Anyone done the Caribbean Explorer 20 day cruise?

dabarger

Hello folks,

After using these forums to plan an excellent Alaskan vacation last May, I'm back again for some advice. I've poked around the Caribbean forums but the layout is for each destination so not very helpful for general questions. I'm looking at the trip starting on Nov 20th 2015 (hopefully that is far enough outside of hurricane season), was hoping I could pick someones brain about how much they enjoyed the trip or if it was too long. I know the sailing for 2015 is on the Royal and have already prepared myself for the smaller balcony. This is kind of a shot in the dark just hoping someone who has taken this trip reads this.

The list of ports are Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica, St Thomas, Princess Cays, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, St Kitts.

We were on this cruise in March. We had enjoyed a 28 day South Pacific cruise the year before and thought we would enjoy this itinerary as well. The Caribbean Explorer is actually two 10 day B2B. That means the production shows repeat and the menu repeats. You will spend one day in Ft. lauderdale while passengers debark and embark after the first ten days. While the ship and service were as good as ever we would not do this itinerary again. It was the first time I was glad to be going home.

Hello folks,

The list of ports are Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica, St Thomas, Princess Cays, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, St Kitts.

We did this trip on the Emerald this past Jan/Feb. We loved it. All the ports are nice, and have been to all of them before. Our plan was to just float around and enjoy, which we did. Beach person? Snorkel person? Many of the stops are really good water stops. We toured in St. Lucia with a private tour, very nice. In St. Kitts we took a Princess tour over to Nevis as we had never been there before. Nice place, but I would not select it if you have never seen St. Kitts. Most other ports we just walked around the towns. Our cruise only stopped at Princess Cays once. As we had been there many times we stayed on the ship, it was nice and relaxing. There is a turn around day in Ft. Lauderdale. You will receive instructions on what to do. You will have two choices meet in a DR with a staff member who walks you off the ship, through immigration, and then back on. Choice two is exit the ship before 9:30 or so, tour around Ft. Lauderdale and re-board anytime after general boarding has started, around noon, up to the last call. Menus and production shows will repeat allowing you to plan and space out activities. Guest entertainers may repeat. Cruise staff activities may be different, for example a rock & roll night on one leg and a 70's night on another. Depends on how good the CD is. You can book as a single booking number or as two separate cruises. Depends on the pricing. I would expect that pricing for the Nov. 20 leg will be higher than the Dec leg as Nov 20 is a holiday voyage. You have to work it out, and it will change once the promos kick in.

We have done both these cruises and would not hesitate to do the back to back 20 day. We particularly like the Grenada, Dominica and Bonaire leg as the ports are much less developed. (Read: fewer Diamond Shops) I can't imagine it being too long or boring. We love to snorkel and Bonaire is the BEST for that. Enjoy!

We have done both cruises separately a year apart and enjoyed most of the ports. We are actually considering a back to back for this winter. We prefer the Eastern leg of the 20 days, however there are ports we would like to revisit on the southern leg. Hopefully, time will permit us to be away for 20 days. If not, we will do one of the cruises.:D

We've done the 20-day itinerary for the past three winters during January and February...and we're already booked through 2016. It's really a wonderful itinerary.

I can't comment on weather during the OP's proposed timeframe, but we've always experienced warm weather and clear skies apart from those quick Caribbean showers.

Lew

I guess I'm the only one who does not enjoy the B2B . Just so I don't seem like an old curmudgeon, let me say the ports were good and the CD was excellent. We just did not enjoy the way B2B works. Personal preference.

We enjoyed a shorter B2B cruise experience. While the turnaround day in Fort Lauderdale isn't the best, we did enjoy being able to get off the ship and heading over to Total Wine to replenish our cabin. We only bought the two bottles we were allowed for the second leg.

We took the 10-day cruise to Princess Cays, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, and St. Kitts several years ago. A couple we met were on their fourth leg out of six that they were doing. They did not mind going to the same ports over and over again or the repeats of menus. The wife was a great info source on the menus, giving us her recommendations for lunch and dinner. They were spot on.

We are booked on the Royal for the 20 day cruise the end of March. I can't wait. We have been to many of the ports and love them. We will experience 4 new ports and are excited to see new islands.

I may be a complete weirdo, but I LOVE cruising out of Ft Lauderdale. We did a B2B2B on the Royal last year and loved every minute!!

Cheers, Denise.

Thanks for the feedback so far, I didn't even realize it was a B2B, In October and December i see a sailing every 10 day but the sailing in November is the only one for the whole month. Wonder if that will change the possible repeat of shows and whatnot since it will not be changing passengers. Any ideas for how to spend the day in FT. Lauderdale?

