Traveling Without a Credit Card

ducklite

Another thread got me wondering...

For people who don't have a credit card, what is the plan in case of emergency? If you have to get back home in the middle of the cruise, are sick or injured and need treatment in a foreign hospital that requires payment up front, have some sort of massive delay due to weather or national emergency that requires staying several extra nights in hotels and meals, etc. what is the plan to cover these costs?

I guess you would have to have funds wired to you either from your bank account at home or from a friend or family member.

A domestic bank wire takes 24-72 hours to process. An international bank wire can take up to five days. Probably not a good option.

Another thread got me wondering...

For people who don't have a credit card, what is the plan in case of emergency? If you have to get back home in the middle of the cruise, are sick or injured and need treatment in a foreign hospital that requires payment up front, have some sort of massive delay due to weather or national emergency that requires staying several extra nights in hotels and meals, etc. what is the plan to cover these costs?

My guess is that most passengers don't think this through and have no back up plan or their budget is so tight that it allows nothing for emergencies.

Traveling anywhere - even just a hundred miles from home - without an ability to cover surprises: car breakdown, sudden illness, family emergency, etc. is hard to understand. Cruise lines do not take chances - they either have your card, or an upfront cash deposit, plus the ability to cut you off if you exhaust your deposit.

Assuming that you have friends capable of being contacted and willing to wire significant funds instantly is a shaky " plan B".

We have a friend that "doesn't believe in credit cards". We were planning a Med cruise with them before we found out this fact. I told them I was very uncomfortable traveling with them without a credit card. They thought ATM machines would work everywhere. After some further conversations, they finally decided to bring their credit card (yes, they have a Visa). All in all, we had a wonderful cruise and they learned to relax and not worry so much about credit card theft/fraud.

I applaud people being responsible with credit, but I would never travel without one. Of course, we safe-guard ours with body pouches when we travel so there is no theft problems.

Margee

Traveling anywhere - even just a hundred miles from home - without an ability to cover surprises: car breakdown, sudden illness, family emergency, etc. is hard to understand. Cruise lines do not take chances - they either have your card, or an upfront cash deposit, plus the ability to cut you off if you exhaust your deposit.

Assuming that you have friends capable of being contacted and willing to wire significant funds instantly is a shaky " plan B".

I won't go much further than the grocery store or gas station (both walkable from my home) without my AAA card and a credit card.

About 10 years ago I was having a cup of coffee in the food court at MCO and the couple sitting next to me were on the phone with someone at home (which by the accent was someplace in the greater NYC metro area). They had missed their flight, and due to bad weather, several other flights had been delayed and they were being told it could be another day or two before they would get home. Not the carriers fault, so no meal vouchers or hotel rooms for them. They didn't have enough cash left to buy dinner, and their bank account was empty until they got paid a couple days later, so the ATM/debit card was of no use. They were calling person after person asking them if they could go to the bank and deposit cash into their account. Then their cell phone battery died.

Their lack of planning did not constitute an emergency on my part.

Edited by ducklite

I travelled abroad extensively without plastic decades ago. Just extra emergency cash & travel insurance. That was the norm.

Then I got a credit card, and being an impecunious youngster I over-spent. When I exceeded my credit limit, card companies - interested only in profit - simply upped my credit limit, dropping me deeper in debt.

I have very little doubt that's the way it worked for a lot of folk, and probably still does for some - so I can understand the reluctance.

Now I only use cards as charge-cards & pay them in full monthly, so they cost me nothing & avoid the need to carry a wad of cash.

And nowadays I wouldn't dream of travelling abroad without one.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

It is difficult to impossible to do any significant international travel without a credit card. For example, many hotels will not allow a client to check-in without a credit card on file. It is nearly impossible to rent a car without a major credit card (which must have a decent credit limit). Buying an airline ticket is difficult without a credit card and actually near impossible with certain airlines. Plus, using cash to buy an airline ticket will immediately "flag" you as a suspicious person subject to additional scrutiny.

We do use our ATM cards routinely when we travel (we have 3 ATM cards drawn on different accounts in 3 different banks). But ATMs are subject to daily withdrawal limits which sometimes are as little as 200 Euros. And ATM networks do go down (this recently happened to us in France). We often advise folks here on CC (and elsewhere) that if you travel outside your home country you should have at least 2 different ATM cards (drawn on different accounts) and a 2 major credit cards (MC and Visa are the most widely accepted).

Having back-ups is the key to less stress and more success when traveling. On our most recent trip (just returned from 2 months in Europe) we actually had one of our ATM cards "cut off" because Visa International detected a major security issue (they would not tell us or our bank the details). With one quick e-mail (and phone call) one of our major sources of funds was cut-off with no possibility of getting a replacement until we returned home. If we had not had a back-up ATM card we would have been forced to use credit card cash advances (this can get expensive).

Hank

In the mid 1950's (yes -dating myself) before many people had even heard of something called a credit card, I was driving home from hanging out with a friend who lived about 15 miles away. Without thinking, I spent my last dollar at a gas station - as I recall, it got me about five gallons. Unfortunately, I was on the other side of the Hudson River - when I explained to the toll collector on the Bear Mountain Bridge that I could not pay the 25 cents, he shook his head in dis-belief but waved me through. My father made me mail a dollar to the authority with an apologetic letter of thanks.

Since then I have always (with increasing efficacy) had back-up plans whenever getting more than a five minute walk away from home base.

I travelled abroad extensively without plastic decades ago. Just extra emergency cash & travel insurance. That was the norm.

Then I got a credit card, and being an impecunious youngster I over-spent. When I exceeded my credit limit, card companies - interested only in profit - simply upped my credit limit, dropping me deeper in debt.

I have very little doubt that's the way it worked for a lot of folk, and probably still does for some - so I can understand the reluctance.

