What innovated new idea(s) has Holland America introduced in the past 10-years?

Sam.Seattle

NCL was first with "free-style" Dinning and has recently launched some amazing new ships.

Royal introduced the Oasis Class ships bringing on board entertainment to new levels.

What new experiences has introduced besides burgers?

Edited by Sam.Seattle

How about besides food (someone didn't mention "Le Cirque");the use of DVDs gratis in every cabin; Mariner dream beds; luxurious linens and towels; free laundry for "heavy hitting" Marinators; and so much more, but more importantly, allowing passengers to leave cabins at their leisure on disembarkation day; and starting embarkation early, two "biggies" for us. We don't look for innovation, excitement, new bells, whistles, gewgaws and gadgets with HAL, we look for the familiar, homeyness (for us who spend up to 180 days a year or so in their ships). Are there things we don't like? Sure, a few but not enough to become deal breakers. We KNOW what we will find when we board a HAL ships, and nothing tops the sweetness of the Filipino and Indonesian hotel crew. NOTHING comes close.

How about besides food (someone didn't mention "Le Cirque");the use of DVDs gratis in every cabin; Mariner dream beds; luxurious linens and towels; free laundry for "heavy hitting" Marinators; and so much more, but more importantly, allowing passengers to leave cabins at their leisure on disembarkation day; and starting embarkation early, two "biggies" for us. We don't look for innovation, excitement, new bells, whistles, gewgaws and gadgets with HAL, we look for the familiar, homeyness (for us who spend up to 180 days a year or so in their ships). Are there things we don't like? Sure, a few but not enough to become deal breakers. We KNOW what we will find when we board a HAL ships, and nothing tops the sweetness of the Filipino and Indonesian hotel crew. NOTHING comes close.

Perfectly stated.

Yes, Yes, ^^ Yes and Yes !!!

The B.B. King Blues Club is a really outstanding addition to the entertainment, IMO.

Absolutely!! On the Eurodam last November, the band was by far the best group we have ever seen on a cruise ship. They commanded a standing room only crowd every night they performed. I do not know how many different groups perform throughout the fleet...the one we saw was from Memphis.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Absolutely!! On the Eurodam last November, the band was by far the best group we have ever seen on a cruise ship. They commanded a standing room only crowd every night they performed. I do not know how many different groups perform throughout the fleet...the one we saw was from Memphis.

There are several B.B. King bands now on several ships; the group on Noordam was outstanding also, mostly from the south; Tennessee, Louisiana, Alabama. They filled up the Queens Lounge nightly plus had their big show in the Vista Lounge two days prior to the voyage ending

I like the early boarding/cabins are ready innovation. I also like that we can stay in our cabins until disembarkation now.

The showroom at sea concept, with fewer dancers and better quality singers, in the showroom is excellent.

Beyond that, I don't need HAL to be "innovating" very much. I like the traditional way that HAL has operated, and wish to see it remain as long as I cruise.

Some new innovations within the last 10 yrs that come to mind:

1. Explorations Café

2. Culinary Arts Center

3. Lanai staterooms

4. The 'Mix' concept

5. Canaletto

6. Digital Workshop

Those are all good ones, John. We enjoy all of those....

What's your next "Tour of Duty", so to speak?

Edited by innlady1

There are several B.B. King bands now on several ships; the group on Noordam was outstanding also, mostly from the south; Tennessee, Louisiana, Alabama. They filled up the Queens Lounge nightly plus had their big show in the Vista Lounge two days prior to the voyage ending

Wish it were fleet wide on all Vista and Signature class ships.

Unless they all left prior to the west to east transatlantic, I think you had some of the same players we did. They were really good... As in "we bought a round of drinks for the band'' good. I know that they weren't everyone's cup of tea, but DW and I thought they were top notch. Very nice people, too.

I do think, though, if HAL continues to be the geriatric line (and I like that and did even when I was in my early 40s), they need to recognize that their septuagenarians grew up in a different era. Someone who is 70 now was born in 1944. They're still playing WWII era music and occasional 50s, but this 70-year-old spent her teens listening to rock and roll.

I wonder if I'll ever hear Led Zeppelin in the Lido?

They also need to make more technology innovations, like NCLs setup where you can text people on the ship for free. That was very useful to me on my last diversion from HAL.

NCL was first with "free-style" Dinning and has recently launched some amazing new ships.

Royal introduced the Oasis Class ships bringing on board entertainment to new levels.

What new experiences has introduced besides burgers?

I don't know when this was introduced on HAL because we cruised very INFREQUENTLY before we retired -BUT the MUCH longer itineraries [ "Grand" cruises and now segmented cruises put together] out of/into the USA [or Canada] that DON'T require long flights -are OUR idea of pure bliss!! We have accumulated over 1000 days on HAL [ that's MORE than 2 YEARS] in the last 13 years by doing those cruises and enjoying them wholeheartedly.

There are a million [ it seems] cruiselines/ships/cruises -to simple week-long near by areas LIKE Caribbean or Alaska cruises for those still working OR with larger families - but HAL offers a few VERY long cruises that we appreciate! [ Asia is our FAVORITE destination]

The other thing we TOTALLY support is the crew in both dining rooms/kitchen/roomstewards etc - from Indonesia. The longer cruises have 'given' us a HOST of new "friends" we really love! From our experiences these are LOVELY caring people.

We have sailed other lines and happily; BUT HAL is our favorite and MOST used!

Anne/Colorado ;)

The Star program is a huge improvement over the old one, with good rewards for 4 and 5 stars. The Mariner Society has been extremely well served by the latest Director, Gerald Bernhoft.

As noted, HAL's introduction of "Stateroom Direct" with its cabin-ready-when-you-board feature is a big plus for us.

We like the Cabaret Lunch on longer cruises, too.

The Star program is a huge improvement over the old one, with good rewards for 4 and 5 stars. The Mariner Society has been extremely well served by the latest Director, Gerald Bernhoft.

As noted, HAL's introduction of "Stateroom Direct" with its cabin-ready-when-you-board feature is a big plus for us.

We like the Cabaret Lunch on longer cruises, too.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a "Cabaret Lunch?" Never heard of the term.

Some new innovations within the last 10 yrs that come to mind:

1. Explorations Café

2. Culinary Arts Center

3. Lanai staterooms

4. The 'Mix' concept

5. Canaletto

6. Digital Workshop

Agree, but not as much on 4-6.

4 - Mix is an answer to NCL's "Bar City" with Shakers (Martinis), Magnums (Champagne) and Maltings (Whiskey/beer/etc) all in one connected space. New venue to HAL but not to the industry.

5 - NCL also on some of the older ships either has/had an Italian venue that took a corner of their buffet at night and was just more buffet space during the day. New venue to HAL but not to the industry.

6 - Wasn't this done after Celebrity had their Apple iLounges? Again, new venue to HAL but not to the industry.