FYI - Diamond Internet Minutes on Freedom

We just sailed on Freedom last week, and were very surprised to see that our Diamond C&A status gave us 60 free internet minutes each instead of the expected 30!! That was a very pleasant surprise! (I know, many of you lock up your electronics the moment you board, and would not care about this in the least! :D)

I am wondering if this is because Freedom has gone to the unlimited internet, plus a couple of other packages, but no by the minute pricing.

Either way I was happy - able to check in on our dogs with the sitter, upload some cool underwater photos I took while snorkeling to Facebook, and took care of some emails.

We'd love to leave our computer at home, but we own a business that we have to keep tabs on, so we usually buy a package beyond our free minutes. If we couldn't get internet we would not be able to cruise as often as we do.

Since we have 3 Freedom cruises booked, that's good news about the unlimited packages. Do you remember how much they cost?

The packages were expensive. I don't remember the exact cost of unlimited Internet. It depended on if you just wanted to use it on one device or if you needed to use it on more. I believe if you wanted to use 2 devices, it was around $230 for unlimited and if you just wanted to use 1 device it was around $190 for unlimited. They no longer offer the option to buy minutes. You can buy 1 hour for $30 or 1 day for $60. These prices are not exact but they are pretty close.

On the last night, they did a special for 30 minutes $10.00. With my 15% off coupon, the cost was only $8.50. You couldn't buy anything less than 1 hour of time until the last night.

Edited by AmandaKaye79

You can log off and log on as long as you want too. We did that on the IOS TA last month and had no problem with the minutes being gone, as we got 2 hours between us we had enough time on our 13 day cruise to do what was needed to be done a little everyday. You have to turn off your FaceTime,youtube etc. and log off correctly or your time would be gone; esp. if you are using the WIFI and only use what you need to use.

Edited by Folk Singer

The drawback with the 60 minutes of free Diamond Internet is that it all has to be taken at ONE time. If you log off before the 60 minutes are up, they are gone...

Not true. You get 60 minutes that can be used whenever you like - including switching between computers - until they're used up, and then you pay by the minute. DW and I both got 60 minutes, and used mine between our two iPads until mine were gone, and then switched to hers. The 120 minutes total lasted us the entire 7-night cruise.

Edited by orville99

We only use it the last day to check in to our flights and get our boarding passes. This trip, because of both flights being cancelled and us having to move not only times but airports, the agent moved us up to priority seating so we are confirmed in row 9 both ways. So I don't have to worry about trying to move us from row 29 that last day.

Yes, its because of those ships with the unlimited internet packages. There is no 30 or 45 minute package, therefore D and D+ now get either an extra 30 or 15 minutes. I wish all the ships had the unlimited package.

Edited by Trekker954

I believe this perk changed to 60 minutes around Jan. this year. Yes, you can use your minutes anytime you want if you log off correctly. If you have not used this recently, be sure to check with Guest Services about how to sign on and set up your password.

If you are Diamond, How does the free minutes work? Is it Wi Fi in your room or only on one of the ship computers?

Do you have to go to guest services to get password etc to get it started?

Thanks.

When I tried to access the Internet through the wifi system on the ship, it gave me a screen that listed all of my options and it always showed my C&A discount. This works if you try to log in using wifi on your phone, tablet, computer or if you go down to the computer room on the ship. You just needed your name and your sea pass card number.

When I tried to access the Internet through the wifi system on the ship, it gave me a screen that listed all of my options and it always showed my C&A discount. This works if you try to log in using wifi on your phone, tablet, computer or if you go down to the computer room on the ship. You just needed your name and your sea pass card number.

Thanks for the info Amanda.

Hmmm - we are D+ and just this past weekend were given 45 minutes (each). In the past there has been no difference in length of cruise and the D+ internet benefit – so I wonder why we only received 45 minutes.:(

Like LBW, we can ONLY cruise because of the internet. Without it - we would not be able to be away as often.

m

Hmmm - we are D+ and just this past weekend were given 45 minutes (each). In the past there has been no difference in length of cruise and the D+ internet benefit – so I wonder why we only received 45 minutes.:(

Like LBW, we can ONLY cruise because of the internet. Without it - we would not be able to be away as often.

m

Marci, I think the expanded free minutes only happens on ships that have gone to unlimited internet plans.

I believe this perk changed to 60 minutes around Jan. this year. Yes, you can use your minutes anytime you want if you log off correctly. If you have not used this recently, be sure to check with Guest Services about how to sign on and set up your password.
D+ and only got 45 minutes on each leg of my B2B2B from Sydney to Seattle.

The drawback with the 60 minutes of free Diamond Internet is that it all has to be taken at ONE time. If you log off before the 60 minutes are up, they are gone...

No that is NOT true! I spread our time over the entire cruise - five minutes at a time!

Not true. You get 60 minutes that can be used whenever you like - including switching between computers - until they're used up, and then you pay by the minute. DW and I both got 60 minutes, and used mine between our two iPads until mine were gone, and then switched to hers. The 120 minutes total lasted us the entire 7-night cruise.

I guess they changed it since March. Probably a lot of complaints. At that time on the Liberty, it was use it or lose it....