Either way thanks to everyone that has responded so far.

Thanks for the feedback so far, I didn't even realize it was a B2B, In October and December i see a sailing every 10 day but the sailing in November is the only one for the whole month. Wonder if that will change the possible repeat of shows and whatnot since it will not be changing passengers. Any ideas for how to spend the day in FT. Lauderdale?

Either way thanks to everyone that has responded so far.

Your 20 day cruise is also sold as two individual 10 day cruises. Thus the menus and most of the entertainment will be repeated the second segment. Ditto the Cruise Director's jokes and the Captain's jokes.

Princess will offer shore excursions you can take on turnaround day. I do not know if you can book them before the cruise. If not listed in the shore excursions for your cruise in the personalizer, then on the Princess web site go to "learn about cruising" and then "ports and excursions." They will say end at the airport, but after dropping off any FLL passengers, they will return you to the ship.

We did 3 similar r cruises one on Caribbean Princess one on Noordam and on Emerald Princess .This year 2015 the Royal is doing more or less the same .

I found Priincess did not stay long enough in certain great ports ...Like Barbados and Grenada and Bonaire .....we left way too early .That is why I now che k how long we stay in port

HAL ships do stay longer so youenjoy a full day ...pretty much everywhete ...that is my priority ...may not be everyones ....

Although I really like Princess I also like my time at the beach ...the longer we stay the more I like it

Michele

We've seen all the Caribbean ports many time over so that's never a big concern to us. We just stay on the ship, walk around town or to the nearest beach & return early anyway. Wasting a turn around day in Ft Lauderdale is annoying but since there is no other option on Princess any longer there's not much we can do but make the best of it. From what I heard from an officer at a group meeting they'll probably never go back to the true 20 day cruises since it's more profitable to do 10 day trips.

Just pick the itinerary which fits your likes and enjoy the cruise since it's all new & exciting.

When we did this cruise in March on the Emerald we took an excursion in Ft. Lauderdale on turn around day. I believe it was called something like Port Everglades and Flamingo Gardens. We enjoyed the tour. There are guests that get dropped at the airport and then the tour returns to the ship.

When we did this cruise in March on the Emerald we took an excursion in Ft. Lauderdale on turn around day. I believe it was called something like Port Everglades and Flamingo Gardens. We enjoyed the tour. There are guests that get dropped at the airport and then the tour returns to the ship.

It is Everglades (not Port Everglades) and Flamingo Gardens and is a tour we have enjoyed.

We enjoyed a shorter B2B cruise experience. While the turnaround day in Fort Lauderdale isn't the best, we did enjoy being able to get off the ship and heading over to Total Wine to replenish our cabin. We only bought the two bottles we were allowed for the second leg.

We took the 10-day cruise to Princess Cays, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, and St. Kitts several years ago. A couple we met were on their fourth leg out of six that they were doing. They did not mind going to the same ports over and over again or the repeats of menus. The wife was a great info source on the menus, giving us her recommendations for lunch and dinner. They were spot on.

how far is total wine from the port ? taxi ? We are doing a b to b in Oct. would like to do that.

Cori

how far is total wine from the port ? taxi ? We are doing a b to b in Oct. would like to do that.

Total Wine is about a 1 mile walk from berths 2 and 4…too far to walk from other berths. You'll pass a Walgreens, with a limited wine selection, on the way.

Lew

Cori

Don't forget to take a photo ID as well as your cruise card. Without it you'll have a great deal of trouble getting past the check in point. Also- don't bother leaving the ship real early since they only make you wait till general boarding begins before you can get back on.

We have done the 20 day B2B three times and really enjoyed the ship (Emerald) the ports and the weather. We would have done this cruise again this November, except that it is now on the Royal. We did a 7 day on this ship in May, just to get a feel for the ship, and realized that we could not spend 20 days on it. This ship is designed for shorter voyages. So as we love cruising with Princess, we have decided to do Mexico and Hawaii this year instead.

We are doing the 20 nt Caribbean on the Royal this November, it is a B2B calling at the same ports as you mentioned. We have done the caribbean loads of times but we are going for the weather to escape some of the winter. We paid £1399 for an inside numbered cabin including flights. I will report back on our experience in December. We have cruised many times with Princess so the repeat menus and entertainment doesn't bother us.

Can't wait to hear your review misscolina, and thanks everyone for the feedback. I would love to do a short cruise on the royal to see if we like the ship but i don't think that will be an option, the airfare and time off just aren't there. Maybe i'll just do one of the 10 days just to be on the safe side.