Is early booking really more costly?

clementine01

The following was taken from a cruise blog. Is it true that early booking is a bad thing to do? Are the best price drops really 60 days prior to sailing?

"As early as one year before the sail date, cruise ships block the best spots like midship locations, in an attempt to sell out the less wanted locations. It's like real estate development, start selling the worst location, thus phase 1 could be that end of the blueprint. Then open the next phase which is more accessible.

Don't sweat it out, don't allow the pressure-selling agent to book you just because it's free deposit! The downside of booking early is that your final payment will become due 120 days before sailing date. What the agent does not say is that, in the event of price drop (which is likely to happen 60 days before the sail date) and you have fully paid your reservation, there is no way to adjust your pricing unless you cancel your reservation with penalty equivalent to your deposit, or as much as 50% or more of your payment, depending on how close it is to sailing date. In short, you are discouraged from canceling and rebooking your reservation in order to avail of better pricing and freebies.

The so-called "price guarantee" has a lot of fine prints that the cruise line and travel agents do not tell their clients. Whether you are first or nth time cruiser, and simply too ecstatic for that vacation of a lifetime with your loved ones, it is easy to overlook that your next door cabin actually paid half of what you did a year ago!"

In 20 cruises, only one time did we experience a price drop and that was for my son's inside cabin on Explorer and we got a $100 pp reduction for him and his friends. Our balcony cabin went up in price over $300 pp. we are booked on the Quantum next year , booked the first day cabins opened. At the current rate, we would have been locked out.

Besides, having my choice of cabins is very important to me.

Edited by celebrity

The point the article was making is that the best price reductions are within 60 days of sailing. If you've booked very early and paid your fee in full prior to that 60 day window, then there's no way to adjust the price you paid to take advantage of the reduction.

Has anyone responded to a price reduction after they've paid in full and been offered OBCs or a cabin upgrade in place of the reduced price?

it is easy to overlook that your next door cabin actually paid half of what you did a year ago!"

Why would I care what other passengers paid on their cruise? It makes no difference to me. If I didn't think that the price I paid was reasonable for what I was getting (including getting the assured cabin space, getting the anticipation, getting the planning, etc), then I wouldn't have paid it.

If all that mattered to me was finding a bargain, that would be different - but I don't find enjoyment or pleasure in snatching a hidden bargain that others missed, I find enjoyment and pleasure in going on the vacation I planned and have been looking forward to. I'd hate to find out I didn't get it because I was holding out for a bargain.

Why would I care what other passengers paid on their cruise? It makes no difference to me. If I didn't think that the price I paid was reasonable for what I was getting (including getting the assured cabin space, getting the anticipation, getting the planning, etc), then I wouldn't have paid it.

If all that mattered to me was finding a bargain, that would be different - but I don't find enjoyment or pleasure in snatching a hidden bargain that others missed, I find enjoyment and pleasure in going on the vacation I planned and have been looking forward to. I'd hate to find out I didn't get it because I was holding out for a bargain.

Amen! Add in airfare, hotel rooms and if you are like me, a need to notify my employer of scheduled time off, booking at the last minute doesn't work.

Guest maddycat

I've been booking our cruises as soon as the bookings open. I watch the cruiseline's website for price drops. Sometimes I'll find a price drop, contact the cruiseline and get the reduced price. Most of the time the prices only increase and I'm happy that I booked when I did at the lower rate. Right now I have one cruise that has gone up $1160 per person. On another cruise, I was able to get a BOGOHO a week after the initial booking. I saved $814. Since then, the price has gone up $1340 for the two of us ($670 per person).

I'll always book early. I get the cabin I want and I get the best prices.

We start checking itineraries and preferred dates first, then ships which meet those aspects - usually starting about a year in advance (tough to nail down times much earlier) - when we see accommodations we like at a price which seems good, we book - generally about nine months out. Rarely have we seen significant price drops - and even if there are, we are getting what we wanted: cabin choice, dining time, etc. at a price which seemed good --- no point in obsessing about POSSIBLE price drops - which would likely be offset by increased air fare in any case.

My last two cruises as well as my upcoming one were all booked 16 months in advance. Last cruise never went down in price and the one before that went up. I prefer to choose the cabin I want rather than waiting and possibly getting something I did not want or that costs more.

I think a lot has to do with what type of room you want. There are more balcony, inside and widow rooms than there are suites.

We are booked in an aft balcony for our September 29th cruise. They are no more left and still have 60 days out. So if I had waited until the last minute I would not be sailing in an aft balcony.

We waited till 6 months before our sail date. We received a free upgrade and a 100$ ship credit along with several other promo perks. We went through a TA. We sail in 40 days and are still $310 below the posted price not including the perks. Look for the cruise-line promo's. Best wishes!

John

You have to decide if choices or prices are more important to you.

Booking early means that you can secure the dates and cabin that you want. On one line, which still uses fixed dinner seating, early bookers get their time preference and have top priority for tables for two. If you have to plan time off from work, or have specific cabin and dining preferences, then book early.

The best deals usually appear right after final payment would normally be due. If a voyage isn't selling well there may be some terrific last minute bargains. Late promotional fares usually are guarantee category only. You can't pick specific cabins. The later you book the more likely you will end up in a less desirable location. If price is more important to you, and you can be flexible with dates and cabin locations, you can book late.

All this depends on the time of year and the popularity of the sailing. If it's selling well the cruise line won't drop prices and ship could sell out. Booking late can also mean higher air fares if you have to fly into the the embarkation port.

As others have said it all depends on what is important to you. We normally have sailed with our kids so need 2 cabins next to or across from each other in the categories we wanted. If we waited until 60 days before or less we would not have cruised. On top of that since it is usually prime cruising time the prices have almost always gone up.

Another thing to consider is air. The closer you book quite often the less choices and higher prices.

On the other hand if you are close to the port, have a flexible schedule, do not care about cabin type or location, definitely wait for a deal. I am looking forward to those days after retirement when I will be in that position. But that will not happen for a while yet.

We watch for itineraries/ships that appeal, and try to reserve as soon as possible, to get the cabin category and location we want, as there usually aren't many to start with.

On a cruise that sails in about 5 weeks, the prices have only gone up and up.

ALL of the suites sold out long ago.

Now, a regular balcony is selling for about $100 below some of the best suites, and more than the "regular" suites used to be.

The few ocean views are more than the smaller suites originally were, and the few remaining insides are more than the balconies used to be.

GeezerCouple

The point the article was making is that the best price reductions are within 60 days of sailing. If you've booked very early and paid your fee in full prior to that 60 day window, then there's no way to adjust the price you paid to take advantage of the reduction.

Has anyone responded to a price reduction after they've paid in full and been offered OBCs or a cabin upgrade in place of the reduced price?

Yes we have, and received either or. Our upcoming cruise has gone up $200 ppl so I'm glad we didn't wait.

Choosing the cabin I want is important to me - also booking airfares and accommodation early is usually cheaper. Only had one cruise before (P&O Australia) and that price did not go down.

And you could get lucky like me - booked a 7 day with Carnival Australia, that cruise was cancelled and they have put me on a 11 day at no extra cost. Plus they gave me OBC for my trouble. Equivalent cabin to the one I booked is over $1000 dearer.

I booked 500 days out lol.:D

60 days is the average time before a cruise for when final payments are due.

On popular, unusual or high season cruises fares usually do not go down after final payment. Also the cruiseline will have good fares on certain cabins and not others.

Two of our last few cruises only went up from the time we booked to the time they were sold out. One that we are currently booked on hasn't gone down either. On another almost every category has had ther fares lowered and OBC added to sweeten the deal. Our category was only offered OBC.

BUT we did book a last minute 4 day Spring Break cruise last year. Two double occ cabins were less than a quad and the same fare as an off-season cruise.

On these cruises the higher occ cabins are in demand, not so much the doubles.

Need to watch the fares and determine what is a good price point. We are lucky that we live within short driving distance to three ports and slightly longer drive to a fourth. Airfare can be a deal breaker.

I would love to wait, book 60 days out, and get a great price. But Mom, my travel companion, needs a handicap accessible cabin. Try to find one of those at the last minute. Some categories are already sold out for our preferred dates for Alaska 2015.

Vicki

I booked almost 18 months out. Because I booked with Carnival's early saver rate, I can take advantage of any price drops until I cruise. I also got the cabin I wanted and have time to save. Most of the money I've paid toward my cruise has been spare change or otherwise free money (rebates, surveys, etc).

I booked pre and post-cruise hotels a year out and they've done nothing but go up in price. Both can be cancelled if I find one I like better or has a better rate.

I booked airfare 9 months out and took advantage of schedule changes to get better flights. The flights I have now are running much higher than what I booked originally too.

Booking early hasn't failed me yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk