Ads on sidebar

toothmaker

I made this window not as wide as my monitor (I multi-surf among several windows) and just see the ad that's above. Shhhhh.

Except that they might shift the ad's from side to side. It's still not to bad when at home reading it on a large screen but I'd hate to read it on my 7" tablet or phone. It would be irritating at best. :(

I agree. I MUCH prefer the ads on the right sidebar than at the top or even between posts the way they have been at times in the past.

We take a lot for granted when it comes to Cruise Critic and the only way this site can remain viable is to generate income... from ads. It's not a non-profit. It costs a lot of money for the servers, equipment and everything else that we use whether we're aware of it or not. Yes, they want to sell more ads and by doing that, we have Cruise Critic to help each other and enjoy. Unless, of course, you can offer suggestions to CC on how they can raise money to maintain the site, you'll need to get used to the ads. I'd rather have the ads than have to pay to use the site although I would if I had to.

Pam, don't even mention it :eek:.

Theo

Personally, I don't have a problem with this new format. I've seen it before on the Royal Caribbean Forum and actually wished it would be expanded to the Princess Forum. To me, having the narrower column for the posts actually makes it easier to read. Sometimes when someone posts long paragraphs it can be a chore to read the long lines that extend from one end of my monitor to the other. This way the lines are shorter, and it's just easier to read in my case.

I only noticed them today (before I saw this thread) and like others thought it was something I'd done. On the bright side at least unlike the one that keeps moving on dictionary's daily crossword the ones here are still and you can tune them out.

They also know exactly which website I have been checking. Within minutes of visiting a website a related add appears on the sidebar.
That data has been available for websites for many, many years. They know what page you came from, which link you clicked on next, how much time you spent on each page, what operating system you're using, browser, etc. :)

That data has been available for websites for many, many years. They know what page you came from, which link you clicked on next, how much time you spent on each page, what operating system you're using, browser, etc. :)

I know, scary isn't.

Theo

It's not only the ads that are annoying I now have to log in every time i visit, the site no longer "remembers" me! :(

I'm having that problem too - on my ipad. Most of the time when I hit the back arrow it will take me to a cc page and from there I can click on UserCP. Gets tiresome to have to log in everytime. :o I hop in and out often

At first when I saw the ads on the right I thought I had done something wrong. Then I realized they were doing what they need to do for advertising. Like mostly everyone else, its something new but we will get over it. I appreciate this site and that it is free. I'll adjust as will everyone else :rolleyes:

I'm having that problem too - on my ipad. Most of the time when I hit the back arrow it will take me to a cc page and from there I can click on UserCP. Gets tiresome to have to log in everytime. :o I hop in and out often

Try using the free Puffin browser on iPad. It always remembers you.

Now if I could just figure how to make it a default when you click an email link for the forums.

Why is the ad space on the sidebar so large? Why can't it be narrower or at the bottom of the page like some of the existing ads? This is very annoying. and can lead to people leaving this website...therefore reduced revenue for those whose ads are infringing on the readable cruise critic space.

They've been on the RCCL thread for a long time. I was surprised how long it took to hit the Princess threads.

At first when I saw the ads on the right I thought I had done something wrong. Then I realized they were doing what they need to do for advertising. Like mostly everyone else, its something new but we will get over it. I appreciate this site and that it is free. I'll adjust as will everyone else :rolleyes:

I do not mind the ads, but I do mind all the blank space (about 20% of the screen width) below the ads.

That's all it takes.

I can't pull anything on the right side of my screen to cover ad area. I dislike ad area intensely. It's done something to the viewing area on my screen and I have to use bottom scroll bar to view some posts. Do not like this at all and may move to other cruise forums that don't do this.

Cruise Critic is a business. It needs to pay its bills and justify its existence by being profitable.

If you enjoy Cruise Critic, I suggest we all learn to live with the ads.

Lew

Delete

Edited by kendon

:eek:It is annoying to me since the sidebar is so wide. I totally understand that CC is a site that needs to make a profit. I will put up with the layout of these ads to use this site but I use many other sites that are for profit and don't find their ad layout as annoying as this.:eek::eek::eek:

Cruise Critic is a business. It needs to pay its bills and justify its existence by being profitable.

If you enjoy Cruise Critic, I suggest we all learn to live with the ads.

Lew

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

I'm not opposed to ads. I just don't like them hogging right side of screen and making visual experience unpleasant. This is a visual medium. Make it nice for patrons or we will go elsewhere. :mad:

Edited by philv