Just curious - enough lifeboats?

We are sailing on the Allure next month and this has aggravated me, so I have to ask. Are there other lifeboats on the ship that you can't see or just the ones visible? It does not seem that the small amount of ones you can see will hold close to 6200 people.

We are sailing on the Allure next month and this has aggravated me, so I have to ask. Are there other lifeboats on the ship that you can't see or just the ones visible? It does not seem that the small amount of ones you can see will hold close to 6200 people.

They would not be allowed to sail if there werent enough. Not only are their the lifeboats you see but there are also many life rafts as well.

If you take Independance of the Seas which can carry 4370 guest plus 1370 crew and has 30 life boats that about 191 people per boat, she also has a number of life rafts which are the white pods on 5 deck which are normal a 25 man life raft, I think the would be room for everyone. I'm ex Royal Navy we use to have enough life rafts for 125% of the crew.

Being at Sea is part of Life:)

Your post reminded me of my interest in exactly how they fit all those people in the funky seating.

Still don't know the answer but here is some info on these specially designed boats.

http://www.rina.org.uk/mega-lifeboat.html

Sheal

The way it was described to us, there are 3 rows of bleacher type seating on each side. The people on the 2nd row sit with their legs over the shoulders of the people on the first row & the 3rd row sit with their legs over the shoulders of those in the 2nd row.

Don't know if it's true & I hope I NEVER find out!

Your post reminded me of my interest in exactly how they fit all those people in the funky seating.

Still don't know the answer but here is some info on these specially designed boats.

http://www.rina.org.uk/mega-lifeboat.html

Sheal

Thanks for the link, I did not realize they could hold that many people. I would love to see inside one, just to see however, not to have to use.

That, of course, assumes that all lifeboats/rafts can be launched....in many cases, they can't all be launched, because the ship is listing too far..... Yikes!

It is for this reason that SOLAS requires that *each side* of the ship has enough lifeboat+liferaft capacity for the entire ship, ie in total between the proper boats and inflatable rafts, the ship carries enough capacity for over twice the number of people on board.

It is for this reason that SOLAS requires that *each side* of the ship has enough lifeboat+liferaft capacity for the entire ship, ie in total between the proper boats and inflatable rafts, the ship carries enough capacity for over twice the number of people on board.

I do not believe that is accurate.

http://consumertraveler.com/columns/life-safety-cruise-ship-regulation-reform-is-essential/

Are you sure thats correct? Please show me the link.

I found this. http://www.rina.org.uk/lifeboats.html "Modern passenger ships engaged on international voyages, which are not short must carry partially or totally enclosed lifeboats on each side to accommodate not less than 50% of the total number of persons on board (in other words, the two sides together must equal at least 100%. Some lifeboats can be substituted by liferafts. In addition, inflatable or rigid liferafts to accommodate at least 25% of the total number of persons on board. Sufficient lifeboats and life rafts of such capacity as to accommodate 125% of the total number of people on board."

Edited by FLACRUISER99

I believe each lifeboat holds around 350 people. That would be 6300 guests with 18 lifeboats.

If there was a call to abandon ship and the lifeboats were all launched successfully to capacity of people "passengers, crew" that would leave approximately 1850 people to use the viking evacuation chutes rigged and located between the grouping of lifeboats.

Life rafts are launched by pod to the water below connected by the chute system on deck four. Jump into the chute and with a little luck slide into the waiting water. Testing of these systems presented some interesting scenarios but if that is all you have it would be welcomed.

They are technically for crew but available to all of course. 1850 people in life rafts is much better than in the water.

If you take Independance of the Seas which can carry 4370 guest plus 1370 crew and has 30 life boats that about 191 people per boat, she also has a number of life rafts which are the white pods on 5 deck which are normal a 25 man life raft, I think the would be room for everyone. I'm ex Royal Navy we use to have enough life rafts for 125% of the crew.

Being at Sea is part of Life:)

Same here Barnet.

Just glad I never had to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just don't get a life jacket in your cabin...you have to go to your muster station for that.

Incorrect. There are life jackets in the cabins (in the closets above the hangers). If you have a child, you should let your steward know to bring a smaller one in.

You are just no longer required to wear it to Muster.

If you are not in your cabin in the event of emergency, they will give you a jacket at your muster station. If you are in your cabin, take it from there (as well as any medications you might need).

Incorrect. There are life jackets in the cabins (in the closets above the hangers). If you have a child, you should let your steward know to bring a smaller one in.

You are just no longer required to wear it to Muster.

If you are not in your cabin in the event of emergency, they will give you a jacket at your muster station. If you are in your cabin, take it from there (as well as any medications you might need).

I'm glad they finally realized what a mistake that would be having the passengers attempt to get to their cabin and retrieve their life jackets.

Edited by dacsmom

There are more than enough lifeboats. Also keep in mind that even if all of the lifeboats are unavailable, they have plenty of life rafts for everyone. Most of the rafts will deploy automatically, even if the crew is incapacitated or does not lower the lifeboats. Between the lifeboats and the life rafts, there is plenty of room for everyone.