Bedtime chocolates GONE!

cruisestitch

My grandchildren complained when we brought home the small square plain ones last year and wanted to know what happened to the large flavored ones. :p

We only eat them some evenings and what we don't eat have become an expected treat for the grandchildren when we get home from our cruises.

I agree with those that said it's a small thing but sad to see another nice small touch disappear. :(

I'm hoping that, like the ice bucket, if we request them they'll appear.

Then I would purchase better chocolates and take them to your grandchildren. If you are buying them, they can be much, much better than anything Celebrity would have given you and your grandchildren will think that Celebrity started handing out better candies.

I guess some of us didn't see it as a nice touch, as we (and apparently by the tons they throw away, it was many) didn't eat them in the beginning. It just shows how people have different likes and dislikes, as well as they experience things differently. Celebrity certainly can't make everyone happy, but I think they do their best to make the majority happy.

If you really miss them, just bring your own, and put it on the nightstand before you go off to dinner and you will have a nice surprise when you get back to your cabin...a chocolate on your nightstand. Not only will it be a nice surprise, but you can purchase the kind of chocolates that you really, really like. My motto is, if it something that I really want/like, I never depend on anyone else to get it for me, I just get it for myself.

Edited by NLH Arizona

If you really miss them, just bring your own, and put it on the nightstand before you go off to dinner and you will have a nice surprise when you get back to your cabin...a chocolate on your nightstand. Not only will it be a nice surprise, but you can purchase the kind of chocolates that you really, really like. My motto is, if it something that I really want/like, I never depend on anyone else to get it for me, I just get it for myself.

I'll bet if we asked, our stateroom attendant would put one a night on our pillows.

I'll bet if we asked, our stateroom attendant would put one a night on our pillows.
I'd bet he or she would be more than willing to accomodate you. Mine would be the little Snickers bars LOL! Edited by NLH Arizona

Celebrity is likely just following the example of other lines which decided that those "pennies a day" for thousands of passengers on all the ships in their fleet added up to a tidy sum that they felt could be saved without really losing any loyal passengers. It is probably disappointing but most of us will get over it and continue to enjoy the overall cruise experience that Celebrity provides.

If you save $0.10 per passenger per day and you assume the average passenger load is 2000 passengers per ship and the ship sails 365 days per year - this is a savings of $73,000 per ship. Celebrity has 10 ships not counting the Xpidition so the total saving for the fleet is $7,300,000 per year. That is not a bad chunk of change just for eliminating chocolates that most people do not really care about.

DON

When they do leave a chocolate, at least once on every cruise, I wake up with melted chocolate stuck to my hair and a brown-stained pillow. Once it even managed to migrate all over the bed sheets. I can't imagine what the poor stateroom attendant must have thought happened in the night. :p

Same thing happened to my son last week on the Reflection....:)

When they do leave a chocolate, at least once on every cruise, I wake up with melted chocolate stuck to my hair and a brown-stained pillow. Once it even managed to migrate all over the bed sheets. I can't imagine what the poor stateroom attendant must have thought happened in the night. :p

That made me chuckle as on one cruise, I slept on one and ended sticking to my chest. By the time, I woke up I had smeared it everywhere. Got the steward, he changed sheets and also laughed. I tipped him for being a good sport.

I won't be missing any worthless chocolate :rolleyes:.

If you save $0.10 per passenger per day and you assume the average passenger load is 2000 passengers per ship and the ship sails 365 days per year - this is a savings of $73,000 per ship. Celebrity has 10 ships not counting the Xpidition so the total saving for the fleet is $7,300,000 per year. That is not a bad chunk of change just for eliminating chocolates that most people do not really care about.

DON

I think you have an extra 0 in there...it would be $730,000...still not bad...but not in the millions.

The bottom line is that the cost of cocoa beans has risen 18% this year alone. Hersey and Mars have announced that they are raising prices. It is no longer economical for the cruise line to offer this service. Next to be cut is any dessert that is made with chocolate. Judging by this thread not many like chocolate anyway so I don't see this to be a problem.

