Would you consider Royal Caribbean a lot nicer than Carnival?

LOL - only you could make such a ridiculous statement as to claim that all RCI ships, from the Oasis class to the dramatically different Radiance class - are "all the same." :rolleyes:

I was referring to all the ships within each class.

Besides artwork, they are almost carbon copies of each-other.

Even many of the venues have the exact same names..

Those are actually temporary. They are installing permanent generators as the ships are cycled through dry dock.

Don't even sweat this person. Be repeatedly makes these comments and is too ignorant to do any research as to why the generators are actually a preventative measure and are just temporary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We like carnival better than Royal Caribbean. Better entertainment and no extra charge for food in the dining room. When eating in the steak house, the cover charge covers all the ,sections not like RC charging 30 cover charge then 18 more for one steak and 22 more for lobster. Dining us fun with entertainment! Desserts are great! Cost is great too.

We have done 12 carnival cruises

7 norwegian

3 princess

1 holland Am

1 ama

I've been on over 100 cruises between these 2 cruise lines. In my opinion, there is a big difference between RCI and CCL. I think RCI is leaps and bounds better than CCL. In fact, I don't think they are comparable cruise lines at all. I put CCL and NCL on the same level, with RCI being above them.

First, I don't see how anyone can say entertainment is better on CCL. Later this year when Quantum comes out and Hairspray moves to FOS, there will be 5 ships with licensed Broadway style 90 minute productions, not to mention all the ships with Studio B, two 70 on Quantum, and the Aqua Theater on Oasis Class. Plus, RCI sill has live entertainment all over the ship and most importantly, on the pool deck, unlike CCL who uses a DJ or relies on their large screen to play rap concerts.

Second, while I must admit I really liked the Breeze, the majority of CCL ships cannot hold a candle to RCI's beautiful ships, even their other Dream Class ships.

So yes, I would consider RCI to be alot nicer than Carnival.

We like carnival better than Royal Caribbean. Better entertainment and no extra charge for food in the dining room. When eating in the steak house, the cover charge covers all the ,sections not like RC charging 30 cover charge then 18 more for one steak and 22 more for lobster. Dining us fun with entertainment! Desserts are great! Cost is great too.

7 norwegian

3 princess

1 holland Am

1 ama

WOW - That's quite a mouthful for someone who, according to your stated cruise history, has NEVER been on an RCI ship:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Laughable really. :p

Edited by The Sunset Glow

7 norwegian

3 princess

1 holland Am

1 ama

Totally confused here. It would appear by your cruise history you have never been on a Royal caribbean ship? :confused: How do you know you like Carnival better than something youve never tried?

Am I missing something here?

WOW - That's quite a mouthful for someone who, according to your stated cruise history, have NEVER been on an RCI ship:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Laughable really. :p

Lol, we posted at the same time. :o

Totally confused here. It would appear by your cruise history you have never been on a Royal caribbean ship? :confused: How do you know you like Carnival better than something youve never tried?

Am I missing something here?

Totally agree with this, but just as many "loyalists" that have never sailed Carnival and are the first to bad mouth them

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Totally agree with this, but just as many "loyalists" that have never sailed Carnival and are the first to bad mouth them

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Thats true as well. Not from me though. In 2008, I went on what was then Carnivals oldest and smallest ship and thats what hooked me on cruising. I guess not having high expectations or knowing what to expect helped some but I would cruise on Carnival tomorrow if I could.

RCI is better for me. I like live music. The RCI voyager class cruises I've taken always have more than 20 musicians (I'm not including singers -- only musicians). Carnival has cut way back. Specifically, RCI has:

* 9 piece "big band" orchestra.

* 4 piece pool band

* 3 or 4 piece dance band

* 3 piece salsa band

* 2 or 3 piece classical group (sadly, not on my Navigator cruises)

* Pianist (often plays during evening dining, and around the ship elsewhere)

* Schooner bar pianist

* English pub guitarist

Plus any headliner musicians for the theater.

Edited by Jimnbigd

To answer the original question, based on my experiences with both lines: no.

I didn't particularly like either of my RCI cruises. I enjoyed all of my Carnival cruises, except for the last one. It might be time to give CCL another try, now that they've once again started to act sensibly in regard to solo cruisers.

