RCI left us

RCI left us so we will probably be leaving them. :( Before you jump all over me ....let me explain. We absolutely love RCI, it is our favorite. The simple truth is, we live in California and since they left us we have to fly anywhere to sail with them. With the new SF terminal opening up, we have many more options. With what we save on airfare and hotels we can cruise more. I will continue to hope that they return to the West coast.:)

I to hope they return to the West, but a market will need to be here before they will come back. With our limited choices of destinations, Mex, Alaska, Coastal, Panama & Hawaii, # of days cruising is affected. I would love love to see the return of round trip Alaska cruises out of San Pedro or San Diego.

We too love RCI now that they have a more reasonable wine policy and are just as frustrated that they are not using SFO as a convenient base port for our cruising pleasure.

Of course, there is that tiny little law; you know, the one about near and far foreign ports?????? Seriously, I would adore a B2B two week trip up to Victoria, Seattle, Astoria, then after a stop back in SFO, down to San Diego, Catalina, Santa Barbara, and/or Monterey.

So, basically, I do understand, I just don't like it.

There are 3 Pacific Coastals (Jewel of the Seas) on the schedule for 2015. Two will be departing from LA & one from San Diego. The months are: May, Sept. & Oct. We have already booked the Oct. 3, 2015 sailing which overnights in San Francisco. Our other ports will be Santa Barbara, Monterey & Encenada (4 ports total not counting LA).

We are so thrilled to have a RCCL ship back on the West Coast! Even if it is for only 3 cruises, we just can't pass it up. Maybe RCCL will send us another ship in the near future if we can fill these 3 cruises & show them that they can make money out west! We're sure going to do our part!:D

Edited by novalab

We live in Sacramento, and flying is to costly. We are happy to have the cruises over this way. I want to take the cruise that goes to Monterey. We love going there all the time. I would be different by ship. No driving!:D We could rent a car and have a blast. I also love Catalina. I will take what ever I can get.:) And take the train to Emeryville and finish with the bus.

Edited by USNUZULOOSE

RCI left us so we will probably be leaving them. :( Before you jump all over me ....let me explain. We absolutely love RCI, it is our favorite. The simple truth is, we live in California and since they left us we have to fly anywhere to sail with them. With the new SF terminal opening up, we have many more options. With what we save on airfare and hotels we can cruise more. I will continue to hope that they return to the West coast.:)

We in W. Canada feel the same. I am taking one of the Pacific Coastals on the Jewel in 2015 and hope RCI will decide that there is a market on the west coast. When is the new SF terminal opening?

We too love RCI now that they have a more reasonable wine policy and are just as frustrated that they are not using SFO as a convenient base port for our cruising pleasure.

Of course, there is that tiny little law; you know, the one about near and far foreign ports?????? Seriously, I would adore a B2B two week trip up to Victoria, Seattle, Astoria, then after a stop back in SFO, down to San Diego, Catalina, Santa Barbara, and/or Monterey.

So, basically, I do understand, I just don't like it.

As long as you throw in Ensenada on the second leg, I believe that is a perfectly legal B2B. Where the distant foreign ports come in, is when you start and end in different U.S. ports.

I am sure that Mariner's failure on the west coast was as much a disappointment to RCI as it was to the west coasters. RCI didn't really leave you folks they just needed to chase the money. And it wasn't out there.

I live in the Bay Area. And had to jump ship temporary for a princess cruise to Alaska round trip from San Francisco. But I am going on the jewel california costal cruise next year. It would be nice if they followed princess footsteps with a quantum class out of San Francisco to Alaska. Have amazing views of the Golden Gate Bridge and glaziers through North Star.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live in Minnesota and would like a cruise ship in the summer months cruise the great lakes. but in the cruise line models it must not be good for them or maybe they have never considered it.

I've looked into Mississippi River cruises from time to time, and was surprised by how high the prices were. I think if I was going to do an expensive river cruise, I'd favor the European variety.

We live in Sacramento, and flying is to costly. We are happy to have the cruises over this way. I want to take the cruise that goes to Monterey. We love going there all the time. I would be different by ship. No driving!:D We could rent a car and have a blast. I also love Catalina. I will take what ever I can get.:) And take the train to Emeryville and finish with the bus.

We did just as you would wish for last fall on the Celebrity Century. Tendered in Monterey, rented a car and headed East for the Salinas River Valley AKA Santa Lucia Highlands for a day of wine tasting. We left our purchases at the wineries, and reclaimed them a few months later on our way to Paso Robles.

