Would you consider Royal Caribbean a lot nicer than Carnival?

They don't have 24 hour pizza? I ate that frequently.

Depends on the ship. A Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class ship plus Majesty would have pizza around the ship virtually 24 hours. There is also room service on all ships with 24 hour pizza, though there would be a slight charge from midnight to 5am.

We cruised once with Carnival' date=' on the Miracle when she was a relatively new ship, and never again. The décor was garish and dark, making the ship feel very claustrophobic. The ship was way to small for the number of people onboard so it felt extremely crowded. The adult pool was in full sun without any shady place to set up a lounger. The cabin doors were spring-loaded instead of sliders, so they would bang open and close as people used them (particularly bothersome during the night).

QUOTE']

Carnival Miracle was the only Carnival ship I have been on and I feel exactly the same way as you do - could not have said it any better!

Of all the ships Carnival has, Miracle has the ugliest decor. The dining room is terrible, but that's not a reason to not cruise on Carnival. Depending on ship class on either line, some are more crowded than others.

I love the people I have met on RCI who say they've never been on Carnival but they'll never go onboard because they've "heard" it's ...... (fill in the blank) and usually their reasons aren't what we've experienced at all.

Having been on both lines, they each have their pluses and minuses. We think Carnival food is a lot better. We're going back on Carnival in Feb with friends and we're going with an open mind.

Edited by BND

I have cruised much more on Carnival because I grew up taking Carnival cruises. But now that I have a family, we prefer Royal much more because of their food, entertainment and the babies/kids programs.

Overall, they are similar in many ways. But I think the ships are nicer on Roayl and since we eat healthy as a norm, we have an easier time finding food we enjoy on the Royal ships.

We have been on 12 RCCL cruises and 3 on Carnival. Although the overall experience is very similar, each has it's strengths and weaknesses. I think an earlier poster summarized the differences very well. Don't believe anyone who claims there is a vast difference between any mass market cruise line.. If you really want a different, upscale cruise, you have to pay a much higher price -more than double.

Not sure what "nicer" means but we perfer Royal. Our most recent cruise was on the Carnival Legend. The food and shows were very good; the decor appalling. I can't imagine who came up with the heavy, dark, Greek/Medieval theme for that ship.

My hubby and I have done 3 Carnival, 1 Norwegian and 6 Royal and our young adults have been on most of these also. We never do the MDR but buffets only so just based on that RCI outdoes Carnival easily they have very few choices for supper, many nights after eating on Carnival my hubby would be hungry and want pizza (and he doesn't even care for it very much!) It is nice that Carnival has a grill out by the pool.

Entertainment is classier on RCI I may be a prude and that's ok, but I didn't like taking my young teenage son and a 6 yr old nephew (1 x) to a family show and have the dancers wearing thongs that you could see clearly as they danced! Just not necessary for a family show! You can be a little more appropriate for families and much classier than that!

Décor isn't important to me as long as things are clean I'm pretty easy to please!

My families choice last Sept go a different line to more ports (less sea days)

or go Royal family vote - ROYAL!!!! Ages 48,26 24 and 21

Edited by tidygirl

My answer would be "depends". We just did the Carnival Dream and loved the ship. We had a spa balcony and hardly ever left the adults only deck. It was outstanding. The food was much better than any cruise ship food I have had in the last ten years. Last two before that were Royal and on one we had a grand sweet :) Really loved it, but again found the food on Dream much better. Found service about the same.

Maybe the décor is important to some, but personally I really don't care.

I used to think the same thing as some of these responses about Carnival until I actually sailed on the Dream and Breeze. I was extremely impressed and actually prefer those ships to the older RCCL ships I've been on. Decor is open, airy and spacious. Spa areas and adult-only decks are very well-appointed and relaxing. There are tons of fee-free dining options that are actually very good and a high energy cruise staff, especially the Cruise Directors who tend to be very interactive with guests. The ports are great, especially the Western and Southern Carib ports. Best of all, due to tons of sales and specials you can cruise for more than 50% off RCCL's ships. I actually paid $650 pp with everything included (taxes, port chg, grats) for a Lido balcony deck. I know RCCL would've been more than double that price on a ship like Explorer of the Seas bc I paid more back in 2007. Not worth it to me for snooty service, a tiny ice rink I won't use and crowded Promenade.

Now granted, I'm sure the Oasis class ships blow any Carnival ship out of the water because of the awesome amenities and attractions. I plan on trying one of those in the next few years. But I'm sticking to Carnival for value for a really nice summer family cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I have sailed on both, and we preferred RCCL. Then this last February, we sailed on the Carnival Magic. We are leaving on the RCCL Navigator the first week in September. All I can say is that RCCL is going to be pressed to be better than the Carnival Magic. They had the best food that we have ever had on any cruise. The entertainment left something to be desired however. I'm anxious for our Navigator cruise so I can compare them again.

Been on both and Carnival is no longer an option. Everyone has their own opinion. None are right or wrong but Carnival no longer meets our overall cruising needs. Their ships are too crowded. Food and entertainment is subjective so that will vary by the person.

The ships themselves is where RCI is light years ahead of Carnival who just builds the same design over and over but larger with more people. That might change with the new Vista but we shall see.

The best way to know is try RCI for yourself.

