Bedtime chocolates GONE!

cruisestitch

I'm a huge chocolate lover and please don't flame me for saying this but chocolate on our last Feb., Eclipse cruise was just not good quality :( Grainy. I'd rate it a step below a cheap candy bar chocolate. I feel for those that loved them but if you are going to offer chocolates - make them good ones. We throw ours away as I'm sure that don't reuse them, that would be nasty.

When they do leave a chocolate, at least once on every cruise, I wake up with melted chocolate stuck to my hair and a brown-stained pillow. Once it even managed to migrate all over the bed sheets. I can't imagine what the poor stateroom attendant must have thought happened in the night. :p

Sounds like a lot of people don't eat/want them. Wonder if they "reuse" the ones left on desk tops or in drawers or just throw them out. "Ick" if they do the first and huge waste if they do the second.

Well, I for one love the chocolates and do eat them! I honestly do try to avoid eating desserts on a cruise (don't think many are very good anyway) so many evenings I am craving a bit of sweet and the chocolate is perfect, before bed or after lunch the next day. But now that I know I can gets chocolates at Cafe al Baccio I'm really in trouble! The other treat I can't resist are the cookies at Cafe al Baccio; so now double trouble.

Please don't mention the "old days of cruising" or you'll bring out the "I don't want the old days of cruising" crowd.:rolleyes:

It's too late. I didn't think you said it 3 times.

When they do leave a chocolate, at least once on every cruise, I wake up with melted chocolate stuck to my hair and a brown-stained pillow. Once it even managed to migrate all over the bed sheets. I can't imagine what the poor stateroom attendant must have thought happened in the night. :p

How did that happen? The ones we've received are sealed so well they're hard to get open.

If there are 3000 cruisers x 7 nights that is 21000 chocolates a week. I would rather they take them away than find another way to cut back.

DH woke up with one stuck to his shoulder one morning . It oozed out of the wrapper

Being realistic how many people have chocolates next to their bed at home and have a piece before retiring? I know when you take a cruise or on a vacation you do things that you normally don't do at home but if it means giving up the perk of Celebrity offering the drink package to continue placing the piece of chocolate on my pillow I won't miss the chocolate, the grand brunch or other things they are cutting.

Happy sailing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Celebrity want us to think that they are offering the drink package but the cost has been incorporated into higher pricing, certainly here in the UK

We got chocolates in our room on turndown only one night out of the seven on the Summit this past week.

Same- chocolate cookies only one night on Summit, wee of 7/13, CC.

RCI eliminated the chocolates several years ago. Here is the response from Adam Goldstein on the change. Now that Adam has been promoted I look for similar changes to the Celebrity brand.

Removal of Chocolates from the Pillows at Night

We provided small chocolates on the pillow for many, many years and it was indeed a nice touch at the end of another enjoyable day of cruising. We decided to eliminate the chocolates outside of our suites for two reasons. One is our strong desire to eliminate waste where possible. According to our Hotel Operations and Supply Chain groups, on an annual basis we have been throwing away approximately 35,000 pounds (17.5 tons!) of chocolate covered by 780,000 square feet of foil. Many (but probably not all) readers are aware that public health rules require us to dispose of all such unused chocolates notwithstanding that they are foil wrapped. In our opinion, throwing away such a volume of chocolate and foil is not environmentally sustainable behavior. Second, we want to re-purpose the investment in these chocolates into the continued evolution of the onboard experience. We did not make this decision lightly. It was hard to say good-bye to the chocolates and we know some of our guests read into this a decline in our product quality. But we believe this is the right decision to make.

Sorry to all that will miss them. But we always left a big pile of them on the desk when we left.

Us too

I dont eat chocolate a night and seems we never got around to it....except maybe on the plane home

RCI eliminated the chocolates several years ago. Here is the response from Adam Goldstein on the change. Now that Adam has been promoted I look for similar changes to the Celebrity brand.

Removal of Chocolates from the Pillows at Night

We provided small chocolates on the pillow for many, many years and it was indeed a nice touch at the end of another enjoyable day of cruising. We decided to eliminate the chocolates outside of our suites for two reasons. One is our strong desire to eliminate waste where possible. According to our Hotel Operations and Supply Chain groups, on an annual basis we have been throwing away approximately 35,000 pounds (17.5 tons!) of chocolate covered by 780,000 square feet of foil. Many (but probably not all) readers are aware that public health rules require us to dispose of all such unused chocolates notwithstanding that they are foil wrapped. In our opinion, throwing away such a volume of chocolate and foil is not environmentally sustainable behavior. Second, we want to re-purpose the investment in these chocolates into the continued evolution of the onboard experience. We did not make this decision lightly. It was hard to say good-bye to the chocolates and we know some of our guests read into this a decline in our product quality. But we believe this is the right decision to make.

Wow!! What a waste!:eek: I have no problem losing the chocolates!

Interesting input from Adam Goldstein. And I'm in agreement with him. Even more so seeing those statistics.

