On the Star right now! Hallways plugged with carts.

masterty

Azure Moon---

We've also experienced carts in the hallways on Carnival. BUT the difference is that the hallways are wider. A wheelchair, scooter, walker or stroller can go past a cart with minimum of fuss.

There are many times that there are no Room Stewards to move the carts out if the way.

If the carts are there 'constantly' as you claim, I can't see how this is a consequence of Anytime dining which only applies to dinner. People have always had their breakfast and lunch at different times to suit themselves.

Everyone would probably be more annoyed if they were not around. They do a great job, and appreciate seeing their smiling faces. Enjoy your cruise. Wish I were there to see the carts in the hallway. :D

I wish I had a "like" button.

Scooters and wheelchairs cannot get by. I once commented about this on another thread. The response was , the HC cabins are near the elevators. Oh, well.

One - I blame Princess, not the room stewards for this situation. The room stewards work really hard and there is no other solution for them. I wish Princess built wider corridors.

As far as scooters and wheelchairs, not everyone who has one of these can get into a handicapped cabin. They are often filled and these individuals take regular cabins. Or, individuals can only afford inside cabins and the only handicapped cabins left are balcony cabins. There are also other disabilities that make it more difficult to navigate during these peak cart times.

Edited by Coral

I hope you find pleasure in your cruise and take time to appreciate the excellent service these people work so hard to provide. I can't imagine them trying to get their work done without the carts.

Very well stated! Agree completely. When we see the carts in the hallways the only thing we think is " Woww! These stewards work so hard 7 days a week and very long hours to make sure our cabin is spotless. We know we could never do their job without complaining and getting fired!"

I can't believe the stewards keep their carts out in the hallways constantly. Clearly this must be a result of anytime dining. My last cruises I never saw the stewards except the first and last moment of the cruise. Now they are a fixture of the fabric. I see my steward 2-3 times a day and people can't pass in the halls with all the carts.

ba7ygy9u.jpg

Welcome to Princess, that's why you will never see a water slide on a Princess ship, no way to get the wheelchairs, walkers and scooters to the top.

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Go Hawks

I appreciate Princess' Stewards and the service we receive.

We have no problem walking past the carts. What I hate are the idiots that put their Room service trays out in the hallway,not in the little area outside their door, but totally in our path. Someone is going to not be looking down and there is going to be a major accident.Trays should be left in cabin. I assume our cabin Steward removes it. However, if room service is called, I am sure they would take care of it.Whenever I see a tray in hall, I move it in the little alcove by person's cabin door.If anyone is to trip, might as well be the guilt party.

On Holland America, there is a notice in cabin that room service trays will be picked up so not to put in hallway. They know who ordered and they come with a huge cart and pick up all the trays.

I didn't see any on Celebrity either. They seemed to work out of the closet as you mentioned HAL did.

It's been five years since our most recent Celebrity cruise but thanks for reminding me about that. They also have assistants, which, as I mentioned earlier, I like.

This is a perfect example of something that we who cruise Princess a lot simply accept, but when we cruise on HAL, DH always mentions how nice it is that the carts aren't there. I can see how someone who comes from HAL or X might find this a definite Princess weakness (which isn't saying that we don't acknowledge that the stewards work hard and enhance our cruise experience or that we can't still have a wonderful cruise despite the carts. It's just stating that other cruise lines have found a way to provide the same service without the carts).

It's been five years since our most recent Celebrity cruise but thanks for reminding me about that. They also have assistants, which, as I mentioned earlier, I like.

This is a perfect example of something that we who cruise Princess a lot simply accept, but when we cruise on HAL, DH always mentions how nice it is that the carts aren't there. I can see how someone who comes from HAL or X might find this a definite Princess weakness (which isn't saying that we don't acknowledge that the stewards work hard and enhance our cruise experience or that we can't still have a wonderful cruise despite the carts. It's just stating that other cruise lines have found a way to provide the same service without the carts).

We do see carts on Celebrity, but not as many as on Princess. HAL may not use carts, but it is the only cruise line we have sailed where on several occasions our room was not made up until after lunch even though we were out all morning. This certainly wasn't a deal breaker for us, but a minor annoyance.

Sheila

Never even gave a second thought to the carts being in the way or unsanitary, they usually come attached to a steward and a chance to chat with someone from far away. The only thing in the way and unsanitary in the halls IMO is all the half chewed, gross room service jetsam left by considerate passengers for all of us to enjoy!

For those who don't see the service carts in the hallways as an issue, I suggest you use a wheelchair, scooter or other mobility aid for a day on a cruise ship. Perhaps that would change perspective.

