Would you spend $60 per person extra for a balcony on Golden Princess short cruise?

Stockjock

Booked a quickie 3 night cruise out of Los Angeles to Ensenada for a fast getaway (I'm in San Diego). Originally took an obstructed view cabin for $269 on the 8th Emerald deck, although I chose one with minimal obstruction.

Princess then upgraded me to a better cabin on the 5th Plaza deck, which was nice.

I noticed that extreme forward balcony cabins have dropped in price to $329 on the 12th Aloha deck and also same location on the 14th Lido deck.

Would you spend the $120 total to upgrade to a balcony? Granted, it's only 3 days, but still...

If you did so, any preference as to the deck? Bear in mind that my current 5th deck OV is in an excellent location near just about everything. TIA!

Edited by Stockjock

Booked a quickie 3 night cruise out of Los Angeles to Ensenada for a fast getaway (I'm in San Diego). Originally took an obstructed view cabin for $269 on the 8th Emerald deck, although I chose one with minimal obstruction.

Princess then upgraded me to a better cabin on the 5th Plaza deck, which was nice.

I noticed that extreme forward balcony cabins have dropped in price to $329 on the 12th Aloha deck and also same location on the 14th Lido deck.

Would you spend the $120 total to upgrade to a balcony? Granted, it's only 3 days, but still...

If you did so, any preference as to the deck? Bear in mind that my current 5th deck OV is in an excellent location near just about everything. TIA!

I would! We love the balcony and go out there every chance we get. ;)

There isn't a "correct" answer but I'd prefer to spend that $120 on doing other things onboard & I enjoyed the Plaza deck 5 location very much with the Piazza a short walk away.

Edited by Astro Flyer

There isn't a "correct" answer but I'd prefer to spend that $120 on doing other things onboard & I enjoyed the Plaza deck 5 location very much with the Piazza a short walk away...which ship?

Golden Princess. I also noted that there are a ton of unsold rooms, so maybe there will be further reductions in pricing as we get closer to November?

Golden Princess. I also noted that there are a ton of unsold rooms, so maybe there will be further reductions in pricing as we get closer to November?

Sorry about asking which ship because the title wasn't visible when replying from my app. :o

$20 pp/pd was the upsell we were offered from a guaranteed inside cabin to a BA balcony on Grand Princess a couple years ago. Was exactly half of the difference we would have paid at time of booking. We passed; in hindsight we definitely should have jumped on it. I wouldn't wait for any possible lower fares--if you are leaning towards yes, do it now.

We always do Balconies, had an OV just once. If for no other reason, just because of the fresh air, you can't really air out an inside cabin. Plus you can have great views and the fresh air while the DW completes dressing. Morning coffee is really my DW's favorite time. Her time alone with just the ocean, sea creatures and birds and the breeze.

Go for the balcony!

$120? That's $40 more per day -- is the balcony worth $40 a day?

Or, put another way, one that resonates more with me: $120 is 12 martinis. 12! I'd stick with the window.

agree!

to the op, would you use a balcony much for 3 days?

I'd use the money and buy an fcc for the next cruise.

So, the answers to your question are in.

Some say "yes."

Some say "no."

Guess it is up to what you prefer to do.

Yep, no definitive answer.

There are a ton of unsold cabins, so leaning towards just keeping an eye on pricing and inventory for now.

My experience has been that cabins with windows are often upgraded to balconies and insides get upgraded to window. They do this so that they can advertise with a really low price with their now larger supply of the cheaper inside cabins.

I don't know whether you've had a balcony on past cruises or not, but if not, I'd recommend trying one. Sure, the OV is cheaper, but the balcony offers fresh air and just a sort of ocean experience that's important to us. Morning coffee, afternoon cocktail, evening stargazing: It's all better outdoors. We basically figure if we can't afford a balcony, we can't afford the cruise.

I'd choose deck 12 over deck 14 if you go with a balcony. Deck 14 cabins have the gym directly above them.

Jim

I am booked on the golden in august to alaska, I booked an inside cabin aloha aft cabin there are 200 plus balcony staterooms avaiable hoping to get an upsell call

otherwise I am happy with my location of the aft pool

I am booked on the golden in august to alaska, I booked an inside cabin aloha aft cabin there are 200 plus balcony staterooms avaiable hoping to get an upsell call

I would rather get a complementary upgrade call.

Hmm - that is about what the difference was between a balcony and an aft full suite was last time we took the 3 day repo from Vancouver to LA. For us it made sense - we needed two credits to get to Elite and were going on a long cruise later in the year.

We got hooked on balconies when we first started cruising though - be warned!