BUT! I would also share that on a Princess Coastal, we brought all the bottles back to the ship, turned them in, got a receipt, and then debarked with them since Home was so close to SFO.

Since this is an RCI forum, I can also share that I would have preferred an RCI ship for both the Coastal trips. RCI, are you listening? We are here, we are here.

Since this is an RCI forum, I can also share that I would have preferred an RCI ship for both the Coastal trips. RCI, are you listening? We are here, we are here.

We are here too! It's a 5 hour drive to SoCal which is faster than a flight once you factor in the parking, check in, fly, get luggage, etc.... Cheaper too even with our gas prices.

i almost wish now I had waited on our Sept 2013 Coastal, for the Jewel instead of on the Princess. I still enjoyed a nice get away with friends, while DH stayed home to mind our kitty. He really didn't want to bother with 7 days and normally I don't care for them either but still had a good time. I did Vancouver, Victoria, Astoria, San Francisco, Santa Barbara and San Pedro.

I live in the Bay Area. And had to jump ship temporary for a princess cruise to Alaska round trip from San Francisco. But I am going on the jewel california costal cruise next year. It would be nice if they followed princess footsteps with a quantum class out of San Francisco to Alaska. Have amazing views of the Golden Gate Bridge and glaziers through North Star.

Is the new San Francisco cruise port terminal close to the old one....around Pier 39 @ Fisherman's Wharf? We loved the terminal that Mariner docked at when we went on her Pacific Coastal! Hope the new dock is still within a short walking distance to our favorite sourdough bakery (Boudin,s).:D

We've been flying to cruise ports ever since we started cruising. It's a price most of us pay.

Is the new San Francisco cruise port terminal close to the old one....around Pier 39 @ Fisherman's Wharf? We loved the terminal that Mariner docked at when we went on her Pacific Coastal! Hope the new dock is still within a short walking distance to our favorite sourdough bakery (Boudin,s).:D

New terminal is at Pier 27. It's due to open later this year. It's about half a mile from the current cruise ship pier. Due to open within the next few months. If 2 ships are in the same day, the one that is originating from SF will board there, and a visiting ship would be at the old terminal.

The new port is in between the old port and pier 39 is all within walking distance of each other. The new terminal is set to open sept 21st I believe I know it will be open for my Alaska princess cruise on the 27th

B2B cruises are considered two separate cruises. One would be ok and the other would be in violation of the PSA.

That is not true. B2B are considered one continuous cruise for the purposes of the PVSA.

For example:

In the autumn of 2015, the Serenade will be doing one way cruises between Cape Liberty (Bayonne, New Jersey) and Quebec.

The October 7 cruise goes from New Jersey to Quebec.

The October 19 cruise, dubbed the Snowbird Migration Cruise, goes from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale.

I CANNOT book these two cruises B2B, because then Royal Caribbean would be "conveying" me from New Jersey to Florida.

Neither cruise individually violates anything, but together they do.

Just to clarify. :) :) :) :)

We've been flying to cruise ports ever since we started cruising. It's a price most of us pay.

I have some sympathy for what west coast inhabitants are writing. My own brother cruises only Princess for this very reason.

But seriously, people, get a grip.

Most people have to fly to their cruises.

It is a lovely bonus if/when you don't have to, but it is the norm, not the exception.

JMO.

:)

We live in Minnesota and would like a cruise ship in the summer months cruise the great lakes. but in the cruise line models it must not be good for them or maybe they have never considered it.

You can cruise the Great Lakes in the summer... check the link below. Just be sure and bring your checkbook when you make reservations:eek:!

http://www.greatlakescruising.com/itineraries.php

Thanks for the alert on these Jewel of the Seas cruises in 2015 - we had given up and quit looking. The only down side is I've just spent an hour on the RCI website trying to see what cabins are available and have given up in frustration. I'll keep trying for a little while longer, but our next cruise is on Princess and their web site runs rings around RCI's! Princess does a nice diagram for each cabin category, for each deck, showing every cabin that's available, while RCI shows you only what they want to show you, even when you choose "show me additional selections".

Edited by Kartgv

We did just as you would wish for last fall on the Celebrity Century. Tendered in Monterey, rented a car and headed East for the Salinas River Valley AKA Santa Lucia Highlands for a day of wine tasting. We left our purchases at the wineries, and reclaimed them a few months later on our way to Paso Robles.

BUT! I would also share that on a Princess Coastal, we brought all the bottles back to the ship, turned them in, got a receipt, and then debarked with them since Home was so close to SFO.

Monterey is like our second home. I wish I owned one. :rolleyes: