Happy Hour

lynn2002

During the happy hours, does this only apply to alcoholic drinks or also to non-alcoholic cocktails, juices, sodas?

Also, does it apply to alcoholic cocktails?

The buy one get second one for a dollar applies to alcohol drinks, mock tails ( non alcoholic drinks) and cans of soda. They must be the same drink. I can not speak to juices.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes in fact I use happy hour to stock up on diet cokes for our cabin.

I was about to ask if you could order cans of coke unopened, but you may have just answered that for me. What a good idea!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thanks. My daughter and friend like their mocktails although they will have to agree on which one. Can we get bottled water to take on excursions or have in our cabin?

I think so. I've seen people walk up to a happy hour bar and leave with two big bottles of water. I've not actually tried it myself, so I am not 100% certain.

Can anyone here answer the other question posted re Happy HOurs NOT on Ryndam? Sounds like one of the craziest things I've heard re HAL...selective ships for happy hours????? Can't think of ANY reason behind that...or am I missing something?

Edited by eandj

I was about to ask if you could order cans of coke unopened, but you may have just answered that for me. What a good idea!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Sometimes they will even give you a bag to carry them ;).

I think so. I've seen people walk up to a happy hour bar and leave with two big bottles of water. I've not actually tried it myself, so I am not 100% certain.

You know I am a big fan of your posts, but you set this up for me:

You haven't tried the water???:D:D:D

Edited by Karen H
Left out a word

You know I am a big fan of your posts, but you set this up for me:

You haven't tried the water???:D:D:D

Very funny! :p I never tried ordering bottled water at Happy Hour. We had the Signature Beverage on our last cruise, so there was no "Happy Hour Discount" for us.

I am on record as stating the importance of staying hydrated. It's all about safety! ;)

Edited by POA1

About to be new to Holland America here. If you're traveling solo, do they give you a ticket or a coin for the second for a dollar? Or do you have to get it at the same time?

I do like the idea of stocking up on diet Coke though. Can you mix and match? Like get one beverage and one unopened can of diet Coke?

About to be new to Holland America here. If you're traveling solo, do they give you a ticket or a coin for the second for a dollar? Or do you have to get it at the same time?

Both drinks are served at the same time. Or, you can just order a double.

I do like the idea of stocking up on diet Coke though. Can you mix and match? Like get one beverage and one unopened can of diet Coke?

It's two of the same drink.

Both drinks are served at the same time. Or, you can just order a double.

It's two of the same drink.

Thanks. Guess I'll be using it for stocking up on diet Coke then. Interesting they make you take them at the same time. Every bar I've ever been to in NYC that has two-for-one (or buy one get one for $1 or $2) if you're only buying one gives you a ticket or token to turn in. Yes, it has to be turned in before the end of happy hour, but you don't have to cart two drinks around.

Thanks. Guess I'll be using it for stocking up on diet Coke then. Interesting they make you take them at the same time. Every bar I've ever been to in NYC that has two-for-one (or buy one get one for $1 or $2) if you're only buying one gives you a ticket or token to turn in. Yes, it has to be turned in before the end of happy hour, but you don't have to cart two drinks around.

You can bring on board your own Diet Coke, or any other soda, if you wish and keep it in your mini bar.

Edited by Crew News

Interesting they make you take them at the same time. Every bar I've ever been to in NYC that has two-for-one (or buy one get one for $1 or $2) if you're only buying one gives you a ticket or token to turn in. Yes, it has to be turned in before the end of happy hour, but you don't have to cart two drinks around.

If you watch how the stewards are racing around, and the bartenders pouring with two hands, you would agree they are working very hard.

It's much easier on them to get both drinks out at the same time.

If you watch how the stewards are racing around, and the bartenders pouring with two hands, you would agree they are working very hard.

It's much easier on them to get both drinks out at the same time.

You've never been to a bar at happy hour in NYC I guess. I get that they're busy. Which will make me not feel guilty for not getting anything. Clearly they won't need my money on drinks.

You've never been to a bar at happy hour in NYC I guess. I get that they're busy. Which will make me not feel guilty for not getting anything. Clearly they won't need my money on drinks.

That's part of the fun of travel IMO

Not everything is done the same way as at home.

We see and experience things done in a different way for whatever reason. :)

You'll probably find that the cruise differs from Manhattan in at least three to five other ways as well. ;)

No one ever said happy hour was mandatory. It does look good good on your résumé, though.

I know cruises are not like land. I've been on two Disney cruises and loved them.

The NYC bar thing (besides a very simple way to do 2-for-X drinks for people not together) was in reference to the statement that the bartenders and servers are "extremely busy" being the reason they don't do something similar on the ships. NYC bars are extremely busy too, especially during happy hour - and they still manage the system.

But it's all good. I'll play it by ear - I know the day we're in Juneau I'll miss any evening activities because my whale watching excursion is at 6pm. :)

What is the time span for Happy Hour?

Unlike most happy hours on land, it's usually one hour on the ship. Different bars have different times, but 4-5 and 5-6 are common. There are often additional hours of happiness later at night as well. They will be listed in your daily program. In our experience, the schedule is usually pretty consistent from day to day.

Edited by POA1