern, feeding gulls (sharks, reef fishes, bears, other wildlife) with French fries or other human food performs two other harms:

1) It desensitizes the animal to human encounters. The animal will see humans as food opportunities and harass the next individual.

2) It usually supplies the animal with mal-nutritional substinance which can actually harm the animal.

Please don't feed the animals.

LOL! Sorry, but I can't help myself. I find that most items we eat supplies us with mal-nutritional substinance which causes harm to us. ;)

Seriously, I understand your point though.

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

In Florida they were locally known as "Flying Rats" because they will eat just about anything. They are very capable of finding their own stuff to eat and yes, the idiots that feed them at outdoor waterfront restaurants deserve the poop dressing on their salad.:eek::D

in florida they were locally known as "flying rats" because they will eat just about anything. They are very capable of finding their own stuff to eat and yes, the idiots that feed them at outdoor waterfront restaurants deserve the poop dressing on their salad.:eek::d

haha LMAO! :D

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

Really!!!!

Feeding seagulls from a cruise ship-what are people thinking or are they thinking???

Here on Long Island ,the seagulls move from the beach to our local dump (recycling center may be a better term).

The seagulls have a feast from all the garbage they find.

I see people feeding the seagulls on our local beach.

I don't see the reason for doing this.

Really!!!!

Feeding seagulls from a cruise ship-what are people thinking or are they thinking???

Here on Long Island ,the seagulls move from the beach to our local dump (recycling center may be a better term).

The seagulls have a feast from all the garbage they find.

I see people feeding the seagulls on our local beach.

I don't see the reason for doing this.

As far as I'm concerned, feeding seagulls is like feeding pigeons.

I can't remember which island we were docked at. We were at the aft outdoor eating area. A seagull flew up to someone and swiped a lit cigerette right out of his mouth. If I hadn't seen it, I'd probably not believe it.

ON our Alaska cruise we were warned about the seagulls in Glacier Bay and how they would eat anything they could find on the open decks.

Edited by spirit rev

Pigeons are called "flying rats" by most pest control people. They're a nuisance and extremely dirty birds. We had a really obnoxious seagull on our Radiance OTS cruise. We ate outside (since that was the venue) and the darn bird got on the back of my son's chair AS HE ATE. He kept hanging around hoping for a morsel, hopping from chair to table to railing. Yuck.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

We were on a Baltic cruise when some in a couple of cabins from us left their balcony door open with left over things from breakfast sitting on a table inside of their cabin. Seagulls considered it an open invitation. It took a very long time for the crew to get them all out (a few had escaped into the hallway) ... and the seagulls made a total mess of the cabin. :eek:

LuLu

Had to laugh reading this thread. Seagulls, and pigeons for that matter, are scavengers and opportunity seekers. If they see food (sea food or otherwise:)) they are going to hang around no matter if you feed them or not. That said, yeah, don't feed them from your balcony (or restaurant, or wherever you are eating) . :cool:

Edited by ar1950

We were on a Baltic cruise when some in a couple of cabins from us left their balcony door open with left over things from breakfast sitting on a table inside of their cabin. Seagulls considered it an open invitation. It took a very long time for the crew to get them all out (a few had escaped into the hallway) ... and the seagulls made a total mess of the cabin. :eek:

LuLu

The Seagulls make their selves at home in all the open air restaurants in Hawaii. When my husband and I was in Honolulu the Seagulls would come right in and try and steal your food right off your plate. Glad we don't have that here in PA....:rolleyes:

I was on the Sapphire Princess in a port in Mexico and this woman kept coming out and throwing food to the seagulls. She thought it was the most fun to see them catch the food in the air. A large flock of birds descended on the ship. They were swooping and fighting with each other....and, oh yeah, making a mess on everyone's balcony. People were yelling at the woman, but she didn't care. Everyone trying to eat breakfast was driven off their balconies. Some people called security. I don't know if they called her, but she eventually stopped. What a mess. Some people just don't think.

LuLu

LOL! That must have been a sight! A gull once landed on our patio table at the San Francisco Zoo and took a french fry right out of my daughter's hand. I love to watch them from the ship, but I do know better than to feed them!

In Florida they were locally known as "Flying Rats" because they will eat just about anything. They are very capable of finding their own stuff to eat and yes, the idiots that feed them at outdoor waterfront restaurants deserve the poop dressing on their salad.:eek::D

I have a friend who bought his breakfast and carried it to the end of a pier to eat it. Before he started to eat, he noticed a starfish on the dock. He walked over to throw it back into the water. In the maybe 20 seconds he was away from his meal, the gull were into it and had eaten most of it.

Definitely flying rats.

DON

I have a friend who bought his breakfast and carried it to the end of a pier to eat it. Before he started to eat, he noticed a starfish on the dock. He walked over to throw it back into the water. In the maybe 20 seconds he was away from his meal, the gull were into it and had eaten most of it.

... and the seagulls put the starfish there!

I think it was Juneau...the black crows seemed to be well fed. I remember them landing on my railing during sail in when I was eating breakfast.

It's not just seagulls.

If you come down under here to Australia watch out for the Kookaburras. They're well known for stealing sausages straight off the grill. It's true, it happened to us when we were having a picnic with friends at a bushy park in Sydney.

And I've had sparrows fly on to the table I was sitting at in New Zealand, and help themselves to a peck of my scone. Keas, a type of parrot, at NZ ski resorts are also very cheeky and will try to steal food.

Best thing is to never feed the wildlife anywhere, unless you are at a wildlife park where feeding is permitted.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I went to the Princess Contract and searched for something which prohibits this behaviour. I could find nothing directly about feeding birds on your balcony. I did scan for other more vague but relevant language but could find nothing. I was surprised. In my opinion, feeding gulls on your deck means poop on your deck and others. Who wants to take even money, this will eventually be in the cruise contract?

M