Guide Books?

train460

i see others mention getting guidebooks for the ports that we will be in but WHERE do i get these?

we are going to Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.

Is there a certain website for each of these countries etc?

michael

i see others mention getting guidebooks for the ports that we will be in but WHERE do i get these?

we are going to Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.

Is there a certain website for each of these countries etc?

michael

Not sure what guidebooks you are referring to, but if you go to fodors.com you will find a plethora of information. I have his guidebook (wonderful), but the same info is on line.

Click on DESTINATIONS, then click on the CARIBBEAN. Tons of info.

Libraries have guidebooks....so do bookstores! Libraries are free, but you can't keep the book forever, or write in it, etc.....but you can take notes for later reference.

I'll use the libraries books for quick info, and if I need to have the book in my possession during the cruise, I'll buy one!

You can also Google your destination...lots of info online, but it is a searching process! The guidebook is just easier...everything you need to know is right between the covers of the book!

Edited by cb at sea

Go to Amazon and do a search on guidebooks, there will be plenty to choose from.

or simply search on line. Did you start with the Ports of Call threads here on CC?

These are some websites I've bookmarked:

caribbeanportreviews dot com/

cruisereport dot com/crPortList.aspx?AgtId=678

cruisediva/caribbean dot com/caribbean.htm

cruisereviewsonline dot com/portsofcall.html

Another great source of info is Tripadvisor.

Trip Advisor has become my go-to website for travel planning. I especially like the direct links to the websites for restaurants, hotels, and "things to do." Reviewers often post some great photos.

I also download travel guides to my kindle to read on sea days before we get to port.

Trip Advisor has become my go-to website for travel planning. I especially like the direct links to the websites for restaurants, hotels, and "things to do." Reviewers often post some great photos.

I also download travel guides to my kindle to read on sea days before we get to port.

I agree especially for hotels and restaurants. I will say with restaurants you need to keep in mind that sometimes the top rated ones are also very fancy.

I found a site on the web called "Tom's Port Guides." It was suggested here on CC so you know it has to be good. Just do the search and it is an amazing site. You can download anything that you think might be helpful in your ports. Best thing!!! It is free!!!!!

If you want to purchase them, then as mentioned B & N or online. But if you just want to gather information and learn of the different ports of call aside from all that can be found on CC, the internet is by far the best, fastest, and easiest source without leaving home. Anything to be found at the library can be found on line with no more search effort.

I used to use guidebooks but now I find better, more up to date info on line. Trip advisor, google the name of the place you are going, fodors, frommers are all good on line resources.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

21d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

21d Carnival Triumph

Libraries have guidebooks....so do bookstores! Libraries are free, but you can't keep the book forever, or write in it, etc.....but you can take notes for later reference.

I'll use the libraries books for quick info, and if I need to have the book in my possession during the cruise, I'll buy one!

You can also Google your destination...lots of info online, but it is a searching process! The guidebook is just easier...everything you need to know is right between the covers of the book!

CBatSea -- You'll be glad to hear that, after all these years, I finally took your advice, and bought a guidebook! ;) For one-day stops (even in a new port) I usually just do my research online. But, our upcoming Summit cruise has us spending three days in Bermuda. So, I found a recent edition Moon Handbook -- now, I just need to sit down and read it! :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

I agree with the idea of borrowing guide books (look under travel) for the area you're cruising to. Look through them and see which book(s) you are impressed with -- maybe has maps you like or emphasizes what you're interested in. If you have a local book store (yes, I know these are disappearing:() and do the same.

Then buy the newest edition of the book or books you like. If you don't have a local book store, there's Amazon and some book stores like Barnes and Noble have websites. You can even go on the website for the manufacturer and they may sell the books or have suggestions for stores. Certainly companies like Fodors will make it easy for you to buy their books.

I have found my local library doesn't have the the most recent edition and I don't want to risk losing or damaging a library book by taking on the actual cruise (our system doesn't charge by list price -- any adult level book costs a fixed rate about $48 to replace:eek:).

I would also google each port. You'll come up with a ton of websites, including the official one for the port. Look through these. Some will have downloadable brochures. What I do is to have a document opened in Word and copy and paste any great info into my doc. Eventually I'll edit down each doc, print out and I'll have info for each port.

There's also a great site called WikiTravel - http://wikitravel.org

It's like...the wikipedia of travel! There's tons of info on there. I would also just try doing some google searches and you'll find out way more info than you would in a guide book. There are so many wonderful travel blogs out here to help you! :)

thanks for all the info. I have been doing boocoo research online about the differant ports but i also read alot about getting guide books so thought i might be missing something. I will also look into the library thing as i borrow books for my kindle all the time.

thanks

michael

I think it is personal preference on guidebook vs internet. Never hurts to try both to see which works best for you.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

21d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

21d Carnival Triumph

I found a site on the web called "Tom's Port Guides." It was suggested here on CC so you know it has to be good. Just do the search and it is an amazing site. You can download anything that you think might be helpful in your ports. Best thing!!! It is free!!!!!

Tom's Port Guides (Tom Sheridan) has a fantastic site for various ports-of-call and detailed......wow! Downloadable pdf files and maps!......or print them directly from site.

One thing I've discovered is that the best guidebooks for planning a trip are not necessarily the best guidebooks to use once you're there. So I preview everything via the library (if they don't have the most recent edition, they can borrow it from another library) and then just buy the one or two I want to take along.

I use the internet heavily as well, but don't rely on that at my destination. Especially out of the country.

As a merchant who owns a map store and sells travel guide books, let me give my honest, unbiased opinions here.

1. Many guidebooks will give much more information than you probably will need or even want, particularly for a single day cruise port stop.

2. That being said, the information is very good and the publishers have had editors go over the information so that the information is true.

3. Some publishers actually take "honororiums" from the places they mention. (In other words, they get paid by the hotels, restaurants, resorts, etc. for the publisher mentioning them in the books)

Now for the important stuff.

4. Most guide books are updated on a schedule of 3-8 years. This means that the secret little hideaway beach listed in the guide book is now an exclusive resort that will cost hundreds of dollars in access for a beach day.

5. Taking this into account, this means that a guidebook that is 8-10 years old (check the publishing date on page usually right after the title page.) is still somewhat accurate.

6. This means that the guide book you find on the shelf of the Library, Used Book Store, or even Thrift Store, probably is more than good enough for your trip. Particularly on a single day cruise port stop.

7. But supplement the guidebook with information from this site or other internet websites.

8. But remember, "Everything on the Internet is True" is not true at all. Do not believe all the reviews that you read on line. Whether good (may be published by the resort themselves) or bad (may be published by competitors). Dig a little get reviews from several sites, throw out the "Excellent" ones, throw out the "Horrible" ones, and you will probably find a really good evaluation.

9. Don't be afraid to ask the Bookseller at your local Bookstore for recommendations. They might just be a fellow Cruising Addict like me!

9a. And they might need your purchase to stay in business so they can continue to cruise as well.

Support your local bookseller, mapseller, travel agent.

Edited by mapsmith