Edited by cruisingator2

I've never been on Carnival, but I am confident in acuracy of my evaluation. Carnival cruises are not unlike paddling a canoe through the Louisiana swamps during mosquito season. Sailing Royal, on the other hand, is a taste of pure perfection, heaven on the sea.

I've never been on Carnival, but I am confident in acuracy of my evaluation. Carnival cruises are not unlike paddling a canoe through the Louisiana swamps during mosquito season. Sailing Royal, on the other hand, is a taste of pure perfection, heaven on the sea.

Yeah, okay. Ever heard of throwing out the high and low score in a competition?

The fact you've never been on Carnival disqualifies you from an opinion and definitely from comparing the two.... I do hope you're as sarcastic as I think.

Edited by BND

We have been on 2 Royal cruises and 12 Carnival cruises. Royals ships are beautiful 5 star, carnival 3 1/2 star. Food is a toss up, the same in the MDR. We like Carnivals buffet better, Royals windjammer is a nightmare, too long of lines just to get in. Rooms and staff, about the same. Entertainment , Royals hands down is better. Carnivals pool areas are more crowded, but we are not sun bathers so not an issue. The Oasis def feels less crowded, except for the windjammer. Overall I give Royal an edge over Carnival. We have been going on a lot more vacations in the last 3 years so, value plays a big part in our decision to sail one or another.

This came up a while back in the ongoing "girls weekend" DW and her best friend want to do on the West Coast. We're all familiar here with RCL's extremely limited West Coast presence. Not wanting to be a Cruise Snob, I just found the two Carnival ships ported in LA (Imagination and Inspiration) to be OLD. There were few balcony cabins and even those had a very tacked-on look. A friend who'd been on both lines had said Cruise Ships are a lot like Las Vegas Strip Hotels, and in their case the Inspiration was the "imperial Palace"

A co-worker is a big Carnival fan and really likes the Magic, but I have accused him of simply viewing the cruise ship as transport to various Caribbean diving spots, which he doesn't deny with too much passion.

Other Carnival fans I've spoken with have really been blown away by photos from RCL cruises we've taken, and by comparison photos of theirs I've seen from their MDR are very dark, low-roofed. Others have tossed around the word 'claustrophobic' and it seems apt.

It's up to the individual if RCL in "Nicer" than Carnival. RCL's "Nicer" for us.

No. They're both mass market lines. They have their differences, but are more similar than not.

I agree with this. I have had fun on each cruise I have been on. I don't do a lot of the activities on RCCL like rock walls and ice skating so I didn't miss them when I was on the other ships. I loved the movies on the pool deck on our first Carnival cruise though. Also, Carnival allows you to openly carry on soda and bottled water. Overall, I find them to be very similar cruise experiences. Carnival is normally cheaper so if I can cruise more often because I'm spending less, I like that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by magicolor_girl

Our friends sail Carnival all the time and swear by it. They tried RC once and said they enjoyed Carnival more. These things are subjective though, everyone has different opinions and ideas of what "better" is. To some cheaper may be better, while others better food or entertainment may mean the better choice.

Personally, I enjoy RC ships, they haven't done me wrong yet so I'm going to stick with them until they give me a reason not to.

I agree with this. I have had fun on each cruise I have been on. I don't do a lot of the activities on RCCL like rock walls and ice skating so I didn't miss them when I was on the other ships. I loved the movies on the pool deck on our first Carnival cruise though. Also, Carnival allows you to openly carry on soda and bottled water. Overall, I find them to be very similar cruise experiences. Carnival is normally cheaper so if I can cruise more often because I'm spending less, I like that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Been on many Voyager, Freedom class ships and have yet to lace up skates or climb a fiberglass wall. I have however, been banned by wife from flowrider. :(

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I have done both and Royal is better. The entertainment, ship decor, and clientele are all way better on Royal. I like the food better on Royal, but Carnival is fine (food is subjective). I would go with Royal over carnival anytime!

It's people with your attitude that make me really not want to take my first RC cruise. From your statement you seem to think that you or people that sail on RC are better or higher in class then those of us that have sailed on Carnival. I hope I don't encounter people like you on my cruise.:rolleyes:

It's people with your attitude that make me really not want to take my first RC cruise. From your statement you seem to think that you or people that sail on RC are better or higher in class then those of us that have sailed on Carnival. I hope I don't encounter people like you on my cruise.:rolleyes:

Why do so many people take an honest opinion and assessment so personally. I feel the same way as the OP... I didnt like the majority of the clientele on my carnival cruise either...Maybe it was just the one i was on... Who knows. Does that make us Awful people? I am sure many of us wouldnt like the crowd on a regent seven seas cruise either....

ImageUploadedByForums1405305904.820594.jpg.30d7cc50bd5a1a8dc9f9df9a5f2792c7.jpg

Edited by Deptacon

We love carnival dream class. We have been on the dream once and the Breeze twice.

We sailed freedom of the seas royal once too. We paid a lot more and we were not a lot happier. The entertainment is better in royal and the ships are more elegant but the new carnival ship are not crazy in style any longer. We found the food better on carnival and cabins are nicer. We are going on oasis next year. But I would easily go on carnival again being it is so much cheaper but yet many benifits

Have done several cruises on both & most honest comparison is 7 day cruises out of Galveston. Have done 3 on Royal & 2 on Carnival. Honestly, we like the pools & entertainment better on Royal. Service & quality of food is about the same. Price goes to Carnival. It's the language of the Carnival passengers that give the nod to Royal.