To the people who have full mobility and can dodge the obstacles, good for you but to make light of an issue for those who don't have that ability .....................well maybe think before saying it isn't an issue.

Azure Moon---

We've also experienced carts in the hallways on Carnival. BUT the difference is that the hallways are wider. A wheelchair, scooter, walker or stroller can go past a cart with minimum of fuss.

There are many times that there are no Room Stewards to move the carts out if the way.

We have noticed on Carnival and other cruise lines the cabin stewards had assistants and they tended to clean rooms faster and the carts were not in the hallways that much....plus the hallways are wider....the Princess cabin stewards we have talked to say their assistants were taken away a few years ago and they were given more rooms to clean....I think the OP may have been referring to how long they are in the hallways and the narrowness of the hallways.....not so much complaining but observing a difference compared to other lines....:)

Always noticed carts on ALL the lines I've cruised - Disney, Princess, Cunard, Regent, etc. Never bothered by it. In fact, on Regent, I one parked outside my cabin all day - every day. Now I can see how someone in a wheelchair would be inconvenienced in asking the steward/ess to move the cart - but other than that, I've noticed them but never was bothered - too much fun on the ships to let little things get in the way.

Got off the Star last Thursday. We were up early every morning and out and about the ship and on excursions. I don't remember seeing carts when we left for breakfast and only a few late in the evenings.

The ship sparkled, the seas were calm up to Alaska and back and the staff was terrific. I'd hate to spend my cruise time cruising the hallway and monitoring hte carts....

For those who don't see the service carts in the hallways as an issue, I suggest you use a wheelchair, scooter or other mobility aid for a day on a cruise ship. Perhaps that would change perspective.

To the people who have full mobility and can dodge the obstacles, good for you but to make light of an issue for those who don't have that ability .....................well maybe think before saying it isn't an issue.

I don't think anyone is making light of your issue. We were just pointing out the following:

1. The cabin stewards have no alternative. Theses are the cards they are dealt to do their jobs, and with very few exceptions they do their job very well.
  2. Stewards are usually quite vigilant and are aware their carts are out there. They will hop to it to make room if someone needs the entire corridor for whatever reason. I've had cabin stewards run out and move a cart because I had a hand full of bags from shopping.
  3. To make a major issue out of this and have nothing positive to say about anything else on the cruise is..well, nevermind.

We could start on how many times I've run into (literally) a scooter parked outside of a cabin that shouldn't be there or nearly gotten run over by one, but the point is none of this is anywhere near enough to ruin a cruise.

I agree that the carts can be a problem. I noted in the picture that the carts are all on the side of the hall with the handrails.

My wife has walking difficulties, even though she does not use a wheelchair or a walker. She often needs to use the handrails for balance - especially with rough seas. The carts blocking the handrails are a safety problem and could lead to a fall.

Often people without walking difficulties need to use the handrails for balance in rough seas.

Having the carts blocking the handrails is just not safe.

LuLu

All I can say is they bust their butt.

I see carts in the passageways all the time every day on every cruise.

I have no problem with it and never paid attention until now.

I won't notice them on my next cruise either.

Last time I asked, each steward had 19 cabins they had to service at least twice daily. Even at a mere 10 minutes per cabin (purely a low guess on my part), that's over 3 hours a day where their carts must be available for use, plus time waiting for early and late dinner seatings for cabin access (another almost 3 hour window). Those same three to five + hours coincide with when passengers decide to go to/from the various dining venues, expecting their cabin to be serviced before they finish eating and return to the cabin.

The crew does bust their butt to accommodate passengers, and I am thankful for their service.

Often people without walking difficulties need to use the handrails for balance in rough seas.

Having the carts blocking the handrails is just not safe.

LuLu

It would be interesting to know if there is a protocol for rough seas saying no carts in corridors. It would make sense. It may mean that rooms aren't cleaned, especially if passengers are encouraged to stay in their rooms.

I would love cruise lines to try muster drills with the carts just so they can assess the effect. Being devious when I worked in a production plant for one of the (many) fire drills I blocked an exit - the one most production workers used - with a fork lift to reinforce they had to know their secondary means of exiting the building. It was "interesting" how many people climbed over the FLT and its load. It didn't happen the second time an exit wasn't accessible.

The comment that carts are germy again leads to cleaning of carts after use. I would think that Princess requires them to be cleaned after each use/shift but again it is something that Princess would have to let us in on.

The food plates are a nuisance and I will take them back to HC rather than have them hanging around.