Now I only use cards as charge-cards & pay them in full monthly, so they cost me nothing & avoid the need to carry a wad of cash.

And nowadays I wouldn't dream of travelling abroad without one.

Travel insurance doesn't hand you cash to pay for a hotel room or meals when you are stranded--they will only reimburse after the fact. While I won't leave the country without it, I also don't feel that it is an adequate back up to a credit card. The two should compliment each other, not replace each other.

I wouldn't dream of going 5 minutes from home without a credit card. When DH and I went for our usual walks after dinner, I always had a $20 in each sneaker...... just in case. :o

You cannot rent a car without a credit card, I don't think and as stated hotels require credit card to check in.

I don't understand people who travel out of the country without a passport and I REALLY, REALLY do not understand someone traveling without a credit card. There are so many traps to be caught in and unexpected things that can happen.

Personal responsibility ..... I've always felt it important each of us depend upon ourselves to take care of ourselves to the very best we possibly can.

Edited by sail7seas

I'm always surprised at how many people show up to my hotel and put down a debit card for their deposit. I always ask if they have a credit card to use to start with - many of them say either they don't or they want to use the debit card. I explain that the hotel will be placing a hard hold on $100/day PLUS the cost of the room for the entire stay and those funds will be unavailable to them until the bank releases any excess after the bill has been paid and that release can be anywhere from 24 hours after settling up to a few weeks (it depends on the bank, NOT the hotel). Some were unaware of how hotels/car rentals/etc use the debit cards and are unpleasantly surprised that they will be without that "extra" money to spend.

I've been bit by weather delays in transit a few times and I had one major accident on vacation. I shudder to think what would have happened if I did not have a credit card with me in those cases!!!

I always recommend having one credit card. You don't have to use it as a credit card - you CAN pay it off every month. At hotels, (unless you pre-pay), you can always switch payment methods when you check out. Had that yesterday - a guy put down his AMEX at check-in, then paid with cash at checkout. Easy, peasy:D

We both go everywhere with 2 credit cards each -- and not linked with each other.

And and I carry a different card or cards than DH. That way if I loose my purse (or worse) we STILL have cards that have not been compromised.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Travel insurance doesn't hand you cash to pay for a hotel room or meals when you are stranded--they will only reimburse after the fact. While I won't leave the country without it, I also don't feel that it is an adequate back up to a credit card. The two should compliment each other, not replace each other.

Agreed.

But you haven't fully read my post

Insurance could hardly back-up a credit card when there was no such thing as a credit card. ;)

The insurance was to cover immediate medical care (which it did, no question of pay now & get reimbursed later - remember, this was before credit cards).

If necessary slept in the car & bought food in grocery shops rather than restaurants, all I truly needed was my ferry ticket & money for enough gas to get home.

But, as per my post - that was "decades ago" "and nowadays I wouldn't dream of travelling abroad without one."

I applaud people being responsible with credit,

Traveling without a credit card is not "being responsible with credit". Responsibility is understanding the value of carrying a credit card and using it wisely.

Edited by swsfrail

At hotels, (unless you pre-pay), you can always switch payment methods when you check out. Had that yesterday - a guy put down his AMEX at check-in, then paid with cash at checkout. Easy, peasy:D

When we travel outside the US, on the last night I figure out how much we'll need for the next day before we leave the country (cab fare, breakfast, sundries) and take the rest and pay my hotel bill down or in full with it.

We always travel with credit cards-always at least two, sometimes three different cards.

We NEVER use debit for any travel. First off it is like cash...there is NO protection whatsoever.. At least with a cc you can lean of the credit card company for a reversal if a company goes bankrupt or does not honour their contractual obligation.

All that plus rental car coverage and I do not know how many reward air tickets we have had to Europe and within NA. Not to mention the occasional free rooms from Hilton and Marriott.

Not to mention emergencies of any kind. We have never paid credit card interest. We only spend what we can afford. And we cannot afford credit card interest rates!

Edited by iancal

Agreed.

But you haven't fully read my post

Insurance could hardly back-up a credit card when there was no such thing as a credit card. ;)

The insurance was to cover immediate medical care (which it did, no question of pay now & get reimbursed later - remember, this was before credit cards).

If necessary slept in the car & bought food in grocery shops rather than restaurants, all I truly needed was my ferry ticket & money for enough gas to get home.

But, as per my post - that was "decades ago" "and nowadays I wouldn't dream of travelling abroad without one."

I read the post--I was worried that others might not and think it was acceptable to do today what was the norm before the advent of credit cards in the late 60's or so. Sorry if I wasn't clearer.

One other thing to add, back in the day we could carry a letter of credit or reference from a bank and foreign banks and hotels would cash personal checks and extend temporary credit to travelers.

I had one of these as late as the 1980's from the bank my company used so I could transact business on my employers behalf at other US banks. This included cashing company checks without an account and wiring tens of thousands of dollars in cash. Obviously it was pre 9-11 and all the nonsense that followed.

Do you notice that no one who travels with only a debit card has responded to this thread?

Until now. Because I was young and dumb and did not protect my credit back in the day, and because I was a slow learner, it was not until recently that credit cards were an option for me. I've done 4 cruises at this point, and not once did I have a credit card available to me. I saved diligently and put money on a debit card which was not attached to my bank account. I always made sure I had enough to cover any emergencies as well as my planned expenses. It always worked for me. Fortunately, my credit picture has greatly improved, as has my sense of financial responsibility, and I now have 2 separate credit cards. They will be going with me on my next cruise, but will be tucked away for those "just in case" situations. I will still load whatever spending money I am allowing myself on to a debit card which is unrelated to my bank account.

And for the record, I have never had a problem booking a hotel room with a debit card.