We cruised once with Carnival' date=' on the Miracle when she was a relatively new ship, and never again. The décor was garish and dark, making the ship feel very claustrophobic. The ship was way to small for the number of people onboard so it felt extremely crowded. The adult pool was in full sun without any shady place to set up a lounger. The cabin doors were spring-loaded instead of sliders, so they would bang open and close as people used them (particularly bothersome during the night).

QUOTE']

Carnival Miracle was the only Carnival ship I have been on and I feel exactly the same way as you do - could not have said it any better!

But if you sailed on the new Carnival Breeze, it's a whole different experience (but agree with you on those doors). Breeze design on promenade deck allows easier flow of traffic and allows access to outside with lots of outside seating areas. Many more loungers, cantilevered whirlpools on both sides of ship and the ability to take a stroll along the outer circumfrance of the ship. Lido pool deck area..has an added level with comfy padded loungers all around (with footstools) and perfect for cozying up with blanket and popcorn for a nice view a night for movies under the stars. Water park and sports deck with high in sky ropes course is really nice. The overall ship's décor is soft and sleek (reminds me of a Scandinavian feel) with a "beach-like" them in the buffet (with lots of seating) with tables, beach umbrella's and "fake" palm trees. I was very impressed. Never once did I feel crowded or cramped.

Standard staterooms are also wider than RCI's.

When you ask which line is nicer, it really depends in what area you are referring to. Both lines also have both older and newer ships. RCI's newer ships are extremely innovative and Carnival's newest ships cannot compare to those classes of ships. If you compare older ships between both lines, you will find many similaries with some slight differences.

All in all, when comparing cruise lines, it's always best to see what offerings are available on each line and ships and which of those offerings are important to you.

On a side note, the crowd on my first Royal cruise was very subdued (ship was "dead" at night..everyone went to bed early). The evening venues were practically empty. I was surprised at this. On my Carnival cruises, the ship is very much "alive" and very festive at night. I myself didn't care either way, but is something I noticed a difference in. I've heard others on these boards comment the same.

I do like both lines as you can see from my cruise history and upcoming cruises.

I didn't say they "looked" alike. I said they are more alike than different. What they offer is more similar than not. Not all Carnival ships are gaudy. I find a lot of the art work on RCI gaudy too, but neither is a reason to not sail.

We're finding on our next Carnival cruise ports that we've never been to and RCI rarely if ever goes to.

Reading comprehension.....

I never cruise for the décor. I found the décor between the two lines very similar in many of the venues. I think Carnival tends to have a more fun and whimsical themed look. I just posted that I loved the new sleek, softer look on the décor on Carnival's Breeze (some people say it's too blah), which I think is lighter and airy.

Traumatized? Seriously? 14 Carnival cruises; the only ship where the decor was really kind of crazy is the pink zebra circles on Splendor.

Enjoyed Oasis and have Jewel and Allure booked. Not because we love Royal now or dislike Carnival, just something different.

All cruises and ships have their pluses and minuses but I really am disgusted by the people that say, "never been on Carnival but I heard.........." There are drunks, unruly kids, door slamming and misses on menus on every ship. Try them for yourself, with an open mind if you can (doubtful), then make an informed, intelligent decision.

I completely agree. I like to try new things. For me, cruising is about the ports and ship's entertainment. I have my eyes out right now for NCL's Breakaway, Getaway (and upcoming Escape). Their entertainment options look fantastic. For my upcoming cruises on Adventure and Allure, I got a great deal on each of those with Royals' buy one get one, which ended up beating out the pricing NCL offered.

I've never been on Carnival, but I am confident in acuracy of my evaluation. Carnival cruises are not unlike paddling a canoe through the Louisiana swamps during mosquito season. Sailing Royal, on the other hand, is a taste of pure perfection, heaven on the sea.

Wow imagine if you actually sailed on a Carnival ship. Then you might sound like someone who had a clue as to what they were talking about.

Don't even sweat this person. Be repeatedly makes these comments and is too ignorant to do any research as to why the generators are actually a preventative measure and are just temporary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What exactly are they there to prevent? They won't get you back to port. It's disappointing that they weren't more aggressive retrofitting their ships.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. If someone were to do their research as you put it, they would learn that those generators were put up there as a result of a major incident that caused very bad publicity for Carnival and revealed a fundamental problem with redundancy on CCL ships that could prevent toilets and ventilation from working, as required by today's cruise standards. They will eventually all be replaced by permanent generators that are concealed, but the original reasoning behind them is not something that reflects well on Carnival.