What I am surprised about is, how many people don't eat them! There are 3 people with whom I cruise regularly. I am a mild chocoholic. I won't eat them. The other 3 people like chocolate to varying degrees and none of them eat them either. And here I thought it was only us!

Please don't mention the "old days of cruising" or you'll bring out the "I don't want the old days of cruising" crowd.:rolleyes:

Ummmm........how far back does the 'old days' go?

Must have been great fun in the days of sail!;)

I always took them home and enjoyed them we we got back

The more I read of Celebrity the less I want to go back. Ok it seems like just a chocolate, but to us it represents the quality of the product. We took our chocolates home and ate them when back at work, but always loved the simple touch of the chocolate on the pillow - a simple touch that adds that little something extra that CRUISE should reflect.

Am sick to death of cruise lines asking us to pay more for less - the things we cruised for are being eroded ( bands at the quay side, champagne fountains, brunch, the procession of the waiters etc etc).

These things may not make a cruise for everyone, but are some of those little 'touches' that make them special for us.

If this is Modern Luxury we will look elsewhere ------------ a sad day though.

Edited by Presto2

How did that happen? The ones we've received are sealed so well they're hard to get open.

I guess I'm a warm sleeper. The chocolate melts and just oozes out of the wrapper. Try heating a wrapped chocolate in a microwave and I'd bet the same thing happens. Or, try an experiment in bed one night. Just don't use the good sheets.;)

The real question is, why don't I notice the chocolate is there when my head hits the pillow? Answer: Getting my money's worth from the Premium Drink Package.:p

We were on Eclipse from June 21st to July 5th and had square, foil wrapped chocolates every evening. We did eat them and enjoyed them - heck, we were on holiday!

One evening, we bumped into our cabin attendant as she was leaving the room and my husband jokingly asked for an extra chocolate - she put her hand in her pocket and gave him several. The next evening we came back to the usual one choc on the pillow and laughed and said it was a shame we didn't get extra again.

And then I noticed this little bowl on the counter ... :D

a974c240-0942-431f-a734-760a1d00b4b3.jpg

We had them on our May 2014 13 night Silhouette cruise -however they chocolates were not celebrity branded....they were the same each night and were smaller than the old ones, and said "goodnight" or "night time" or something on them I think.

I don't eat them anyway so...whatever. It is sad to see cutbacks in general, though, especially in the music department (no a cappella groups!)

:(

Hopefully they won't fall out of favor with all of us...

We were on Eclipse from June 21st to July 5th and had square, foil wrapped chocolates every evening. We did eat them and enjoyed them - heck, we were on holiday!

One evening, we bumped into our cabin attendant as she was leaving the room and my husband jokingly asked for an extra chocolate - she put her hand in her pocket and gave him several. The next evening we came back to the usual one choc on the pillow and laughed and said it was a shame we didn't get extra again.

And then I noticed this little bowl on the counter ... :D

a974c240-0942-431f-a734-760a1d00b4b3.jpg

I should have read the whole thread first. Yes! Those are the ones we got lol. I thought it a step down.

Am sick to death of cruise lines asking us to pay more for less - the things we cruised for are being eroded ( bands at the quay side, champagne fountains, brunch, the procession of the waiters etc etc).

These things may not make a cruise for everyone, but are some of those little 'touches' that make them special for us..

Isn't it interesting that those are the things we are glad to see gone. Now if they would just get rid of the Baked Alaska and get better cofffee, I'd never leave a ship.

I agree CruisingChick. Can I live without a chocolate on my pillow ? Absolutely ! Is it a tiny bit disappointing to hear they may have been eliminated ? Well, yes. It's another one of those thoughtful items that made Celebrity extra special, and perhaps it's gone.

However, it's entirely possible, that they ran out of chocolates, or perhaps something new is to come. I'm more than willing to give Celebrity time to see if a new item is forthcoming.

As for your Cafe Al Bacio question, the chocolates were available on request, but who knows if that amenity will remain as well.

Celebrity is likely just following the example of other lines which decided that those "pennies a day" for thousands of passengers on all the ships in their fleet added up to a tidy sum that they felt could be saved without really losing any loyal passengers. It is probably disappointing but most of us will get over it and continue to enjoy the overall cruise experience that Celebrity provides.

Hmmm had em every night on Reflection last month. Wife hoarded em all. I'm a victim.

LOL! Good thing my DH doesn't read these boards...he doesn't even know they leave chocolates in the evening because I've always gotten to them first!

You could always purchase a small bag of wrapped chocolates and then take them out of the bag before you see your grandchildren....they won't know the difference, but will still be able to have their treats when you get back.

My grandchildren complained when we brought home the small square plain ones last year and wanted to know what happened to the large flavored ones. :p

We only eat them some evenings and what we don't eat have become an expected treat for the grandchildren when we get home from our cruises.

I agree with those that said it's a small thing but sad to see another nice small touch disappear. :(

I'm hoping that, like the ice bucket, if we request them they'll appear.