I remember them as being pretty good quality dark chocolate which is my favorite. I only saw them once on our last 7 day cruise. Never thought to ask the cabin steward for them.

Sue

The latest ones are made in Vancouver using Belgian milk chocolate.

Never really loved the flavoured Celebrity ones. We always saved them up and brought them home to our kids who didn't even care for them. I still have a bag of them kicking around if anyone wants them....actually if they're really so popular, maybe I should put them on eBay. Maybe I'll make enough for another cruise. lol. :D

I think you have an extra 0 in there...it would be $730,000...still not bad...but not in the millions.

You are right. Sorry. I would have also figured it out over the entire corporate fleet but it would have been too much trouble.

DON

Yep, was going to throw that one in - that maybe it's to cut down on laundry costs, especially with the drinks package offers, I wonder how many go back to cabin, and forget about the chocolate, maybe just fall onto the bed and then wake up with melted chocolate all over the pillow and their hair ;)

We never eat the chocolates either, they just pile up to bring home - sounds like plenty don't actually eat them - so better to save that cost there than actually have it wasted - maybe they should ask if you want them or not, then they can still do them for those that do, but save a lot of money as well for those that don't ?

With the chocolates in the coffee shop, do you have to be buying a drink in the coffee shop to be able to have a chocolate, or one of the other pastries, etc. they have?

Thanks

Nyree :)

The latest ones are made in Vancouver using Belgian milk chocolate.

That is why they were so nice on our recent Eclipse cruise. Normally don't eat them but my husband tried one and commented on how nice they were. First cruise we have actually eaten them all! though not at night. We put them in the fridge to eat when hungry! The following day.

The bottom line is that the cost of cocoa beans has risen 18% this year alone. Hersey and Mars have announced that they are raising prices. It is no longer economical for the cruise line to offer this service. Next to be cut is any dessert that is made with chocolate. Judging by this thread not many like chocolate anyway so I don't see this to be a problem.

Don't you dare touch my chocolate desserts! :) While I'm not a big fan of the mediocre chocolate squares of chocolate left on my pillow, there are many desserts made with chocolate that are delicious. I could be wrong, but I didn't see many (any?) posts where the contributors said that they didn't like chocolate at all.

Don't you dare touch my chocolate desserts! :) While I'm not a big fan of the mediocre chocolate squares of chocolate left on my pillow, there are many desserts made with chocolate that are delicious. I could be wrong, but I didn't see many (any?) posts where the contributors said that they didn't like chocolate at all.

Exactly, in fact they need more chocolate desserts on the menu.

I think you are mistaken and taking what people are saying out of context. I love chocolate, just not a fan of little squares of it. Cake, pie, ice cream, syrup, all sorts of other ways. I think there would be a mass revolt of they completely eliminated chocolate from the ship.

I think you are mistaken and taking what people are saying out of context. I love chocolate, just not a fan of little squares of it. Cake, pie, ice cream, syrup, all sorts of other ways. I think there would be a mass revolt of they completely eliminated chocolate from the ship.

Yep agree never eat the pillow chocs but do like dark chocolate desserts :) Plus that's different because people are specifically requesting it so there is less waste (yes there is still some waste as eyes can be bigger than belly sometimes ;) whereas the little pillow chocs are given to everyone regardless of whether they want one or not hence the tons of waste mentioned earlier

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

The servers on the Summit were good about bringing the box around and offering them. You could also ask for them at the counter. They are petite, very thin pieces of chocolate in a variety of flavors.

I'd read on here about the wonderful chocolates at Café al Bacio, and so I asked about them when we were on the Infinity last fall. The folks at al Bacio looked at me like I was crazy. I'll try again on the Silhouette in November.

As for the chocolates on the pillow . . . it was one of those nice little touches that made things seem special. Can we live without them? Of course, but it's one more little feeling special thing that's gone.

While I understand no company wants to throw away large amounts of expensive chocolates, why not make it voluntary like the ice bucket?

I also agree, if this is indeed a new thing, time to offer better chocolate elsewhere.